• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The difference between Let's Go and SwSh isn't that weird. Two separate teams working on separate sets of games. The loss of properly-scaled Pokemon hurts, though.
There is no loss between the two games, Let's Go was only scaled outside of battles even though it improved the general scale in battles a bit too.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The scale being off in X and Y was fine, because it was still a relatively abstract representation of battle, like the sprites. But with Gen VI and the trainer models being visible in battle, it looked... well, off.
114.png

Small to medium sized Pokemon are represented fine but large Pokemon are shrunken.
It's not like they can't represent really large Pokemon - Zygarde is 14 feet tall, Wailord is a little more than 3 times that much.
pokemon_sun_moon_online.JPG

ERAsaur

Oct 25, 2017
3. Something tells me with that Corviknight cry in the Jpn. Trailer that its gonna be the 3rd Stage in a Galarian Skarmory Line. It just sounds too similar. Dunno if it could work like that with no type change however.
Unless it was like Scyther-Scizor but also got a slight stat boost, I doubt it. Back when I calculated them from the demo it was slightly higher than Skarmory by like 10-20 points and was in the middle of a bunch of regional birds' BSTs.

Feb 22, 2019
I'm not deciding which Pokémon I'm going to have on my team until I know all Pokémon and stats, but Sir Weezing is a strong contender due to its interesting looks.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I'm not deciding which Pokémon I'm going to have on my team until I know all Pokémon and stats, but Sir Weezing is a strong contender due to its interesting looks.

It's funny 'cause I see lots of posts about the team they're using but I usually don't decide anything beforehand, besides the starter. I just go by whatever I stumble upon first, and if it helps me, it stays, if I found something better along the way I replace it, and it isn't until after the 4th or 5th gym that I kinda stick to the same 4 or 5 and the spot(s) left is occupied by a Pokémon I need to evolve, an egg, etc.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The scale being off in X and Y was fine, because it was still a relatively abstract representation of battle, like the sprites. But with Gen VI and the trainer models being visible in battle, it looked... well, off.
114.png

Small to medium sized Pokemon are represented fine but large Pokemon are shrunken.
It's not like they can't represent really large Pokemon - Zygarde is 14 feet tall, Wailord is a little more than 3 times that much.
Yeah, it's interesting because the models are all to proper scale, so they actually implement a scaling engine to scale them down.

I am curious why they have re-implemented this in Sword & Shield

Oct 27, 2017
114.png

What makes this even more bizarre is with dynamaxing we literally already have pokemon much larger than ever before on the field with pokemon their normal size so there should be no reason to adjust the scales whatsoever!

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Sword and Shield demo in Gamescon was the first time Imipidimp was given names outside of English so I wonder if his reveal is coming soon.

JUSTICE FOR IMPIDIMP

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Someone recreated the town music from the Gamescom footage:

I'm a fan, getting nostalgic Sinnoh/Unova vibes.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
are they? I should check them models again
I mean hell, Let's Go technically isn't to scale either, despite what people keep making out

Vm7bO3O.png

rFBmTPB.png

GdD1Ily.png

Mewtwo is 2.0m. Mr. Mime is 1.3m. Unless the 10 year old character is over 6 foot tall, it's not to scale in battles. Overworld is to scale and you can compare Mr. Mime and Mewtwo here

The scaling engine is still in play in Let's Go, but perhaps tuned down a bit which is what I'm expecting in SWSH so I expect Gyarados, Onix etc. to be the similar size as they are in Let's Go but everything else scaled up or down accordingly.

Hell, just imagine Joltik or Cosmoem if the engine didn't scale. You'd not see them easily

Last year I was sent this image of the models extracted to show how they are to scale as standard
DoLYZcgXcAAsB5K.jpg:large

Last edited:

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I actually thought Wailord was larger than that, maybe it wouldn't be so bad to have it scaled properly after all.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
The size difference between Wishiwashi's forms is great.

The Sword and Shield demo in Gamescon was the first time Imipidimp was given names outside of English so I wonder if his reveal is coming soon.

JUSTICE FOR IMPIDIMP

It being named Salivelf in French makes me slightly anxious about what its potential evolution might be like.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Because for some Pokemon battles it would be stupid such as Onix (28'10") vs Mimikyu (0'08"). How is that meant to be shown on screen? That's a 44 times difference in size. The camera would have to zoom out to see Onix and then you wouldn't be able to see Mimikyu.

30BEii8.jpg

It's really not that hard to fit giant Pokemon with tiny ones. Hell I'll even make a video using Battle Revolution comparing Wailord to a Diglett, who is also 0'08". The GC games handled it just fine. Don't see why Gamefreak can't do what Genius Sonority did on older hardware.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good camera work negates all the issues with pokemon size. I mean, that's literally what drones are for. The game freak games even have a benefit over the GS games because the pokemon don't run up to attack. Just pull the camera in to for the attack animation, like they always done

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
30BEii8.jpg

It's really not that hard to fit giant Pokemon with tiny ones. Hell I'll even make a video using Battle Revolution comparing Wailord to a Diglett, who is also 0'08". The GC games handled it just fine. Don't see why Gamefreak can't do what Genius Sonority did on older hardware.
It's not hard, no, but there's a reason why they aren't doing it.

The scaling engine requires more work. I already demonstrated the models as standard are to scale. Them not being scale in battles in XYORASSMUSUMLet'sGoSWSH isn't them being incapable. It's them doing this for a specific reason.

It's a choice, not an incapability.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The scaling engine requires more work. I already demonstrated the models as standard are to scale. Them not being scale in battles in XYORASSMUSUMLet'sGoSWSH isn't them being incapable. It's them doing this for a specific reason.

what people want then requires them to do no scaling. the weird thing is that what they're doing now is more work than what people are asking of them

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I don't get how they are doing the whole Dynamax gimmick but refuse to properly scale big Pokémon.
Dynamax won't be to scale either, they'll all bring it to a certain size but don't expect say Dynamax Wailord to be any bigger than Dynamax Raichu

The scaling engine has improved a lot though on Switch so they're not as bad

USUM VS Let's Go
191.jpg

kLocBuA.png

DoHtW2pWkAMmD_i.jpg

DoHtY9kXUAImvXj.jpg

We're going to see this more and more. The Pokémon are still mostly to scale with eachother but the scale varies so really small Pokémon aren't minute and they all will still fit on a screen and be distinguishable even when undocked.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY

Maybe they couldn't do it in XYORASSMUSUM due to the screen size of the 3DS, even if games like Monster Hunter existed. I just legitimately don't understand why Gamefreak aren't doing it when games on two older, weaker platforms didn't have any issues. I can't imagine visibility issues arising when they even have GS members on board.

It's just really frustrating that GF gets a pass for another bizarre choice on powerful hardware not limited by screen size. It just feels like they're developing with handheld mode in mind only.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Maybe they couldn't do it in XYORASSMUSUM due to the screen size of the 3DS, even if games like Monster Hunter existed. I just legitimately don't understand why Gamefreak aren't doing it when games on two older, weaker platforms didn't have any issues. I can't imagine visibility issues arising when they even have GS members on board.

It's just really frustrating that GF gets a pass for another bizarre choice on powerful hardware not limited by screen size. It just feels like they're developing with handheld mode in mind only.
That is 100% why it was done on XYORASSMUSUM because otherwise things would have been a pixel size

However, again it doesn't matter that the Switch is more powerful, that's not the problem. This is clearly a design decision not a fault of their development as they need more work to do this.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Standardized scaling absolutely makes sense when you have something like Joltik that's 10cm tall and clarity and compatibility are so important.
Now imagine a Pokemon that small next to a gigantimax Pokemon in a raid or something with the camera way zoomed out

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
That is 100% why it was done on XYORASSMUSUM because otherwise things would have been a pixel size

However, again it doesn't matter that the Switch is more powerful, that's not the problem. This is clearly a design decision not a fault of their development as they need more work to do this.

I guess so, since this has been a thing since Gen 6, then 7, and now again with Gen 8. Guess I better get ready for tiny Wailord in HD.