• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best gym leader

• #TeamBea - Sword Exclusive

• #TeamAllister - Shield Exclusive

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
The appeal is there especially for Pokémon Go players. My brother doesn't "waste" his time with the mainline games but he plays Pokémon Go hardcore. He seeks out raids and does meet ups.
His complaints right now is that he has too many Mewtwo's like over 20 of them maybe over 40 and too many Dialga's like over 30 of them but he doesn't want to release any of them because they're legendary and some of them were a pain in the ass to catch. There's some legendaries he has over 50 of.

I told him about him Home and instantly regretted it because he pesters my twice a day about it and if there's any new news released about it. He has to tightly manage his available Pokémon bag space. That's not including all his shinies he doesn't use but doesn't want to get rid of.

Apparently he knows of a quite a few other Go players interested in Home for the same reason.
That's a really good point that I forgot to consider. I've even started to play Go recently and I can't definitely see how more space would be a godsend

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Shoot that reminds me that I have to renew my Bank subscription this month.

Wish Nintendo and Game Freak knew about automatic renewals cause I have to manually renew my subscription each year for Bank.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The appeal is there especially for Pokémon Go players. My brother doesn't "waste" his time with the mainline games but he plays Pokémon Go hardcore. He seeks out raids and does meet ups. His complaints right now is that he has too many Mewtwo's like over 20 of them maybe over 40 and too many Dialga's like over 30 of them but he doesn't want to release any of them because they're legendary and some of them were a pain in the ass to catch. There's some legendaries he has over 50 of.

I told him about him Home and instantly regretted it because he pesters my twice a day about it and if there's any new news released about it. He has to tightly manage his available Pokémon bag space. That's not including all his shinies he doesn't use but doesn't want to get rid of.

Apparently he knows of a quite a few other Go players interested in Home for the same reason.
He does know that GO -> Home is one way, right? You can't get stuff out of HOME and into GO
Have they ever even given a hint of what Bank's total/active subscribers were?
Nope

EnvyMKII

Nov 3, 2017
So this video of a mobile Chinese knockoff Pokemon game is making the rounds.

The animations, however, really are incredible. I've never seen the core games come close to anything like that.

I believe that the knockoff game only features something like 60 or so Pokemon and each only has a single Special Move + Basic moves.

Considering the move sets of each individual Pokemon + the number of Pokemon there are I don't think they are exactly comparable.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I believe that the knockoff game only features something like 60 or so Pokemon and each only has a single Special Move + Basic moves.

Considering the move sets of each individual Pokemon + the number of Pokemon there are I don't think they are exactly comparable.
And the actual games have to, you know, make a whole actual game besides battles

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The basic moves still make contact or at least aren't a model rotated 45 degrees.

Deleted member 41713

User requested account deletion
Banned
Apr 4, 2018

pikachusurprised.gif

If he turns out to be too friendly then we have a re-skin quite literally lol.

I'm really hoping Game Freak doesn't mess up the final evo and base stats for RolyColy because the little guy is starting to grow on me.
I'm still not convinced on the new designs, we've only seen about 10 or so mons and barely any final evolutions. Really wanna see the starter's final forms.

Prison_mike

Oct 26, 2017
So what is supposed to happen to Pokemon Bank now? I have some Pokemon + their descendants on there that are 15 years old and I would hate to not have them anymore.

Will home replace it?
Will Bank still be useful for the portable games?

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
So what is supposed to happen to Pokemon Bank now? I have some Pokemon + their descendants on there that are 15 years old and I would hate to not have them anymore.

Will home replace it?
Will Bank still be useful for the portable games?
HOME replaces it but Bank will still be used for the 3DS games. Transferring Bank to HOME is one way

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
So this video of a mobile Chinese knockoff Pokemon game is making the rounds.

The animations, however, really are incredible. I've never seen the core games come close to anything like that.
I... would not call that incredible. They're pretty basic and bland looking.
so comparable to sword and shield

pikachusurprised.gif

lmao. I think the soulless eyes and expression is what makes it so funny to me. Like he's wearing a big mascot costume mask.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
lol none of the casual players I know even use bank, they certainly don't care about this, just like how it didn't bother them with Let's Go

But how many players have gotten non regional dex Pokémon through GTS / Wonder Trade in XY / ORAS / SM / USUM even if they themselves didn't import them from Bank? I think that's the real question.

Also, maybe not many players keep their Bank accounts alive, but maybe many people just paid once and brought in all of their Pokémon. At least that's what I do with every generation lol

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
But how many players have gotten non regional dex Pokémon through GTS / Wonder Trade in XY / ORAS / SM / USUM even if they themselves didn't import them from Bank? I think that's the real question.

Also, maybe not many players keep their Bank accounts alive, but maybe many people just paid once and brought in all of their Pokémon. At least that's what I do with every generation lol
Dunno! It's a fair question. If you mean the casual players I know from what I've seen they just play through the game to the end and make use of whatever Pokemon they come across. Be it through the wild or GTS or Wonder Trade or whatever. But I haven't seen them transfer Pokemon or get annoyed when they can't obtain a specific species.

Wider than that though I would have no way of knowing. Hopefully Sw/Sh has a large pool of available mons

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Given how Charizard seems to be Leon's main Pokemon, Gigantamax Charizard is almost a certainty. Despite how tired I am of the orange dragon, he isn't going anywhere.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Why is a patch not an option? And why are they doubling down on this decision for all future mainline games? It's a lot of work to create new animations for all Pokémon, but this can be outsourced and is definitely not impossible with enough manpower. Something doesn't add up.

1. Why patch in missing Pokemon when you can get the userbase to pay $60 for them in the next game a year later? Then make them pay another $60 a year after that to use more Pokemon that aren't in the games while removing some that were in previous games since they won't "fit the region theme".

2. One thing I do wonder is if they could not bring over the animations from the 3DS games, how did they get them so quickly to LGPE? They did all the Kanto Pokemon, their Mega Evolutions and Alolan variants for the Switch. Makes me wonder why they couldn't make it to SwSh.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Given how Charizard seems to be Leon's main Pokemon, Gigantamax Charizard is almost a certainty. Despite how tired I am of the orange dragon, he isn't going anywhere.

This is sorta why I subscribe to the "Leon is a fraud" theory, despite being the champion, he's not actually the good trainer he says he is and someone behind the screens (*Cough* Chairman Rose *Cough*) is manipulating battles for publicity reasons or some other sinister motive.

Mainly I rather the champion's signature pokemon is from the Galar Region. Wasn't a fan of Diantha and wasn't a fan of Bird Keeper Lance primarily because of this.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He does know that GO -> Home is one way, right? You can't get stuff out of HOME and into GO

Nope

Yeah I told him about that and the other feature like eventually being able to trade from Home and possibly other mini games or battles coming to it.

He is excited for it all the same just for the storage and possible trading alone.

If he turns out to be too friendly then we have a re-skin quite literally lol.

I'm still not convinced on the new designs, we've only seen about 10 or so mons and barely any final evolutions. Really wanna see the starter's final forms.

I'm not 100% on board myself. I don't rate a entire line individually, I judge each line as a whole including their base stats for the final evo. I may like all three starter designs as of now but once I see their final evolutions and base stats that opinion might change.

The same goes for RolyColy. I'm hoping he turns out well.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Do they ever show a lot of final evos before launch?
Usually, yeah.

Last gen, some Pokemon were introduced with their final evolutions first, like Bewear and Mudsdale, and then a bunch were shown later like Tsareena and Ribombee. All of the starters had their final forms shown before launch too.

Nov 17, 2017

pikachusurprised.gif

Hau 2.0

Animation re-use? In a video game?

Why I never!

I don't think this is the same. These are the same characters doing the same things in a fighting game series. It's a little more shameless when you have the rival character of this new game using the same animation as the rival from the old game. Like it's not even the same character. If it was literally Hau, I don't think people would mind that he had the same animation.

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I think I've let it lapse for over a year before and kept all of them. I could be wrong tho as my sense of time is garbage.
It varies. Some people have said that they lost their Pokemon weeks after their Bank subscription expired. Some have said that they spent months without a subscription and when they resubscribed, their Pokemon were still there waiting.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Smash is notorious for cutting modes and characters people adored tbh

The big cuts in Smash happened specifically when Sakurai actually went for a big animation revamp between Melee and Brawl (heavily changing characters like Falco and Ganondorf to give them unique animations rather straight up reusing 95% of Fox's and C.Falcon's like in Melee while removing all remaining melee clones) and afterwards hardware reasons though (Ice Climbers and transformations eliminated from the Smash Wii U/3ds games due to the 3ds) alongside licensing for Snake.

Didn't Sakurai say not to expect all characters to return in the next one though, that the Everyone Is Here thing won't happen again

Smash has to deal with lots of third party licensing by now though. It's really obvious they wouldn't bring back everyone if only for licensing costs.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Didn't Sakurai say not to expect all characters to return in the next one though, that the Everyone Is Here thing won't happen again
I'm not talking about games that don't exist yet, I'm talking about Pokemon Seord and Shield reusing animations compared to Smash Ultimate (a game that has multiple things impacting development such as character rights and franchise popularity when selecting characters) reusing animations like that other person was.

Smash characters also require a lot more money to create, as well as voice acting costs, third-party character costs, etc.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The big cuts in Smash happened specifically when Sakurai actually went for a big animation revamp between Melee and Brawl (heavily changing characters like Falco and Ganondorf to give them unique animations rather straight up reusing 95% of Fox's and C.Falcon's like in Melee while removing all remaining melee clones) and afterwards hardware reasons though (Ice Climbers and transformations eliminated from the Smash Wii U/3ds games due to the 3ds) alongside licensing for Snake.

Yeah there are reasons, but it still sucked. It wasn't just the characters though when content like trophies and stadium modes just seem lost until they really do a huge roster cut, which sounds like its happening after Ultimate.

SeZMehK

Turnip King
Oct 27, 2017
New York
I've lapsed on my Bank fee multiple times and I've never lost my Pokemon.
They give a grace period once lapse. I know I lost my pokemon since my NNID was banned on the 3ds back when Sun came out because I played my actual physical copy early. :/ All that work. Gone. Once that happened, I haven't touched pokemon since. I was hoping for SwSh to get back all the pokemon until this stupid shit of dexit occurred... >.>

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
It varies. Some people have said that they lost their Pokemon weeks after their Bank subscription expired. Some have said that they spent months without a subscription and when they resubscribed, their Pokemon were still there waiting.
From what I've seen people who lost their Pokemon after a few weeks lost them for some other reason.

sorakirosaki

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is the same. These are the same characters doing the same things in a fighting game series. It's a little more shameless when you have the rival character of this new game using the same animation as the rival from the old game. Like it's not even the same character. If it was literally Hau, I don't think people would mind that he had the same animation.
So joker doing shieks up air and similar would be a better example/ animation reuse is pretty much done in the animation industry to save time. It bugs the hell out of me when people go thats so lazy

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
At least Sakurai is telling us about not expecting every character returning now rather than a month after a new Smash is announced.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I don't really care about the move animations all that much, what I think really stinks is that Pokemon have super boring idle animations and the fact that we have walking animations for every Pokemon but if the very accurate leak is to be believed, we don't get following Pokemon or ride Pokemon back.

sorakirosaki

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care about the move animations all that much, what I think really stinks is that Pokemon have super boring idle animations and the fact that we have walking animations for every Pokemon but if the very accurate leak is to be believed, we don't get following Pokemon or ride Pokemon back.
Is riding confirmed gone? I can see following pokemon not coming because the amie/camp thing is probably what they wanted players to use to interact with mons. I can agree with the boring idles i wish they were at least in movement even if its just a basic loop

IHaveIce

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
... I can't believe someone pulled Smash into the discussion when Smash had other reasons, actually did a lot of changes to the games to stay modern and now delivered with Ultimate on basically every aspect, and then defends Game Freak in every thread possible lmao.

The Pokemon series basically lives of its name alone at this point the games fail to deliver the aspect of being one if not the biggest gaming franchise.
The games only evolved slowly and now they are too cautious to stray from their formula eventhough you could still deliver a story/narrative driven Pokemon Game with actually good animations with anchor points, Characters that show emotions and soul while talking, in their formula on console if they took their time or.. gave it to a more competent dev.

I know these are repeated claims and talking points usually spouted by haters, but I grew up with Pokemon and after Let's Go (which I liked as a casual side game) I expected more for the switch and am sad how something so dear to me never really becomes what it could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.