New Pokémon Sword & Shield Trailer (Gigantamaxing, new pokémon, version exclusive gym leaders and Pokémon)

Best gym leader

• #TeamBea - Sword Exclusive

• #TeamAllister - Shield Exclusive

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. I basically gave a historical thing about Wingull flying to counter the t-posing claim and got slammed to hell because it didn't mesh with their narrative.

I would point out the stuff about the mobile knock off, but when I did to a youtuber on Twitter who was pushing the same BS, once again I got slammed.
What historical thing? The one about the pokedex entry?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
They've recovered from the brink of extinction, Lapras will not have humans exploit it anymore.
R/B: A POKéMON that has been overhunted almost to extinction. It can ferry people across the water
FR/LG: Its high intelligence enables it to understand human speech. It likes to ferry people on its back.

I feel like they backpedaled a bit there

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I don't miss HMs at all, but it would be awesome if we could do things with our Pokemon like fishing in deeper waters with a Lapras.

Is it needed? Probs not. But I want it lol.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
So...does that confimed Pokemon chart need to be updated? I saw Ferrethorn and some others in that new commercial.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Base Mawile stats are so terrible it doesn't really matter it's typing tbh. It's highest stat is 85. Both Atk and Def.

(For reference, Mega Mawile got 105 Atk/125 Defense and Huge Power)
I could see mawile getting a stat bump now that its mega is gone. S/M saw a lot of stat changes for once and I expect even more rebalancing with this game all things considered

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
I could see mawile getting a stat bump now that its mega is gone. S/M saw a lot of stat changes for once and I expect even more rebalancing with this game all things considered
And lower them again in the next game with megas? I guess there’s nothing stopping them from flip flopping like that, but it seems pretty unlikely.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
And lower them again in the next game with megas? I guess there’s nothing stopping them from flip flopping like that, but it seems pretty unlikely.
Is there a reason to believe mega would be coming back?
If it is like past gens, not even a +10 boost in one stat will be enough to save it.
Didn’t some Pokémon get more than that in each stat? Not that it would do much for her either way lol

Like super big stat bumps would be fun but I wonder if Pokémon lose a part of what makes them unique if you do that, in a way? Like you shouldn’t increase beedrill’s stats to make it more comprable to his mega form

Castile

Dec 1, 2017
Didn’t some Pokémon get more than that in each stat? Not that it would do much for her either way lol
Lookin back, you are correct. I was thinking about XY when making my sentence, and Sun and XY actually brought sizable changes to a dozen pokemon, with some of them getting a boost on two stats.Though I don't know if even a +30 boost will be enough to save mawile.

Absent Breeze

Oct 25, 2017
Its basically a circlejerk, its impossible to say anything positive there without getting flooded with downvotes. there isn't even a single counterargument to the stupid chinese animation video posted there in the comments, and if there was it most likely wouldn't be visible because of downvotes
That's not entirely true, This is one of the higher upvotes comments In that very thread.

What really blows my mind is that they really used to be just a casual safe space. Criticism wasn't very common, mostly art, fluff and "look what I've found!" posts.
It really feels like this whole situation was a pressure chamber just waiting to pop. I remember looking for decently large vids/forums/groups that were a bit more critical of the games, and there almost were none (at least compared to the levels that other series get.) Even last year with the announcement of LGPE reddit was overall positive, I almost never saw a critical post reach the front page the entire time I'd been there. But now that GF has opened themselves up to critique it's like 20 years of it has started all flowing out at once. I said it before but it's pretty nuts that about half the top post from all time on r/pokemon has come from this controversy, and that it may not be as small of a group upset as some people seem to think.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason to believe mega would be coming back?

Like super big stat bumps would be fun but I wonder if Pokémon lose a part of what makes them unique if you do that, in a way? Like you shouldn’t increase beedrill’s stats to make it more comprable to his mega form
no.

Arcans_

Sep 14, 2018
I still believe that megas will return through gigantamaxing and I will only believe that mega mawile is 100% dead when I see it for myself dammit!

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
That's not entirely true, This is one of the higher upvotes comments In that very thread.

It really feels like this whole situation was a pressure chamber just waiting to pop. I remember looking for decently large vids/forums/groups that were a bit more critical of the games, and there almost were none (at least compared to the levels that other series get.) Even last year with the announcement of LGPE reddit was overall positive, I almost never saw a critical post reach the front page the entire time I'd been there. But now that GF has opened themselves up to critique it's like 20 years of it has started all flowing out at once. I said it before but it's pretty nuts that about half the top post from all time on r/pokemon has come from this controversy, and that it may not be as small of a group upset as some people seem to think.
For sure. The Pokémon fanbase has been seeing a constantly growing disatisfaction for a time now. This was what finally made it pop. 52k upvotes is no joke at all. I feel people who say this is a small controversy aren't paying attention to things. It may not be reported on mainstream news sites like BF2, FO76 or Anthem but this is surely one of the largest gaming controversies in quite a while. The biggest Nintendo-related one at least.

Which makes Game Freak's response even more baffling, tbh. They've changed their minds for way, way less before.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Game Freak considers Mega Evolutions to be separate Pokémon. When they talk about how many they are, Megas are part of the number. Combining that with their comments about how Pokémon not in SwSh will return in later games...

Unless they decided to randomly redefine what counts as a Pokémon on the spot, there’s no particular reason to think they aren’t coming back.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. Reddit has had dubious opinions in general for a while.
Try posting anything about the anime and you'll get half the comments about "why does ash look (expletive)" or "why is the animation so bad"

NeonBorealis

Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
It'd be actually funny if, of all pokémon GF decided to cut, the Honedge line was among them.

At least I still have clefairy.

Kanmurukillua

Jan 28, 2019

I actually distinctly remember about a year ago trying to find somewhere to talk about flaws of the Pokemon games, because I have issues with even my favorites, but I could absolutely not find anywhere at all to do so. I can attest to the fact that a lot of stuff has just bubbled up over the years I've followed this franchise and Game Freak's reasoning for this change in philosophy has just caused me to look even more at their games, both future and past, with an even more critical eye.

MegaXZero

Jun 21, 2018
For sure. The Pokémon fanbase has been seeing a constantly growing disatisfaction for a time now. This was what finally made it pop. 52k upvotes is no joke at all. I feel people who say this is a small controversy aren't paying attention to things. It may not be reported on mainstream news sites like BF2, FO76 or Anthem but this is surely one of the largest gaming controversies in quite a while. The biggest Nintendo-related one at least.

Which makes Game Freak's response even more baffling, tbh. They've changed their minds for way, way less before.
It hit the front page, it's popular to hate pokemon right now, and the subreddit itself has become a toxic mess that is fine with spreading blatant misinformation. The perfect mix to get upvotes.

It's a big controversy to the hardcore fans, but they are vastly outnumbered by a much larger casual audience that doesn't care about transferring old pokemon.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
It hit the front page, it's popular to hate pokemon right now, and the subreddit itself has become a toxic mess that is fine with spreading blatant misinformation. The perfect mix to get upvotes.

It's a big controversy to the hardcore fans, but they are vastly outnumbered by a much larger casual audience that doesn't care about transferring old pokemon.
Sure. It's still a massive hit to the brand's image though. As you said, it's cool to hate Pokémon now. You don't really want that for your brand unless you're planning a manufactured outrage campaign. (Which I'm pretty sure Game Freak isn't, considering their marketing is usually very traditional)

KillstealWolf

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder if Pokken 2 is in the works, would they be bringing back Megas in that or not?

And if there were new pokemon, would they get Dynamax as part of their moveset (Probably as the finisher).

Apa504

Oct 25, 2017
Who said that there are few people that are upset, a lot of people are upset, the problem is that they still gonna buy the games, hell even here we have two poster that get very pissed at every news, and they are gonna still buy the game, by their own admission.
So... it doesnt matter if they are angry if they are still gonna buy the damn game.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Who said that there are few people that are upset, a lot of people are upset, the problem is that they still gonna buy the games, hell even here we have two poster that get very pissed at every news, and they are gonna still buy the game by their own admission.
So... it doesnt matter if they are angry if they are still gonna buy the damn game.
Brand image does matter a lot for companies, though. Even if it doesn't directly affects sales, it's a bad long term strategy to disgruntle your loyal fanbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.