• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best gym leader

• #TeamBea - Sword Exclusive

• #TeamAllister - Shield Exclusive

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
TMs need to go back to one use each too.
1*AhUWAcuew-QFVAe7jPw87g.jpeg

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
There don't need to be less moves, Pokemon need to learn less moves. Normal types should be the only ones with sprawling versatile learnsets. TMs need to go back to one use each too. Everything being able to learn everything sands the edges off the game and makes each mon less unique.

I don't think they need to learn less moves, that's what gives variety, and makes every Pokémon more unpredictable. Which is more, I think if they're making exclusive/restricted rosters from now on, each game should give exclusive moves to some Pokémon that cannot be inherited through breeding, or taught, so you can only get them by catching the Pokémon in that particular game.

And no, TM being one use only is a nightmare that I don't want to live again. I could cope with it in Gen IV because of Action Replay, but if we go back to a Gen I situation where it's so hard to get them, so unavailable, that would be the worst.

Also some moves should become stronger, especially those weaker Ice Type moves. I like what they did to Leech Life in Gen VII.

PS: Is that Link wearing Britney Spears' Oops!... I Did It Again outfit on your avi? lol

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to go back to the hell of having to chain breed Earthquake onto everything just to make more use of it

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hey.

TMs teach moves that have less BP than the same move learned naturally or via Eggs.

How does that change the game.

Oct 26, 2017
There don't need to be less moves, Pokemon need to learn less moves. Normal types should be the only ones with sprawling versatile learnsets. TMs need to go back to one use each too. Everything being able to learn everything sands the edges off the game and makes each mon less unique.

Worst Pokemon take of all time.

TMs going back to one-time use is ridiculous considering how much you have to grind to get them again. TMs being unlimited isn't the problem. Same with Pokemon learning less moves. Did you forget how shambolic the Gen I movesets were? I don't understand how you even come to this position unless you're a huge Gen I stan.

Also where did you even get the argument for learning everything = makes mons less unique? Pokemon can have certain niches as a wallbreaker, set-up attacker, Banded/Specs'd attacker and so on. It's all dependent on movesets and base stats. So guess what, if you homogenize movesets, then you're contributing to make certain Pokemon less unique.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I like that some Pokémon have attacks simply because they give them flavor, like the fact that almost all the monkeys can learn Gunk Shot because monkeys throw poop. It does not really add anything of value to the game but I like it to be there.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gunk Shot's Japanese name is Dust Shoot so I don't think that's the intent. Also the monkeys only learn it via Move Tutor like many other Pokemon.

Passimian got it via Bank Event likely because it fits the sports theme ("Shoot").

But I agree there are little moves here and there that are cute references.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Gunk Shot's Japanese name is Dust Shoot so I don't think that's the intent. Also the monkeys only learn it via Move Tutor like many other Pokemon.

Passimian got it via Bank Event likely because it fits the sports theme ("Shoot").

I loved the "Monkeys throw poop" theory :<

Feb 22, 2019
Hey.

TMs teach moves that have less BP than the same move learned naturally or via Eggs.

How does that change the game.
Pokémon that rely on TMs become worse. Especially stone evolutions unless their pre-evo has a really good moveset. Maybe some Pokémon with good natural movesets would rise due to their competitor getting nerfed.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Take into account if a movement was TM or is not is an added headache that does not contribute much.

The simplest thing is to make the most powerful TM only appear at the end. Luckily Pokémon is still a linear game so you can control those things.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I loved the "Monkeys throw poop" theory :<

I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Gunk Shot is called Dust Shoot in Japanese, but the Japanese term for "dust" also means a few things, like filth and trash. I'm pretty sure trash is more what they're going for since the animation for Gunk Shot is usually like a bag of garbage or a trash can being flung.

See also Dust Man in the Mega Man series.

Feb 22, 2019
That's what I'm talking about. You can not give such powerful attacks at the beginning.
They also shouldn't be in the postgame like Earthquake in Gen 7. The only good physical Ground move that isn't limited due to flavour. Which means Garchomp was limited to Dig and Bulldoze until postgame unless you had one of the other games finished and transferred it to that game to learn it and then back.

ffdgh

Oct 25, 2017
The Mushroom Kingdom
Heck no. Infinite TMs are one of the best things to happen. Having to start a start a new save or trade for one TM was nuts.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
I agree that each Pokémon should learn less moves. I would like even more aggressive changes too:

• No more forgetting moves. You still have to choose 4, but past moves should stay learned.
  • Every Pokémon line should have an exclusive ability, and for the lines that have evolution they should get progressively better (for example, Torrent would be "power up by 25%" on the first stage, 50% on second, 75% on third).
  • Every Pokémon line should have a signature move, not necessarily a unique move, but one that when they use it the move is"better" (stronger, more accurate).
  • No more Egg Moves, any move can be passed down and it's done in a predictable way (the child learns the move from the first slot (top left) from both parents, for example).
  • The unique ability of the father can be passed on to the child on a random chance.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I agree that each Pokémon should learn less moves. I would like even more aggressive changes too:

• No more forgetting moves. You still have to choose 4, but past moves should stay learned.
  • Every Pokémon line should have an exclusive ability, and for the lines that have evolution they should get progressively better (for example, Torrent would be "power up by 25%" on the first stage, 50% on second, 75% on third).
  • Every Pokémon line should have a signature move, not necessarily a unique move, but one that when they use it the move is"better" (stronger, more accurate).
  • No more Egg Moves, any move can be passed down and it's done in a predictable way (the child learns the move from the first slot (top left) from both parents, for example).
  • The unique ability of the father can be passed on to the child on a random chance.
Sorry but I only like your first idea.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Ease of training a Pokemon team is a spectrum, right? On one end is the Smogon "select your team, moves, IVs, EVs, nature's, and abilities from a menu. On the other end is all the obtuse bullshit GameFreak used to put people through.

As a matter of preference, I prefer things closer to the "obtuse bullshit" end of the spectrum. It makes breeding and training a Pokemon way more rewarding.

Feb 22, 2019

I don't want to go back to the horrible movesets of Gen 1 to 3. If Pokémon learn less moves they become even more predictable in PvP. Many Pokémon already have very limited movesets.

Can you choose the 4 moves you want at anytime outside of battle? If so I kinda like it.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
USUM fixed it when they probably realized that meant Water Bubble Scald Araquanid by Akala Island.

USUM is a long series of Miltanks and Emolga's, and I love it for that. I am starting to warm up to the idea of a shit story if the gameplay is there and the AI is kicking my shit in. Once I finish UM I got a few choice words to say about it and Gen 8 in general, but man, just imagine a game with SM's story, USUM's gameplay additions and actual dungeons like Gen 5.

Feb 22, 2019
Ease of training a Pokemon team is a spectrum, right? On one end is the Smogon "select your team, moves, IVs, EVs, nature's, and abilities from a menu. On the other end is all the obtuse bullshit GameFreak used to put people through.

As a matter of preference, I prefer things closer to the "obtuse bullshit" end of the spectrum. It makes breeding and training a Pokemon way more rewarding.
Making everything annoying just promotes hacking though. With limited TMs hacking pretty much becomes a requirement for PvP or even Battle Tree.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This doesn't work on so many levels and would make PvP a slog/mess.

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Gonna say my preference is pretty much the opposite. Life is busy and I hate how when I think about playing pokemon, it just becomes this laundry list of "chores" I have to do to prep pokemon. Not to mention the fact that if I didnt prep thoroughly and beforehand, most of the pokemon I got through the regular game are very unlikely to become competitively viable. Game Freak has been taking baby-steps to make this all easier but im ready for them to rip off the bandaid and have the grindy stuff be more for cosmetic and bonus options rather than competitive time gates.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't work on so many levels and would make PvP a slog/mess.

I don't want to go back to the horrible movesets of Gen 1 to 3. If Pokémon learn less moves they become even more predictable in PvP. Many Pokémon already have very limited movesets.

To be honest, my perspective comes from trying to make PvE more interesting; don't really care much about PvP. I want more things to make each line more unique, and apply "theorycraft" ideas to breeding.

Can you choose the 4 moves you want at anytime outside of battle? If so I kinda like it.

Yeah, you'd have a list of all the moves the pokémon has learned and you chose 4 of them and the position.

Lpwnsome

Oct 30, 2017
As a huge Pokemon fan, I'm sad that I'm not excited for this game.

Losing Pokemon was a huge deal but not a deal breaker, but dynamax and gigantamax don't appeal to me at all and don't really seem to fit the series.

Mega evolution and even Z-moves I liked. This feels off to me and extra gimmicky. Zero cool factor for me, but maybe I'll be surprised and it will add some interesting strategic elements to PvP.

Then again, I've never skipped a new gen and will certainly play the game, but this is the first time I haven't felt the need to obsessively follow every reveal. Maybe I'll actually enjoy the games more than I would have if I don't pay attention to the news cycle, and even actually get surprised by discovering some of the new Pokémon when I play it and not before (something I haven't experienced since Red and Blue).

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Getting a good Pokémon should be complicated but not VERY complicated. If instead of values from 0 to 31 the IV had values of for example 0 to 5, you would still have variability and genetics but in reasonable numbers.

In an ideal world it would be an illusion of effort, not the immense effort that exists today. It can not be just "push a button" like in Showdown but neither what we have now.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
To be honest, my perspective comes from trying to make PvE more interesting; don't really care much about PvP. I want more things to make each line more unique, and apply "theorycraft" ideas to breeding.

Yeah, you'd have a list of all the moves the pokémon has learned and you chose 4 of them and the position.
But pokemon's battle system is so deep for PvP and that's what differentiates it from other RPGs (since now it can't boast having an ever expanding roster anymore).

Most other turn based RPGs involve asymmetric chances between player and enemies, while Pokemon's mechanics mandate both sides operating under the same rules (except Gens I and II), specifically because it is designed to facilitate PvP.

I'd argue that instead of trying to change what makes Pokemon unique to make the game harder like other RPGs, it's the enemy AI that should take more advantage of the symmetric battle system, going farther than "I only have Water types but one of them is Ground, you can't beat me with Electric so use Grass."

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The movepools should be heavily cut down and completely redone. Everyone would lose their shit and start movexit or whatever, but they all can learn too many things and it makes a lot of pokemon samey or redundant or makes entire types pointless. Why can everything learn toxic, anyway?
After seeing the community react you're shocked that everything can be toxic? :p

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018

Nice list of changes. Did you see the video by Jello? He has some interesting ideas as well to advance the franchise https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tGhpDOx0CMk&feature=youtu.be

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Those ideas mostly throw balance out of the window, especially that last one. Imagine passing down Huge Power onto a Slakoth->Slaking

Yeah no
You can pretty much do that already, just go to the Move Reminder

Feb 22, 2019
I would argue some of these, if not all of these NPC move menus are kinda redundant now. It would be better to move this into the main menu and simplify it.
Agree. If that is too big of a change, making the move reminder available earlier than after the Victory Road would be a start. I'm looking at you, Gen 7. I had to transfer Piloswine from UM to my completed Sun to evolve it when it reached the level I chose to evolve it at.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Getting a good Pokémon should be complicated but not VERY complicated. If instead of values from 0 to 31 the IV had values of for example 0 to 5, you would still have variability and genetics but in reasonable numbers.

In an ideal world it would be an illusion of effort, not the immense effort that exists today. It can not be just "push a button" like in Showdown but neither what we have now.
It's really not as hard as you're making it out to be. I think the best solution would be to just have the Daycare to provide you with a 31/31/31/31/31/31 Ditto. Having one of those makes getting a competitive Pokemon take less than an hour.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's really not as hard as you're making it out to be. I think the best solution would be to just have the Daycare to provide you with a 31/31/31/31/31/31 Ditto. Having one of those makes getting a competitive Pokemon take less than an hour.
USUM did similar to this.

It had a side quest where you encountered lots of characters that were in fact Ditto that you had to capture. They were all good for competitive breeding. You had one with 0 Attack IV, one with 0 Speed, the rest with key 31 IVs. You didn't get a 6 IV one, but this was a great start.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Urgh, people are pushing the narrative that SWSH is not going to be used in VGC because of the cull. This is because they announced the VGC2019/20 circuit the other day and list
On the video game side, the 2020 season will begin with Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon on systems in the Nintendo 3DS family. Stay tuned for more information on format updates.

The first Regionals start in September.

The game is out in November

People seem to be skipping that line of thought

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Urgh, people are pushing the narrative that SWSH is not going to be used in VGC because of the cull. This is because they announced the VGC2019/20 circuit the other day and list

The first Regionals start in September.

The game is out in November

People seem to be skipping that line of thought
Hatred towards Game Freak makes them see time in a non-linear way

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I mean...it's a competitive Pokemon. I do think there should be some level of effort required to get one.

Other competitive games require hours and hours of grinding to get the required loot and stuff.
You're right, but grinding is more entertaining normally than breed eggs. I do not know if they could turn it into a minigame or something

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I mean...it's a competitive Pokemon. I do think there should be some level of effort required to get one.

Other competitive games require hours and hours of grinding to get the required loot and stuff.
Even if you have to work to make a Pokemon competitive, you should be able to change it as easily as possible once you do. The amount of time it takes to iterate on a team is too much, and if you decide that you say, want to throw Hidden Power on something then you have to start from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.