• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best gym leader

• #TeamBea - Sword Exclusive

• #TeamAllister - Shield Exclusive

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Jwittz's take on this.

This video and the one he made recently about things from other RPGs he'd want added to Pokemon really resonate with me. There are a ton of places where I feel like Pokemon has fallen behind compared to other Nintendo games or video games in general. There aren't many meaningful side-quests, not a whole lot of side content or post game content as of late, and the characters are laughably flat when compared to other RPGs.
I also think it's silly that we don't get a character creator when we start the game, not everyone has one of four predetermined skin tones, hair color and eye color combos.

Those reasons are why this National Dex thing really bothers me personally. So far, the game looks like standard Pokemon fare with Dynamaxing in place of previous mechanics which have been removed, and one admittedly big area with a rotating camera that's basically the selling point. To me, it doesn't look like a 3DS game graphically, but it feels like one in terms of ambition.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This video and the one he made recently about things from other RPGs he'd want added to Pokemon really resonate with me. There are a ton of places where I feel like Pokemon has fallen behind compared to other Nintendo games or video games in general. There aren't many meaningful side-quests, not a whole lot of side content or post game content as of late, and the characters are laughably flat when compared to other RPGs.
I also think it's silly that we don't get a character creator when we start the game, not everyone has one of four predetermined skin tones, hair color and eye color combos.
I swear, there better be a fucking bike race minigame in the wild area

I know I'm getting my hopes up, but still

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Because you completely misunderstood and focused on the wrong thing. Unsurprisingly. People were attacking the reasoning I brought up, not because I used an idiom.

Also, I don't see you throwing fits over the word "lie" be misused, as it's impossible to lie about a situation that's at best a guess, given we don't have access to a time machine or the ability to see alternate timeline. So yes, you were unnecessarily pedantic.
You didn't really phrase that as a guess, but whatever you say.

This is hardly a fit and I don't really care all that much either way, so there's really no point in arguing about it.

I swear, there better be a fucking bike race minigame in the wild area

I know I'm getting my hopes up, but still
There will likely be minigames, but I would expect them to be focused on the actual Pokemon.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I dont get the balancing excuse, aren't the stats and movesets what determine whether a pokemon is useful or not in battle? If they wanted weaker pokemon to be more useful, they could've fixed their stats and movesets. Not to mention that they dont have to do this for all 800+, but only the final evolutions.

I keep my theory that this decision of cutting Pokémon now wasn't because they couldn't do it for the Switch, or that they couldn't re-balance whatever problems there are in the battle system, or because they were going to give us something out of this world in replacement. What I mean is had they decided since the beginning that they wanted to include all the Pokémon, they would've done whatever was needed to do so, including planning a later release date (before anime, TCG, merchandise, etc got the memo that the new generation was coming in November 2019) and they would've hired whoever they needed and how many they needed to hire, and cut any other feature that would've taken time or resources from the main goal: to include all the Pokémon.

But for some reason, they (whoever are they, whether is GF, TPC, or a series of entities we don't even know about) decided that they were reaching an unsustainable number of Pokémon, and that this number keeps increasing with every generation, and that it was time to stop. If they asked me, I would've said that they should wait at least one more generation (actually I would've been against cutting Pokémon even if they were 15000) but I understand that the Switch era has just started, we don't know how many games Gen VIII is gonna have, but it's most likely that the Gen IX will come for the Switch too (just like how the DS got two gens, and so the 3DS).

So if they included all the Pokémon in these games, SwSh, they would've been forced to include them not only in all the Gen VIII games that are yet to be released (which wouldn't have been a problem) but also, they would've been forced to include them in the Gen IX games (which are gonna increase that number even more). Tbh, I still don't see the problem lol because it's not like the Switch is limiting them like the 3DS did, and it's most likely that we'll get even more powerful versions of the Switch in the future. I'm not saying it would've been easy, but it was possible to include all the existing Pokémon + a few new ones in these upcoming games. I see it like they tried to break the chains now before it was too late and actually got in the trouble of having to deal with 1000+ creatures. So any excuses about balancing the game or that they're giving us better features in animations or story as a compensation, I just ignore that because, at least to me, it's obvious that's not the real reason.

At least that's what I keep telling myself or otherwise I'll drive myself crazy over-analyzing every trailer and every little thing we see there to ask myself if it was worth the cut, because, at least to me, nothing was worth the cut, but I understand it's a decision they made thinking about the future.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Saw a cover of the artbook...can't post pictures but it looked cute. You can see Rotom's little Drone form in detail.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
I keep my theory that this decision of cutting Pokémon now wasn't because they couldn't do it for the Switch, or that they couldn't re-balance whatever problems there are in the battle system, or because they were going to give us something out of this world in replacement. What I mean is had they decided since the beginning that they wanted to include all the Pokémon, they would've done whatever was needed to do so, including planning a later release date (before anime, TCG, merchandise, etc got the memo that the new generation was coming in November 2019) and they would've hired whoever they needed and how many they needed to hire, and cut any other feature that would've taken time or resources from the main goal: to include all the Pokémon.

But for some reason, they (whoever are they, whether is GF, TPC, or a series of entities we don't even know about) decided that they were reaching an unsustainable number of Pokémon, and that this number keeps increasing with every generation, and that it was time to stop. If they asked me, I would've said that they should wait at least one more generation (actually I would've been against cutting Pokémon even if they were 15000) but I understand that the Switch era has just started, we don't know how many games Gen VIII is gonna have, but it's most likely that the Gen IX will come for the Switch too (just like how the DS got two gens, and so the 3DS).

So if they included all the Pokémon in these games, SwSh, they would've been forced to include them not only in all the Gen VIII games that are yet to be released (which wouldn't have been a problem) but also, they would've been forced to include them in the Gen IX games (which are gonna increase that number even more). Tbh, I still don't see the problem lol because it's not like the Switch is limiting them like the 3DS did, and it's most likely that we'll get even more powerful versions of the Switch in the future. I'm not saying it would've been easy, but it was possible to include all the existing Pokémon + a few new ones in these upcoming games. I see it like they tried to break the chains now before it was too late and actually got in the trouble of having to deal with 1000+ creatures. So any excuses about balancing the game or that they're giving us better features in animations or story as a compensation, I just ignore that because, at least to me, it's obvious that's not the real reason.

At least that's what I keep telling myself or otherwise I'll drive myself crazy over-analyzing every trailer and every little thing we see there to ask myself if it was worth the cut, because, at least to me, nothing was worth the cut, but I understand it's a decision they made thinking about the future.
I agree, I think that if it wasn't a gameplay decision they'd have probably rushed to announce plans for patches later down the line by now

Oct 25, 2017
its fine everyone... we will have a better Monster RPG on the switch soon. SMT V will deliver us from evil. also the Digimon survive and cybersleuth games

ArcaneStar_

Sep 14, 2018
its fine everyone... we will have a better Monster RPG on the switch soon. SMT V will deliver us from evil. also the Digimon survive and cybersleuth games

If people hate reused animation, models, cutted monsters and subpar graphics that much than a port of fucking Digimon Story Cybersleuth isn't the answer lmao

it has good music though and it isn't a bad game at all but come on now

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it there sure isn't a lot of actually good alternatives in the monster collecting genre and it makes me really sad. Hopefully the next Digimon Story is good and that new Dragon Quest Monsters releases soon and is good too, love me some mon games

Last edited:

Gengahrrr

Oct 25, 2017
The demo for Sun and Moon was released nearly a month before the full game, so if history repeats itself, we'll possibly know the entire dex at least a month before release.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure the entire dex for Sun and Moon leaked from a data mine of the demo.

So if for some reason we get a demo for SwoShi, we might know the entire dex a month out from release.

Edit: Sandfox already pointed this out
I'm not expecting a demo for this very reason. With Let's Go they waited until a few months after release to put a demo on the eshop.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, we're probably not getting a demo until after launch. I hope it's not like 6 months down the line like Let's Go.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
I'd love a demo that let you do raids against a couple of Pokemon with friends and then transfer the Pokemon over to the full game

The raids are the feature I'm most curious about and would love to try them out before release

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think GF will be able to balance PvP even though a lot of Pokémon are gone since there will still probably be more than 200 fully evolved Pokémon. Good luck trying to make all of them useful. There will always be Pokémon that are better than the rest. If Landorus is gone, some other Pokémon might rise to the top and take its place.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think GF will be able to balance PvP even though a lot of Pokémon are gone since there will still probably be more than 200 fully evolved Pokémon. Good luck trying to make all of them useful. There will always be Pokémon that are better than the rest. If Landorus is gone, some other Pokémon might rise to the top and take its place.
the "they took out pokemon because balance" thing makes me laugh... they cant balance their way out of a paper sack, even with a cut roster.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I hope we do get a demo before release. And we get datamined content that reveals all Pokemon made it into these games and that this was just a poorly thought out publicity stunt to get these games talked about all over.

aZNbEao.gif

I know it's not true, just let me have this.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Given the number of Pokemon there are the game isn't in that bad of a place with balancing. Even Landorus isn't broken, it just has a high usage.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I'm not gonna get mad if Scor's another Fire/Fighting, to be honest I'm indifferent to the idea of another Fire/Fighting lol, but it would be awesome to see a less used typing for a final starter evo. That's why I would love Scorbunny's final evolution to be Fire/Electric.

The last 2 gens didn't even have fire/fighting starters (/psychic then /dark). you would think it had always been the case or something going by all the memes.

Smash community: offered the highest quality game Nintendo can offer

Pokemon community: Gamefreak

Smash has serious gameplay issues, especially in regards to online and the last piece of news was about the Ally controversy, and before that the whole Salem thing. You also had quite a few noteworthy players come out and say they prefer 4 so I dont think the image macro is apt at all.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope we do get a demo before release. And we get datamined content that reveals all Pokemon made it into these games and that this was just a poorly thought out publicity stunt to get these games talked about all over.

aZNbEao.gif

I know it's not true, just let me have this.
there's a rumor that the game has entries for all the pokemon, but if it's like Let's Go, there's nothing in there but dummy data

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
The last 2 gens didn't even have fire/fighting starters (/psychic then /dark). you would think it had always been the case or something going by all the memes.
Gen 3 to Gen 5 had Fire/Fighting but I quite liked using them! But I do want to see a typing that a fire starter hasn't used before for Scorbunny. That's why I'm really favoring Electric despite not having any hope that it will happen. I just like the idea lol.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
That wont stop people from staying in there to remind anyone buying it that they are trash. I'd rather avoid that honestly.

Nah, I honestly believe the OT will be ok. I'm sure it will be quite heavily moderated if it gets out of hand as OT's are usually 'safe spaces' for people to discuss and get advice on a game.

The review thread will probably be a mess though, I'd certainly avoid that.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I honestly believe the OT will be ok. I'm sure it will be quite heavily moderated if it gets out of hand as OT's are usually 'safe spaces' for people to discuss and get advice on a game.

The review thread will probably be a mess though, I'd certainly avoid that.

Well hopefully. I just want a place I can trade and battle honestly. Yeah review thread will prob be a graveyard.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
Gen 3 to Gen 5 had Fire/Fighting but I quite liked using them! But I do want to see a typing that a fire starter hasn't used before for Scorbunny. That's why I'm really favoring Electric despite not having any hope that it will happen. I just like the idea lol.
If Scorbunny's final evo is just Fire it would only be the second pure Fire type final form of a starter, so I've no problem if they go with that this time

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I wonder what direction this game would have gone if Shigeki Morimoto were Game Director again. I really wish we knew what went on at Gamefreak and their decisions.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yet you're still posting in a thread about said Pokemon game. It really makes no sense...

They cant help themselves, and they will still buy it, its the same on twitter, people saying that they are gonna leave the Pokemon franchise but they still post the hastag and dont cancel preorders.
Its even more funny when people say that they are not gonna give money to GF, and instead are gonna play Pokemon Masters.

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
They cant help themselves, and they will still buy it, its the same on twitter, people saying that they are gonna leave the Pokemon franchise but they still post the hastag and dont cancel preorders.
Its even more funny when people say that they are not gonna give money to GF, and instead are gonna play Pokemon Masters.
People championing Masters just to masturbate on hating Gamefreak is too funny, especially how anti-lootbox/microtransaction this place is.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Cyber Sleuth is alright. I enjoyed the game for what it was, but It definitely isn't as good as Pokemon, especially when it comes to monster raising. I haven't played SMT, but that seems like a weird comparison to me.

People championing Masters just to masturbate on hating Gamefreak is too funny, especially how anti-lootbox/microtransaction this place is.
I'm curious to see what happens there because the game is very likely going to have super bad rates given the developers.

Status
Not open for further replies.