• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best gym leader

• #TeamBea - Sword Exclusive

• #TeamAllister - Shield Exclusive

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason to believe mega would be coming back?

Didn't some Pokémon get more than that in each stat? Not that it would do much for her either way lol

Like super big stat bumps would be fun but I wonder if Pokémon lose a part of what makes them unique if you do that, in a way? Like you shouldn't increase beedrill's stats to make it more comprable to his mega form
no.

ArcaneStar_

Sep 14, 2018
I still believe that megas will return through gigantamaxing and I will only believe that mega mawile is 100% dead when I see it for myself dammit!

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
That's not entirely true, This is one of the higher upvotes comments In that very thread.

It really feels like this whole situation was a pressure chamber just waiting to pop. I remember looking for decently large vids/forums/groups that were a bit more critical of the games, and there almost were none (at least compared to the levels that other series get.) Even last year with the announcement of LGPE reddit was overall positive, I almost never saw a critical post reach the front page the entire time I'd been there. But now that GF has opened themselves up to critique it's like 20 years of it has started all flowing out at once. I said it before but it's pretty nuts that about half the top post from all time on r/pokemon has come from this controversy, and that it may not be as small of a group upset as some people seem to think.

For sure. The Pokémon fanbase has been seeing a constantly growing disatisfaction for a time now. This was what finally made it pop. 52k upvotes is no joke at all. I feel people who say this is a small controversy aren't paying attention to things. It may not be reported on mainstream news sites like BF2, FO76 or Anthem but this is surely one of the largest gaming controversies in quite a while. The biggest Nintendo-related one at least.

Which makes Game Freak's response even more baffling, tbh. They've changed their minds for way, way less before.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Game Freak considers Mega Evolutions to be separate Pokémon. When they talk about how many they are, Megas are part of the number. Combining that with their comments about how Pokémon not in SwSh will return in later games...

Unless they decided to randomly redefine what counts as a Pokémon on the spot, there's no particular reason to think they aren't coming back.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
It really feels like this whole situation was a pressure chamber just waiting to pop. I remember looking for decently large vids/forums/groups that were a bit more critical of the games, and there almost were none (at least compared to the levels that other series get.) Even last year with the announcement of LGPE reddit was overall positive, I almost never saw a critical post reach the front page the entire time I'd been there. But now that GF has opened themselves up to critique it's like 20 years of it has started all flowing out at once. I said it before but it's pretty nuts that about half the top post from all time on r/pokemon has come from this controversy, and that it may not be as small of a group upset as some people seem to think.

I dunno. Reddit has had dubious opinions in general for a while.
Try posting anything about the anime and you'll get half the comments about "why does ash look (expletive)" or "why is the animation so bad"

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
It'd be actually funny if, of all pokémon GF decided to cut, the Honedge line was among them.

At least I still have clefairy.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
That's not entirely true, This is one of the higher upvotes comments In that very thread.

I actually distinctly remember about a year ago trying to find somewhere to talk about flaws of the Pokemon games, because I have issues with even my favorites, but I could absolutely not find anywhere at all to do so. I can attest to the fact that a lot of stuff has just bubbled up over the years I've followed this franchise and Game Freak's reasoning for this change in philosophy has just caused me to look even more at their games, both future and past, with an even more critical eye.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
For sure. The Pokémon fanbase has been seeing a constantly growing disatisfaction for a time now. This was what finally made it pop. 52k upvotes is no joke at all. I feel people who say this is a small controversy aren't paying attention to things. It may not be reported on mainstream news sites like BF2, FO76 or Anthem but this is surely one of the largest gaming controversies in quite a while. The biggest Nintendo-related one at least.

Which makes Game Freak's response even more baffling, tbh. They've changed their minds for way, way less before.
It hit the front page, it's popular to hate pokemon right now, and the subreddit itself has become a toxic mess that is fine with spreading blatant misinformation. The perfect mix to get upvotes.

It's a big controversy to the hardcore fans, but they are vastly outnumbered by a much larger casual audience that doesn't care about transferring old pokemon.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
It hit the front page, it's popular to hate pokemon right now, and the subreddit itself has become a toxic mess that is fine with spreading blatant misinformation. The perfect mix to get upvotes.

It's a big controversy to the hardcore fans, but they are vastly outnumbered by a much larger casual audience that doesn't care about transferring old pokemon.

Sure. It's still a massive hit to the brand's image though. As you said, it's cool to hate Pokémon now. You don't really want that for your brand unless you're planning a manufactured outrage campaign. (Which I'm pretty sure Game Freak isn't, considering their marketing is usually very traditional)

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I do wonder if Pokken 2 is in the works, would they be bringing back Megas in that or not?

And if there were new pokemon, would they get Dynamax as part of their moveset (Probably as the finisher).

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who said that there are few people that are upset, a lot of people are upset, the problem is that they still gonna buy the games, hell even here we have two poster that get very pissed at every news, and they are gonna still buy the game, by their own admission.
So... it doesnt matter if they are angry if they are still gonna buy the damn game.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Who said that there are few people that are upset, a lot of people are upset, the problem is that they still gonna buy the games, hell even here we have two poster that get very pissed at every news, and they are gonna still buy the game by their own admission.
So... it doesnt matter if they are angry if they are still gonna buy the damn game.

Brand image does matter a lot for companies, though. Even if it doesn't directly affects sales, it's a bad long term strategy to disgruntle your loyal fanbase.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brand image does matter a lot for companies, though. Even if it doesn't directly affects sales, it's a bad long term strategy to disgruntle your loyal fanbase.

And GF will worry about that later, the only metric they care right now is the sales of Sword and Shield, and judging by comments from people who have acces to preorder numbers, this whole outrage is affecting nothing.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
My experience on Reddit is that you can shit on DP, XY, ORAS, SM and USUM. Maybe LGPE. The others are holy, especially HGSS.

That's not too different from over here then lol

Sun & Moon/USUM got some loyal fans but you can shit all over XY here.

And GF will worry about that later, the only metric they care right now is the sales of Sword and Shield, and judging by comments from people who have acces to preorder numbers, this whole outrage is affecting nothing.

Worrying about long-term effects only when they actually happen is one of the dumbest things a business can do. I'm pretty sure this outrage has affected Game Freak a lot. We shall see how the conversation goes for future games. Nintendo completely changed it's messaging about anything related to Metroid because of a much smaller controversy.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Sure. It's still a massive hit to the brand's image though. As you said, it's cool to hate Pokémon now. You don't really want that for your brand unless you're planning a manufactured outrage campaign. (Which I'm pretty sure Game Freak isn't, considering their marketing is usually very traditional)
It's cool to hate COD also. And Reddit itself breeds mob mentality too. Also when I said cool to hate Pokémon I meant on the subreddit, Overall it's been cool to hate Pokémon for years. Gamefreak itself isn't going to care unless sales go down, which from what we know isn't happening, like post E3 GameStop. Hell even now it's doing very well on GameStop. There's also the matter of Let's Go doing extremely well despite looking bad with prerelease sales data.

Metroid because of a much smaller controversy.
Both Other M and Federation force flopped in sales.

ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
It's true that this dissatisfaction has been building up for a while. I think a lot of fans (myself included) have had problems with Gen 6 and 7 but still liked and played the games because overall, the core concepts remained intact. Now they cut the traditional catching method in Lets Go, but they announced Gen 8 with it and specifically said Gen 8 was going to be for the long term and dedicated fan (in contrast to Lets Go). I didn't buy Lets Go and waited another year for Gen 8. Then Sw/Sh were announced and I was genuinely hyped. The E3 news however, killed the game for me and I will not be buying this or any future games from now on (since they say this will be the direction for all games in the future). I will admit I've been very surprised (pleasantly) that /r/Pokémon has had such a strong backlash to the news. That subreddit used to be mostly art (and more recently, memes when they allowed them) till this news dropped, but the folks on there are clearly fans like me who're devastated by the news of cut Pokémon. Will it affect sales enough to send a message to the corner cutters at Gamefreak? I hope so, but I'm not expecting it. Best case scenario, those of us who disapprove of this direction for Pokémon can be loud enough to poison the well for this game and give it bad word of mouth so it puts some people off buying the game, especially affecting the legs in sales that are so crucial to Pokémon sales

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
It's cool to hate COD also. And Reddit itself breeds mob mentality too. Also when I said cool to hate Pokémon I meant on the subreddit, Overall it's been cool to hate Pokémon for years. Gamefreak itself isn't going to care unless sales go down, which from what we know isn't happening, like post E3 GameStop. Hell even now it's doing very well on GameStop. There's also the matter of Let's Go doing extremely well despite looking bad with prerelease sales data.

It's cool to hate Pokémon pretty much everywhere right now. Twitter, /vp/, reddit, even here. I'm not a fool to say that Sword and Shield will sell badly, I'm just saying this has had a really bad effect on Pokémon's brand image amongst a lot of people. There's a viral video with almost 1m views just titled "Game Freak is lazy". This whole thing was a disaster.

I'm sure this decision was a last-minute one. (As Joe said in another thread/page, there is some evidence supporting this) but their messaging was horrible.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Worrying about long-term effects only when they actually happen is one of the dumbest things a business can do. I'm pretty sure this outrage has affected Game Freak a lot. We shall see how the conversation goes for future games. Nintendo completely changed it's messaging about anything related to Metroid because of a much smaller controversy.

I didnt say that they are gonna worry when it happens, they are gonna worry after Sword and Shield, they have a game to sell in just four months
And of course that the outrage its affecting them right now, but its not gonna matter if the sales remain the same or better, thats the final judgement.
Nintendo didnt change the messaging just because the outrage, they changed the messaging because the games dont sell.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
It's cool to hate Pokémon pretty much everywhere right now. Twitter, /vp/, reddit, even here. I'm not a fool to say that Sword and Shield will sell badly, I'm just saying this has had a really bad effect on Pokémon's brand image amongst a lot of people. There's a viral video with almost 1m views just titled "Game Freak is lazy". This whole thing was a disaster.
VP has hated Pokémon for years, after all it's 4chan.

And yeah it's a shame toxic shitheads get views. But that doesn't mean the brand image is damaged to the audience that matters to game freak, casuals and children.

I'm sure game freak knows how many people use bank, so they probably know how this will affect them overall. If these games do do well, then I can see future games retaining the cut dex and thus the older hardcore fans will be locked into being upset. Like a 2D vs 3D metroid, or Castlevania vs Metroidvania.

Last edited:

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Hating on anthropomorphic designs makes even less sense to me than repeat typing. At that point its 100% just character design preference and quickly goes into "but Pokemon should be more like real animals" nonsense.
How is that nonsense? It's a pretty common preference.
I went into Y mostly blind and was so disappointed when I evolved my Fennekin, ended up boxing it before the end of the game even.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
How is that nonsense? It's a pretty common preference.
I went into Y mostly blind and was so disappointed when I evolved my Fennekin, ended up boxing it before the end of the game even.

The whole stating "pokemon should be animals" opinion as fact part is nonsense. Preference is one thing but there's nothing justifying that.
"common preference" is also questionable (just reads like argumentum ad populum ?).

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Why does charizard shoot the flamethrower from his forehead?
Because he's a hothead

Serious answer is because they use a similar animation to prior and with the special attack animation, Charizard's head moves from optimal spot. They should fix this, I agree. It's things like this that hurt their case.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
I wonder if there's still a chance these games will have voice acting, feels weird to see characters so expressive when talking and having to read the text.

Jun 2, 2019
Those too, but not to the same extent as HGSS in my opinion.

Well to be fair, HGSS is almost the perfect pokémon game (if anything, feature bloated) so you can blame them. It's only faults are the ones that Crystal already had.

Now the strange ones are BW (Haven't played B2W2) They are ultralinear, story ends up being kinda whack (Neat character development) and you have a very limited poll of Pokémon until post game. Also training is as slow as ever.

Feb 22, 2019
Well to be fair, HGSS is almost the perfect pokémon game (if anything, feature bloated) so you can blame them. It's only faults are the ones that Crystal already had.

Now the strange ones are BW (Haven't played B2W2) They are ultralinear, story ends up being kinda whack (Neat character development) and you have a very limited poll of Pokémon until post game. Also training is as slow as ever.
To me, HGSS is far from perfect. The level curve is atrocious. Many of the gen 2 Pokémon are locked to the post game for some reason and in my opinion most gen 2 Pokémon are bland and too many are single stage. The Kanto post game that everyone seems to like is just boring to me since it is featureless with underlevelled gyms and the wild Pokémon are a joke. Some of them have higher lvls in the actual Kanto games. The story is very simple.
I like the artstyle and Pokémon following you is quite cool. It's not that I don't like them, but I don't understand while they are sacred and untouchable.

I actually like that they are linear since I'm not a fan of backtracking, yea I'm weird. At least it has a story and I think it's okay. I really like the fact that you were forced to use new Pokémon in BW and not seeing the same ones that are in every game, but I do understand why people didn't like that. I also don't really like that many of them are obviously meant to be a counterpart to gen 1.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I actually like that they are linear since I'm not a fan of backtracking, yea I'm weird. At least it has a story and I think it's okay. I really like the fact that you were forced to use new Pokémon in BW and not seeing the same ones that are in every game, but I do understand why people didn't like that. I also don't really like that many of them are obviously meant to be a counterpart to gen 1.

Yes, that's exactly why it took me so long to accept Gen V in general. They were kinda trying to do this "reset" of the franchise, by attempting to repeat the same formulas. Not only the videogames that had all these counterparts as you say, but even the anime giving Ash a lamer version of Misty and Brock as the gym leaders that accompany him (well, Iris wasn't technically a leader in the series, but still). They even released an atrocious attempt of PokéRap (that mentioned only like 50 Pokémon out of the 150+ they introduced). We didn't see older Pokémon in the anime besides Meowth and Pikachu for several seasons as well. The only good thing was the re-introduction of Who's That Pokémon? segment, and I did like a little how the Team Rocket became "serious" for a while.

Still, I recognize that being forced to use only the new Pokémon till you beat the game was a nice experiment, and knowing that at the end I was gonna be able to bring all the older Pokémon in, made everything fine. I also liked the advancements we saw in the UI, especially the box system. Many of my friends skipped Gen V, and when they came back to Pokémon with Gen VI, they kept being surprised by features or stuff that they attributed to Gen VI and I kept telling them like, "no, this or that exists since Gen V".

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018
Yes, that's exactly why it took me so long to accept Gen V in general. They were kinda trying to do this "reset" of the franchise, by attempting to repeat the same formulas. Not only the videogames that had all these counterparts as you say, but even the anime giving Ash a lamer version of Misty and Brock as the gym leaders that accompany him (well, Iris wasn't technically a leader in the series, but still). They even released an atrocious attempt of PokéRap (that mentioned only like 50 Pokémon out of the 150+ they introduced). We didn't see older Pokémon in the anime besides Meowth and Pikachu for several seasons as well. The only good thing was the re-introduction of Who's That Pokémon? segment, and I did like a little how the Team Rocket became "serious" for a while.

I don't think the whole counterparts thing was done as a "reset" but done because of the fact that you couldn't use any of the old Pokémon until the post game. So it was mostly to communicate to veteran players what they can expect from certain Pokémon. Also, I'm pretty sure a few of the "counterparts" weren't even made with Gen 1 in mind, Throh, for example, was originally supposed to be in Sinnoh, but was put in Unova with Sawk created as a counterpart to it. Musharna's creator, Atsuko Nishida (also creator of Pikachu), was allowed to create anything and came up with Musharna as a tapir with dreams coming out of it's head, so even though it's similar to Drowzee as a tapir related to dreams, I'm guessing it was just a coincidence. Honestly though, I never got any of the "redundancy" complaints, like, as much as people like to point at the Timburr line being similar to the Machop line, they're still different enough in my eyes, one are construction workers, the other are body builders/wrestlers. I personally don't get the idea that just because it was done before means it can't be done again a little differently, like I don't see anything wrong with Yamper, Impidimp, or Alcremie just because we already have an Electric dog (Electrike), a goblin-like creature (Sableye) and a cake (Slurpuff). Although I will admit that I generally like it when Pokémon look good together, so when some Pokémon share a theme or some similarities, I really appreciate it.

Also, up to Gen 5, every generation got a "Pokérap" except Gen 4. Both Johto and Hoenn have one:

And Unova got two, you already mention one, here is the other with all the Pokémon, but it's Japanese only:

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

HGSS definitely has it's own problems like having the worst Safari Zone in the series(which is probably why it got cut). Those games just have a lot of nostalgia.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I've never managed to go far in BW because the early-mid Pokémon pool is horrendous. Really limited and filled with lame monsters. My favourite game is stil Ruby or Platinum. (Or X 👀)

HGSS is also dope but super unbalanced

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always thought Gold/Silver was whack, even the original on release.

To me, HGSS is far from perfect. The level curve is atrocious. Many of the gen 2 Pokémon are locked to the post game for some reason and in my opinion most gen 2 Pokémon are bland and too many are single stage. The Kanto post game that everyone seems to like is just boring to me since it is featureless with underlevelled gyms and the wild Pokémon are a joke. Some of them have higher lvls in the actual Kanto games. The story is very simple.
I like the artstyle and Pokémon following you is quite cool. It's not that I don't like them, but I don't understand while they are sacred and untouchable.

Exactly.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
At least I can say I honest to god didn't notice DP's slowness when it released lol

I was just happy to get the running shoes so early.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Well hopefully. I just want a place I can trade and battle honestly. Yeah review thread will prob be a graveyard.

I can see review vids getting a good number of dislikes if the reviews are good or bad. But I expect ShSw to review similarly to the previous 2 gens unless critics factor dexit into their scores

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I can see review vids getting a good number of dislikes if the reviews are good or bad. But I expect ShSw to review similarly to the previous 2 gens unless critics factor dexit into their scores

I can almost see the official reviews praising SwSh in some way for reducing the roster, I don't know why I have that feeling, maybe because of how little importance it has been given to the news (at least what I've read so far) by most media outlets. Or maybe they don't even take it into account.

Status
Not open for further replies.