• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best gym leader

• #TeamBea - Sword Exclusive

• #TeamAllister - Shield Exclusive

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I can almost see the official reviews praising SwSh in some way for reducing the roster, I don't know why I have that feeling, maybe because of how little importance it has been given to the news (at least what I've read so far) by most media outlets. Or maybe they don't even take it into account.
They wont take it into account because it won't change their experience of the game.

Plus it is more a Home problem than a Sw/Sh problem imo.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I can almost see the official reviews praising SwSh in some way for reducing the roster, I don't know why I have that feeling, maybe because of how little importance it has been given to the news (at least what I've read so far) by most media outlets. Or maybe they don't even take it into account.
Even if you could transfer every single Pokemon into Sw/Sh you wouldn't be able to do it until sometime in 2020 so I doubt that would have much of an effect on the game reviewers are playing.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
That it's how Wingull flies and that it has been used in all mass media for how it flies without changing altitude
Have we seen Wingull fly yet in Sword and Shield? I can only recall seeing them hover about and pivot on the spot as if they were following the same routine as a grounded Pokemon.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Have we seen Wingull fly yet in Sword and Shield? I can only recall seeing them hover about and pivot on the spot as if they were following the same routine as a grounded Pokemon.
They move around using the walk/run animation that has existed for a while, yeah.

Really, they needed to put Wingull higher, then this whole mess wouldn't be a thing with Wingull

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Even if you could transfer every single Pokemon into Sw/Sh you wouldn't be able to do it until sometime in 2020 so I doubt that would have much of an effect on the game reviewers are playing.
Yep.

The game as of November 2019 is the same as it would be if they inexplicably got all Pokémon in without any additional sacrifices to the game. HOME isn't for months

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait

The media will be "it's the best pokemon games to date" like the usual.

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon games always receive universal praise in reviews. I honestly don't know what reviewers even look at when they play them because some of the complaints I have, or that I feel like the community has, are largely glossed over

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
At least I can say I honest to god didn't notice DP's slowness when it released lol

I was just happy to get the running shoes so early.

I just remember how marvelous Pearl looked to me (and Platinum even more) I just felt like they were so modern in comparison to GBA, and I think it was only for the touch screen lol The Pokédex was so fun to use. And making the Poffins as well

But everything in general, I remember the battles looked so great to my eyes, because they had more color in the background

Pokemondp_15.jpg

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019

It entirely depends on the reviewer's personal experience with Pokemon. I for example won't be hurt by the cut for SwSh since I didn't save any Pokemon from the 2 games I did play which were Sapphire and Diamond. So I imagine it likely won't factor in their reviews as critics seem to base a game on its own merits. Plus Pokemon Home won't be ready at launch so that makes it even less of a factor.

Still, the wonder how bad the outrage will be if the games review better than previous entries.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Yeah, it's true all that you said. In fact I think it's gonna be even more praised because of its wider selection of Pokémon available at launch, which will, tentatively include lots of the most popular creatures. So they're just gonna see all the positives.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I guess people complained about every pokemon game then.

I'm old enough to remember when people on various Pokemon message boards called the gen 2 Pokemon "trash" in Gold/Silver previews and people being disappointed that Pokemon Yellow was an enhanced version of Red/Blue instead of a brand new game.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I'm old enough to remember when people on various Pokemon message boards called the gen 2 Pokemon "trash" in Gold/Silver previews and people being disappointed that Pokemon Yellow was an enhanced version of Red/Blue instead of a brand new game.

I'm always intrigued with like the usenet days, but I remember it's still the same old shit today. But I guess that in itself is fascinating

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

They all "looked like digimon"

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait

Crazy, didn't they see the crazy difference in colors alone, day and night system and all that.

I acutally started reading the online forums when that first picture of Diamond & Pearl showed up, i think it had munchlax in it, damn i was pretty hyped, the colors were amazing.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Gen 3 was the worst time to be a Pokemon fan with complaints. Even some wacko tried to convince me that Day and Night cycles were still in R/S/E but the GBA backlight made it difficult to see. I mean for fuck's sake lol

Oct 26, 2017
They move around using the walk/run animation that has existed for a while, yeah.

Really, they needed to put Wingull higher, then this whole mess wouldn't be a thing with Wingull

That's not how it works at all. Yes Wingull basically glides in a t-pose but what's lacking is how unrealistic it looks (insofar as the Pokemon World is concerned). Making it go higher just further emphasizes the lack of realism and physics. Especially when the same mass media examples you bring up, shows Wingull moving from flapping its wings to gliding in a t-pose.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I was trawling earlier footage and noticed this:

zBZNtcf.png

The Pokemon over on the right in the grass is obviously hard to identify, but it looks like it could maybe be Stunky - the colour is similar and it looks like its tail (put an image of its model there just to make comparing easier)

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
That's not how it works at all. Yes Wingull basically glides in a t-pose but what's lacking is how unrealistic it looks (insofar as the Pokemon World is concerned). Making it go higher just further emphasizes the lack of realism and physics. Especially when the same mass media examples you bring up, shows Wingull moving from flapping its wings to gliding in a t-pose.
Wingull flaps its wings to change altitude, yeah.

Having it higher makes more sense still as there'd be more air upstreams/currents upon which it can glide, it can even stay in relatively one place with it too, I've seen it with seagulls near where I live

Deleted member 41713

User requested account deletion
Banned
Apr 4, 2018
At least I can say I honest to god didn't notice DP's slowness when it released lol
Me neither. I'm not sure if life is moving at a faster pace these days or if the gaming landscape adjusted to be more fast paced as a result of people's ever-shrinking attention span, but I was happy with my copy of Diamond. Though I do consider S/M very slow today so maybe if I played D/P for the first time now I'd consider them slow as well. Case and point, I'm glad I got to experince Gen4 back in 2007.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
I was trawling earlier footage and noticed this:

zBZNtcf.png

The Pokemon over on the right in the grass is obviously hard to identify, but it looks like it could maybe be Stunky - the colour is similar and it looks like its tail (put an image of its model there just to make comparing easier)
good spot, looks like Stunky to me!

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Seen the latest complaint, this time about Giganatamax Corviknight following its description where it hovers on updrafts from Gigantamax energy as it's now "lazy and T-Posing"

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I personally have always had at least one criticism about each and every Pokemon game, even Gen 5, which is my favorite.

Yep... I stopped playing for a few gens thanks to how slow Diamond and Pearl were.

Seen the latest complaint, this time about Giganatamax Corviknight following its description where it hovers on updrafts from Gigantamax energy as it's now "lazy and T-Posing"

People don't seem to really understand what a T pose is

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yep... I stopped playing for a few gens thanks to how slow Diamond and Pearl were.
It's ironic. I almost fell out of love of Pokémon in Gen 3 (I didn't feel some of the Gen 3 Pokémon back then and Pokémon fell into a rut for me due to the delay of Gen 4 and push of spin-off games like Mystery Dungeon which I can't stand), but the Gen 4 launch period and Gen 4 in general brought my love back

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
The biggest sin in Pokemon is the one open blank space in Pokken Tournament DX's full roster with DLC:
DY72-v0X4AcvkqH.jpg

Come on you could have easily added a random selector there or a Battle Pack 3!

Obviously it isn't a real sin but it does bother me cause I'm weird lol

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Remember how in gen 4 there was no option to battle again random opponents online and we had to resort to buying PBR on Wii to have that option? Yeah that was fun.
Still, I played PBR from launch day to the day the Wii servers were shut down.

Jun 2, 2019
Remember how in gen 4 there was no option to battle again random opponents online and we had to resort to buying PBR on Wii to have that option? Yeah that was fun.
Still, I played PBR from launch day to the day the Wii servers were shut down.

Well to be fair, PBR was such a great game for battling. Full price tho, once I put some hours into it it was hard to justify.

Still, I have some fond memories of it. I also played until servers got shot down, it was great for spending a lazy afternoon doing absolutely nothing.

Speaking about it, precisely the lack of a stadium-like game made me less involved with Gen 5, to the point of not buying B2W2. It's something I have always loved from. The series.

Hell I would have even pay for a Gen VI stadium game. Wii U was literally the last chance to do it.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Ah okay, I actually like that it hovers with the updraft, I'm just confused as to why it doesn't react to the attack at all. Maybe it's a bug due to the game still being under development?
I do think there is a level of polish to come. We have seen an improvement in each of the subsequent trailers.

I do hope they map the Max Move to Charizard better. It is mapped to its original position but not its final. There's still time to fix

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The more I think about it the more I'm willing to forgive Game Freak for the attack animations.

One thing thats always changed in the games are the attack graphics. It helps keep it fresh between instalments.

Game Freak would have to either commit to creating great attack animations for hundreds of attacks on each Pokemon, which would take a crap load of time, thus not willing to change them every instalment going forward, or carry on the way they've been going and introduce new animations every game to keep it fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.