• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Evolutions are definitely not the same deal. People don't hate on Charmander or Raichu because of their counterparts. It represents all gens better than any other Pokemon because of how it makes sense to introduce new types.

That and new evo's all the time is more like every second gen, meaning nothing new since 2013 and possibly not even in this game.
I mean at least 3 main characters in the Pokemon anime have caught an eevee before

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't even care that much about battle facilities, I just want post-game regions to explore and trainers to fight with Gym/E4 rematches. Platinum, HGSS, and BW2 all did this perfectly.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I swear half the stuff reused fro Digimon doesn't even make sense from a nostalgia perspective.

Are people nostalgic for Yggdrasil as the villain? Fucking Tri even retconned that shit into the Adventure setting.

Ashflow

Feb 13, 2018
US
I honestly had a hard time making a team with 6 new Pokémon in SM because of how hard to find them it was. And I liked that game, but it's a pretty fair complaint.
My roommate at the time and I pored over the entire demo-leaked dex planning our teams out for SuMo but when I actually got the game it was totally not feasible to get my planned team together. Kommo-o being like 80% through the game is rough but fair as it's the pseudo, but a lot of other ones are silly. Took me forever to get an evolution-capable salandit after my ignorant self wasted time with male one for a while. Dhelmise wasn't one I picked but I always remember looking that up because I'd never seen it and finding out that there is 1 'tile' in the game where you can fish and have a 10% chance to find it. SuMo was a weird experience for me.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Online game is sadly not a challenge, just a grind against perfect hacked teams that force you to play that game too or scram.

well game freak already say they are addressing that, and implemething things that will help every pokemon you get being viable.

how well they nail it, its to be seen

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
isn't it a Gunpla series? Those things run on deriving from older series.
Yes, but the Gunpla anime aren't just UC nostalgia bait as they focus on the whole franchise, like the first Build Fighters had the main character with a Seed Gundam and Try had a focus on G. The current Divers anime has almost nothing to do with early UC and even Gundam-wise it's pretty different from other series featuring a bunch of kemono characters.

If Pokémon gave Alola and Gygantamax forms to an all star roster of popular Pokémon from all generations people wouldn't complain about nostalgia so much. The problem is how strong and focused on a specific gen it is.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I swear half the stuff reused fro Digimon doesn't even make sense from a nostalgia perspective.

Are people nostalgic for Yggdrasil as the villain?

Not as nostalgic as they are for who has the hots for who as teenagers!
Or not exploring the Digital World and instead stay at home and deal with high school drama!

That's what adventure is all about...

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Another thing on Digimon; the last v-pet sold itself on new forms for the Seven Demon Lords, and the next one has Gankoomon X and Examon X as its headliners.

It sure as shit ain't the new form for RizeGreymon that's selling this stuff.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Another thing on Digimon; the last v-pet sold itself on new forms for the Seven Demon Lords, and the next one has Gankoomon X and Examon X as its headliners.

It sure as shit ain't the new form for RizeGreymon that's selling this stuff.

And all that certainly has put Digimon back on the map right?

I mean all the kids are into Digimon amirite?

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Yes, but the Gunpla anime aren't just UC nostalgia bait as they focus on the whole franchise, like the first Build Fighters had the main character with a Seed Gundam and Try had a focus on G. The current Divers anime has almost nothing to do with early UC and even Gundam-wise it's pretty different from other series featuring a bunch of kemono characters.

If Pokémon gave Alola and Gygantamax forms to an all star roster of popular Pokémon from all generations people wouldn't complain about nostalgia so much. The problem is how strong and focused on a specific gen it is.

SEED is like, on a similar tier to UC. And even then there's the fact that Gundam tends to draw heavily from the UC mold for character roles and mech designs.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Evolutions are definitely not the same deal. People don't hate on Charmander or Raichu because of their counterparts. It represents all gens better than any other Pokemon because of how it makes sense to introduce new types.
I definitely think there's leniency in it since it's literally Eevee's gimmick to have multiple evolutions. But as a result Eevee gets boosts all the time both inside of outside of the main games. Let's also not forget Eevee's exclusive Z-move last gen too. And like I said, it's in the anime a lot, and most of that is due to eevee getting something new. Gen 3 was the last time there wasn't something going on with eevee (i'm ignoring May's Eevee because ultimately it was for Glaceon in DP).

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely think there's leniency in it since it's literally Eevee's gimmick to have multiple evolutions. But as a result Eevee gets boosts all the time both inside of outside of the main games. Let's also not forget Eevee's exclusive Z-move last gen too. And like I said, it's in the anime a lot, and most of that is due to eevee getting something new. Gen 3 was the last time there wasn't something going on with eevee.

(my question was whether or not that's enough to be a meme instead of more obvious choices)

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So 3 Characters over 20 years had one to represent the new generational evolutions? I don't see Sylveon as gen1 pandering, more like a logical step in adding layers to what is known as "the evolution Pokemon"
May's eevee never evolved. And I'm not including other notable eevee's or trainers who use eeveelutions like Gary's eevee, Ilima's eevee, Gladion's Umbreon, etc.

Looked it up, was wrong, May's eevee did evolve, but only when she cameo'd in the Diamond and Pearl anime and not during her main run

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
it's selling well with the people they want it to sell with. They've mostly given up on kids, tbh.

And that's a death sentence. Kids and teens are what keep these franchises alive, whether we like it or not.

The argument is here that you don't need to just pander to one or the other. it's possible to give something to all kinds of fans. Pokemon had no problem doing that for 5 generations

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
well game freak already say they are addressing that, and implemething things that will help every pokemon you get being viable.

how well they nail it, its to be seen

I really hope they do. The AI in the battle facilities was sometimes a cheating asshole but at least it was feasible to beat it and farm points with some strategy and halfway decent IV mons that were EV trained without going 100% anal for nature and 31 IV in all stats.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SEED is like, on a similar tier to UC. And even then there's the fact that Gundam tends to draw heavily from the UC mold for character roles and mech designs.
I don't disagree with that, but it's mostly the franchise looking back as its core and picking what's "essential" for a Gundam show, but making something new. Sometimes it work, sometimes it doesn't.

I don't think people get mad when new Pikaclones are announced as they're new Pokémon and not just giving more stuff to Pikachu and they're basically the Charclones of Pokémon.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
May's eevee never evolved. And I'm not including other notable eevee's or trainers who use eeveelutions like Gary's eevee, Ilima's eevee, Gladion's Umbreon, etc.

I think its telling you're only really talking about the anime, but let me know when Ash uses one instead of just being on the sidelines just like Sun and Moon or Being part of the dance team in XY. Gladion didn't even use his Umbreon in their match :/

I think if you're using the anime as a metric then Meowth is the easy pick.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Craniamon- 2005
Alphamon- 2003
Omnimon- 1999
Crusadermon- 2002
Dynasmon- 2002
Examon- 2007
Gallantmon- 2001
Jesmon- 2014
Duftmon- 2007
Magnamon-2000
Sleipmon- 2005
Ulforce V-Dramon- 2002

There, please tell me how these digimon fall under Adventures nostalgia when most of them were release years after the show ended.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I don't disagree with that, but it's mostly the franchise looking back as its core and picking what's "essential" for a Gundam show, but making something new. Sometimes it work, sometimes it doesn't.

I don't think people get mad when new Pikaclones are announced as they're new Pokémon and not just giving more stuff to Pikachu and they're basically the Charclones of Pokémon.

fair enough. I think we've both made good points here, and you've given me a lot to think about.

Craniamon- 2005
Alphamon- 2003
Omnimon- 1999
Crusadermon- 2002
Dynasmon- 2002
Examon- 2007
Gallantmon- 2001
Jesmon- 2014
Duftmon- 2007
Magnamon-2000
Sleipmon- 2005
Ulforce V-Dramon- 2002

There, please tell me how these digimon fall under Adventures nostalgia when most of them were release years after the show ended.

I wasn't saying those things are literally Adventure related. But they're definitely a thing a lot of Digimon fans have nostalgia for and they're heavily leaned upon just like Adventure is.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
(my question was whether or not that's enough to be a meme instead of more obvious choices)

I totally agree that the trio of Pokemon most heavily marketed and pushed are Charizard, Mewtwo, and Pikachu. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Gigantamax Mew or Mewtwo (if we have DP remakes this gen we are certainly seeing a 'True Form' Gigantamax Arceus and I'm genuinely excited for that).

Eevee also makes sense as a mascot for Pokemon because of its many typed evolutions and cuteness, I feel like that may have been the original intention before Pikachu took off. I still want a new Eeveelution.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
isn't it a Gunpla series? Those things run on deriving from older series.
Gunpla series are all about the entire history of the show. Gundam Build Fighters for example had the main characters using modified Strike Gundam and Astray (Gundam SEED), Gundam X (After War Gundam X), Wing Gundam (Gundam Wing), Gouf (Mobile Suit Gundam), Kampfer (War in the Pocket), Exia (Gundam 00), and Qubeley (Zeta Gundam).

Look at that wide range of shows and OVAs, representing material from 1979 up to 2007! Gundam X was a series that was flat-out canceled and ended early for being unpopular and it still got to be Maoh's main Gunpla.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, did someone fucking bring up the Royal Knights when talking about Adventures nostalgia? Nope, I'm not letting that go by without notice, as not all of them were from fucking Adventures, or even gen one digivice. Alphamon the second most popular knight was introduced in X-Evolution and that was released in 2005.
In fact, isn't the only one from Adventure 01 proper (and that being from the Adventure movie) Omegamon/Omnimon? You have a few others that appeared around the same time as Adventure 01 in Digimon Media such as Ulforce Veedramon (in the V-Tamer manga) and in games/Digivices/trading cards and stuff, but only Omegamon has anything to do with Adventure all IIRC. Then with Adventure 02 we got Magnamon and Imperialdramon and stuff, but the majority of the Royal Knights have nothing to do with either Adventure series and the "Royal Knights" themselves as a concept definitely didn't pop up until later in the anime and definitely have nothing to do with Adventure nostalgia regardless.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Eevee is definitely used often. I don't have an issue with it at all though, it evolves into 8 different things so there's lots of potential. Sucks that only Eevee is getting a Gigantamax and not any of its evolutions though.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
Gunpla series are all about the entire history of the show. Gundam Build Fighters for example had the main characters using modified Strike Gundam and Astray (Gundam SEED), Gundam X (After War Gundam X), Wing Gundam (Gundam Wing), Gouf (Mobile Suit Gundam), Kampfer (War in the Pocket), Exia (Gundam 00), and Qubeley (Zeta Gundam).

Look at that wide range of shows and OVAs, representing material from 1979 up to 2007!

But the three main characters were focused on SEED and UC; at least until Yuuki started piloting an Exia in order to capitalize on 00's being ready to be referenced thanks to anime exclusivity rights expiring. And 00 is almost as big as SEED and UC for how much it prints money.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another franchise I can think of relying too much on genwunnerism is Medabots as every game features Rokusho and Metabee and that franchise is super washed up. There's something about relying too much on the same roster that holds back a few franchises.

I only watched Tomino's Gundam shows including the not good Reco G
You're missing a few good ones, even if you already watched the best one (Turn A). But I won't recommend them as you disliked the masterpiece G-Reco. >:(

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
In fact, isn't the only one from Adventure 01 proper (and that being from the Adventure movie) Omegamon/Omnimon? You have a few others that appeared around the same time as Adventure 01 in Digimon Media such as Ulforce Veedramon (in the V-Tamer manga) and in games/Digivices/trading cards and stuff, but only Omegamon has anything to do with Adventure all IIRC. Then with Adventure 02 we got Magnamon and Imperialdramon and stuff, but the majority of the Royal Knights have nothing to do with either Adventure series and the "Royal Knights" themselves as a concept definitely didn't pop up until later in the anime and definitely have nothing to do with Adventure nostalgia regardless.

peiple are stretching my words. I referred to the Knights and Demon Lords as two separate things along WITH Adventure that Bandai leans on.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least we can finally say Eevee has a "normal type" evolution I guess.

Can't tell if you're joking cuz literally every Gundam fan I know hates it lol
Genuinely enjoy it for being a very unique show with some political commentary that feels more modern than just the usual rehash of UC WW2 inspired themes. It's very flawed in pacing and dialogue doesn't make any sense sometimes, so I get it. lol

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
At least we can finally say Eevee has a "normal type" evolution I guess.

Genuinely enjoy it for being a very unique show with some political commentary that feels more modern than just the usual rehash of UC WW2 inspired themes. It's very flawed in pacing and dialogue doesn't make any sense sometimes, so I get it. lol

It's not a bad show by any means but man the Tominoisms are in full force, characters acting like weird space aliens all the time. His previous shows had it but not as extreme. Even he said he wasn't happy with it. I did really like the art direction if that counts for anything.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
But the three main characters were focused on SEED and UC; at least until Yuuki started piloting an Exia in order to capitalize on 00's being ready to be referenced thanks to anime exclusivity rights expiring. And 00 is almost as big as SEED and UC for how much it prints money.
I mean, you literally say "they were focused on SEED and UC, until they were focused on another show."

Gundam Build Fighters was "nostalgia pandering" to a show released in 1979, an OVA released in 1989, a show released in 2002, and a show released in 2007.

Pokemon is nostalgia pandering only to the games released in 1996.

Last edited:

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
peiple are stretching my words. I referred to the Knights and Demon Lords as two separate things along WITH Adventure that Bandai leans on.
But doesn't that itself make a very interesting point in that case, even if it's not necessarily the one you were trying to make? That if you want to argue that Royal Knights is nonetheless still nostalgia pandering, that's fine. But even if so "Royal Knights nostalgia pandering" would be more equivalent to something, like, say pandering to fans of Gen 3 in Pokémon or something, Idk, because the point is that the Royal Knights as such, along with most of the members themselves, were not a concept from the beginning of Digimon or anything (with the Royal Knights as a concept really taking off around the time of stuff like the X-Evolution movie and Digimon Frontier, Omegamon aside). And indeed, if series like Digimon can pander to nostalgia by focusing on stuff like the Royal Knights, which don't exactly have much to do with the origins of the series, if you can nostalgia-pander from random points in the series like that like Digimon does via stuff like the Royal Knights... that makes the case that Game Freak and Pokémon itself could almost certainly do the same thing, and not everything has to be Gen 1 pandering, that other stuff would work just as well, so..