• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
Gone forever next gen for whatever gimmick they come up with then.
This is also a problem. Why should we care for any new feature or gimmick, even QoL stuff, if everything has a good chance of getting the axe in following entries and pretended to never have existed ever before? Up until now we thought at least Pokémon themselves were safe (especially after bank promising us to moving our mons to new games) but now not even that is a given. Stuff like getting a notification when the daycare has a new egg or knowing what pokémon you have yet to capture in a particular biome should have been no-brainer features going forward and even those were promptly forgotten.

BinaryPork

Oct 31, 2017
The long cat meowth is possibly the best gen 1 pandering I've seen in SWSH yet.

Would it have been too much to do a long Purrloin instead though? At least for variety in terms of generations.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh, thinking more about it, as it stands, the Royal Knights as a concept in Digimon are a better example just in-of themselves of paying homage to the history of Digimon in general as they're composed of members from multiple different generations and points in history of the Digimon franchise. You have early stuff like Omegamon and more comparatively recent stuff like Jessmon, and all kinds of stuff in between. If someone nonetheless wants to argue that's nostalgia, that's fine, but as it's a kind of nostalgia that panders to fans of all kinds of different generations it's a kind of nostalgia I'm much more fine with than what Game Freak appears to be doing here.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The long cat meowth is possibly the best gen 1 pandering I've seen in SWSH yet.

Would it have been too much to do a long Purrloin instead though? At least for variety in terms of generations.

Skitty or Glameow as well.

The leak apparently confirms a
regional Meowth evolution / form

:/

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
You can always ask a friend to lend it to you for a couple of days or rent it since it just asks for a saved game. It's scummy but at least it's not 50€ physical DLC Mew level of scummy.
I was actually texting some friends to ask if they have the game right as I saw the responses here lmao

Man, it sure was good to know that Let's Go was only a casual game and not for the core Pokémon fan and would in no way influence on the core series

And that this one was the game that would make us happy

By locking an exclusive form behind the game not for us
I'm so pissed, but also kind of disappointed. And at the same time a little bit sad that I never bought Let's Go. That's capitalism for ya

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Gigantamax Pikachu will be super insane if it does have the Let's Go stats/moves.
Gigantamax doesn't require a held item, so it can hold Light Ball.

160 Attack , 120 Speed, a +2 Priority move that always crits, a 90 power flying move that has 30% flinch, and guaranteed Paralysis on anything.

It would be ludicrous.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I mean, you literally say "they were focused on SEED and UC, until they were focused on another show."

Gundam Build Fighters was "nostalgia pandering" to a show released in 1979, an OVA released in 1989, a show released in 2002, and a show released in 2007.

Pokemon is nostalgia pandering only to the games released in 1996.

yeah I guess it's more complicated than I was making it

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they had more legendaries connected to previous gens (besides Kanto). Regigigas in gen 4 as the master of Gen 3's Regis was a neat concept and made the Pokémon world feel bigger and more connected.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
But doesn't that itself make a very interesting point in that case, even if it's not necessarily the one you were trying to make? That if you want to argue that Royal Knights is nonetheless still nostalgia pandering, that's fine. But even if so "Royal Knights nostalgia pandering" would be more equivalent to something, like, say pandering to fans of Gen 3 in Pokémon or something, Idk, because the point is that the Royal Knights as such, along with most of the members themselves, were not a concept from the beginning of Digimon or anything (with the Royal Knights as a concept really taking off around the time of stuff like the X-Evolution movie and Digimon Frontier, Omegamon aside). And indeed, if series like Digimon can pander to nostalgia by focusing on stuff like the Royal Knights, which don't exactly have much to do with the origins of the series, if you can nostalgia-pander from random points in the series like that like Digimon does via stuff like the Royal Knights... that makes the case that Game Freak and Pokémon itself could almost certainly do the same thing, and not everything has to be Gen 1 pandering, that other stuff would work just as well, so..

I guess I see your point, but the most popular Knight is still the one that appeared in Our War Game. It'd be different if the Knights were popular alongside, like, SaintGalgomon and Agnimon and ShineGreymon, but it's not *quite* there, so to speak.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What rubs me the wrong way is that this is the same people that last year were dunking on us saying "this is game is not for you, shut the fuck up and wait for the one releasing next year that is going to be for you" and we are in next year and we're back to exactly the same arguments because Game Freak in the end didn't seem to give a fuck at all. And we're being told again to shut the fuck up and don't complain because this game is not for us. Or something.
Yup

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The original intention was Clefairy iirc. Now that's something that got neglected.

The Poke Doll item has been depicted as a Clefairy.

Lillie's farewell gift to you at the end of Sun and Moon is a Poke Doll, which is a Clefairy.

And in Ultra Sun and Moon when you team up to battle with Lillie in Team Rainbow Rocket, the pokemon she uses is a Clefairy.

And to add further Parallel's, Lusamine, her mom, uses a Clefable as part of her team.

...Yeah remind me how Clefairy is neglected again when it's one of the main pokemon for one of the main characters in Sun and Moon?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The Poke Doll item has been depicted as a Clefairy.

Lillie's farewell gift to you at the end of Sun and Moon is a Poke Doll, which is a Clefairy.

And in Ultra Sun and Moon when you team up to battle with Lillie in Team Rainbow Rocket, the pokemon she uses is a Clefairy.

And to add further Parallel's, Lusamine, her mom, uses a Clefable as part of her team.

...Yeah remind me how Clefairy is neglected again when it's one of the main pokemon for one of the main characters in Sun and Moon?

I cant tell if this is sarcasm
Something originally considered as the mascot gets minor attention 20 yrs later lol. Pretty sure shes more known for being paired with alolan vulpix than clefairy thanks to the anime too.

Last edited:

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I cant tell if this is sarcasm

The only Sarcasm I've seen is implying that Clefairy is somehow a pokemon that's been neglected.

Don't even start me on competitive battling. Clefables been one of the main pokemon that's been getting consistant buffs over the generations with stuff like Magic Guard and the Fairy Re-Typing. Base Clefairy got Friend Guard along with Jigglypuff as well which is still one of the best doubles abilities in the game.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they just mistook it for this.

I was mainly thinking Purrloin because it was already standing up, so it would make another good long cat.

No,
From the leak:
"Gigantamaxing will ... supersize Pokemon ... Meowth looks like long cat [...] Some Pokemon, like Farfetch'd, will get regional evolutions, like Sirfetch'd. Meowth looks like a ball of spiky grey fur

... I also forgot that Purrloin stands up in its 3D model. O_O

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I figured as much. I personally love Butterfree, but none of my younger siblings would even know what it is, nor what I expect them to.

I grew up with Gen 3 and 4. When I think of a moth Pokemon, I think of Dustox. The only people that would appreciate this would be nostalgic Gen 1 players, or Butterfree enthusists. It would not be marketable to new players/children.

If any I think it's part of the whole plan: why bother with actual, new creatures when they can just dust off these 20 year old Pokémon that kids these days don't know of and make them pass as new creatures by giving them a new type, new colors and such.

And it goes back to what I said earlier: they must think that Pokémon from the past few generations are too new to get "revamped". Yeah, Generation II or III are also old enough I guess, but maybe they just don't find the inspiration, like when they said they wanted to give Flygon a Mega evolution but it just didn't work, or didn't feel right, or whatever was the issue.

It's really hard to tell what's the audience they aiming to. Kids these days probably weren't even born when BW came out almost 10 years ago. But Unova Pokémon have been present in Gen VI and VII anyways. But it's more likely that kids are more familiar with Kanto Pokémon, not because of the virtual console or Let's Go, but because of Pokémon Go (Unova Pokémon are barely starting to appear on the app). I've been surprised by the amount of little kids that I see with their parents at the park during Community Days, I'm like, how do they even know or like Pokémon?(because usually the ones I've seen, the kids are the ones playing, and not the parents).

But then what would be the purpose of the "Kanto pandering", to re-introduce old Pokémon as new Pokémon with a new paintjob, or to include these old Pokémon because recently they were made popular again thanks to Go?

I really doubt it's to please older fans.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I give Eevee the benefit of the doubt because it hasn't been NEARLY as shoved in our faces as Pikachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo have been. Let's Go! Eevee was probably the first time it got such a spotlight.

Besides, everyone knows that Eevee is superior to Pikachu so Eevee is a-ok in my book.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I give Eevee the benefit of the doubt because it hasn't been NEARLY as shoved in our faces as Pikachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo have been. Let's Go! Eevee was probably the first time it got such a spotlight.

Besides, everyone knows that Eevee is superior to Pikachu so Eevee is a-ok in my book.
I agree it's not worse, but the issue is the same between all of them.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I agree it's not worse, but the issue is the same between all of them.
Oh no I'm definitely really upset about all the attention that Game Freak showers on Gen 1. I've shown my displeasure so many times lol. I absolutely hate it.

Eevee > Pikachu is something I'll defend to the death though.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
The only Sarcasm I've seen is implying that Clefairy is somehow a pokemon that's been neglected.

Don't even start me on competitive battling. Clefables been one of the main pokemon that's been getting consistant buffs over the generations with stuff like Magic Guard and the Fairy Re-Typing. Base Clefairy got Friend Guard along with Jigglypuff as well which is still one of the best doubles abilities in the game.

1) How are you getting this riled up over his comment.

2) He was saying the whole Clefairy as a mascot character was neglected. Not the pokemon itself.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
What rubs me the wrong way is that this is the same people that last year were dunking on us saying "this is game is not for you, shut the fuck up and wait for the one releasing next year that is going to be for you" and we are in next year and we're back to exactly the same arguments because Game Freak in the end didn't seem to give a fuck at all. And we're being told again to shut the fuck up and don't complain because this game is not for us. Or something.
Yep, they just didn't give a shit. Which I would prefer if they would just be honest
" I don't give a fuck about what you want, nor do I want to hear you talk "

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Yep, they just didn't give a shit. Which I would prefer if they would just be honest
" I don't give a fuck about what you want, nor do I want to hear you talk "

You should have seen the thread about EXP Share being baked in. Just constant shitting on people daring to be upset that the way they've played Pokemon for 20 years is gone.

I think that's the thing that really bites me the most with Gen 8 so far. There was this notion set up that it would appeal to the core fanbase and that wasn't really the case. LGPE logically should gotten the pandering out GF's system but it seems to have done the opposite.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I'm so sorry but these look so stupid. Man, Sword and Shield has been such a letdown showing actual new pokemon. This is such unnecessary filler to milk things like Charizard and Pikachu even more. Meowth is just the long cat meme..... very lazy.

Oct 26, 2017
I think that's the thing that really bites me the most with Gen 8 so far. There was this notion set up that it would appeal to the core fanbase and that wasn't really the case. LGPE logically should gotten the pandering out GF's system but it seems to have done the opposite.

This is exactly what I said would happen too. Everyone was stupidly convinced that GF was going to split the main series into the hardcord/casual branches, when there was no indication that it was actually going to happen that way (hell, GF THEMSELVES have said that they didn't want to branch the userbase for Let's Go, they legitimately thought that diehards and casuals would love the game equally).

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I mean the blowback today is ridiculous. I've never seen anything like it. It's like the community went to 11.

Especially as 4 of them leaked hours before without such a reaction. It's...quite astonishing.

My reaction to the leaks was just.... huh ok were these pokemon forms really needed? I want to see actual new pokemon and I really do feel Sword Shield is really weak in showing off new reveals so far. I'm getting less excited for it every passing day. I loved the Ponyta design but.... these are just really uninspired.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just remembered that you can only use Dynamax'd Pokemon in Max Raid battles or arenas and only Pokemon caught from Max Raid battles can be Gigantamaxd, I guess the event Pokemon here are the exception :/

That just makes it feel more underwhelming to me. I was considering using Gigantamax Charizard but at this point I'm not even sure if I'll even see it til the lategame. We'll see.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'll end tonight saying since Butterfree is getting some attention, you better make the Gigantimax Shiny pink this time around.

pink-butterfree-1141235-1280x0.jpeg

Finally make the Lake of Rage person make sense and save us from... this one.

960b03ac2f23b71b82d124b851065607.jpg

Man, I wish more Shiny Colours are added in general. Add in a White Gengar and a Black Dress Gardevoir shiny considering their mega's are gone now.

d7mnhad-84ea747b-376f-4445-adae-41acaadad16c.png

5226f6be634968e9d25156084dcd8c5b.jpg

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
these are just really uninspired.

Uninspired is just the new buzzword for "I don't like thing"
Same shit happened with last gens final evolutions where people prop up realistic cats as better and more inspired.

It's going to be the same shit when the starter evolutions are finally shown with people exploding over how apparently awful they are compared to fan versions, only more severe because everyone's been egging each other on to be more and more vitriolic recently

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll end tonight saying since Butterfree is getting some attention, you better make the Gigantimax Shiny pink this time around.

pink-butterfree-1141235-1280x0.jpeg

Finally make the Lake of Rage person make sense and save us from... this one.

960b03ac2f23b71b82d124b851065607.jpg

Man, I wish more Shiny Colours are added in general. Add in a White Gengar and a Black Dress Gardevoir shiny considering their mega's are gone now.

d7mnhad-84ea747b-376f-4445-adae-41acaadad16c.png

5226f6be634968e9d25156084dcd8c5b.jpg
Preach

So many shinies need to be tweaked, Gamefreak are just cowards.