• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Horsemen is a cool title.
I got into that rabbit hole because I was playing Persona 5 and just made this guy while also being corrected earlier in this thread about Lance being part of the Elite Four and not being gen 1's champion
latest

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Horsemen is a cool title.

Reminds me that I likely won't get my Dullahan wish for the region.

Tag Team from the TCG should inspire a new gimmick tbh. Then you could have the duck knight riding on rapidash.
That and the Break mechanic, which is sort of like Mega but not limited to a few Pokemon.

That's just your perception. Like how I feel like stanning first party characters for Ult is the no. 1 most hated thing around here.

is it though? people hate on the game for reasons like "no character diversity", "glitch exploits" or the old "just move on" among other things from not only the average gamer but people who prefer newer iterations. Combined with the whole "its not a fighting game" meme its almost always negative, especially concerning the community which does have some questionable people but a lot of good too.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm looking forward to SwSh, buying day 1, excited by most new stuff, and even so - this is one of the most disappointing reveals I've seen. A month until release and they reveal 5 gigantamax forms, nothing else, 3 have various paywalls, all gen 1 Pokémon (I'm fine with gen 1 getting more than other gens but now it's almost only gen 1). What baffles me the most is that somehow GameFreak thinks gigantamax forms are something to get hyped about? I feel they've done a poor job of selling the new feature and letting us know how it impacts the game and dropping new ones with no context doesn't help.

The backlash it's getting is justified in my eyes.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I'm looking forward to SwSh, buying day 1, excited by most new stuff, and even so - this is one of the most disappointing reveals I've seen. A month until release and they reveal 5 gigantamax forms, nothing else, 3 have various paywalls, all gen 1 Pokémon (I'm fine with gen 1 getting more than other gens but now it's almost only gen 1). What baffles me the most is that somehow GameFreak thinks gigantamax forms are something to get hyped about? I feel they've done a poor job of selling the new feature and letting us know how it impacts the game and dropping new ones with no context doesn't help.

The backlash it's getting is justified in my eyes.

Gigantomax seems like such an... overengineered(?) feature? I don't know what else to call it.

It's an exclusive power-up form, alright. Kinda like Megas. But not all Pokémon can use them. Like Megas again, alright. Not all species can use it, makes sense. But then even on the chosen species only certain Pokémon from that species can use that special form, and those Pokémon are caught at multiplayer raids. This is kinda wack

But then there's an exclusive giant power up form that is locked to a single pokémon of three selected species that are only available if you bought another game (that is not a part of this generation btw) or if you buy this game early

It just seem like an inferior and more convoluted Mega evolution

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Uhhh, nah naaah.

Ya see, I'd have zero problem going in blind if they were like they were before. But a few gens back they started making the starters evolve into shit that's soo different from their base just to subvert our expectations that no, you can't really get a handle on if your favorite starter will retain anything other then a color scheme.

Gen 5 was fucking surreal to me ... I hated EACH AND EVERy starter's final evol yet for the most part loved their first 2 stages and overall LOVED the designs of non-starters that gen. Knowing what he became allowed me to keep my Otter a OTTER before he transformed into an ugly ass samurai sea lion covered in silly looking shell gear.
WEAK

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is it though? people hate on the game for reasons like "no character diversity", "glitch exploits" or the old "just move on" among other things from not only the average gamer but people who prefer newer iterations. Combined with the whole "its not a fighting game" meme its almost always negative, especially concerning the community which does have some questionable people but a lot of good too.
I mean more in the sense of "being the most hated thing here". Melee is generally kinda disliked by other fighting game communities.

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
The whole marketing for this thing has just been a cluster.

Seems that some people are shocked that others don't give GF the benefit of a doubt and take this as a sign of a lacking gen/ experience. This is the first time the series has simply CUT Pokemon ... we don't know how many were cut but it's been the boulder that finally crushed some of our tired backs. If there's ANYTIME not to play things super close to the vest in relation to new Pokemon it's now ... ya know, the game where Old pokemon are being cut cause it's apparently too hard to keep em? IDK, reasons?

We basically only know of 20 new Pokemon a month before release, if there's a sizable number of them GF shouldn't feel like they're sharing too much by showing like 3-5 new ones between the 24hour stream and this trailer a month before release... it's understandable to worry about the offerings of this game when they hype up a reveal this close to release that's legit just bigger ad uglier versions of the gen 1 poster bois.

And the gen 1 pandering ... I don't even know who it's for anymore. Kids who started playing the games in like gen 3+ are likely to have their favs be newer pokemon or pokemon that were important to the anime (which heavily promotes NEW pokemon), People my age who have played from the start are likely to have their favs through out all the gens as we've played every game. Only people who by large care ONLY about gen 1 are people who ... stopped playing around gen 2. They're not gonna buy this cause they stopped playing. Shit could work for Pokemon Lets Go cause it's a literal remake of the gen they played but easy mode designed to be played with kids.

I really don't know what to say ... this is the least hyped I've ever been for a Pokemon game. Even the big feature I cheer for I can't even be fully happy with (It's the Wild Area. Yay, over world and open world Pokemon ... but they seem to just BE there. Why is the buff boi body builder Pokemon not working out by lifting rocks or doing chin ups on trees in the vids I've seen? Why is he just aimlessly walking around like a zombie? wtf?)
I can't muster the fucks to give about a lame fluff gimmick that's gonna be dropped after this game, feel like we know next to no NEW Pokemon, new forms are going to Gen 1 as if no other gen is a thing and IDK if one of my favorite Pokemon are even gonna be in this game ... it's shocking.

So I can't blame others to venting their feels on this. There's no reason to try to police anyone's tone, this is all kinds of not-great handling by GF/ TPC.

What they did to my OTTER is a sin against god I say ...

BeanBoi

Jun 20, 2019
Literally Page 1.
And someone who got themselves banned for insulting Serebii.
The banned one, sure. But toxic because they swore? The fuck? "Miss me with the Gen 1 bullshit" is toxic??

If I say, "this is fucking stupid, I hate how Gen 1 Pokemon are being prioritized", is that toxic? I genuinely don't understand and the only conclusion I can come to is that you and others just don't like it when negative criticism of the game is overwhelming. I understand that, but I would respond by saying there is a REASON that people are upset! It is not fair or genuine discussion if we pretend that Gamefreak is great and that people are happy with their descisions regarding the content of this game (even if swear words are used).

To me, attacking a Dev and their character directly is toxic. Saying 'fuck Gamefreak' could be better and more constructive, but to me is not toxic at all.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
can't its uh... *checks notes* gamefreaks birthday this year, gotta celebrate by remembering gen 1!

Can we not do this? Mocking Serebii's post is getting old and at this point makes people look toxic as hell. And I honestly wouldn't even be shocked if these forms WERE because of the anniversary. While I hate the forms, I certainly think some of you really need to do your research on just how popular Pikachu, Eevee and Charizard are.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
*reads the last page*

Genuinely the only time I will say "both sides." I fucking swear y'all...

That's just your perception. Like how I feel like stanning first party characters for Ult is the no. 1 most hated thing around here.

I don't even think it's really that hated, people have just accepted they probably won't be DLC. In the Smash thread you still get people mentioning they want Dixie, Zelda characters, Rhythm Heaven, etc. I think what you perceive as hating first party characters is just people liking and defending the third party characters. Most of the time when I see someone saying they don't want more first party characters they rarely post about Smash anyway.

BeanBoi

Jun 20, 2019
I don't have the willpower to go back through this thread, sorry. I know what I saw.
I mean the same thing is just going to repeat in the next thread for anything involving this game. You're going to have people calling you out for claiming that criticism is toxic. So be prepared to defend yourself, and maybe address some of the points others are bringing up instead of labeling the lot as 'toxic'.

BeanBoi

Jun 20, 2019
Try not to take posts against Pokémon so personally
This is what it boils down to, imo. I get defending something that means something to you, but I've always been bewildered that people would rather silence criticism over something they love rather than take that criticism at face value and see what improvements might come from it. People can be annoying and dumb with basic comments like "fuck this", but I would hope that the actual criticism (in this case Gen 1 pandering) is obvious for most people and that maybe addressing the issue will improve the series overall.

Nothing will change if we pretend the bad stuff is perfect.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even think it's really that hated, people have just accepted they probably won't be DLC. In the Smash thread you still get people mentioning they want Dixie, Zelda characters, Rhythm Heaven, etc. I think what you perceive as hating first party characters is just people liking and defending the third party characters. Most of the time when I see someone saying they don't want more first party characters they rarely post about Smash anyway.
I was more joking about how our personal opinions sometimes make things seem bigger to us (when thinking rationally, I don't think people *hate* first party characters, they just don't care about them or don't care as much as me). I don't disagree with them that Melee is pretty disliked here.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
XY were begging for a Z version. The jump between Diamond/Pearl and Platinum is astronomical. A true blue Z version could have been one of the best Pokemon games, yet nothing. It's really disappointing.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Comparing this Trailer to same trailer we got 3 years ago for SM is a night and day difference:

And funnily enough, they are both on the opposite ends of what I want from a trailer this close to the release.

The SWSH one shows way too little while the SM one shows way too much.

Wonderrade

The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Can we not do this? Mocking Serebii's post is getting old and at this point makes people look toxic as hell. And I honestly wouldn't even be shocked if these forms WERE because of the anniversary. While I hate the forms, I certainly think some of you really need to do your research on just how popular Pikachu, Eevee and Charizard are.

Sorry, but uh I have no idea what serebii post you are referring to.

Regardless, not to anyone specifically but like does anyone honestly feel like a pokemon game wont sell if charizard, pikachu and eevee arent in it?

Anyway I think its silly we have had what, 3 news drops now with all of them being a gen 1 reference in some way IIRC. I get why people are frustrated

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Comparing this Trailer to same trailer we got 3 years ago for SM is a night and day difference:

And funnily enough, they are both on the opposite ends of what I want from a trailer this close to the release.

The SWSH one shows way too little while the SM one shows way too much.

Man it was extremely validating that Incineroar was part Dark after everyone was handwringing about it being part Fighting.

Decidueye being part Ghost was a legit swerve though, I was shook, and excited as fuck. Still my favorite Grass starter to this day.

I love the Alola starters and I hope the current ones can live up to them.

I think a cool gimmick would be having more than 90 brand new pokemon each gen again

lmao, if only, right?

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
If people really want GameFreak to change their way, don't buy these games, lower sales will hurt them and change their direction

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Samurott would probably be more widely beloved if Oshawott and/or Dewott hadn't been bipedal. The whiplash of going from Dewott to Samurott really hurt it.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Samurott's okay. I don't hate it but I find it really bland overall and a step down from Dewott. If it was part Fighting I'd feel better about it, but it's definitely my least favorite Unova starter (a batch I'm already not crazy about) and a contender for my least favorite Water starter.

If people really want GameFreak to change their way, don't buy these games, lower sales will hurt them and change their direction

The Pokemon games have a consistent 15 million userbase, they would have to shit the bed really hard to get enough people to not buy them in order to make an impact. I'm on the fence leaning towards not buying, waiting until the game is out and fans (not reviewers) give their impressions.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Emboar is the best of a weak bunch of starters.

Fire/Fighting is a good, if overused, typing and it has a nice movepool and a pretty good design.
Serperior has a really nice design but absolute shit for movepool and a bland typing.
Samurott has a meh design and a bland typing.

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
Samurott was begging for Fightning Type and stab Sacred Sword, it would have been very thematic.
Emboar is the weakest Fire/Fightning starter but still does fine and has a nice movepool, the best from the Unova trio.
Serperior has an amazing design but extremely bland typing and horrible movepool, the fact it's a one trick pony which basically needs its Hidden Ability to do anything says enough.

Really hoping that the Galar trio don't end up as bland as the Unova one, I was kind of expecting them to reveal middle evos by this point but keeping the surprise is nice aswell.

As for this recently released trailer?
Eh, three of the five showed forms are promotions for something else and Charizard was expected since Leon's reveal.
Butterfree was a nice surprise but I can see where the "it's always Gen 1!" sentiment comes from.

Oct 26, 2017
Samurott was begging for Fightning Type and stab Sacred Sword, it would have been very thematic.
Emboar is the weakest Fire/Fightning starter but still does fine and has a nice movepool, the best from the Unova trio.
Serperior has an amazing design but extremely bland typing and horrible movepool, the fact it's a one trick pony which basically needs its Hidden Ability to do anything says enough.

Really hoping that the Galar trio don't end up as bland as the Unova one, I was kind of expecting them to reveal middle evos by this point but keeping the surprise is nice aswell.

As for this recently released trailer?
Eh, three of the five showed forms are promotions for something else and Charizard was expected since Leon's reveal.
Butterfree was a nice surprise but I can see where the "it's always Gen 1!" sentiment comes from.

Sure, but it's one really good trick that it has.
Squarely puts it above the other two for competitive relevance at least.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I do kinda feel bad about this announcement, though. If they had shown anything that was new new instead of new old, or at least new old but not Gen 1, alongside this announcement, it would have been way better received.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I find the conversation about the starter evos amusing because I understand you, but I'm also the kind of monster that shoves the starter in the PC Boxes as soon as I have the chance because it's usually too OP and can easily become a crutch for "press A to win" when you face anything remotely challenging.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I find the conversation about the starter evos amusing because I understand you, but I'm also the kind of monster that shoves the starter in the PC Boxes as soon as I have the chance because it's usually too OP and can easily become a crutch for "press A to win" when you face anything remotely challenging.

I don't really see how that's the case if you have a full team of six. I've never had my starter significantly overleveled.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017

Starter Pokémon arnt generally op though.
The game is just consistently on easy mode. Changes to the exp. share are totally gonna double down on that fact this gen.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really see how that's the case if you have a full team of six. I've never had my starter significantly overleveled.

It's already a tradition at this point for me. Later in the game it's not that big deal, that's true, but it's too easy to lean on it for the fist couple of gyms while carrying the rest of mons you're trying to level up.