• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Rockstar marketing

TCbY1ps.gif

Lol

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Trailer with gameplay stuff + impresssions from journalists/youtubers who saw footage at R*. Thats my guess.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It's strange how little this game has been promoted. What happened to all the gameplay trailers they made for RDR1.

RDR1 was basically a new IP. RDR is a big name now. It markets itself.

GTA V happened XD Rockstar is that big now that they can afford to not show game up until 2 months before release and still end up with one of the best selling games in last 5-10 years.

Rockstar marketing was like this before GTA V happened though. GTA IV didn't have any gameplay before release.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Are those 4 playable characters?

Edit: ah only Arthur is playable, If I recall.

That's cool too, I think I prefer playing as one character anyway

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want another "Life in the West" trailer series please. Still not playing until (if?) it hits PC tho :(

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trailer with gameplay stuff + impresssions from journalists/youtubers who saw footage at R*. Thats my guess.

I always hate this. Twitch/YouTube personalities have mastered the over-exaggerated reaction since they do it daily on their channels and they dont hold back on impressions that they only get to see. I rather R* employees explain the game and how excited they are. At least that's more transparent.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
I want to see single player as if I'm playing it, UI and all. And some blowout about the online part.

Reasonably excited. I'm in for an open world western. Hope they didn't compromise on the single player in favor of the online part.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I always hate this. Twitch/YouTube personalities have mastered the over-exaggerated reaction since they do it daily on their channels and they dont hold back on impressions that they only get to see. I rather R* employees explain the game and how excited they are. At least that's more transparent.

I don't think Rockstar will show YouTubers and Streamers the game. Only journalists AFAIK.

WieDerrickWie

Jul 4, 2018
I'll be honest, I'd personally be fine without seeing gameplay since we pretty much know how it's going to play. I want to go in completely dark about any new features they've added.
I would like to know if the heists play like they did in GTA V and if there's character swapping, but thats it.
*edit* Although if they pulled an Assassin's Creed 1 where SURPRISE there's actually a completely separate unskippable story and setting that slows down the entire experience, I'd be pretty disappointed.

DeeDogg

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Florida
I'll be honest, I'd personally be fine without seeing gameplay since we pretty much know how it's going to play. I want to go in completely dark about any new features they've added.
I would like to know if the heists play like they did in GTA V and if there's character swapping, but thats it.
theres no character switch thankfully

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Since when ? With GTA V we had much more coverage. We had pretty much nothing for RDR2, and the game is coming out in like 3 months.
No we didn't. GTAV's gameplay trailer came out 10 weeks before the game's release. We're still ahead of that timeframe.

As has been posted in this thread, GTA IV never had traditional gameplay shown pre-release.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
It's strange how little this game has been promoted. What happened to all the gameplay trailers they made for RDR1.
There's not actually that much incentive to advertise until you're near release due to the way users consume media.

Having talked to a game marketer before, apparently almost everyone just watches the trailers when a game is first announced, and then often doesn't re-engage until one month before launch.

Obviously a stage like E3 or a beta is a bit of an exception.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Since when ? With GTA V we had much more coverage. We had pretty much nothing for RDR2, and the game is coming out in like 3 months.

GTAV had 6 trailers before launch, a 2 gameplay videos months before launch, lots of artwork revealed a year prior and much more than we have for red dead which is a lil over 2 months out

Since GTA IV had no gameplay shown before release.

GTA V had so much coverage at this point before release? We hadn't seen any GTA V gameplay until 70 days before release.

RDR2 had 3 trailers so far. It's safe to assume we'll get 3 more before release. Gameplay trailer, Online trailer, and Launch trailer.

OP
OP
ASleepingMonkey

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
They don't really like those more awful YTers, they do Twitch streams with some big names but they usually avoid the other guys and I don't think they'd show them the game either. Just journalists.

DeeDogg

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Florida
Since GTA IV had no gameplay shown before release.

GTA V had so much coverage at this point before release? We hadn't seen any GTA V gameplay until 70 days before release.

RDR2 had 3 trailers so far. It's safe to assume we'll get 3 more before release. Gameplay trailer, Online trailer, and Launch trailer.
GTA4 didnt have gameplay shown but it had way more trailers and press previews than I think any other GTA. All the way from early 2007 to release in April of 2008 there was never a drought. And we got a huge GTAV blowout a whole year before the game was released along with lots of artwork, screens, and a second trailer. and 2 gameplay videos for it. Rockstar has never been this silent on one of their bigger games before

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
GTAV had 6 trailers before launch, a 2 gameplay videos months before launch, lots of artwork revealed a year prior and much more than we have for red dead which is a lil over 2 months out
Nothing you're saying refutes that their (lack) of traditional marketing hasn't been successful. That's why they do it and that's what I was answering.

The first gameplay video for GTA V was 10 weeks before launch. That's a fact. We've gotten 3 'story' trailers for Red Dead and plenty of artwork for RDR2 as well.

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone because the exact same impatience and projecting was being done in 2013 like it was now. I'm super excited for RDR2 too. I'd love a gameplay trailer right now as well. That doesn't mean Rockstar hasn't done this before or the lack of a traditional marketing campaign being indicative of the game's quality. There's precedent and a history for this exact same thing happening before. I'd expect Era to recognize that.

DeeDogg

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Florida
Nothing you're saying refutes that their (lack) of traditional marketing hasn't been successful. That's why they do it and that's what I was answering.

The first gameplay video for GTA V was 10 weeks before launch. That's a fact. We've gotten 3 'story' trailers for Red Dead and plenty of artwork for RDR2 as well.

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone because the exact same impatience and projecting was being done in 2013 like it was now. I'm super excited for RDR2 too. I'd love a gameplay trailer right now as well. That doesn't mean Rockstar hasn't done this before or the lack of a traditional marketing campaign being indicative of the game's quality. There's precedent and a history for this exact same thing happening before. I'd expect Era to recognize that.
define "plenty" of artwork. Because rn all we have is the trailer 3 arthur artwork and the same one theyve been using since october of 2016. Please post the other plenty.

Plus, in May of 2013, GTAV was already getting promoted worldwide from posters in new york and even 3 huge ones on that famous hotel in LA

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Man that "Outlaws for Life" sentence is more emotional than some stories in full games XD

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
Squeee. It's happening!

Some of the previous RDR2 topics make it seem like R* insulted half of Era's mothers. Not sure what ill will is for, we're going to get gameplay footage guys.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
define "plenty" of artwork. Because rn all we have is the trailer 3 arthur artwork and the same one theyve been using since october of 2016. Please post the other plenty.

Plus, in May of 2013, GTAV was already getting promoted worldwide from posters in new york and even 3 huge ones on that famous hotel in LA
https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/60435/Screens-From-Red-Dead-Redemption-2

https://www.rockstargames.com/newsw...Dead-Redemption-2-Is-Coming-October-26th-2018

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/60210/Red-Dead-Redemption-2-Is-Now-Coming-Spring-2018

I don't really know what point you're arguing for. You'd like more promotional material for a game you're excited for? Join the club. If you're saying the lack of traditional marketing means the game's quality isn't up to snuff I'd say go back to the precedent the company making the game has adhered to before.

DeeDogg

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Florida
https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/60435/Screens-From-Red-Dead-Redemption-2

https://www.rockstargames.com/newsw...Dead-Redemption-2-Is-Coming-October-26th-2018

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/60210/Red-Dead-Redemption-2-Is-Now-Coming-Spring-2018

I don't really know what point you're arguing for. You'd like more promotional material for a game you're excited for? Join the club. If you're saying the lack of traditional marketing means the game's quality isn't up to snuff I'd say go back to the precedent the company making the game has adhered to before.
...I dont think you know what artwork means man....

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
...I dont think you know what artwork means man....
What's your point exactly? Or are you just here to agonize over the slight discrepancy between the somewhat little marketing we got for GTAV and the somewhat littler amount of marketing we have for RDR2 2 months out from release, and right on the cusp of their actual marketing push?