• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the most interesting future for the Nintendo/Nvidia partnership is if Nvidia can start cramming RT cores into a mobile chip

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
As a Switch early adopter I hereby DEMAND that Nintendo fly someone to my apartment and upgrade my Switch battery for me and also to tell me how to beat King Hippo in Mike Tyson's Punch Out

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt Nintendo will go with another company. Nvidia expects that the hardware partnership with Nintendo will last 2 decades.

nintendoeverything.com

NVIDIA CEO says people will be "amazed" by Switch, sees relationship with Nintendo lasting two decades

During NVIDIA’s latest financial call, CEO Jen-Hsun Huang fielded a question about the company’s growth in gaming revenue. Revenue in this area saw a 60 percent jump and rose by $576 million over the last quarter. The question prompted Huang to share some interesting comments about Switch and...

There's no reason why Nvidia would not develop a next-gen Tegra chip on 7nm or 7nm+ in the next 1-2 years, which would eventually find its way into Switch 2 a couple years after that.

They're going to have to eventually create custom chips for Nintendo.

As far as mobile SoCs that could be used for gaming, Nvidia has nothing other than the Tegra X1 and X2 at the moment.

CloudCircus

Dec 9, 2017
Still thinking about getting the Lite since I mostly play on the go. The battery is enough for one or two days of gaming during commute, etc. I can always just charge it on a long haul flight, etc

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
If I may draw parallels between the two new announcements
Nintendo refrained from mentioning specs.
They didn't say it's the same or different.

So will the presumed enhancements be activated silently via firmware updates?

BrucCLea13k87

Oct 27, 2017
Do we think there might be a slight performance increase thanks to the new chip? Or is it all going towards battery life?

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Mariko is, more or less, the Tegra X2 but for actual retail
Doesn't have Denver cores, and unlikely to have that 128 bit bus ram bandwith...

Do we think there might be a slight performance increase thanks to the new chip? Or is it all going towards battery life?
We don't know for certain, but moving to a smaller more efficient chip gives it a free power boost... And Nintendo has been experimenting with clockspeeds on OG Switch. I'd say it's very likely. Willing to bet upcoming games like Dragon Quest 11, Doom 2, Wolfeinstein 3 will get performance increases, as well as support for already released games.

Oct 25, 2017
I highly doubt any developer would use performance profiles that only a fraction of the userbase can take advantage of.

If Nintendo actually marketed this thing as an upgrade, sure, but it's just a quiet replacement because they ran out of the original X1s.

This thing is gonna run exactly like the current model.

BTW, once it's time for Switch 2 I expect the usual suspects to once again massively overhype what the specs will be, only to be completely wrong once again. When will y'all learn Nintendo doesn't give a flying fuck about specs.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
So are most people getting this or are you waiting for more info about the out of the box improvements from the likely 16nm?

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
It's going to be locked to the same performance profiles as the OG model. There's no doubt in my mind. If anything else was going to happen, we'd know it now, and the device would have actual branding changes. This is literally the same thing as all of those OG Xbox 360 revisions that cut down power draw, heat, and power brick size through die shrinks, but actually marketed as reduced power draw is substantially more noteworthy when tied to something like battery life.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I highly doubt any developer would use performance profiles that only a fraction of the userbase can take advantage of.

If Nintendo actually marketed this thing as an upgrade, sure, but it's just a quiet replacement because they ran out of the original X1s.

This thing is gonna run exactly like the current model.

BTW, once it's time for Switch 2 I expect the usual suspects to once again massively overhype what the specs will be, only to be completely wrong once again. When will y'all learn Nintendo doesn't give a flying fuck about specs.
Botw and Odyssey will be the first from Nintendo. Mark my words, 1080p resolution boost. And for future third parties, DQ11, Doom 2, Wolfeinstein 3, and Witcher 3 seem like the likeliest candidates.

At the very least, developers will have target resolution and framerate performances, and this switch revision will meet the higher end of them.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
In some ways, I'm kinda glad that the only upgrade is seemingly the battery life. I think I'll save some money and wait till the Switch 2. Lol.

If Nintendo ever sort out the cloud saves issues, maybe I'll get a discounted Switch lite for play outside the house or something.

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
Woww just saw the thread title for the first time and got soo excited :(

Thought this was the new model

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Finally your candy ass is back. We've missed you.

Here's a crazy prediction. This revision is a low key modest pro upgrade. They won't advertise it like the PS4 pro, but they will offer developers higher clockspeeds for increased performance in docked mode at least.. and they will showcase it in a patch for SMO and BOTW. Going from 900p to 1080p, which is a 40% pixel increase. 1.4x is enough for 600p to go to 720p as well. I predict the upgrade will be at least 1.5x GPU, and something similar with CPU and RAM bandwidth. Perhaps they will have a boost mode activated like PS4 Pro.. games that don't have official patches will get the higher framerate and resolution cap

But I can see first party games having 900p and 1080p differences and games like Astral Chain, DQ11 will reap the benefits.

Bandwidth we are getting a automatic 33% boost. Would be nice if they can overclock the RAM even further to get 1.5x the original speed of OG Switch bandwidth.
Yeah life got pretty busy the last few weeks.

The new model does seem to be suggested to have a higher gpu clock, also the A53 cores are available on the T210b according to the new Nvidia shield tv spec sheet, where those are clocked at 1.3GHz, not sure if they will use them with the new Switch model, but they could probably handle the OS during gaming and offer more features on the newer models, but they are not treating this new Switch like a seperate model from the current one, so they might not do any of that.

The GPU being clocked higher could mean anything from 472gflops to 589gflops, I don't think they will go higher but the reported max gpu clock is actually 648gflops, so that is technically available.

The new memory can offer a 40% increase to ~36GB/s, so there is room to increase the bandwidth, room for the entire device to see a 40% increase across everything, giving these new specs as possible target for the new model:
CPU: 1.4GHz A57 quad core (with A53 quad core available)
GPU: 1.075GHz 256 Cuda cores for 550GFLOPs
RAM: 4GB LPDDR4X 36GB/s bandwidth

This is just if they want to keep the same ratios, but it isn't something they need to do, the bandwidth increase is plenty to push even more GPU clock, a 1.152GHz clock gives 589gflops and is a 50% increase, that is where I think they could push the performance to if they want.

They will have to find what they want to do with docked performance, there is so much overhead with the new efficiency that a 40% increase across all parts should still achieve a lower power draw than the current Switch when docked, and considering that the rumors were all in line with this small performance increase (even though I thought the cap was along a ~130%, when I learned that the form factor hadn't changed a few weeks ago, I reduced my expectations of such an increase to 500-600gflops. The current Switch could also see a 472GFLOPs profile, which exists already in the firmware and has been used by hackers. While bandwidth is pretty close to maxed out on the current model, I could see a 20% increase on the cpu and gpu of current model. There is room in all models for the portable clocks to reach the docked clocks. The current model would only have a 2 hour battery life, but I don't think that matters to Nintendo with the new models out.

Not much has changed for me, I still believe the big upgrade will happen in 2022-2023, giving the current Switch a ~6 year life span without a replacement on the market, similar to the 3DS or even the DS which saw 6 and a half years before the 3DS launched, putting a Switch 2 holiday 2023 launch in the same time frame.

The hybrid nature of the base Switch isn't likely to change, even if the Lite sells better, the console and portable aspect of the Switch is what gives it its relevancy in the market and I don't think Nintendo will drop the console portion of the market as long as it is relevant.

As for performance of that switch 2 model, I think the max we can see the device at is about 1.6TFLOPs when portable and just shy of 4TFLOPs when docked, that is a GTX 1060 Cuda core config, though they would likely use a more modern architecture which will have some IPC improvements, and a 4tflops Nvidia GPU is going to perform like the Xbox 1 X, that is likely what the next Switch has in store, though the CPU should be more capable, it would fit in the market similarly to the current Switch, but the target resolutions for that device should be 1080p, which will help it feel a lot closer to the next gen consoles than the current Switch does, even if in raw power, it falls right in line with the current market makeup.

OK that's enough rambling, I am pretty excited about this new device, even if it only comes from hacking it down the line, a 40% to 50% increase is not small when the performance of the normal switch is so maxed out.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If nvidia can force Nintendo's hand a little bit and not cheap out.
honestly, how soon Nintendo will get on the RT train will be more dependent on Nvidia. RT and Tensor cores take up a good bit of die space. and they need a rather big number of RT cores to have decent performance (the 2060 has 32 RT cores), so fitting that on a mobile sized processor, even at 7nm would be difficult

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
honestly, how soon Nintendo will get on the RT train will be more dependent on Nvidia. RT and Tensor cores take up a good bit of die space. and they need a rather big number of RT cores to have decent performance (the 2060 has 32 RT cores), so fitting that on a mobile sized processor, even at 7nm would be difficult
Nvidia will have to make it cheaper and more affordable, too. Don't expect a true Switch successor or "Pro" until 2022 at the very least, and only after Microsoft and Sony have both shown their cards.
In some ways, I'm kinda glad that the only upgrade is seemingly the battery life. I think I'll save some money and wait till the Switch 2. Lol.

If Nintendo ever sort out the cloud saves issues, maybe I'll get a discounted Switch lite for play outside the house or something.
Same. I'm in a bit of a bind, so I don't mind postponing my upgrade until after there's a significant performance enhanced version out.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nvidia will have to make it cheaper and more affordable, too. Don't expect a true Switch successor or "Pro" until 2022 at the very least, and only after Microsoft and Sony have both shown their cards.
making a regular, rasterizer chip isn't gonna be the hard part. by 2022, we'll probably have an Ampere tegra on 7nm for the Switch 2. then we'll see XBO-level performance. but also, by 2022, RT might be in full swing. the saving grace is that games that use hybrid RT will have a lot more overhead by going to rasterization for lower end hardware. making Switch 2 ports more feasible

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Yeah life got pretty busy the last few weeks.

The new model does seem to be suggested to have a higher gpu clock, also the A53 cores are available on the T210b according to the new Nvidia shield tv spec sheet, where those are clocked at 1.3GHz, not sure if they will use them with the new Switch model, but they could probably handle the OS during gaming and offer more features on the newer models, but they are not treating this new Switch like a seperate model from the current one, so they might not do any of that.

The GPU being clocked higher could mean anything from 472gflops to 589gflops, I don't think they will go higher but the reported max gpu clock is actually 648gflops, so that is technically available.

The new memory can offer a 40% increase to ~36GB/s, so there is room to increase the bandwidth, room for the entire device to see a 40% increase across everything, giving these new specs as possible target for the new model:
CPU: 1.4GHz A57 quad core (with A53 quad core available)
GPU: 1.075GHz 256 Cuda cores for 550GFLOPs
RAM: 4GB LPDDR4X 36GB/s bandwidth

This is just if they want to keep the same ratios, but it isn't something they need to do, the bandwidth increase is plenty to push even more GPU clock, a 1.152GHz clock gives 589gflops and is a 50% increase, that is where I think they could push the performance to if they want.

They will have to find what they want to do with docked performance, there is so much overhead with the new efficiency that a 40% increase across all parts should still achieve a lower power draw than the current Switch when docked, and considering that the rumors were all in line with this small performance increase (even though I thought the cap was along a ~130%, when I learned that the form factor hadn't changed a few weeks ago, I reduced my expectations of such an increase to 500-600gflops. The current Switch could also see a 472GFLOPs profile, which exists already in the firmware and has been used by hackers. While bandwidth is pretty close to maxed out on the current model, I could see a 20% increase on the cpu and gpu of current model. There is room in all models for the portable clocks to reach the docked clocks. The current model would only have a 2 hour battery life, but I don't think that matters to Nintendo with the new models out.

Not much has changed for me, I still believe the big upgrade will happen in 2022-2023, giving the current Switch a ~6 year life span without a replacement on the market, similar to the 3DS or even the DS which saw 6 and a half years before the 3DS launched, putting a Switch 2 holiday 2023 launch in the same time frame.

The hybrid nature of the base Switch isn't likely to change, even if the Lite sells better, the console and portable aspect of the Switch is what gives it its relevancy in the market and I don't think Nintendo will drop the console portion of the market as long as it is relevant.

As for performance of that switch 2 model, I think the max we can see the device at is about 1.6TFLOPs when portable and just shy of 4TFLOPs when docked, that is a GTX 1060 Cuda core config, though they would likely use a more modern architecture which will have some IPC improvements, and a 4tflops Nvidia GPU is going to perform like the Xbox 1 X, that is likely what the next Switch has in store, though the CPU should be more capable, it would fit in the market similarly to the current Switch, but the target resolutions for that device should be 1080p, which will help it feel a lot closer to the next gen consoles than the current Switch does, even if in raw power, it falls right in line with the current market makeup.

OK that's enough rambling, I am pretty excited about this new device, even if it only comes from hacking it down the line, a 40% to 50% increase is not small when the performance of the normal switch is so maxed out.
Where did you get 40% speed increase DDR4X? I thought it was a 33% increase from DDR4 from 25.6 to 34 GB/s?

Yeah 589 to 640GFLOPs sounds reasonable. 589 is actually 77% of 750 which is the same ratio of tx1 20nm theoretical clocks at 500 GFLOPs vs the reality of 393 GFLOPs.

If a a57 core was freed up for gaming and all four cores were clocked to 1.4GHz, how much more CPU speed are we talking for gaming? 1.87x?
Also it's a real damn shame Nvidia/Nintendo didn't decide to go up to A73s for the die shrink tx1. It should be backwards compatible with a57. It would be free upgrade in power efficiency and speed and shouldn't be much more expensive than a57, right? They cheapened out

I've noticed some mobile phones have 1866Mhz speed using DDR4X. If the Switch could overclock the DDR4X RAM to match that speed (1.16x), they would get a 1.55x boost theoretically from regular DDR4 using 1600MHz... Coincidentally enough the amount of pixels between 720p and 900p is 1.56x more for the latter. It would be nice if we could see 720p switch games go at 900p and 600 and 900p games go to 720p and 1080p, if we get these specs...

Last edited:

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Where did you get 40% speed increase DDR4X? I thought it was a 33% increase from DDR4 from 25.6 to 34 GB/s?

I've noticed some mobile phones have 1866Mhz speed using DDR4X. If the Switch could overclock the DDR4X RAM to match that speed (1.16x), they would get a 1.55x boost theoretically from regular DDR4 using 1600MHz... Coincidentally enough the amount of pixels between 720p and 900p is 1.56x more for the latter. It would be nice if we could see 720p switch games go at 900p and 600 and 900p games go to 720p and 1080p, if we get these specs...
I believe it's 40% increase in bandwidth at the same power consumption. The docked Switch's performance doesn't really matter much imo, the games that come to the Switch will still have to work at the portable performance. Maybe that's just how my expectations have worked out with the Switch, but I do think they will continue to push higher clocks, and now that the new models are coming out, we will see less of a need for the current model to have a decent battery life, if a game needs a performance increase, I think Nintendo will use the higher clocks available, which go all the way to docked performance on the current model.

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
I believe it's 40% increase in bandwidth at the same power consumption. The docked Switch's performance doesn't really matter much imo, the games that come to the Switch will still have to work at the portable performance. Maybe that's just how my expectations have worked out with the Switch, but I do think they will continue to push higher clocks, and now that the new models are coming out, we will see less of a need for the current model to have a decent battery life, if a game needs a performance increase, I think Nintendo will use the higher clocks available, which go all the way to docked performance on the current model.
I mean, I think it matters if we go from 900 to 1080p, for example. There's a chance that we could get significantly more IQ cleanup in docked mode, regardless of what happens in portable.

You could target launch portable performance to ensure good battery life for everyone, and one of the new higher profiles now in docked mode with little repercussions.

Cr1st0

Oct 28, 2017

This + orange/purple joycon sounds like a winning upgrade to me. The new battery life sounds great. I use the Switch in handheld mode all the time, but I always need to be near an power point for games like Builders 2.

That's the reason I'm upgrading too. I always have my switch connected on my car plug when I'm waiting for someone or when I stay in my car chilling. Also, carry a Battery so if I'm elsewhere and there's no power outlet, then I can charge it.

JCW

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I'll probably pick up this one over the Lite. Extra battery life is always nice and this appears to be modestly more powerful (which is always useful).

My OG Switch is getting a bit worn out as well.

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
at max power it's a 2 hour boost and at min power it's a 2.5 hour boost.

where did that half hour go?

#proswitchisreal

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I was looking at articles last week and saw 1.33x. I dunno. Anyway, I updated my last reply, but I'll say it again here... If a53 CPU was used for background tasks and the 4th a57 was freed up for games... And all 4 of the four cores were upclocked to 1.4GHz.. are we talking about a 5.6/3 = 1.87x performance? It's shame also that Nvidia/Nintendo didn't just Move on to A73s on their die shrunk tx1 vs sticking with a57. It should not have been that more expensive. The power boost and energy savings would have been worth it. It's really odd to see such an old cpu processor still used in 2019

Was also going to say that 589 GFLOPs matches 77% of 750 GFLOPs TX2's advertised 16nm you clocks, which coincidentally matches TX1's advertised 500 GFLOPs vs TX1 20nm's throttling to 393 GFLOPs

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
What do you think all the "comes with $35/3000 ¥ in eShop money!" promotions have been for?

They've been working to clear the channel.

Not sure about the rest of the world but in AU I'm already seeing deals. Not sure if related, but EB Games and Amazon AU are both running $75-100 discounts.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
The fact this won't get a distinct branding like the xbone to xbox one S hints that it might not have performance gains over the original (or pursued by Nintendo anyway) other than the mentioned battery at all. Like I said before it might run some games better on accident kinda how gamecube games loaded a little faster on wii but we will see.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
If nvidia can force Nintendo's hand a little bit and not cheap out.
The cost of including the RT cores is only the wafer space. Designing around their latest cores is just the cost of the work itself - no different between older and newer cores. As far as I'm concerned the switch is the opportunity for a showcase for NVidia and they'll be pushing Nintendo to put the best they can within power and thermal budgets.

It's perfectly reasonable to speculate pie in the sky specs for when Nintendo actually puts out a successor system.

Dec 23, 2017
The cost of including the RT cores is only the wafer space. Designing around their latest cores is just the cost of the work itself - no different between older and newer cores. As far as I'm concerned the switch is the opportunity for a showcase for NVidia and they'll be pushing Nintendo to put the best they can within power and thermal budgets.

It's perfectly reasonable to speculate pie in the sky specs for when Nintendo actually puts out a successor system.
I'm not the only one that thinks that way.... good. It will hopefully happen switch 2. I'm okay just waiting. No clock boost kills it for me but I'm happy for others. Battery life has never been an issue for me.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I'm not the only one that thinks that way.... good. It will hopefully happen switch 2. I'm okay just waiting. No clock boost kills it for me but I'm happy for others. Battery life has never been an issue for me.
I also don't think it's too audacious to hope that they unlock some higher profiles for portable mode at the cost of battery life. Maybe hide it in the settings somewhere and allow games to suggest that you enable it.

Status
Not open for further replies.