• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah just read a little bit more.
Then just change my chipset when i send it nintendo lol

With how expensive the switch's SOC is likely to be, and the logistical cost of doing something like this, you're better off just buying a new one. No one has ever replaced entire logic boards outside of recalls and manufacturing defects as far as I know.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Damn that's a big boost, I'm hella jealous. Makes the switch lite look like ass in my opinion

What they need to do is revise the shitty joy cons

If this unit comes with revised joy-cons that's the real megaton

Last edited:

NicknameMy

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
What the new Switch could do:

- Faster Boost mode, means less loading times
- No more warping Switch as it will be a lot cooler in docked mode

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
We don't know what it contains. The memory controllers are new, and so is the security system, we don't really know the node it's made in, or whether there are other changes.
We do know that there is a higher GPU clock value on the new SoC, the new Switch SoC's max GPU clock is 1267MHz, vs 998MHz on the Tegra X1, whether Nintendo chooses to upgrade the performance of the Switch models, we've only heard rumors about that, the "slight" performance upgrades we've been hearing.

The SoC was tested a year ago though, but the FCC filing for the new Switch parts in the Switch model is very recent. I think it was recently decided that they didn't want to call this new model anything different, which limits the performance increase we can expect IMO, if there is one, there is likely not going to be any marketing around any performance gains.

I think it's more likely that Nintendo upgrades every Switch model's performance a bit more, now that battery life of the old model should be less of an issue with the new models on the market.

Last edited:

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I wonder how far a price drop on the base hardware is now. I'm guessing there will be some solid discounts on the original hardware. It's going to be slightly weird having both models in the wild possibly priced the same. I feel bad for the kid that finds out his Christmas model is actually the inferior version.
It won't if it keeps selling a healthy amount

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure I remember ever saying that Red Dead Redemption 2 could run on a pro Switch? I was one of the people who thought that exclusives were not likely going to happen until 2022-2023 when the next generation Switch would launch. Honestly any game can run on the Switch, but the sacrifices that would be needed to be made would be greater than what is being done with the Witcher 3, so not sure RDR2 makes sense. If I had a port to ask of Rockstar it would be RDRedemption 1 to be ported to PC, but because of how that game was poorly handled via development, it's never happening.

Lmao ok mate:

Cdprojectred said they wanted cyberpunk on the Switch, it could easily happen with a pro model. There is no reason Rockstar wouldn't put gta6 on the switch if it can run it, and again given the time frame for a new gta game, a much more powerful Switch will be on the market by then. Square Enix said they wanted KH3 on the switch, and they have also said they were looking at porting over any game that would work on it, since ff7r isn't 2019, it could easily land on the switch pro. Ubisoft would love to put their games in the Switch, and wii u got 2 assassin's creed games so why would you think a more powerful Switch would be left out? EA is the only one there that has no interest in publishing for Nintendo, I wouldn't rule out a single other title you mention. Many of those games are multiple years off and a Switch Pro has been confirmed by our most accurate insiders, so I see many of those games coming, but I still don't think people should expect every game to come to the Switch, exclusives exist for platform growth after all.

(Before you try and deflect by saying "I didn't mention RDR2", that's covered in the "I wouldn't rule out a single other title you mention" bit, and hardly relevant anyway, seeing as you specifically mentioned other, equally demanding games.)

Just eat crow and admit that you were wrong, and way, way off the mark with all your speculation about the so-called 'Switch Pro'.

Or perhaps apologise to me? Seeing as I said:

This thread absolutely does my head in. People making these huge, unevidenced assumptions of massive hardware upgrades, and people going on about how the Switch could run games like RDR2 if it wasn't for the small cart size.

And you replied with the incredibly patronising:

This is the type of post I see a lot from people who must not read threads like this, and just assume what everyone is talking about... Next time, read at least some of the comments in the thread before such a useless rant.

I'm sorry to single you out but your presence in those Switch Pro speculation threads was overbearing and slightly aggressive, and the least you can do now is admit that you were simply making wild and incredibly optimistic guesses and trying to represent it as a certainty, and now you're trying to cover your tracks and deny you ever made those claims.

Dec 23, 2017
There's nothing wrong with boosted clocks that would break compatibility with existing games.

My existing hacked Switch used in portable mode runs at docked clocked speeds 768mhz, with RAM boosted to 1600 MHz. I can play any game in my library and have never seen any negligible effect in-game. If anything only positive results have been seen (resolution boost, loading times reduced and fps increase)
Say it again please! Tired of people acting like boosted clocks have little to no value. I will have to just stay away until more info is given or breakdown done.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
There's way too much unused overhead on these new SoC's for docked mode. When is Nintendo gonna cater to the home console crowd? The OG Switch is already topped out in docked mode with plenty of ports hitting subnative 1080p and looking bad on a 4K tv. At least quietly enable extra clock speed profiles for devs to use in docked mode.

Bunkles

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how far a price drop on the base hardware is now. I'm guessing there will be some solid discounts on the original hardware. It's going to be slightly weird having both models in the wild possibly priced the same. I feel bad for the kid that finds out his Christmas model is actually the inferior version.

They aren't going to drop the price of the base hardware. Retailers may give incentives to get the 2017 Switch until stock runs out but there will be no official price drop.

And this overused 'disappointed kid at christmas' will probably be okay if he gets a 2017 Switch.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an inmate boost in bandwidth with LPDDR4X or does that boost come from the fact that it's more efficient and can be clocked higher?

In either case it's possible they will use boosted bandwidth in every performance profile.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
There's way too much unused overhead on these new SoC's for docked mode. When is Nintendo gonna cater to the home console crowd? The OG Switch is already topped out in docked mode with plenty of ports hitting subnative 1080p and looking bad on a 4K tv. At least quietly enable extra clock speed profiles for devs to use in docked mode.

We don't know if it's unused. People keep assuming Nintendo would announce if they're was any sort of performance boost but they have never ever talked about things like that since the GC era. Nobody should have been expecting them to say anything about boost modes or whatnot, we'll have to wait until performance comparisons come in before determining if there is any sort of increased performance.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I still think the 3rd SKU should be a stationary box with an HDD and 4K HDR capability. For the enthusiasts. OBviously it will sell the least but it will serve the premium market.

Lite = Handheld play, budget device, smallest barrier to entry, 720p, $199

Hybrid = Flagship product, mid-range price, most versatile, allows home and portable play, 720p and 1080p, $299

Home = Premium product, high-range price, designed for the enthusiasts, 4K HDR, $349 or $399 depending on storage

All sharing the same library.

castaction

Oct 28, 2017
I still think the 3rd SKU should be a stationary box with an HDD and 4K HDR capability. For the enthusiasts. OBviously it will sell the least but it will serve the premium market.

Hybrid = Flagship product, mid-range price, most versatile, allows home and portable play, 720p and 1080p, $299

Home = Premium product, high-range price, designed for the enthusiasts, 4K HDR, $349 or $399 depending on storage

Im still wondering why nintendo didnt make a home one yet

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Is there an inmate boost in bandwidth with LPDDR4X or does that boost come from the fact that it's more efficient and can be clocked higher?

In either case it's possible they will use boosted bandwidth in every performance profile.

I don't think it will be clocked higher so that performance gain is moot. If it is then LPDDR4X is running at a higher frequency while still using lower wattage than the old LPDDR4 memory in the OG

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
I'm torn. I really want HDMI out but I also want native d-pads. Tough choice. Maybe I'll sit out the Switch for another year...

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Delusional is thinking Nintendo is going to start caring about power or selling consoles to a tiny niche of gamers willing to pay more for a slightly more powerful console. They'll continue to revise the Switch, because that's what they always do. And they do it when they think it's (a) appealing to a large chunk of their user base and (b) when it significantly lowers manufacturing costs. Nintendo isn't in an arms race with Sony and Microsoft. They're schooling them with lesser tech but with bigger ideas and better games.
You mean doing exactly what they've done multiple times in the past...lol

Literally the markee addition of the New 3DS at launch was that it could play games the 3DS could not. You'd have to intentionally ignore Nintendo's past to act like this isn't already common place for them. It's not delusional when this is the same shit they've done plenty of times before.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
You mean doing exactly what they've done multiple times in the past...lol

Literally the markee addition of the New 3DS at launch was that it could play games the 3DS could not. You'd have to intentionally ignore Nintendo's past to act like this isn't already common place for them. It's not delusional when this is the same shit they've done plenty of times before.
Are you seriously equating the small jump in power from 3DS to N3DS to a "Pro" upgrade? I suppose the DS to DSi was a Pro upgrade as well then? Like I said, there's definitely going to be a thread about the "Pro", and it's going to be long and it's going to leave a ton of participants in that thread unfulfilled. Nintendo does not chase power or care about users demanding more and more power. They're too smart for that and too focused on profits. They have zero reason to do it.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Are you seriously equating the small jump in power from 3DS to N3DS to a "Pro" upgrade? I suppose the DS to DSi was a Pro upgrade as well then? Like I said, there's definitely going to be a thread about the "Pro", and it's going to be long and it's going to leave a ton of participants in that thread unfulfilled. Nintendo does not chase power or care about users demanding more and more power. They're too smart for that and too focused on profits. They have zero reason to do it.
You seem to be giving the Pro more credit than its due. The N3DS and DSi could actually play games the base system couldn't, so yeah I'd say that's a Pro esque upgrade when the actual Pro really only gives resolution boosts and occasional frame rate corrections on its best days.

You seem to be the one assuming people are talking about some massive jump to be on par with PS5. Most people aren't implying that when they say Pro upgrade.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

The n3DS jump was about 6x in CPU power and 2x RAM. Arguably bigger than the jump from PS4 to Pro. It wasn't really advertised or used much but it was a very large jump.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Really don't know why I keep reading these threads. Probably hoping for something new, because otherwise it literally is the same 5 things regurgitated and it usually stems from a fresh comment from a misinformed individual that doesn't understand tech specs or something and the replies end up leading to the idea that a switch pro does exist and would theoretically be a sizable upgrade

Lol

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yet, the Switch Lite doesn't have them. Some people are giving those awful controller way too much importance. They're a mess.
Even the Lite is clearly based on them, and in the announcement video itself they put an emphasis on people needing to purchase them in order to play specific games and game modes.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017

The 4K HDR stuff seems very un-Nintendolike and I would question whether or not the sacrifices made to any game so that it can play in portable mode on the Lite or Flagship tend to undercut the necessity of a more technically superior TV-based Switch. Also, Nintendo would need to vastly improve the sharing between devices, because I think so many of the hardcore fans value the hybrid aspect of the flagship models, they aren't going to just give up portability for an incrementally improved TV experience (I know I wouldn't).

I think a pro or revised flagship console should have a bigger screen, a simplified/faceless dock (like a premium kickstand), general fixes to the joycon problems while still allowing older joycons to work, a d-pad joycon (at least as an accessory), and performance enhancements. I think that is more in line with a revision that Nintendo could possibly make.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
probably not, no. from what we heard, shipments have gone down for the sake of clearing stock

Once the release date for the new models hits, I'd imagine retailers will mark down any older models they still have on their own then (or just send them back to Nintendo). Selling models with way worse battery life for the same price as the new ones would just be ripping people off.

LakLak

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 4, 2019
What if the Lite has the same shitty contact pads that wear out after a while and then you have to replace the whole device instead of just the Joycons?

Nintendo will repair them for you. They repaired my N3DS for free when my C-stick was driting. Three years after buying it, no drift since then.

Alderaan

Apr 15, 2018
I dont understand why they dont sneak in the new dpad from the Lite model with this release. Between this getting released and the new joycon colors, would of been perfect time to "revise" the joycons with dpad an no drift...

I still think I am going to either pick up this or the pokemon edition lite model. I have an OG launch Switch model and thinking I might jailbreak that one and make it an emulation machine.

Kitten Mittens

Banned
Dec 11, 2018
I'm surprised Nintendo didn't encourage Amazon and Target to sell boatloads of old stock during the recent 2 day sales.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I dont understand why they dont sneak in the new dpad from the Lite model with this release. Between this getting released and the new joycon colors, would of been perfect time to "revise" the joycons with dpad an no drift...

I still think I am going to either pick up this or the pokemon edition lite model. I have an OG launch Switch model and thinking I might jailbreak that one and make it an emulation machine.
You may not like it but they want the left joycon to mirror the right one for multiplayer. I personally don't use it that way but it's one of their selling points for them and it differentiates the main Switch from the Lite.

I bought my Switch day one and personally I don't plan on losing TV support so I am purchasing the lite model and keeping my OG Switch for TV play and maybe someday homebrew.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It doesn't make sense to have a joycon with a joystick and a dpad on it as the default.

There's an officially licensed third party product for that or you can use a pro controller or an 8bitdo.

There's no problem to fix.

Alderaan

Apr 15, 2018
You may not like it but they want the left joycon to mirror the right one for multiplayer. I personally don't use it that way but it's one of their selling points for them and it differentiates the main Switch from the Lite.

I bought my Switch day one and personally I don't plan on losing TV support so I am purchasing the lite model and keeping my OG Switch for TV play and maybe someday homebrew.

That is a very good point, didn't think of that. In that regards it does make sense of why they didnt do that. I am thinking of maybe doing the same thing as you, OG for HomeBrow/Docked console and the the lite for on the go gaming.

The only thing I am curious about on the lite is the ergonomics. I already have to use a SkullnCo grip on my OG just to make my hands not hurt, so will be interesting to see how the Lite feels in hand.

It doesn't make sense to have a joycon with a joystick and a dpad on it as the default.

There's an officially licensed third party product for that or you can use a pro controller or an 8bitdo.

There's no problem to fix.

I mean the 3rd party options are missing a decent amount of features compared to an official JoyCon. I do already have an 8bitdo controller as well as the pro controller (which had its own "adventures" with the dpad).

I didn't say it was a problem, just that it was a good time to maybe make any revisions to the joycon if they wanted to. Obviously they have thought about what they should offer for input methods. Just look at the lite model and that having a d-pad.

But its Nintendo, and Nintendo is gonna do Nintendo things. I am just along for the ride 👍

Oct 28, 2017
Im still wondering why nintendo didnt make a home one yet

Because they outright said in 2017 that the Switch OG was their home console that would last a long time. Full quote:

"It is Nintendo Switch, so maybe we'll switch it up!" jokes Takahashi, responding to a question about whether Switch's life cycle will resemble more the company's TV consoles (completely new ideas at five-year-plus intervals) or its handhelds (subtler changes every few years). "Certainly, we've designed Nintendo Switch in a way that it can be used by consumers in the way that best suits them. I think we may see that people who have bought a Nintendo home console in the past traditionally, they may treat Switch like a home console and buy it and use it for a long period of time."

"Whereas people who have been traditionally Nintendo handheld gamers, they may buy Nintendo Switch and then for example, if a new version were to come out later, then maybe they would decide to upgrade to that."

There is what is happening right now in black and white back in 2017. Just like Takahashi said then handheld gamers now have a Lite version to upgrade to. Given that the statement of "they may treat Switch like a home console and buy it and use it for a long period of time" has obviously been their plan for the home console side since day one.

A more powerful model for home console use was never in the cards, the guy who is running the whole Switch show told us all back in 2017 that he wanted the OG Switch to represent that market as is for a long time. Just no one wanted to listen because that is boring and isn't what they personally want. But now that the other half of his statement has come true we have to accept his statement of no home console upgrades at face value.

The Switch 2 in a few years will be that big home console boost, until then it's all about the handheld gamers (better battery life, better form factors, better price). It makes sense when you realize the Wii U pretty much almost killed (could say did kill) their home console line while handhelds have long been their money maker.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is a very good point, didn't think of that. In that regards it does make sense of why they didnt do that. I am thinking of maybe doing the same thing as you, OG for HomeBrow/Docked console and the the lite for on the go gaming.

The only thing I am curious about on the lite is the ergonomics. I already have to use a SkullnCo grip on my OG just to make my hands not hurt, so will be interesting to see how the Lite feels in hand.

I mean the 3rd party options are missing a decent amount of features compared to an official JoyCon. I do already have an 8bitdo controller as well as the pro controller (which had its own "adventures" with the dpad).

I didn't say it was a problem, just that it was a good time to maybe make any revisions to the joycon if they wanted to. Obviously they have thought about what they should offer for input methods. Just look at the lite model and that having a d-pad.

Buts Nintendo, and Nintendo is gonna do Nintendo things. I am just along for the ride 👍

It's because of local multiplayer though. It makes zero sense to have an individual controller with a dpad and a joystick on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.