• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Honestly, if they go with 7nm and keep the same form factor of the launch Switch, they can go with 4SM's for 512 CUDA cores around 1.2Ghz and some A73's with 8GB LPDDR4x RAM and clock the CPU's too 2Ghz. Give me that Beefy Hybrid. Put HDMI 2.0 output on it for HDR (even 1080p HDR is fine).
For docked mode, yeah. 7nm is supposed to out next year for Nvidia, but somehow I doubt Nintendo will go through it due to the cost and they have a history of buying tech that is at least 2 years old. They could do a 12nm with 512 cuda cores for a home console and it should be fine since they don't have to worry about a battery.

I dunno if Nintendo would go with an A73 for the CPU or anything other than A57, just because it would essentially be another profile that devs have to configure.. and per hz, A73 is more efficient. Maybe they could double A57 cores? or literally just have two TX1s

At the end of of the day we have to wonder if it will really be worth it for Nintendo and Nvidia for a what could be 20% of the install base. The more customized, the less likely I think. Ninendo could totally pull a $300 PS4 console next year for a hybrid. At least it should be possible

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I might be in the minority but in getting really disappointed with this revision. I wish Nintendo had the balls to do some meaningful changes to the Switch design.

I just want three things:

1 OLED display - it costs at most 10 dollars more than the LCD
2 Reduced bezel sizes
3 Fixed joycons
OLED would raise prices by more than $50, I bet.
We're fine with LCD, most people don't care about this, they just want the games to look pretty and be fun, LCD works just fine.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I don't doubt the power of an OLED screen, but it's not as if it's some clear advantage without its drawbacks. Particularly with image retention being an issue, and the risk of screen burn depending on the quality of the screen. And then you have the issue of certain colours having shorter lifespans than others. Not to mention, manufacturing process making the screen more expensive than LCD.
Vita did it in 2010. It's ten years
OLED would raise prices by more than $50, I bet.
We're fine with LCD, most people don't care about this, they just want the games to look pretty and be fun, LCD works just fine.
What the hell are you talking about? You should Google the prices of OLED displays for smart phones.

Moreover, in a side by side comparison, the difference is jaw dropping.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Vita did it in 2010. It's ten years avi.

Moreover, in a side by side comparison, the difference is jaw dropping.

It's not. Put a Vita next to a Switch and you'd pick the Switch anytime. Same for myself having the iPhone X (OLED), and I always felt the screen is not as good as proper LCD screen in most of my viewing situations.

The Switch's screen would highly benefit from a glued digitizer & glued screen (smartphone standard), but then people would complain about broken displays...

Oct 26, 2017
Vita did it in 2010. It's ten years

Are you even aware of the flaws of the OLED Vita? The OLED Vita is infamous for screen burn issues. Additionally, it being part of the early run of OLEDs, the OLED screen has issues with lifespan as colours start to lose their vibrance. There's a reason why Sony started moving to an iteration with LCD screen in 2014. In the Vita's case, it was a failure and the cost benefit of an OLED screen was absolutely minimal. It raised the price of the system, gave you better colours, and that's really about it. No one was clamouring for it back then.

This is why I said you can't act like an OLED screen is such an objectively better technology than other options, especially when manufacturing process is still expensive, the flaws of the screen make it such that it will deteriorate and lose its vibrance over time when compared to other screens with hours counted.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
so i'm really confused atm, the "new" switch is just more battery life or has some of the features listed in this thread?

The current assumption is that it has everything listed in the datamine, yes. The new SoC and the LPDDR4X RAM seem to be used for their increased energy efficiency, which is likely the main reason the battery life of the new Switch is so much higher.

The new SoC was found to have an increased max GPU clock (1228MHz vs 921MHz of the OG Switch) but there's no word yet if Nintendo will use increased clocks at all. That's something we'll have to find out after it's released.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
The current assumption is that it has everything listed in the datamine, yes. The new SoC and the LPDDR4X RAM seem to be used for their increased energy efficiency, which is likely the main reason the battery life of the new Switch is so much higher.

The new SoC was found to have an increased max GPU clock (1228MHz vs 921MHz of the OG Switch) but there's no word yet if Nintendo will use increased clocks at all. That's something we'll have to find out after it's released.
Is it known if the base clock is indeed inchreased? Which should mean that every game automatically gets a small boost.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Is it known if the base clock is indeed inchreased? Which should mean that every game automatically gets a small boost.

"Base clock" in this case referred to the max clock of 1228MHz, not the 76.8MHz/38.4MHz multiplier. And yes, the datamine found that the base clock (again, the max clock of 1228MHz) was increased over the original base clock of 921MHz.

That doesn't mean games will automatically get boosts though, it just means the chip is capable of being clocked higher by 33%. It completely depends on what Nintendo does on the firmware/API side.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
"Base clock" in this case referred to the max clock of 1228MHz, not the 76.8MHz/38.4MHz multiplier. And yes, the datamine found that the base clock (again, the max clock of 1228MHz) was increased over the original base clock of 921MHz.

That doesn't mean games will automatically get boosts though, it just means the chip is capable of being clocked higher by 33%. It completely depends on what Nintendo does on the firmware/API side.
Ah, I thought it referred to the multiplier.

Alderaan

Apr 15, 2018
I would imagine the CPU and GPU steps developers are allowed will stay the same for now for "parity". Maybe Nintendo does a ghost update later like they did for the OG switch.

Super Barrier

Nov 20, 2017
Can we expect the original Switch to have a price cut sometime later this year? I want to buy my kids one. I don't need the latest model or the mini one...

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
but there is still one new switch model that's not accounted for (referring to Iowa and calcio). So there's possibly another revision coming in the near future, with at the very least more internal storage?

It's not clear. I'm betting one of the three is a devkit and the other two are the Lite and this new Switch.

Gurgelhals

Oct 27, 2017
Does devkits usually have their own codename?

Why would there even be a new dev kit if there is no additional performance?

I'm betting on another revision.

Simple: they need to produce new devkits based on the Mariko chipset because they're phasing out the production of the old 20nm chipset (or, far more likely, they have already stopped producing those for quite some time now).

Deleted member 49166

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
From my understanding the USB-C port on the Switch lite is going to be power Only, and won't carry any video/data streams. So even if you use that adapter, you won't get any video out from it.

It's going to be interessting if it's hardware limitations or software, imagine some homebrew guys enabling the TV out feature in the Switch lite!

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Simple: they need to produce new devkits based on the Mariko chipset because they're phasing out the production of the old 20nm chipset (or, far more likely, they have already stopped producing those for quite some time now).
I'm betting against, the new dev kit is needed for the same reason as the "updated" Switch. Nvidia is Running out of standard X1s.
Maybe you're right. This should be easy to prove, if there is a separate model in the firmware for the original devkit though.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you're right. This should be easy to prove, if there is a separate model in the firmware for the original devkit though.

So there were two separate form factors, one for retail (nx-abca2) and one for devkits (nx-abcb) for the OG Switch, even though it had three codenames (two for devkits). The new one has 3 form factors (nx-abca2, nx-abcb, nx-abcc) with 3 codenames again (one of which is the same EDEV unit the OG Switch had).

So it's likely that Iowa and Calcio are the Lite and "new" (unsure which is which, I'd bet on Calcio being Lite and Iowa being "new"), where nx-abca2 is the "new" retail unit (aka the one this thread is about), nx-abcb is the devkit again (just like the OG Switch, maybe for both devkits now?) and nx-abcc is the Lite, as it is a new form factor so it has a new code.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Can we expect the original Switch to have a price cut sometime later this year? I want to buy my kids one. I don't need the latest model or the mini one...
The current model won't exist anymore. You might see some stores putting them on clearance next month, but Nintendo won't have 3 different Switches for sale much longer.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Most places are selling the original Switch with a $30-35 eShop credit, which could effectively be a price cut if you plan to buy digitally. You'll probably continue to see retailer deals on the original until it's completely out of stock everywhere (I'd guess this will happen by the end of the calendar year).

Oct 25, 2017
New York City

Plug this into the Switch Lite and game on TV lol. 720p on a 4k screen. Still better than having to put up with joycons.
The Switch has better graphics, and thus generates more heat, when in docked mode. With a handheld only Switch, Nintendo can manufacture it with the assumption that they would only need enough cooling to reliably cool it in handheld mode.

In other words, I doubt the cooling power of a handheld only Switch would be enough to cool it in docked mode.

They could make it mirror the Switch's 720p screen, but it wouldn't be a good idea to do that for several reasons.

Oct 26, 2017
From my understanding the USB-C port on the Switch lite is going to be power Only, and won't carry any video/data streams. So even if you use that adapter, you won't get any video out from it.
It might support data (like pluggining in the gamecube adapter via a USB A adapter etc.) but I don't think anything's confirmed yet.
A secret video out option can be ruled out once there's a teardown too.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Q: Does this cable Work with nintendo switch
A: NO. Nintendo Switch use a different protocol than most other manufacturers, this one DOES NOT work with Nintendo Switch.
Yeah I noticed that. Switch actually outputs DisplayPort and the dock converts that to HDMI.

Ah well.

My dream is the Lite form factor (proper dpad and no joycon) that docks. But rumor has it the Pro that's coming in 2020 (the SKU that was delayed and Nintendo doesn't know what to do with yet) will still use Joycon.

Alderaan

Apr 15, 2018
It's going to be interessting if it's hardware limitations or software, imagine some homebrew guys enabling the TV out feature in the Switch lite!

I mean it would make sense if its just software limitation right. I can see them just using the exact same parts for Lite and Normal Switch, and then just putting in software blocks. Would make supply management of parts needed a little easier I would think.

It might support data (like pluggining in the gamecube adapter via a USB A adapter etc.) but I don't think anything's confirmed yet.
A secret video out option can be ruled out once there's a teardown too.

Ya good point. If it is a software limited port, then they can allow/disallow whatever they would like. So you could be right also support data. Maybe even an Ethernet adapter?

Though as you said, nothing confirmed until units are out in the wild.

ced

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I noticed that. Switch actually outputs DisplayPort and the dock converts that to HDMI.

Ah well.

There are plenty of switch usb c to hdmi adapters, but as someone above mentioned the switch lite most likely will not send any audio/video out its usb c port.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Think about this for a new switch model

A 10 inch screen tablet with a good kickstand that comes with a dock and pro controller, it doesn't use the joycons and is made exclusively for table top mode and dock play

Since it's much larger than the current switch it can be clocked even higher while also having 8 hr battery life since it can have a larger battery

This would exist along side the standard switch and switch lite

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Think about this for a new switch model

A 10 inch screen tablet with a good kickstand that comes with a dock and pro controller, it doesn't use the joycons and is made exclusively for table top mode and dock play

Since it's much larger than the current switch it can be clocked even higher while also having 8 hr battery life since it can have a larger battery

This would exist along side the standard switch and switch lite
Being too large to hold comfortably (no handheld mode) makes it very undesirable.
Also very expensive

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I've proposed as much before.
Switch XL or Switch DX.

My version though can play both handheld and docked, and has wireless versions of Hori Daemon X Machina joycons.

It would be a premium version meant for people who want to pay $400 or $500 for a prettier/premium device. Also thought it would be proper with a 8" OLED screen.

I laid out my 5 form factors here:

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
00001669_21.jpg
Have people seen the Disney Tsum Tsum Switch releasing October 10th?

Link

Do I want to wait an extra month to import this and not get the ugly grey joycons... Hmmmm

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
At this point, what they should do is just make a docked console only.

Really no point in a 8-10 inch tablet.

Not sure why they don't, should be trivial to manufacture and much cheaper to boot. Bundle with a pro controller instead of JoyCons for even more savings, $150 should be easily doable since there's no screen or battery.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Out of interest, do we know if the Dragon Quest XI LE Switch is the new model yet?

Edit: Nevermind. According to the Nintendo website, it is. May actually get it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49166

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
The XL is made for table top only
Standard is made for portable and table top

You can always just use a bigger tablet or mobile monitor and connect that to the normal switch in table mode.
With the focus on games, I don't see a need for an phablet switch version, since I believe table mode is the most compromise mode.

Btw: Is there any release date for the new version more specific than end of august?

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Not sure why they don't, should be trivial to manufacture and much cheaper to boot. Bundle with a pro controller instead of JoyCons for even more savings, $150 should be easily doable since there's no screen or battery.
how much power are we talking here? Nintendo would never sell a console at $150 at entry price. Pro controller saves you $10-20. I can see a PS4 level home console being sold at $300 by Nintendo with pro controller or joycons. They will make a decent amount of profit and I don't see them selling it lower than $250-300.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Will be trading in my Switch for the updated model. Totally worth it for the extra battery life.

I much prefer the look of the Lite but that's a no go since it doesn't "Switch" between handheld/docked. Portable only is a HUGE deal breaker.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im wondering if I Sell my old l'e Or keep for home brew. Does Nintendo ban account or system ?

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
R
how much power are we talking here? Nintendo would never sell a console at $150 at entry price. Pro controller saves you $10-20. I can see a PS4 level home console being sold at $300 by Nintendo with pro controller or joycons. They will make a decent amount of profit and I don't see them selling it lower than $250-300.
I mean they could have kept battery life parity with the original switch for Mariko and made it much more powerful, but they clearly don't care about power. If such a device is coming out, it's probably just a nvidia shield switch edition, with clock speed parity.

Status
Not open for further replies.