• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Yeah, I think that's it. Very distracting in dark scenes. Neither Nintendo or Gamestop are willing to take it back, I feel like I got burned hard.
If you're within the return period and they won't take it back because of the screen, make up a reason for returning it that they couldn't possibly verify. Like say it turns itself off after using it for an hour.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
has there been any video showing if running games on the new model improves performance in any way?

edit: nvm gamexplain has a bunch of videos.

Oct 25, 2017
La Résistance Country
I was looking to upgrade, but no luck still since it isn't available nowhere near me. Also warm screen is a down low for me. Still that battery life though

Your eyes will adjust to it and it probably is more accurate than the cool temperature on launch units. My TV is set to Warm 2 and I enable true tone on all of my Apple devices.

So after much consideration, think I'll bite today since EB offers a good trade-in value. I'll be traveling soon so that extra battery life will surely be handy.

Edit: Haven't see this posted, these guys actually measured the brightness and color temperature between the old and new units. The new screen seems to be better after all.

Brightness:
Old: 291 Nits
New: 318

Temp:
Old: 7200 Kelvin
New: 6757

Last edited:

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Anybody know if this model has that sharpo glass or w/e for the screen?

Also... I went to my local target and saw they had both Switch models. What confused me is that the models on the left with a white background had the pricetag of $299 (fair enough), but the updated models with the red background box art were priced at $399. I didn't see any game deals attached. I was like WTF. And this is the U.S. I wonder if anyone else has seen this? I did take a pic. Do I need to Upload it to another site? Wish I could do it straight from my phone

Last edited:

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Your eyes will adjust to it and it probably is more accurate than the cool temperature on launch units. My TV is set to Warm 2 and I enable true tone on all of my Apple devices.

So after much consideration, think I'll bite today since EB offers a good trade-in value. I'll be traveling soon so that extra battery life will surely be handy.

Edit: Haven't see this posted, these guys actually measured the brightness and color temperature between the old and new units. The new screen seems to be better after all.

Brightness:

Temp:

So, as expected, the old screens were too blue rather than this one being too yellow.

Anyone put off by the new colour temperature should just get used to it, it's closer to 6500k, which is the reference point used for calibrating video content.

Always frustrates me when people complain about "piss filters" because they're used to looking at garbage uncalibrated screens.

Chinner

Oct 25, 2017

Brightness:

Temp:

Worth mentioning that 6500 is like the target used in professional environments. So this lower value of the revised Switch makes it more colour accurate and that the old Switch lean towards being too cool.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I hit a few stores in my area and Walmart, Best Buy, and Target were all trying to clear out their old stock first.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Anybody know if this model has that sharpo glass or w/e for the screen?

Also... I went to my local target and saw they had both Switch models. What confused me is that the models on the left with a white background had the pricetag of $299 (fair enough), but the updated models with the red background box art were priced at $399. I didn't see any game deals attached. I was like WTF. And this is the U.S. I wonder if anyone else has seen this? I did take a pic. Do I need to Upload it to another site? Wish I could do it straight from my phone

I'd love to see this pic. I use imgur. Install the app on your phone and you can post it pretty quick.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Managed to track one down at Gamestop just now. I was going to replace this one with my current unit.

I just got home and this thing seems defective. The left joycon hinge is very loose when snapped in. The controller wobbles around, while my old unit's cons are snug and secure.

Am I fucked? Does GameStop even accept returns for opened products? I don't want to seem like an asshole going back there like an hour after I get it and say it seems defective. They'll probably think I'm scamming them. Lol.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to track one down at Gamestop just now. I was going to replace this one with my current unit.

I just got home and this thing seems defective. The left joycon hinge is very loose when snapped in. The controller wobbles around, while my old unit's cons are snug and secure.

Am I fucked? Does GameStop even accept returns for opened products? I don't want to seem like an asshole going back there like an hour after I get it and say it seems defective. They'll probably think I'm scamming them. Lol.

You're not the first person here to complain about the loose fitting joycon, hmm. Now I'm a little hesitant to upgrade mine lol

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Just got back from Gamestop and they pretty me told me in polite terms to go fuck myself and there's nothing they can do about it. Since the console is "opened" it cannot be returned and I did not purchase the GameStop warranty (lol). They brought out two other Switches and said it felt the same to them. "All 2.0 Switches are like that. You'll just have to contact Nintendo.", one said. I can clearly tell the difference. The left joycon hinge is super loose.

I think I'm just going to see if Nintendo can do anything about it and if not, I'll just sell it at a loss to get some my money back. What a great way to dampen my day. I'm stuck with a $300 paperweight now per say. Lol.

You're not the first person here to complain about the loose fitting joycon, hmm. Now I'm a little hesitant to upgrade mine lol

I'd wait and get it on Amazon. They accept returns no questions asked. This was just dumb excitement on my part since I thought a better battery was perfect for the Switch. Now I'm just out $300 for an inferior Switch.

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
Just got back from Gamestop and they pretty me told me in polite terms to go fuck myself and there's nothing they can do about it. Since the console is "opened" it cannot be returned and I did not purchase the GameStop warranty (lol). They brought out two other Switches and said it felt the same to them. "All 2.0 Switches are like that. You'll just have to contact Nintendo.", one said..
I have one, and they are definitely not all like that.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Just got mine (multicolor joycons) and they fit fine. System setup and good to go in just a couple minutes.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I have one, and they are definitely not all like that.

I figured. I'll just contact Nintendo and see if they can do anything.

If it's not too expensive, I'll send it in. Not a huge loss. If they won't do anything or it's like $100+, I guess I just got a pair of Red/Blue joycons for an extra $220 premium. Lol.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017

From my experiences with the wobbly joycons, it's been the fault of the joycon and not the main console. Have you tried fitting your old joycons into it? It sucks either way that they would exchange it though.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I can't even figure out Nintendo's site for this. They just link a bunch of unrelated articles and it stalls you in the contact/repair process until you pick an article (with very related stuff like how to connect a Let's Go pokeball to my Switch).

This will be an expensive lesson. Lol. I shouldn't have expected anything less from GameStop and Nintendo with this. GameStop is GameStop and the Switch in general feels like a cheap piece of hardware quality wise from the last two years of owning it. I just assumed Nintendo would've ironed out the hardware bugs two years in. I guess not.

From my experiences with the wobbly joycons, it's been the fault of the joycon and not the main console. Have you tried fitting your old joycons into it? It sucks either way that they would exchange it though.

Nope. This was one of the first things I checked. I swapped over my black cons to the new Switch and both left pairs are wobbly. I even put the new red/blue ones on my old Switch and they fit perfectly.

I don't really understand what's wrong. Both hinges look identical. There's no sign of damage or anything.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can't even figure out Nintendo's site for this. They just link a bunch of unrelated articles and it stalls you in the contact/repair process until you pick an article (with very related stuff like how to connect a Let's Go pokeball to my Switch).

This will be an expensive lesson. Lol. I shouldn't have expected anything less from GameStop and Nintendo with this. GameStop is GameStop and the Switch in general feels like a cheap piece of hardware quality wise from the last two years of owning it. I just assumed Nintendo would've ironed out the hardware bugs two years in. I guess not.

Nope. This was one of the first things I checked. I swapped over my black cons to the new Switch and both left pairs are wobbly. I even put the new red/blue ones on my old Switch and they fit perfectly.

I don't really understand what's wrong. Both hinges look identical. There's no sign of damage or anything.
I've found out that you have to call them. Even then, good luck. I have a screen with a shit ton of dust behind the screen that glows when the screen is in a dark scene. According to them, that doesn't affect the gameplay and isn't covered lmao. Absolute garbage customer service.

And I too made the mistake of purchasing from Gamestop. They wouldn't take it back either, claiming he couldn't see it. Now, I'm stuck with a $330 Switch with a screen that looks like crap.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I've found out that you have to call them. Even then, good luck. I have a screen with a shit ton of dust behind the screen that glows when the screen is in a dark scene. According to them, that doesn't affect the gameplay and isn't covered lmao. Absolute garbage customer service.

And I too made the mistake of purchasing from Gamestop. They wouldn't take it back either, claiming he couldn't see it. Now, I'm stuck with a $330 Switch with a screen that looks like crap.

I assume this will be the same thing that happens to me then. It's playable, but the left side of the console just creaks/wobbles when you hold it or even click in the sticks. It feels so cheap. I'll just stick with my Switch that feels fine to play but the battery is trash. I'm sorry about your issue. That's way worse than mine. :(

I might as well just set up the eBay page right now. Hell, I might even sell it for $150 to $200. At least I'll get some money back.

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
I assume this will be the same thing that happens to me then. It's playable, but the left side of the console just creaks/wobbles when you hold it or even click in the sticks. It feels so cheap. I'll just stick with my Switch that feels fine to play but the battery is trash. I'm sorry about your issue. That's way worse than mine. :(

I might as well just set up the eBay page right now. Hell, I might even sell it for $150 to $200. At least I'll get some money back.
For what it's with you can get $200 cash at GameStop through the 11th (tomorrow)

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017

I hope you get it sorted because having your new toy be not as good as the one you already own really sucks. If you end up having to keep it (hopefully you won't need to) try putting electric tape on the sides to make it tighter I've seen people do that with loose joycons.

I bought mine through target this time and returned it just now for a refund because of a dead pixel. They didn't even ask what was wrong with it or anything. Best Buy is very good with with returns too so I'd recommend those two if you have one close by for your future purchases.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
For what it's with you can get $200 cash at GameStop through the 11th (tomorrow)

Wait really? I'm not seeing anything about this on their website. Is this for the US? So I could get $200 cash tomorrow until the end of the day? Do I need their silly Power Up subscription for this? I'd probably just do this then. Fuck it. I'll eat the $100. Lol. I'll just go to the other Gamestop across town for it so I don't get dirty looks.

A $100 mistake. Damn. Not how I expected today to go.

EDIT: I'm only seeing articles/posts from October 2018 for getting $200 cash towards trading in a Switch for a new Switch. Lol.

I bought mine through target this time and returned it just now for a refund because of a dead pixel. They didn't even ask what was wrong with it or anything. Best Buy is very good with with returns too so I'd recommend those two if you have one close by for your future purchases.

Yeah. I went to Target first and they didn't have anything. Damn. Thanks for the advice.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Wait really? I'm not seeing anything about this on their website. Is this for the US? So I could get $200 cash tomorrow until the end of the day? Do I need their silly Power Up subscription for this? I'd probably just do this then. Fuck it. I'll eat the $100. Lol. I'll just go to the other Gamestop across town for it so I don't get dirty looks.

A $100 mistake. Damn. Not how I expected today to go.

EDIT: I'm only seeing articles/posts from October 2018 for getting $200 cash towards trading in a Switch for a new Switch. Lol.

Yeah. I went to Target first and they didn't have anything. Damn. Thanks for the advice.
Just check the value.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018

Oh man. You guys are lifesavers. This will save me a ton of time and shipping money trying to sell it on the internet. Thank you for this information!

Buying a console from Gamestop and then selling it less than 24 hours back to Gamestop for less than I paid for.

lYPPCm7.gif

God I have the worst luck. I'll probably get in there tomorrow, they'll magically notice the loose hinge and won't accept the trade in now. Lol.

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
Oh man. You guys are lifesavers. This will save me a ton of time and shipping money trying to sell it on the internet. Thank you for this information!

Buying a console from Gamestop and then selling it less than 24 hours back to Gamestop for less than I paid for.

lYPPCm7.gif

God I have the worst luck. I'll probably get in there tomorrow, they'll magically notice the loose hinge and won't accept the trade in now. Lol.
How loose is this joycon? It's not worth trading in your new unit to them just to rebuy another one.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
How loose is this joycon? It's not worth trading in your new unit to them just to rebuy another one.

Moderately loose. Enough to be distracting. You can pop up the entire joycon by applying light pressure under it. No need to press the back button to release the latch. The joycon is very loose even when it's "locked" into place. It just feels very uncomfortable/cheap to hold and that's all I'll be doing since I play exclusively in handheld mode. You can instantly notice the difference when holding my launch Switch and this one. I thought about trying tape/vinyl in-between the joy con and the hinge like a lot of youtube videos suggest but what's the point when it's a brand new console? I shouldn't need to do that. It's already an inferior product than my Switch I got two years ago. That's ridiculous.

I won't be buying a new Switch. I'll just keep the money. It seems silly, but I'd rather eat $100 than $300 since that seems to be my only option right now. Gamestop won't refund me. Nintendo most likely won't fix the issue. My only option is to sell it for a loss or keep an inferior product and live with it. I'll take the cash.

Key222

Dec 11, 2017

That would probably work out best for you. By their own policy they would have to accept your return if them admit the console is defective.

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
Moderately loose. Enough to be distracting. You can pop up the entire joycon by applying light pressure under it. No need to press the back button to release the latch. The joycon is very loose even when it's "locked" into place. It just feels very uncomfortable/cheap to hold and that's all I'll be doing since I play exclusively in handheld mode. You can instantly notice the difference when holding my launch Switch and this one. I thought about trying tape/vinyl in-between the joy con and the hinge like a lot of youtube videos suggest but what's the point when it's a brand new console? I shouldn't need to do that. It's already an inferior product than my Switch I got two years ago. That's ridiculous.

I won't be buying a new Switch. I'll just keep the money. It seems silly, but I'd rather eat $100 than $300 since that seems to be my only option right now. Gamestop won't refund me. Nintendo most likely won't fix the issue. My only option is to sell it for a loss or keep an inferior product and live with it. I'll take the cash.
Take a look at this video to see how others have fixed their loose joycon issues: https://youtu.be/GhtTQ2LHEl0.

Hope you sort this out and don't reward Gamestop with their shitty service by selling back your console at a discount. If you do sell it, you could likely get it for close to MSRP selling on craigslist or your local alternative.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

Why don't you try and return it to a different location?

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Why don't you try and return it to a different location?

I could try this tomorrow first. I just assumed if one store wouldn't accept it, the other wouldn't as well. The employee said that new consoles can't be returned if they are open ("It's our policy and on the receipt") and neither of them would admit the console seemed defective. Both said it was completely normal. They both seemed very nervous so I think they were just blowing smoke up my ass and didn't want to process a return.

Take a look at this video to see how others have fixed their loose joycon issues: https://youtu.be/GhtTQ2LHEl0.

Hope you sort this out and don't reward Gamestop with their shitty service by selling back your console at a discount. If you do sell it, you could likely get it for close to MSRP selling on craigslist or your local alternative.

Craigslist seems like a major hassle for me to set up a meeting place or shipping it out. Who is going to want a console for near full price that seems to be defective though?

It sucks "rewarding" Gamestop, but I feel like my hands are tied. I just want to get this mistake over with.

Maxflier

Nov 22, 2017
Louisiana
User Banned (3 Days): Encouraging Fraud
Maybe buy another one from Gamestop and just swap the dock and stuff over to the box with the Switch you want to return?
Since there is no seal on the box they cant prove you opened it if everything looks brand new.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one irrationally bothered by calling the Joy-Con rail a hinge lol

Like, it shouldn't really bother me and I know exactly what you mean, but hinges rotate my dude

Oct 28, 2017
California
There wasn't really a hard release date, it's just a thing where at some point new shipments will switch over to the new model. At least around here (Northeast US) GameStops seem to be getting them already, but the one Best Buy I checked in before finally finding one hasn't gotten any yet.

Thanks for the info, thought this was going to be a hard release date, looks like I gotta go looking out in the wild now lol

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Maybe buy another one from Gamestop and just swap the dock and stuff over to the box with the Switch you want to return?
Since there is no seal on the box they cant prove you opened it if everything looks brand new.

I seriously thought about doing this but was sure I'd get caught due to smudges/fingerprints on the console (even if I tried to clean it). Just go in and say I didn't need it anymore. I didn't want to risk it. I thought they might think I was like swapping it out or something if I came back like an hour later. Lol.

Am I the only one irrationally bothered by calling the Joy-Con rail a hinge lol

Like, it shouldn't really bother me and I know exactly what you mean, but hinges rotate my dude

Sorry. Latches? I don't know what to call them. Lol.

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
I could try this tomorrow first. I just assumed if one store wouldn't accept it, the other wouldn't as well. The employee said that new consoles can't be returned if they are open ("It's our policy and on the receipt") and neither of them would admit the console seemed defective. Both said it was completely normal. They both seemed very nervous so I think they were just blowing smoke up my ass and didn't want to process a return.

Craigslist seems like a major hassle for me to set up a meeting place or shipping it out. Who is going to want a console for near full price that seems to be defective though?

It sucks "rewarding" Gamestop, but I feel like my hands are tied. I just want to get this mistake over with.

Go to another store, that's good advice. Because those guys are trying to push you around. It doesn't matter if the console is open or not. You can exchange it for another one, per their policy-- which you should point them to:
  • Opened new merchandise (including tablets) = identical exchange within 30 days of purchase.
And they use the word 'identical' in their own policy. Which means that though they may try to give you an opened/used Switch console, you can force them to give you one with the same model #. Which is different on the new Switch.

Don't let Gamestop win.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry. Latches? I don't know what to call them. Lol.
The long part is a rail, the locking part is a latch. But I'm just being pedantic lol

Also you weren't kidding about Nintendo's site, it also did not always used to be this confusing.

It legit seems you can't set up a repair for an undefined issue without calling. Ridiculous that there's no 'other' option.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Why would anyone purposely shop at GameStop if their return policy is so anti consumer? Shop at Target where they let you return anything for any reason.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Why would anyone purposely shop at GameStop if their return policy is so anti consumer? Shop at Target where they let you return anything for any reason.
a lot of people don't know, and/or they don't think anything will go wrong with the purchase. How many employees specifically tell shoppers abou their return policy vs them looking at the receipt and reading it?

a lot of people don't know, and/or they don't think anything will go wrong with the purchase. How many employees specifically tell shoppers abou their return policy vs them looking at the receipt and reading it?

Oct 25, 2017
Yea the left hinge on my new Switch is a bit loose as well. Tested it with a separate new pair of Joy-Con.

On the old Switch the Joy-Con would end up loosening up anyway, but when I'd put in new ones it would be fine again. But now it's just loose from the system itself lol. Whatever, they all end up loose regardless.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017

I understand being upset etc but unless I missed one of your responses, it seems you keep ignoring the suggestions mentioning there may be a fix for this (?) You still have time to try it and see if it resolves the issue.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Amazon still doesn't have these in stock even though the old models are only being sold by non amazon sellers

Otheradam

Nov 1, 2017
Really want to get one but will wait for Best Buy/Target to get shipments instead of going to Gamestop. Might call the Nintendo Store in NYC in an hour when they open to see if they have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.