• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
First they deny my repair, then they lose my 3 pairs of joycons I sent in for drift. Sent it to some random address, I'm sure it's going to take them weeks to resolve that. Wow.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Caved and picked up the new Switch 1.5 or whatever we want to call it, today. Ordered online via BestBuy and picked it up from their 62nd St location in NY. Box says quite clearly that it's manufactured in China.

Won't really get around to messing with it until my new screen protector arrives on Wednesday, but I'll likely spend tonight or tomorrow backing up my SD card to an external HDD.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Waiting on the new HAC-001(-01) to be available on Amazon like:

waiting-skeleton.jpg

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Any good comparisons out there? Battery life seems roughly doubled, screen seems a bit more accurate, anything else?

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I was planning on selling my old Switch, and have Nintendo Switch online so I have cloud saves of my games. Is there anything else I need to do before selling it?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I was planning on selling my old Switch, and have Nintendo Switch online so I have cloud saves of my games. Is there anything else I need to do before selling it?

If you want to keep some saves like Splatoon 2 and Pokemon, you need to do the transfer because those don't have cloud saves.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Moderately loose. Enough to be distracting. You can pop up the entire joycon by applying light pressure under it. No need to press the back button to release the latch. The joycon is very loose even when it's "locked" into place. It just feels very uncomfortable/cheap to hold and that's all I'll be doing since I play exclusively in handheld mode. You can instantly notice the difference when holding my launch Switch and this one. I thought about trying tape/vinyl in-between the joy con and the hinge like a lot of youtube videos suggest but what's the point when it's a brand new console? I shouldn't need to do that. It's already an inferior product than my Switch I got two years ago. That's ridiculous.

I won't be buying a new Switch. I'll just keep the money. It seems silly, but I'd rather eat $100 than $300 since that seems to be my only option right now. Gamestop won't refund me. Nintendo most likely won't fix the issue. My only option is to sell it for a loss or keep an inferior product and live with it. I'll take the cash.
Did you ever find a solution? I tried again calling Nintendo again and this time I talked to someone much more receptive. They're going to let me send the console in and replace the screen. If they feel it's a manufacturing issue, they will replace it free of charge. Other wise, I gotta pay a fee. Still beats being stuck with a crap screen.

I'd ring Nintendo a few more times and see if someone would be willing to set you up a repair.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Supermetaldave about to go into overdrive
Not sure what he's going to go overdrive on. lol

It does make sense though, if WSJ's rumors about the new screen are true. Switch V2 is meant to replace OG Switch, and switch lite is just catering to the handheld portion.

And releasing two more switch models (or one) as early as March 2020, or late 2020 (increase the chances of a 7nm chip) for a Switch Pro is somewhat plausible. If Switch Pro hybrid gets a 7nm, then a 1 TFLOP Switch in docked mode should not be a problem at all and it could have the higher quality screen and maybe be priced at $350). Only thing really counting against using a 7nm chip by the end of next year is that nintendo isn't known to buy the latest technology.

As for the second model... It could be the true home console niche. $300 to play xbone/ps4 quality games with no screens. Doesn't have to worry about a battery and use a tx1 12nm with some investment in cooling. Or they could go above and get a turing and make it on the level of PS4 Pro/Xbone X and price it at $400

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
If I order this from Amazon, what guarantee do I have that the red box will be what arrives to my country?

I have no way seeing the actual physical item I'm ordering until it ships here after multiple days.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
If I order this from Amazon, what guarantee do I have that the red box will be what arrives to my country?

I have no way seeing the actual physical item I'm ordering until it ships here after multiple days.

If I were you I'd wait a bit before ordering from amazon. From my understanding you have no guarantee and it makes sense amazon would ship out old stock first.

Not sure what he's going to go overdrive on. lol

It does make sense though, if WSJ's rumors about the new screen are true. Switch V2 is meant to replace OG Switch, and switch lite is just catering to the handheld portion.

And releasing two more switch models (or one) as early as March 2020, or late 2020 (increase the chances of a 7nm chip) for a Switch Pro is somewhat plausible. If Switch Pro hybrid gets a 7nm, then a 1 TFLOP Switch in docked mode should not be a problem at all and it could have the higher quality screen and maybe be priced at $350). Only thing really counting against using a 7nm chip by the end of next year is that nintendo isn't known to buy the latest technology.

As for the second model... It could be the true home console niche. $300 to play xbone/ps4 quality games with no screens. Doesn't have to worry about a battery and use a tx1 12nm with some investment in cooling. Or they could go above and get a turing and make it on the level of PS4 Pro/Xbone X and price it at $400

Is a Switch 2/Pro rumored to come out next year? Because if so I might keep my current Switch instead of trading it in 🤔.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interested in this new version due to significant battery upgrade, is there any signs on the box that it's the new version? i haven't been following the news.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Thanks! This will be my 3rd Switch, that battery upgrade is so badly needed especially after so many interrupted FE sessions lol
But wouldn't a power bank be a cheaper option?
If I were you I'd wait a bit before ordering from amazon. From my understanding you have no guarantee and it makes sense amazon would ship out old stock first.
I guess so. I'm only interested in it as a possible gift and I'm sure that those recipients would be just as happy with the old revision, but if I possibly buy another Switch, might as well get the new one.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You almost sound like the target audience for Switch Lite, but I assume it's inferior battery (compared to the new model) and inability to dock are factors here.
Battery is the biggest problem, I don't care about dock since I play my Switch 99% as handheld (Switch games doesn't look good on my oled tv). Lite doesn't have much to offer outside of being cheaper

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be still waiting for the inevitable Switch Pro or whatever.
All these over clocked videos from DF made me excited on what the current Switch is capable of. Making use of a tech to the most is more interesting than just jumping to cutting edge.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Is a Switch 2/Pro rumored to come out next year? Because if so I might keep my current Switch instead of trading it in 🤔.
This and the Switch Lite fulfill all of the current credible rumors we have, at least in terms of imminent hardware releases. There was a mention of work on a successor from Nikkei, but it didn't sound particularly close.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Spawnwave confirmed Switch V2 isn't using the Igizo screen

So perhaps we are getting more switch models on the way according to rumors from Wall Street Journal? It could be the Switch Pro.. Likely next year. I really doubt the Switch lite will use the screen.
Spawn Wave didn't confirm anything. He confirmed the screen is made by Innolux, which is a subsidiary of Foxconn like Sharp has been since 2016, and shares the technology pipeline with Sharp, including (Naturally) the IGZO technology.

The only way to tell whether the new screens are IGZO panels is by analyzing them in depth, because Innolux makes IGZO panels and Spawn Wave clearly didn't know.

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
Just swapped my old Switch with joycon drift for the new one. Looking forward to setting it up tonight and testing the battery.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
So wait Spawnwave said the Tegra X1 is still 20nm for the new model and there is no LPDDR4x?
What no.

Spawn Wave didn't confirm anything. He confirmed the screen is made by Innolux, which is a subsidiary of Foxconn like Sharp has been since 2016, and shares the technology pipeline with Sharp, including (Naturally) the IGZO technology.

The only way to tell whether the new screens are IGZO panels is by analyzing them in depth, because Innolux makes IGZO panels and Spawn Wave clearly didn't know.
You're just repeating what I said dude. I made a typo with the "IGZO"

Status
Not open for further replies.