• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
This isn't particularly groundbreaking, as many have demonstrated its effectiveness over the years.

The issue that arises is who's responsibility is it to do this? Often it seems people who are directly threatened by bigoted views are asked to carry this weight while those unaffected aren't concerned enough to try.

May 24, 2019
This isn't particularly groundbreaking, as many have demonstrated its effectiveness over the years.

The issue that arises is who's responsibility is it to do this? Often it seems people who are directly threatened by bigoted views are asked to carry this weight while those unaffected aren't concerned enough to try.

Unfortunately there's next to no impetus for a bigot to change their views and consider the other on their own.

OP
OP
marmalade

marmalade

Nov 28, 2018
This also reminds me of the MAGA person Sarah Silverman talked to and became a Warren supporter.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Yes, I, the queer-person-of-color should listen to a MAGAT vent about how I and everyone that looks like me is causing the fall of western civilization. This is some privileged shit.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so i link this to all the allies that decided to cut off their toxic friends and relatives and tell them to DIY right? right?

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Yes, I, the queer-person-of-color should listen to a MAGAT vent about how I and everyone that looks like me is causing the fall of western civilization. This is some privileged shit.

You don't have to engage if you don't want but it works somewhat . -shrugs-

You could always try to rally some white liberals to try this in your stead if you prefer.

HipsterMorty

alt account
Banned
Jan 25, 2020
It really sucks that apparently bigots just want to feel understood. Their identities are so fragile.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
We have to go door to door and do fucking therapy to force these jackasses to have empathy for others? We're so fucked.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
So we need to devote hours of our time to "convert" a very small % of bigots when they should just have a brain?

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
How about bigots spend hours of their time listening to the stories of the people that they've hurt?

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
I think more compassion and empathy is needed in general. It's really hard to give in such a polarized society, especially when some people don't deserve it... but it's always more about personal values than how the other people acted.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This presumes that such people are worth saving. I posit that they are not.

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like everyone needs more therapy.

Ding ding. People are human with human mental needs. They are not rational, they don't follow any idealistic model, they are flawed. The way that gets projected varies. You know why anyone hangs out with bigots? Acceptance. At the same time others are bound by the same limitations. Being the bucket for someone else requires sanity to spare, if you don't have it then you can't be expected to give it.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like everyone needs more therapy.

I wonder if this could be a new kind of job. Like a traveling therapist who listens to people and nudges them in the right direction.

Although I'm immediately thinking about how it gets twisted a few decades down the line and ends up becoming some kind of propaganda vehicle.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I wonder if this could be a new kind of job. Like a traveling therapist who listens to people and nudges them in the right direction.

Although I'm immediately thinking about how it gets twisted a few decades down the line and ends up becoming some kind of propaganda vehicle.
Sounds like a cool idea for a TV show.

meph

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
The thing is that they drag all of us down with them.

We can't ignore them. In a vacuum, we can, but they fuck over everyone else.

Nope. Extremist sections have always persisted. You win by outnumbering them eventually through educating children and younger generations. But the already-deeply entrenched are not worth the time or effort to convert when the conversion ratio is pathetic relative to the resources necessary to move them over. Let them die of opiates.

Icolin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midgar

yeah just respectfully tell the race science loving stefan molyneux subscribers that racism isn't very not cool, it'll solve everything. let's try and treat ghouls who wank to non-white & non-heterosexual genocide with some empathy

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Makes sense. I doubt anyone is really going to learn if they're ignored since they can easily find another like-minded person online.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I've tried this whole bit and it cannot be stressed how tiring and stressful it is. I know folk that will radicalize in retaliation to any sort of judgement or callout, but if unprovoked will still slowly radicalize themselves anyway. I also know folk that take years to slowly pull along the line, only to squirm into undoing it if they stumble on a shortcut.

Lots of these sorts of people just want to be understood and know someone is listening, sure. But lots of others ultimately want to be told that everything they think is right, and will do whatever they can to facilitate it.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
This is why the term "emotional labor" exists. People need to be paid to do this cause I sure as shit ain't doing it for free.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is part of what being a true ally entails: leveraging your privilege to sway people when possible.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Y'know, a good way to keep people from spewing virulent bigotry is to demonstrate that it can be hazardous to their health. Just saying.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
"Hey you, Decent Human Being! To help solve the societal issues plaguing the world all you have to do is listen to, find common ground with, appease, be gracious towards, roll with the punches thrown by, and just be all around accepting of the vile hatred thrown your way by the people who despise your very existence.

Just do that and they might eventually one day maybe consider you 'alright'! "

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
It really sucks that apparently bigots just want to feel understood. Their identities are so fragile.
This is a basic rule that applies to everyone, really. Once you understand that, you can understand the more abstract things people like bigots want, and how they might have been led astray by someone or some idea.

Often, it's as simple as self-esteem or belonging. Everyone needs these things.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps listening and the showing them that , we, as lgbt people, don't bite (unless you're into that) and are just regular folks too, works.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
This is similar to what I do as a crisis counsellor in some ways. I talk to people who engage in intimate partner violence, or abusive behaviour as it may be more commonly called. We work from similar research (and experience) that shows that non judgemental engagement is more effective in the long term in altering behaviour. At my organization we have groups that people (most often men) can attend and talk about their experience as abusers without judgement on the part of the facilitators. It may seem counter intuitive, or even offensive to some, to engage with harmful people in this way but it can and does work in changing behaviour. I tend to think of it as a kind of positive manipulation, where you're being very conscious and aware of what you say and how you say it in order to change someones behaviour - except in an opposite sense from malicious manipulation you're not doing it to control someone and exploit them.

The caveat being that if the people we work with act in a way that is openly harmful, we can and will say that we won't work with them if at the time we're talking they don't cease certain language (like say misogynistic language). I can recall times where I've had to say things like 'I understand you're angry, but if you can't stop talking about x that way then we're going to have to stop talking at this time'. In a sense, this lets them know that it's on them to engage in a healthier way.

Though I wouldn't say that people have to do this or that it is the only path that people should take. I can totally understand not wanting to and not feeling like one should have to engage with a bigot. The other thing is, in my work the people who come to us are openly vulnerable and this is and can be different than just encountering a bigot or the like out in the world where they may not be open at all.

Last edited:

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Nope. Extremist sections have always persisted. You win by outnumbering them eventually through educating children and younger generations. But the already-deeply entrenched are not worth the time or effort to convert when the conversion ratio is pathetic relative to the resources necessary to move them over. Let them die of opiates.

Oh, the deeply entrenched for sure. I was thinking more about the mostly ignorant rather than the mostly malicious if that makes sense

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
When you're thinking that talking to a Nazi is helping your cause, keep in mind the Nazi is talking to you because he thinks it's helping his cause.