• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
They don't want to do the work. They don't want to have the awkward family dinners. They don't want to have to challenge family members. They don't want to have to challenge their friends. It's peak white fragility, breh. They out here acting like the solution the whole time was for us just to be nice to racists because then they don't have to acknowledge it's them and their friends and family that's the problem.

Racists keep being racists because white people keep showing them they'll look just look the other way and ignore it when it's happening.
No one wants to address Grandgrand sending an Obama is a monkey email for the 7th time. Nip that shit in the bud and watch change happen

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to be preachy—I just genuinely believe it could be a helpful avenue for a lot of us miserable, angry, depressed people on Era (myself included), and I rarely see it discussed here as a legitimate path toward improving mental health or approaching the problems of the world at large.
The best path I've found towards becoming happier is simply doing things that make me happy in the company of productive and positive people. Dropping negative groups and interactions and finding ways to channel my interests versus being angry, even if it is justified.

This is all despite the fact that I knowingly exist surrounded by white supremacy.

Happiness can be found in imperfect environments, and it should not have to be at the cost of trying to improve people who would rather have nothing to do with you, or secretly deep down, would be happy if you were to die.

Fuck that. I'm a progressive. I believe in living my life how I want according to my means, so that's what I'm going to do. I don't need the approval of white people. That is what I would suggest my black and brown brothers and sisters do: take pride and ownership over your passions and your culture. Discover things about yourself and your culture that light a fire. Uplift and encourage the people you care about. Live how you wish the world could be by default.

I'm 30. I've got, what, another 15-20 before my body starts breaking down or I become too old to be a nerd? I've got hair styles to explore, martial arts fights to have, conventions to attend, and art to make. Why would I waste any of that precious time on Trumpers of all people?

You want us to have positive life outcomes? Encourage us to explore and share ourselves in healthy ways without centering the conversation on straight white men.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
The best path I've found towards becoming happier is simply doing things that make me happy in the company of productive and positive people. Dropping negative groups and interactions and finding ways to channel my interests versus being angry, even if it is justified.

This is all despite the fact that I knowingly exist surrounded by white supremacy.

Happiness can be found in imperfect environments, and it should not have to be at the cost of trying to improve people who would rather have nothing to do with you, or secretly deep down, would be happy if you were to die.

Fuck that. I'm a progressive. I believe in living my life how I want according to my means, so that's what I'm going to do. I don't need the approval of white people. That is what I would suggest my black and brown brothers and sisters do: take pride and ownership over your passions and your culture. Discover things about yourself and your culture that light a fire. Uplift and encourage the people you care about. Live how you wish the world could be by default.

I'm 30. I've got, what, another 15-20 before my body starts breaking down or I become too old to be a nerd? I've got hair styles to explore, martial arts fights to have, conventions to attend, and art to make. Why would I waste any of that precious time on Trumpers of all people?

You want us to have positive life outcomes? Encourage us to explore and share ourselves in healthy ways without centering the conversation on straight white men.
Selfcare has never been more important. Too many things out there ready to forcefeed you negativitiy, you got to find your own peace and hold on to it for dear life. And you are never too old to be a nerd

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the dumbest shit about all of this is everyone preaching that "it works"

If it did, then why are we in this mess in 2020?

Why do you have millions supporting a bigot criminal who thinks he's above the rule of law....

With such a vigor simply based of his whiteness

200+ years with no results. Like people haven't tried this route ever in the past.

So it's just extra dumb as fuck to see all these people in the thread beating a dead horse as if it's the answer now in modern times.
They're seeing examples of it working on an individual level, but not realizing we've been trying this shit all our lives and if it was going to work it would be working...

The problem in my experience at least, is that it's the minorities who have each others backs, and others telling minorities they're not doing well enough while simultaneously not actually helping.

I have had so much experience talking with bigots over the last few years, and even if you approach with the most understanding possible, so many of them are so primed against being educated about their ignorance that walls immediately go up and it becomes impossible to break through.

So many bigots believe they're being attacked now, that's he narrative. Their "opinions" are being oppressed and their "free speech" is being silence. Those calling for tolerance are the "real intolerant". To them they're victims in a culture war, they're in a military grade bunker underneath a mountain.

Maybe instated of telling minorities to do better, these people should lead the charge and help create us some space we can take a fucking breath in. Maybe then we've be more equipped to give this a go... coming from the actual victims it's been framed as us trying to oppress people, hearing it from other non-minority folk they won't have that to fall back on.

Oct 25, 2017

I completely understand this perspective! I only centered my posts around the topic of bigotry because—well—that's what this thread is about. I didn't at all mean to imply that there's some sort of obligation to intentionally seek out these terrible human beings and attempt to engage them. I was thinking of it more in terms of if you find yourself in that type of situation, or if you are the type of person who feels compelled to take a more active role in combatting this issue, then perhaps Buddhist thought is a tool to consider.

But I completely agree you should live your life how you want and try to find happiness and inner-peace wherever you can. There are plenty of other people you can positively influence in life who aren't horrible, and that's just as valuable. Hell, even if you never influence anyone at all (which is rather impossible of course, unless you live on a deserted island), it's still extremely worthwhile to focus on shedding your own pain in order to lead a more fulfilling existence.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The question has never been about how people can be changed but how they can be changed at scale. No one has the time or patience to sit down with every bigoted person for the hours and hours needed to get results. It's simply not feasible. We have to come up with something better if we are to ever seriously address bigotry.

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
as a white male bodied person, i have basically spent my entire adult life converting other white people to be less terrible including my own family and the results have generally been good? i got my mom to vote for obama after thinking he was a "secret muslim" at first, and generally got a lot of other bigoted relatives on high alert whenever they interact with me lol

it's definitely possible to get people to be more open minded even when they are hardcore extremists but its a lot of time and effort that requires being extremely unemotional in the face of potentially really upsetting people and its generally understandable if someone does not want to actually commit to doing that imo especially if they are a minority of some sort - it is not anyone's responsibility to make other people less terrible but if you have the ability to do so its just kind of a why not type thing imo

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
it's a pretty effective way to make someone reconsider their beliefs. its worked for me loads with convincing people in rethinking their bigoted beliefs. You have to do behavior change constantly in health care, so I just adopted that in my everyday life.

I get that a lot of people here will think it's a waste of time and not worth it, but I think the amount of propaganda and brain washing that can occur to get these people to certain points, id rather try and see if I can get them to be on our side. I can completely see why other people may not want to though. It can be quite exhausting
Agreed. There are definitely people out there that are too far gone for this kind of help, but there are people way more people that aren't. In high school I was more to the right in regards to the beliefs that I held compared to today, so much so that when I registered to vote I registered Republican. A lot of that was down to what I was exposed to growing up. Politics weren't really discussed in the house, in the name of keeping the peace (mom is a Dem, dad is a Rep), but my dad would take me to school in the mornings before I learned how to drive, and his morning radio of choice was a local conservative talk station. On top of that, the friends that I hung out with both in and outside of school weren't exactly the most open-minded individuals (honestly, they still aren't judging by their behavior on social media, but I don't talk to any of them anymore). What ended up shaking me was my girlfriend, who I met after I high school. Her upbringing was vastly different than mine, to the point where she was able to provide me with a lot of perspective on things that I was just flat-out ignorant of. If I said something out of that ignorance, she didn't dump me or shout me down, she would explain to me why what I thought was problematic/hurtful, which caused me to change my outlook on said subject. As a result, I am a much different person than I was 10+ years ago.

That said, I do understand that I was probably one of the easier cases, and that doing so requires a ton of emotional labor that not everyone is willing or able to provide. Over the course of our relationship my girlfriend has probably spent days explaining these kinds of topics to me, and even then I'm not exactly a combative person when my beliefs are challenged, so I was probably more receptive than someone else might be. I totally get why others may completely reject such a notion that just talking well help due to sheer amount of effort it requires to do this for just a single person, and not even with a guarantee that it will work or stick for that long. The people I'm with on a daily basis these days are much more to the left, but on occasion an off-color comment gets made. I usually try to take what I've learned and share it with others in those instances, in hopes that they too see why what was said can be hurtful.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
And you are never too old to be a nerd
Normal people are freaked out by fursuiters in their 20s.

Fursuiters are freaked out by fursuiters in their 50s. 👀

Like, "Go home to your family."

Maybe instated of telling minorities to do better, these people should lead the charge and help create us some space we can take a fucking breath in.
Exactly. We've been in a collective fight against the attitudes and entitlement that inspire Trumpism for centuries.

We've done our part with grace. It's been past time for straight white allies to step up.

I completely understand this perspective! I only centered my posts around the topic of bigotry because—well—that's what this thread is about. I didn't at all mean to imply that there's some sort of obligation to intentionally seek out these terrible human beings and attempt to engage them. I was thinking of it more in terms of if you find yourself in that type of situation, or if you are the type of person who feels compelled to take a more active role in combatting this issue, then perhaps Buddhist thought is a tool to consider.

But I completely agree you should live your life how you want and try to find happiness and inner-peace wherever you can. There are plenty of other people you can positively influence in life who aren't horrible, and that's just as valuable. Hell, even if you never influence anyone at all (which is rather impossible of course, unless you live on a deserted island), it's still extremely worthwhile to focus on shedding your own pain in order to lead a more fulfilling existence.
Fair dues to all of that. I understand you and have no ill will towards you. I'm just ranting and spitballing myself.

I'm of the mind though that these problems are not going to be fixed in the lifetime of anyone currently reading this. While we should fight bigotry within our means, burning yourself leads to the kind of ironic pitifulness, defeatism, and cynicism I see from a lot of ERA folks that I think is just as- if not more so- useless than the sentiment of minorities here that the findings in the study are not inherently ours to take forward. And it's very easy to burn yourself confronting bigots in any fashion. Instead, I think positivity attracts positivity, and when minorities are allowed and encouraged to explore ourselves and our cultures, we can flourish in spite of the perpetual nature of oppression surrounding us.

Hell, if we're happier we might stop being so "pathetic" and be more willing to engage in conversation. 😝

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
This guy knows it.

It's why people getting in the face of Trump supporters on an individual level is so fucking stupid.
I swear people think daryl davis is the exodia card
"You don't tell Steve Jobs he ain't successful. He don't have no college degree. Bill Gates ain't got no college degree," Rose replies. "Neither does Monica Lewinsky," says Davis. "OK, shit, and what?" Rose says. "She's giving blowjobs in the White House and doing whatever she was doing…" "…Well, maybe you could give Obama a blowjob and make a lot of money, too," interrupts Davis.

With that, the two young men call Davis "disrespectful" and leave. At that point, Black Lives Matter community organizer JC Faulk enters, and berates Davis for the "reprehensible" way he treated the activists.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This guy knows it.

It's why people getting in the face of Trump supporters on an individual level is so fucking stupid.

AHHHHHH

The dude went and bailed out a violent white supremacist he had supposedly saved years earlier from a Charlottesville prison, after said "saved" got arrested for firing a gun during the Charlottesville white supremacist riot

He called said white supremacist his friend

This guy knows shit

He's more critical of BLM than white Supremacists

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Does it though?

3 months is hardly it works

Edit: Oh oops missed you pointing out the absurdity of Perhaps . We're on the same wave length I think
I believe it was "at least three months" which just means the follow up study was three months later and they were still showing the results. Hopefully it actually lasts much longer.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
AHHHHHH

The dude went and bailed out a violent white supremacist he had supposedly saved years earlier from a Charlottesville prison, after said "saved" got arrested for firing a gun during the Charlottesville white supremacist riot

He called said white supremacist his friend

This guy knows shit

He's more critical of BLM than white Supremacists
They guy he bailed out

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Take a shot everytime someone has to explain that Darryl Davis ain't shit.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Nov 14, 2017
I'm deeply suspicious of these claims. There is plenty of evidence to show that one on one interventions can lead to people changing their expressed views, but little to show that it leads to real lasting change. Even the results in this study seem week. For their third experiment, they don't have a significant result at one week or one month, but get a small signal if they pool both results.

Even in the first experiment, they only show a lasting effect by using a 'pooled estimate'. I've not really dug into the numbers, bu just skimming the results it doesn't seem to be saying anything I haven't heard before.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It probably does work. That said: Just because it does doesn't mean it's PoC and queer people that have to do that work. Uh-uh. This is literally what being an ally means. Go talk to your homophobic ass friend and help them dismantle their bullshit, straight dudes.

I'm not comfortable with the general idea pushed that "it won't get any worse if we don't do anything" because to me that's basically the same argument as "Trump and Hilary are the same thing, things won't get worse if I don't vote". We've clearly seen that not to be the case. At some point SOMEONE should probably do something. And if the left is going to be all pacifist about it, it's going to have to involve discussion with people who hold reprehensible views. But I absolutely do not think the people who are getting all of the hate should be the ones to do it all the fucking time. Or even most.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
We are all oppressed by the rich upper class. To fight and resist them we need to convert as many workers to our side as possible even those with bigoted views. Anyone striving for progress should do their part.

The appeal to our common humanity is the strongest force there is.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
WHy don't we ever have studies on the victims? Why does everything have to be framed around the bigoty?

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We are all oppressed by the rich upper class. To fight and resist them we need to convert as many workers to our side as possible even those with bigoted views. Anyone striving for progress should do their part.

I'm not wasting time trying to appeal to the humanity of people that don't consider me human.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not a shocker, but what happens when these people go back to their regular habitats and circles. The media they're around will still keep on telling them the same things. Eventually, the programming will probably return.

I'm a lot more militant and angry about it nowadays, not extending the olive branch very far. It takes so much of a toll on me to sit there and have to argue with people about the value of human life. I'm just too emotionally vested to stomach it.

My approach has more turned into "if the dog can't behave, put it in the dog cage, or euthanize it". Not literally of course, but I will not spend my time trying to deprogram people who are always acting in bad faith.

I guess though, that this is mostly when it comes to people who are always online. Canvassing in the rust belt would probably be easier.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I swear people think daryl davis is the exodia card
giphy.gif

collige

Oct 31, 2017
That twitter thread.

Perhaps.

This is true, but once again I have to point out that EMOTIONAL LABOR IS LABOR. People are mad because they're being asked to take on an extremely taxing second job for free in exchange for the possibility on making someone less bigoted for some amount of time.

Take a shot everytime someone has to explain that Darryl Davis ain't shit.
This is even more dangerous than the My Immortal drinking game

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I'm concerned, this shit only works temporarily and one-on-one because most of these people are terrified of real confrontation when they don't have a group behind them.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Does it though?

3 months is hardly it works

Edit: Oh oops missed you pointing out the absurdity of Perhaps . We're on the same wave length I think
That will teach me laconism and shit punctuation will only get me so far. Yeah, I really dislike that tweet in how dismissive it is, his use of "perhaps" encapsulating it all.

This is true, but once again I have to point out that EMOTIONAL LABOR IS LABOR. People are mad because they're being asked to take on an extremely taxing second job for free in exchange for the possibility on making someone less bigoted for some amount of time.

We're on the same page. If these guys absolutely believe the only remedy to such a great social ailment is a particular kind of counseling and coddling, the least they could do is start recognizing it's a full time job and paying fucking money for it, in recognition of the effort and exhaustion this would bring. As long as these people frame it as a hobby minorities should take, while downplaying the shift of responsibility they're arguing for, they're just spouting patronizing platitudes with no real world applications.
TLDR: put your money where your mouth is or shut the fuck up.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think we already knew that people lose their bigotry the more they are exposed with humanity and dignity to the issues they are prejudiced against.

But I also don't think any individual owes a bigot their patience and effort. That's not all on you to teach someone they're being a bigot and y'all them through the issues, especially if they're standing against you in bad faith.

If you have the energy, go for it. If not, save yourself today and maybe someday things align for you to teach them.

Oct 25, 2017

Tell us stories of the progress you've made on this front.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
It's useful information, and of course people are free to follow its recommendations or ignore them. I understand that many people are not in a position to want to talk to bigots, and that's totally fine. I don't blame them.

I think this research is important because a lot of people have been wondering where all this craziness came from and why it's grown so fast, so it's definitely an issue that requires study. Racist groups are actively recruiting people, and there needs to be research to try to figure out what to do about it.

At the very least, this research may help those who are seeing a friend or family member start to slide into that pit and are wondering what to do about it.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
The philosophy behind engaging with bigots as a means to influence and shape their worldviews is not mutually exclusive with defending the rights of minorities and those persecuted by bigotry, nor those persecuted from defending themselves and their wellbeing from bigotry. It's not binary, it's not this-or-that, and the onus of responsibility and action and method of engagement is complicated and multifaceted like all things human.

Studies have shown time and time again that addressing many of the root causes that lead to bigoted worldviews (and easy indoctrination into bigotry) almost assuredly requires the erosion of classism and divisiveness. Education and discourse, particularly exposure to groups that would otherwise be persecuted, is essential in shaping a person's worldview and understanding of culture. Until the root causes that lead people down these paths, in all their nuances and phases, is addressed head-on it'll never, ever, forever go away. As long as social classism and its imbalances drive people see division, or a necessity for division, and a value in targetting minority groups as the cause of problems, we're going to have bigotry in all its repugnant, volatile forms.

It's a hard conversation to have and it's a hard problem to address because it's emotionally vacant or without risk. And it doesn't alleviate those who are victims or potential victims of the persecutions perpetrated by bigotry. Hence why, and I'll repeat this until people actually fucking understand it, what the studies suggest also does not rob people of the necessity to protect themselves and their own freedoms. This is precisely what makes it challenging, and where that conversation on the onus of social responsibility gets heated.

But no matter how persecuted you might feel or actually be, no matter how vulnerable your identity is in whatever society you're a part of, and no matter how wholly, totally valid you are in feeling both persecuted and vulnerable because you actually are, the methodology of confronting all bigotry with screaming and violence will not get rid of it. It won't. It doesn't. There's no evidence in all of human history of this ever working, ever. In any form. You can straight up kill the people perpetuating it and the ideological poison can still fester, and the paths that lead people towards bigotry be just as set in stone as they ever were.

And none of what I'm saying, and I really must repeat this point again and again, is to dismiss direct action against bigotry particularly from those who are persecuted. I'm a white straight male in a Western developed country, so I sure as shit don't have much to worry about in the scope of bigoted persecution. But if we want to, as a society and as a people, rip out bigotry from the roots and really make long lasting changes to people, society, what we believe and how we get there, the struggle, unfortunately, is going to involve a lot of direct, complicated, emotionally challenging conversations and confrontations.

But again, it's not all mutually exclusive. There are also methods that can be implemented to additionally help with the immediate influx of bigoted ideologies. Deplatforming is one of them, something of which the media is fucking abhorrent at, choosing to give bigoted perspectives a seemingly valid perspective to argue instead of outright challenging them. This more aggressive approach, closing off pathways that allow radicalisation and bigotry to fester, are also absolutely important (and can be applied to a lot of branches of predatory indoctrination, like the military preying on poorer communities). But in the long run actually combating bigotry is going to require a lot more work, too.

*claps* Well said.

Ortix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Class reductionism 1.01