• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
No, I won't date trans, fats, ugly people. What's the peoblem?
transfat.jpg

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising. Not only is there an issue with sexual compatibility, but dating a trans person is just difficult. I dated a trans woman for a year, and she was an awesome person but that relationship was stressful due to the baggage she had to carry from the abuse she experienced in her life. There was a night I had to physically restrain her from killing herself. There's no way I could ever enter a relationship like that again. Obviously not all trans people are in that position, but I understand it's a hurdle when many people are just looking for something carefree.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what the percentage would be if it was oral and she was attractive and there was an asterisk that said "no one will ever know"

OP
OP
Robin

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
The study really should have taken that into consideration. I don't think it's fair to call out people in this thread for not directly addressing post-op individuals when the study in the OP didn't bother either.

It's totally fair to call out people making broad assumptions about an entire demographic.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
mhmm.

let me preface that I'm a straight male. I've jumped into the online dating scene recently and seen a couple of cute trans women that I wanted to reach out to. Something that I don't ever see in their profiles is whether or not they are post op or pre op.. and yeah, dating a human with a penis isn't really in the books for me.

if they don't mention it, is there a way to bring this up without coming off as a creep? I feel like I only have 2 options.. 1) Assume it's pre op and pass on the potential date or 2) Strike up conversation and eventually get down to the question.

anyone have any advice/experience with this kind of situation? Additionally, if you're a trans person is there a reason that you would leave that information out? I feel like I might be missing out on potential mates because I'm too afraid to ask the question. :c

Go on a date, get to know her, and she'll probably mention it in the course of conversation. In my experience most trans people will disclose pretty up front on their own if they've not had surgeries yet so there's no awkwardness later.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure there are people who personally don't find specific genitalia attractive.

But there is clearly a large group of people, even in this thread, who are literally just transphobic and feel completely fine being so.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm suggesting that maybe people should look at that fucking absurd percentage and actually stop for a moment to consider that you don't get that high of a number without immense amounts of prejudice and ignorance, instead of once agaín co-opting a trans thread and turning it into a thread about themselves as cis straight men, and how offended they are when confronted by the fact that they don't really think trans women are women.

This is a good point.
I imagine there are very few characteristics about a person that results in less than 2% of straight women and less than 3.5% of straight men being attracted to them.

There is unquestionably a huge amount of ignorance regarding transgender people.

Jan 29, 2018
That doesn't explain the situation of what happens when a person in a relationship can't have kids.

If the entire relationship was precipitated on having kids, and apparently everyone in this thread is hung up on their DNA being splattered around, then logically they would have serious hangups down the road if one party had difficulty in fertility.

A cis woman finding out she cant have kids is vastly different than a trans woman not being able to have kids. My best friend and his wife recently found out she cant have kids and its been a huge emotional blow to both of them, shes suffered the most and his been her pillar of support though out the who process. Adoption is now on the table for them. Unless you have that mindset you are not going to consider it until you are put in that situation.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
The study really should have taken that into consideration. I don't think it's fair to call out people in this thread for not directly addressing post-op individuals when the study in the OP didn't bother either.

Lol

Nah. People are capable of caveating here. They haven't. Shit we've had people outright say in the bedroom post op trans women are still men to them and get praise for articulating it.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
mhmm.

let me preface that I'm a straight male. I've jumped into the online dating scene recently and seen a couple of cute trans women that I wanted to reach out to. Something that I don't ever see in their profiles is whether or not they are post op or pre op.. and yeah, dating a human with a penis isn't really in the books for me.

if they don't mention it, is there a way to bring this up without coming off as a creep? I feel like I only have 2 options.. 1) Assume it's pre op and pass on the potential date or 2) Strike up conversation and eventually get down to the question.

anyone have any advice/experience with this kind of situation? Additionally, if you're a trans person is there a reason that you would leave that information out? I feel like I might be missing out on potential mates because I'm too afraid to ask the question. :c

I don't want to speak for trans women, but I would assume if this is how you're gonna approach it, it's better to stay away?

I would advise against suddenly asking a stranger about their genitals. And similarly, I would assume they'd leave it out of their profiles cause they don't want to openly talk about their genitals on a dating profile.

EDIT: The suggestion that you go on a date with them is maybe better, but it would probably also not be a great feeling to watch you react to an answer you didn't want, y'know.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
It's a natural by-product of being raised in an environment that equates biological sex markers with gender. People's preferences are so intertwined with bullshit because are taught that only men have penises.

At the end of the day that is how you feel and nobody can force you to change. But it's worth recognising that it's more complicated than an innate dislike of dicks.

Are you implying that heterosexuality is a social construct here?

I find the implication that I am somehow a bigot because I don't want to have sex with someone possessing a penis to be both incredible and hilarious.

I know there's a high amount of active LGBT posters on Resetera (myself one of them), and the study not mentioning a difference between post and pre op is gonna naturaly lead to peopel arguing over different points entirely...
...But that this thread has legitimatly reached the point were people are arguing that straight people don't actually exist is something else altogether.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't equate sexual preference to social acceptance. I have absolutely nothing against transpeople; I want them to have every major freedom & right a person can have. However, for my own personal sexual preference, I wouldn't want to date someone who was.

At a certain point, an individual's persons sexual preference is theirs to do with as they please while also not being labelled a transphobe or what-have-you.

This is right on point. You can't take away the agency of people to choose who they date.

For me personally, dating a trans woman doesn't fit my self-image or idea of attraction. And judging by this study, the overwhelmingly number of cis people feel the same way, and that's ok. I know I support the full civil rights of trans people regardless, and I believe a growing number of Americans do now as well.

Deleted member 3853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The "I want kids" argument is always bullshit because CIS women can easily not be able to have kids for multitude of reasons, so do you just dump them the moment fertility is out the window?

Difference between knowing someone can't have children from day 1 versus you both finding out years later. Someone might decide their partner is more important than potential children by that point.

Not that anybody needs a reason to not date someone.

MCN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I would totally date a trans woman, but unless she's has surgery there won't be any hanky-panky because I am simply not into penises, except for a very abusive relationship with my own.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Except you're making the assumption that this is about conveniently handwaving away behaviour when it's not. People have preferences, and hell, we're already seeing comments from people ITT that said they broke up with their SOs or wouldn't date trans people because of fertility concerns and/or lack of sexual attraction. Are we gonna say that their logic behind dating is BS even though they have the right and freedom to their sexuality?
Did you give up on insisting that wanting to procreate (but only 2 or 3 times!) is in our biological makeup? It being a preference isn't really relevant to your original point.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
Not surprising. Not only is there an issue with sexual compatibility, but dating a trans person is just difficult. I dated a trans woman for a year, and she was an awesome person but that relationship was stressful due to the baggage she had to carry from the abuse she experienced in her life. There was a night I had to physically restrain her from killing herself. There's no way I could ever enter a relationship like that again. Obviously not all trans people are in that position, but I understand it's a hurdle when many people are just looking for something carefree.

To be fair that's not a trans trait. I've got fuck tons of baggage and I'm cis. And I've met trans people who suffered little to no abuse and were handling life way better than me

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I guess the gist of it is that you generally don't know if the trans person you're meeting is pre or post-op (kinda important for sexy time). And since as a cis, you generally don't know how you can ask THAT question without being an ass, you take "no risk" and pass on.

At least, that's my take on it.

Mush

Nov 1, 2017
It's a natural by-product of being raised in an environment that equates biological sex markers with gender. People's preferences are so intertwined with bullshit because are taught that only men have penises.

At the end of the day that is how you feel and nobody can force you to change. But it's worth recognising that it's more complicated than an innate dislike of dicks.
But I want to change this mindset, and that's where the difference is. I'm aware that this way of thinking is absolutely 100% fucking wrong, and doesn't align with my personal beliefs that everyone should be afforded equal rights. Truth be told, I don't know how, and that's perhaps the scariest part of all for me.

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Difference between knowing someone can't have children from day 1 versus you both finding out years later. Someone might decide their partner is more important than potential children by that point.

Not that anybody needs a reason to not date someone.

I'm picturing a first a second date where a women or guy talks about how they can't have kids/have fertility issues

"Hahahaha CYA LOSSA!"

I always love the idea of putting value on someone if their reproductive organs are 100% functional.

Oct 25, 2017
I remember a thread on GAF from like 10-11 years ago where people considered it acceptable to beat up a trans person if you had sex with them and they only disclosed that they were trans after the fact. I think we've made progress since then (I doubt many would consider that socially acceptable now) but we've still got quite a long way to go.

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh.

I learned something valuable from this thread. I learned that I'm a legit asshole.

What's worse? I don't know how I'm going to change.

Feels bad.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I remember a thread on GAF from like 10-11 years ago where people considered it acceptable to beat up a trans person if you had sex with them and they only disclosed that they were trans after the fact. I think we've made progress since then (I doubt many would consider that socially acceptable now) but we've still got quite a long way to go.

I wouldn't take that bet

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm suggesting that maybe people should look at that fucking absurd percentage and actually stop for a moment to consider that you don't get that high of a number without immense amounts of prejudice and ignorance, instead of once agaín co-opting a trans thread and turning it into a thread about themselves as cis straight men, and how offended they are when confronted by the fact that they don't really think trans women are women.

Do you think it's fair when folks respond to posts suggesting every person who decides not to have a relationship with or have sex with a trans person is a bigot?

Deleted member 8561

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A cis woman finding out she cant have kids is vastly different than a trans woman not being able to have kids. My best friend and his wife recently found out she cant have kids and its been a huge emotional blow to both of them, shes suffered the most and his been her pillar of support though out the who process. Adoption is now on the table for them. Unless you have that mindset you are not going to consider it until you are put in that situation.

Being mentally prepared for kids after years of being in a relationship with a loved one and being crushed when your plans fall apart is completely different from knowing a specific avenue to have kids was not in the books from the start

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
I mean, we still get fat shaming on the regular

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't think coming at people for racial preferences in dating is the way to go so long as those preferences have pretty good reasoning behind them.

For example, I prefer black women because a black woman is more likely to empathize with my life experiences, here in America or elsewhere.

That isn't to say that I would never date or marry a woman of any other race though; which is why I think "preference" is the wrong word to use when people say they'd prefer not to date trans people. What they really mean is "never", which doesn't really seem to imply a simple preference at all, but unattraction at best and prejudice at worst.

You admitted that's what it was.

I never said I didn't admit that. I typed it out, plain as day, while trying to get to the root of what my own issue is.

Though I think "I'm just not attracted to trans women" might be what my own problem is, and I probably just need to feel more comfortable admitting I've yet to meet a trans woman I'm physically attracted to, pre- or post-op. They're no less women to me than any other woman I'm just not attracted to.

That's still a shitty thing to cop to, and I never want to dead this topic with "they're just not attractive to me", because that isn't at all constructive.

kswiston

Oct 24, 2017
You're not attracted to "women" or else you'd be attracted to literally any woman in the world. You are attracted specifically to aesthetically and sexually pleasing traits that would be associated with female bodies. If you are not attracted to a trans woman because of her body/appearance, whether pre or post op, that's only logical. If however you found a trans woman who was so convincing in her post op appearance that you could never know the difference and suddenly lost attraction once you found out she once had a penis, then it would be a sign of internal prejudice.

That's how I see it anyway.

This is pretty much my take too. It is internal prejudice. I don't think people need to be browbeaten about it if it is only extending to their dating choices, but accepting your own prejudices and realizing that they are illogical and not admirable helps in not spreading them to other people (like your eventual kids) and perpetuating these cycles.

I don't think that we are THAT far away from the biological children thing being a non-issue. A few decades assuming that our politicians don't send us back to serfdom. Someone will figure out how to reliably make gametes out of autosomal cells. Coming up with a uterus solution for cis-male/trans-female couples is probably further off, but given how far genetics and med-tech has come in 50 years, probably not THAT far off. Transitioning methods will continue improving too, especially as increasing acceptance/awareness leads to more transgender kids realizing that they are transgender at younger ages. So if these stats don't dramatically improve in the future, it will be because our generation passed on their prejudices.

Status
Not open for further replies.