• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017

As a 2016 study confirmed, environmentalism is widely perceived as feminine behavior. Even today, caring and nurturing behavior is associated with women—and that includes taking steps to sustain the environment.

But as this new paper points out, specific types of pro-environment behavior can align with either masculine or feminine stereotypes. It also reports that engaging in the "wrong" type of environmentalism can lead people to wonder about your sexuality, and perhaps even avoid socializing with you.

"Behaviors don't just help us accomplish something concrete; they also signal something about who we are," lead author Janet Swim, a Pennsylvania State University psychologist, said in announcing the findings. "Line-drying clothes, or keeping tires at proper pressures, may signal that we care about the environment, but if those green behaviors are gendered, they may signal other things as well."

In the journal Sex Roles, Swim and her colleagues describe three studies about the impressions made by specific types of green behaviors. In the first, 170 participants recruited online were asked to evaluate a fictional character named either David or Diane, whose daily routine included several environmentally friendly activities.

These were either actions traditionally associated with women, including recycling and using a reusable shopping bag; actions traditionally associated with men, such as caulking windows and doors and donating to a waterfowl sportsman's group; or gender-neutral actions like paying bills online or turning off the air conditioner.

Participants then picked the personality traits they felt described this character, and gave their impression of his or her sexual identity using a 10-point scale from heterosexual to homosexual.

Across the board, David or Diane was "perceived as being more likely to have positive feminine than positive masculine traits"—confirmation that certain green behaviors are not associated with manliness.

Participants who learned that David engaged in behaviors associated with women did not, on average, view him as gay. Still, they "were uncertain of his heterosexual identity," the researchers write.

A similarly structured follow-up study confirmed these results. People who engaged in gender-incongruent green behaviors were "rated as less likely to be heterosexual," the researchers write, "suggesting that people were questioning targets' heterosexual identity rather than declaring them to be gay or lesbian."

A final study suggested these evaluations can have real-world consequences. After participating in a similar exercise, 303 people were asked who they would be interested in speaking with about environmental behaviors.

"Gender-bending women were socially avoided by men," the researchers report. They add that this phenomenon appears to be driven by men's "discomfort engaging with a woman who is not clearly heterosexual."

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking A, toxic masculinity (and homophobia obviously) needs to just die. I'm so ashamed of so many men...

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I read this and all I could do was sigh and hang my head.

Grow up my dudes.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I believe it. I once got questioned by some guy at work all because I turned off the electricity before changing a light bulb. This guy is the most "toxic masculinity" person ever so I guess being safe and avoiding electrocution is unmanly

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
source.gif

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I'd like to see which regions regions and demographics where the most ppl think that way in. Because the only people I've met that are like that, are the same types of people that'll drive a giant truck for no reason even though they're never gonna move or haul anything.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, yeah, I guess I can see how sometimes bringing my own bag to the store could be the reason I suddenly want to have sex with men...

Glad I figured it out on my own without the need for any expensive therapy.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Lol.... talk about toxic masculinity and dumbassery.

Not so sure that reusable shopping bags are even that green though.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I use paper bags over and over until they break and then i replace them

Thats acceptable right? Lol

Overall how embarrassing to even have an article describing grown men in this way. I'm ashamed of anyone of my gender who carries this attitude

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Got to drive big pick up trucks so people don't think I'm teh homo gay

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
People attach all sorts of dumb symbolic values to movements such environmentalism.

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to see which regions regions and demographics where the most ppl think that way in. Because the only people I've met that are like that, are the same types of people that'll drive a giant truck for no reason even though they're never gonna move or haul anything.
HAha reminds me of John Stewart's duly show but about oil independence. "Ooh that thing could really haul the boat I don't own up the mountain I don't live near."

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't use reusable bags because evidently there isn't anywhere near my door i can put them that my dumbass will see and actually remember to take them. i own like three though

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Haha, that's pathetic. I don't believe most men are like that though.

When they interviewed people before introducing a 10p charge on plastic bags some responses were so sad from all sorts of people, but year later 90% reduction in plastic bag used in supermarkets.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I had 2 older guys stand around my EV for at least 15 minutes while I was having lunch inside.

When I came out and they saw the car was mine they remarked "Wow we were expecting a tree hugger". I guess they expected some hippie with homemade clothes and a rope belt?

They were really rice otherwise and we spent like 15 minutes talking the environment and EVs. I totally forgot to ask them who they expected the owner was.

I don't know about "gay" but definately caring for the environment is not masculine.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
I avoid reusable shopping bags because it takes 7,100 trips to offset the environmental impact of a single cotton reusable bag. We're really good at efficiently turning feedstock into plastic bags. I reuse them again as liners for the cat box. Such is the circle of life.

I have a massive solar array instead. That's the big dick club of saving the environment.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Always good to have it scienced up, but to be honest i won't believe any man who is surprised by this.

absolutbro

Oct 25, 2017
I've even replaced my plastic ziplock storage bags with reusable silicone versions. People need to learn to stop giving a shit about what other people think of them.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Makes sense given toxic masculinity says men can't show emotion. Emotionless beasts such as us men are thus cannot do things like care about our planet.

Bullshit aside what the actual fuck smh.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
plastic shopping bags have always been a pain in the ass, they tear and break like mad. I don't know why anyone wants them to stick around. Hell only thing they are good for is liners for small trash cans like the one in my bathroom.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
I got a pack of colorful reusable bags off amazon. I don't give a fuck if one of them is purple. I'm tryna save some motherfucking whales. What a bunch of soft little bitches.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably the same people that think soy can make you gay and liberal.