• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Not only that some Youtuber made a point about how Claire asks Leon to send an e-mail to Chris. If Leon is in contact with him why is she looking for him? There probably an explanation but I can't find one.
It's been a while but IIRC she's not looking for him like in RE2. She got caught trying to infiltrate Umbrella headquarters and then sent to the Island.

Oct 27, 2017
Is it a cycle though? The gap between the first and second REmakes is 17 years. To reiterate, I'd kill for a REmake 3, I just don't think there are any guarantees.

Well I only mean cycle as in getting the original 3 done, despite how slowly they're doing it. My mind jumped straight to wanting a remake of 2 of the moment they announced REmake on GameCube.

There are probably circumstances that contributed to this 17 year gap (17 years?!!!!?). The right people not being there to do it, Capcom losing their way in general, maybe having no faith in their ability to do it, or underestimating how much demand there was for it. Trying to work out how to do it creatively once they decided to, any changes they'd make, how to handle the camera etc..

Capcom seems in a better place and they seem to have absolutely nailed REmake 2 from a creative standpoint. In theory I believe that probably lifts most of the question marks and bullshit as to why we waited 17 years between these two.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Sounds cool. As someone who will be playing through this for the first time as the remake, I'm fine with them making some changes for a more dramatic story.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"-There are Main Weapons and Sub Weapons in REmake 2. Main Weapons are things like the handgun, shotgun, while Sub Weapons are things like the knife and grenades. Sub Weapons often have two uses, one as an option in combat, and one as a defensive item, a concept they brought back from the remake of the original Resident Evil. They say there's more sub-weapons than we've seen.

-Gunpowder from RE3/RE7 is in REmake 2, and with it you can make three kinds of bullets. You can simply use two weaker gunpowder to make handgun bullets, and a weaker gunpowder+stronger gunpowder to make Shotgun shells, and a stronger+stronger for another type of ammunition.

-Herb combinations are back, and REmake 2 has three types of herbs, Green, Red, and Blue. They mention there's enemies in REmake 2 that can poison the player, which blue herbs can fight against. In a new combination for the series, you may combine Red+Blue Herbs. Doing this not only makes you invulnerable to poison for a period of time, it also raises your defensive power by a lot for this period of time until it wears off."

RZpD.gif

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
They mention "binaural sound design".
Is it true binaural like Hellblade?

If so, that would add so much to the horror factor!

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
That's good enough, I thought that she went to the Umbrella HQ because she was looking for Chris since he said in his diary he'd be there. Thanks.
Yea I think she was there looking for some incriminating evidence on them, IIRC Chris had actually warned her off it after he had already tried and failed, but I can't remember what part of the canon that titbit is from. It might be somewhere in the game.

Where is Newsbot when you need him?

Well I only mean cycle as in getting the original 3 done, despite how slowly they're doing it. My mind jumped straight to wanting a remake of 2 of the moment they announced REmake on GameCube.

Ah right, yea me too. Never stopped hoping for it. Even after they announced they were doing it in 2015 I still wouldn't let myself believe it was real.

There are probably circumstances that contributed to this 17 year gap (17 years?!!!!?). The right people not being there to do it, Capcom losing their way in general, maybe having no faith in their ability to do it, or underestimating how much demand there was for it. Trying to work out how to do it creatively once they decided to, any changes they'd make, how to handle the camera etc..

Capcom seems in a better place and they seem to have absolutely nailed REmake 2 from a creative standpoint. In theory I believe that probably lifts most of the question marks and bullshit as to why we waited 17 years between these two.

Well like a lot of Japanese developers they lost their way in the PS3/360 gen by chasing western trends. RE was an action series for the guts of a decade, they probably rightly figured it was a bad idea to remake one of the classics as an action game. It's good to see that they have realised what people want from them.

Last edited:

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Yea I think she was there looking for some incriminating evidence on them, IIRC Chris had actually warned her off it after he had already tried and failed, but I can't remember what part of the canon that titbit is from. It might be somewhere in the game.

Where is Newsbot when you need him?

Oh okay cool so he did get in contact with her. That's a detail I must've missed.

News Bot? Permabanned for his political comments in Etcetera as far as I remember.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Oh okay cool so he did get in contact with her. That's a detail I must've missed.

News Bot? Permabanned for his political comments in Etcetera as far as I remember.
Oh shit, did he even make it over to here? I knew he got a perm in the old off topic but didn't know he did it here too.

Edit: I actually checked the wiki and it seems you are right and I was wrong. She was searching for Chris at the start of CV, so I have no idea how Leon contacted him.

Jan 12, 2018
Regarding Leon contacting Chris in CODE: Veronica, the circumstances are a little different depending on if you are discussing CODE: Veronica or The Darkside Chronicles' "retelling" of CODE: Veronica's story.

In CODE: Veronica, Steve discovers that Umbrella has surveillance on Chris, and Claire sends this information to Leon, which is how Leon was able to locate Chris. In The Darkside Chronicles, where it has already been established Leon is working for the United States government, Umbrella does not know where Chris is, either, but Leon uses his contacts and sources within the United States government's intelligence community to track Chris down.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Regarding Leon contacting Chris in CODE: Veronica, the circumstances are a little different depending on if you are discussing CODE: Veronica or The Darkside Chronicles' "retelling" of CODE: Veronica's story.

In CODE: Veronica, Steve discovers that Umbrella has surveillance on Chris, and Claire sends this information to Leon, which is how Leon was able to locate Chris. In The Darkside Chronicles, where it has already been established Leon is working for the United States government, Umbrella does not know where Chris is, either, but Leon uses his contacts and sources within the United States government's intelligence community to track Chris down.
Ah, the original version makes complete sense then, was that addressed in-game?

It's weird that the second, more recent version makes less sense. If Leon could find out where he is, why didn't he do this for Claire in the first place?

Jan 12, 2018
Ah, the original version makes complete sense then, was that addressed in-game?

It's weird that the second, more recent version makes less sense. If Leon could find out where he is, why didn't he do this for Claire in the first place?

Yeah. Steve tells Claire outright that Umbrella has Chris under surveillance, and Claire says she will contact Leon with the information so Leon can warn Chris that he is being watched. She also sends the coordinates of the island to Leon to give to Chris so Chris can come rescue them. The original reason why Leon could not do it himself was he was going to be in the middle of the events of the scrapped Resident Evil 3.5.

As for why Leon did not do this in the first place in the updated version, it sounds like he at least tried, as during one of the interstitial segments, Leon admits that Chris was, for all intents and purposes, a ghost after leaving the United States. He may also have been too busy with his own training and other responsibilities in his new position to put his full attention on finding Chris himself, hence why he had to rely on contacts and other sources.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Opposite, like the literal opposite of how you interpreted that. They both go through different campaigns, but there is one story. Meaning Leon and Claire's campaigns are completely separate but interconnected stories. It means Leon will do some things which affects some events in Claire's campaign, and visa versa, since their key story events are happening along the singular timeline.

Is that different then the original?

Also, will future games (i.e. post-RE7/RE2R games), reference RE2 as the original or the Remake version?

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
The game is going to be top notch. The lack of Crimson Head foes is a missed opportunity, I think. I won't judge until I finish both playthroughs, the game just might be better paced without them.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
It isn't fair to the rest of the games coming out in 2019 that the GOTY is coming out in January.

I am so, so, so excited for this game.

Less than four months to goooo

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Is it 100% confirmed that the pro and x will have a 4k mode and a performance mode?
They said it will, so unless something changes I see no reason to not expect them. It's the same engine as Resi 7 which ran at 60 fps on everything so I have no reason to doubt them.

Yeah. Steve tells Claire outright that Umbrella has Chris under surveillance, and Claire says she will contact Leon with the information so Leon can warn Chris that he is being watched. She also sends the coordinates of the island to Leon to give to Chris so Chris can come rescue them. The original reason why Leon could not do it himself was he was going to be in the middle of the events of the scrapped Resident Evil 3.5.

As for why Leon did not do this in the first place in the updated version, it sounds like he at least tried, as during one of the interstitial segments, Leon admits that Chris was, for all intents and purposes, a ghost after leaving the United States. He may also have been too busy with his own training and other responsibilities in his new position to put his full attention on finding Chris himself, hence why he had to rely on contacts and other sources.
Did they ever confirm which was the official version?

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Maybe Chris surfaced after news got out that she was missing

This would be a great possibility to be honest.

This explanation helps a lot. Chris' disappearance at the time was something I always wanted to know more about. The way they handled it in 2, (a game I played before the first game) made Chris and STARS sound like legends to me way back then.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
In a new combination for the series, you may combine Red+Blue Herbs. Doing this not only makes you invulnerable to poison for a period of time, it also raises your defensive power by a lot for this period of time until it wears off.
I feel like this is only there as another bone they're throwing to the RE speedrun community lol.

IsaacC

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 17, 2018
User Warned - Port Begging
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/785/1785772/

This is a Japanese interview, but it is loaded with new details, so I wanted to make a topic and summarize here. It goes into depth on some mechanics of the game not previously revealed, design philosophies, things about Claire and Birkin, and more.

I'll write a summary:

-They worked to make the story of RE2 more "dramatic", and shuffled some events around in order to do this. Chief Irons arriving after meeting Birkin for the first time is one example of this, but there's others. People also probably have noticed Marvin doesn't die when you first meet him. They say they think when people experience the story, they will agree that the changes they've made really helps the pacing and drama of the story. They also tease that Irons sticks around longer than he did in RE2 and becomes increasingly unpleasant, way beyond anything he did in RE2.

-Confirms the game has one story timeline (two separate campaigns but both Leon and Claire's campaign have events that are reflective tn the others campaign), and you see different sides of this story as Leon and Claire. Their stories are made to interconnect the events that happen in the other.

-They changed Sherry Birkin to become more like an actual little girl than a sorta' Japanese image of a little girl like was in the original RE2. They also changed her outfit to examplify she is lonely and kinda' weird, but in a rich and sheltered upbringing.

-The Birkin Form 1 battle in the Claire demo is customized for the short play time, giving the player a lot of weapons and ammo to play around with. In the actual game, you won't be arriving at that encounter as loaded as you see in the videos.

-For the first encounter with William Birkin, they wanted to really emphasize the power that a G-Virus creature has, both as a destructive force on the move and how it corrupts a person. The fight takes place in the basement of the police station.

-In terms of game design, Birkin's Form 1's weakness is obviously the eye, but when choosing weakpoints they tried to work with what was in the original designs rather than making alterations to the classic designs. They also worked to introduce the idea of Birkin's eye being his weakpoint in this first form, but things may get more.... Complicated in Birkin's later forms once this idea is introduced.

-There are Main Weapons and Sub Weapons in REmake 2. Main Weapons are things like the handgun, shotgun, while Sub Weapons are things like the knife and grenades. Sub Weapons often have two uses, one as an option in combat, and one as a defensive item, a concept they brought back from the remake of the original Resident Evil. They say there's more sub-weapons than we've seen.

-Gunpowder from RE3/RE7 is in REmake 2, and with it you can make three kinds of bullets. You can simply use two weaker gunpowder to make handgun bullets, and a weaker gunpowder+stronger gunpowder to make Shotgun shells, and a stronger+stronger for another type of ammunition.

-Herb combinations are back, and REmake 2 has three types of herbs, Green, Red, and Blue. They mention there's enemies in REmake 2 that can poison the player, which blue herbs can fight against. In a new combination for the series, you may combine Red+Blue Herbs. Doing this not only makes you invulnerable to poison for a period of time, it also raises your defensive power by a lot for this period of time until it wears off.

-They have seen some of the divided response to Claire's new design, but they've worked hard on the new Claire and hope impressions will change as people see more of Claire in motion, being voiced, and her arc through the game.

-The part of the remake they probably spent the most time evolving for a modern version of the game were the zombies, they spent a lot of time thinking how to make them work best mechanically, look disturbing, feel somewhat scary to fight, how to make their movements unnerving, they wanted to remind people that zombies could be scary. Also mention they wanted the zombies to feel strong, like, "Why won't this thing die!?" They mention the zombies in REmake 2 can act like they're dead for a while, only to get back up. They can look like they should be dead, but just keep going. They wanted to make players not always feel like they reliably know that the zombie is dead.

-They confirm there's nothing like Crimson Heads in REmake 2.

-They put a lot of time into thinking how to make horror work best with this camera perspective, how audio plays into suspicion and fear, how turning a corner can be intimidating with the perspective, how something taking up your field of view quickly can be scary.

-On the switchable original OST that's DLC for the game (part of the Deluxe Edition). They mention it's the original OST, but it does function different than how it did in the original RE2. In the original RE2 the music would change at room changes or key events, while playing the original OST in this version the music changes depending on the situation. They also say if you have the DLC you can switch the music back and forth in the middle of play. They also hint that with the original OST, the title screen may play the original "Resident Evil 2" announcer voice.

-They want this game to show that behind-the-camera can be used really well for a horror game, and that the RE Engine can provide beautiful but twisted graphics and binaural sound design to unnerve the player. They say they know there's still many people who played the original fixed camera horror games and are impressed, and they haven't ruled out ever going back to the style yet, but they hope that users can experience this game with it's new perspective and come to love what they've done to realize horror from this perspective.

-They paid a lot of attention to small details in the game's look, details on character models like bite marks, wet clothes, burn models, being able to see under zombies skin when shot, etc. They also mention recently they've been working with NVIDIA for Ray Tracing, and seeing where it fits in the game to make it look even better, but that's not fully reflective in this version people have seen yet as they're still experimenting with it right now.

-Confirm PC versions can play in native 4k resolutions, and they're working hard to make the game on all platforms look beautiful and run stably for a solid gameplay experience no matter what platform you go on right now.

-They were absolutely honored that REmake 2 was one of the first third-party Japanese games to win best of E3 awards ever, they want to aim to make more titles and E3 presentations to wow people like REmake 2 has.

-Say to look forward to TGS, there will be a pretty big dump of information then and that Leon and Claire will both be playable at TGS.

---

Lot's of interesting details.
This is all great to hear, but what I really want is them to either announce this for Nintendo Switch, or even better, do RE3 REmake exclusively for Switch.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Heh, how to you imagine that? RE3 was much smaller and shorter.
RE3 wasn't smaller. RE2 has fewer areas where you backtrack more (the RPD, Umbrella) and then shorter sections like the intro in the city and the sewers.

Meanwhile in RE3 the city is greatly expanded, you visit the RPD again, you have the city hall, the hospital, the park, getting the fuel for the railcar, the gas station, the clock tower, you don't linger in any of these areas for too long. You're constanly on the move through Raccoon City and visit a lot more (admittedly smaller) locales.

Blackbird

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Heh, how to you imagine that? RE3 was much smaller and shorter.

What you're talking about?

RE3 had the Raccoon City itself as its big stage, with locations like downtown, clock tower, the city's hospital, park, R.P.D. and even a lab.

It also had brand new mechanics as dodge, gunpowder to make bullets, the stalker system with Nemesis and choice events that leads to different encounters. And that's all without considering multiple endings as well, which RE2 didn't had.

Btw, just by playing you should know that Resi 3 takes more time than 2 to finish it, but if you doubt it for some reason, a quick search is the answer for that:

g737gSo.png

wXyQdO3.png

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gimme dat purple herb action. Hopefully the higher difficulties promote using red+blue in boss fights to reduce the damage you're taking.

Jan 12, 2018
Did they ever confirm which was the official version?

While Capcom has never explicitly stated one way or the other, it is generally accepted that the original game is the official, canon version of events. That said, Capcom tends to play rather fast and loose with the canon to suit their needs at any given point.

For example, while REmake is overall considered canon over the original Resident Evil, Revelations 2 directly references dialogue and events from the original that were not present in the REmake.

Markitron

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
While Capcom has never explicitly stated one way or the other, it is generally accepted that the original game is the official, canon version of events. That said, Capcom tends to play rather fast and loose with the canon to suit their needs at any given point.

For example, while REmake is overall considered canon over the original Resident Evil, Revelations 2 directly references dialogue and events from the original that were not present in the REmake.
Weird, I didn't pick up on that in Rev 2

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
Is that different then the original?

No, it was the same with A/B scenarios. The difference is the remake will have only one canon scenario (Leon/Claire) instead of two semi-canon scenarios (LeonA/ClaireB, ClaireA/LeonB).

Also, will future games (i.e. post-RE7/RE2R games), reference RE2 as the original or the Remake version?

Remake will probably overwrite RE2, just like REmake is currently the canon version of RE1. Although it was much easier with REmake, since the only major changes from RE1 to REmake were the addition of Lisa Trevor, Crimson Heads and Edward Dewey not loosing his hand (but even then Revelations 2 refers the "Jill sandwich" dialogue that only happened in RE1, and was changed in REmake). Compared to that, REmake 2 already introduces much more changes to the story and characters' look.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
No, it was the same with A/B scenarios. The difference is the remake will have only one canon scenario (Leon/Claire) instead of two semi-canon scenarios (LeonA/ClaireB, ClaireA/LeonB).

Remake will probably overwrite RE2, just like REmake is currently the canon version of RE1. Although it was much easier with REmake, since the only major changes from RE1 to REmake were the addition of Lisa Trevor, Crimson Heads and Edward Dewey not loosing his hand (but even then Revelations 2 refers the "Jill sandwich" dialogue that only happened in RE1, and was changed in REmake). Compared to that, REmake 2 already introduces much more changes to the story and characters' look.

Okay cool.

I feel like Clarie at least doesn't look that drastically different. Like you can see how the RE2 Remake Claire would grow up to look like Rev 2's version.

IsaacC

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 17, 2018
What you're talking about?

RE3 had the Raccoon City itself as its big stage, with locations like downtown, clock tower, the city's hospital, park, R.P.D. and even a lab.

It also had brand new mechanics as dodge, gunpowder to make bullets, the stalker system with Nemesis and choice events that leads to different encounters. And that's all without considering multiple endings as well, which RE2 didn't had.

Btw, just by playing you should know that Resi 3 takes more time than 2 to finish it, but if you doubt it for some reason, a quick search is the answer for that:

g737gSo.png

wXyQdO3.png
am assuming you haven't played RE2 recently. And that time analysis is based on playing through a single scenario, not playing both Leon A Clair B, Claire A Leon B... The 4th Survivor and Tofu Survivor...not to mention Extreme battle mode.

Re3 has a couple different Endings, so does RE2. however unlike RE2, RE3 only has the one bonus mode. I would say you can easily get 3X the amount of hours of *unique" content from RE2 than RE3...if not more.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/785/1785772/

They also tease that Irons sticks around longer than he did in RE2 and becomes increasingly unpleasant, way beyond anything he did in RE2.

-They changed Sherry Birkin to become more like an actual little girl than a sorta' Japanese image of a little girl like was in the original RE2. They also changed her outfit to examplify she is lonely and kinda' weird, but in a rich and sheltered upbringing.

-For the first encounter with William Birkin, they wanted to really emphasize the power that a G-Virus creature has, both as a destructive force on the move and how it corrupts a person. The fight takes place in the basement of the police station.

-There are Main Weapons and Sub Weapons in REmake 2.They say there's more sub-weapons than we've seen.

-Herb combinations are back, and REmake 2 has three types of herbs, Green, Red, and Blue.

-They have seen some of the divided response to Claire's new design, but they've worked hard on the new Claire and hope impressions will change as people see more of Claire in motion, being voiced, and her arc through the game.

-The part of the remake they probably spent the most time evolving for a modern version of the game were the zombies, they spent a lot of time thinking how to make them work best mechanically, look disturbing, feel somewhat scary to fight, how to make their movements unnerving, they wanted to remind people that zombies could be scary. Also mention they wanted the zombies to feel strong, like, "Why won't this thing die!?" They mention the zombies in REmake 2 can act like they're dead for a while, only to get back up. They can look like they should be dead, but just keep going. They wanted to make players not always feel like they reliably know that the zombie is dead.

-They also hint that with the original OST, the title screen may play the original "Resident Evil 2" announcer voice.

FUCK YES. All improvements. And I'm glad they're sticking by Clair's redesign, my home girl looks awesome

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they add a few new enemy types. The 1.5 Spider Zombies looked really cool and was disappointed that they were scrapped in RE2.

Seems like Capcom is hinting at Irons mutating into a boss character. I feel that RE2 could have used an extra boss or 2 in the police station. REmake added 2 new bosses, so maybe RE2 will add 2 new bosses for Clair and Leon, and hopefully a new area for each as well as expanded Racoon City streets. Racoon City is easily my favorite setting in the series so more of that would be dope.

Oct 26, 2017
So I replayed RE2 yesterday (Claire A Leon B) Still as fun as always. So hyped that I threw a fast chibi fanart together:
re2chibiancaf.png