• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 12, 2018
It is worth noting that the Resident Evil 2 remake already addresses one continuity error between the original game and later entries. In Degeneration, Claire has a flashback to an encounter with William Birkin's first form. If we accept the Claire A/Leon B order of events as canon, then she never encounters that version of Birkin. Of course, having said that, the "true" canon of Resident Evil 2 has always been more of a mixture of all four scenarios, with a heavy emphasis on Claire A/Leon B, so the flashback has generally been viewed in that light. Still, it is rather nice to see it directly addressed in a new game, whether intentionally or not.

Oct 26, 2017
It is worth noting that the Resident Evil 2 remake already addresses one continuity error between the original game and later entries. In Degeneration, Claire has a flashback to an encounter with William Birkin's first form. If we accept the Claire A/Leon B order of events as canon, then she never encounters that version of Birkin. Of course, having said that, the "true" canon of Resident Evil 2 has always been more of a mixture of all four scenarios, with a heavy emphasis on Claire A/Leon B, so the flashback has generally been viewed in that light. Still, it is rather nice to see it directly addressed in a new game, whether intentionally or not.
Since they are ditching the 4 scenarios it only makes sense to mix and match the different scenes. Keeps it fresh for veterans and unifies the story canon at the same time.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
All I'm saying is..

With RE2Make done, and REMAK3 potentially inevitable..That's gonna be a lot of HD Raccoon City assets.. can ya boy get a REO1&2 remake?

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
I don't consider anything after Code Veronica canon anyway.

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
As long as we at least get a RE3 remake before the end of this gen. Code Veronica I could take or leave.

Ryan7556

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
So from what I've seen of the Darkside Chronicles' RE2 part, there's this scene with Irons in it:

Compared to how we've seen him so far in the remake, here he appears as some sort of cartoonish villian in both characterization and voice. In the remake he comes across as someone you'd think was normal but hiding an insidious nature. I think it will be the direction he's going to go based on what the devs plan to do here.

No42.05W70.2

Banned
Jun 14, 2018
So from what I've seen of the Darkside Chronicles' RE2 part, there's this scene with Irons in it:

Compared to how we've seen him so far in the remake, here he appears as some sort of cartoonish villian in both characterization and voice. In the remake he comes across as someone you'd think was normal but hiding an insidious nature. I think it will be the direction he's going to go based on what the devs plan to do here.

lol I like how the embryo emerges from his body, fully formed.

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad there are no Crimson heads, RE0 didn't have them either.
Because RE0 had something way way worse
img-13.jpg

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
-For the first encounter with William Birkin, they wanted to really emphasize the power that a G-Virus creature has, both as a destructive force on the move and how it corrupts a person. The fight takes place in the basement of the police station.
How he just thrashes the place in anger really sells this. Like, his lead pipe s more harrowing then ever.

-In terms of game design, Birkin's Form 1's weakness is obviously the eye, but when choosing weakpoints they tried to work with what was in the original designs rather than making alterations to the classic designs. They also worked to introduce the idea of Birkin's eye being his weakpoint in this first form, but things may get more.... Complicated in Birkin's later forms once this idea is introduced.
I noticed how fast his eye lides were moving and clothing. Perfect way to make an obvious weak point much more difficult to damage as I figure his eyelids are thick enough to reduce damage.

-There are Main Weapons and Sub Weapons in REmake 2. Main Weapons are things like the handgun, shotgun, while Sub Weapons are things like the knife and grenades. Sub Weapons often have two uses, one as an option in combat, and one as a defensive item, a concept they brought back from the remake of the original Resident Evil. They say there's more sub-weapons than we've seen.
Having your character try closing their ears would be a neat touch.

-Gunpowder from RE3/RE7 is in REmake 2, and with it you can make three kinds of bullets. You can simply use two weaker gunpowder to make handgun bullets, and a weaker gunpowder+stronger gunpowder to make Shotgun shells, and a stronger+stronger for another type of ammunition.
HHmm...does this mean no explosive/acid rounds? Funny enough, freeze rounds were in RE3.

In a new combination for the series, you may combine Red+Blue Herbs. Doing this not only makes you invulnerable to poison for a period of time, it also raises your defensive power by a lot for this period of time until it wears off.
This is coming off that hallucinogenic from RE7 that allowed you to see item locations for a period of time.

They mention the zombies in REmake 2 can act like they're dead for a while, only to get back up. They can look like they should be dead, but just keep going. They wanted to make players not always feel like they reliably know that the zombie is dead.
I actually hope this is procedurally generated. Like in on instance, that zom is active in one playthrough but then isn't in the next. Always keeping you on your toes.

-On the switchable original OST that's DLC for the game (part of the Deluxe Edition). They mention it's the original OST, but it does function different than how it did in the original RE2. In the original RE2 the music would change at room changes or key events, while playing the original OST in this version the music changes depending on the situation. They also say if you have the DLC you can switch the music back and forth in the middle of play. They also hint that with the original OST, the title screen may play the original "Resident Evil 2" announcer voice.
The legacy stuff behind a price point has pretty much been the sour point of this game. A triumph return yet also a dream come true yet somehow the past is not entirely brought along in one package.

-They want this game to show that behind-the-camera can be used really well for a horror game, and that the RE Engine can provide beautiful but twisted graphics and binaural sound design to unnerve the player. They say they know there's still many people who played the original fixed camera horror games and are impressed, and they haven't ruled out ever going back to the style yet, but they hope that users can experience this game with it's new perspective and come to love what they've done to realize horror from this perspective.
Was it ever confirmed that fixed-cameras were returning too?

-They were absolutely honored that REmake 2 was one of the first third-party Japanese games to win best of E3 awards ever, they want to aim to make more titles and E3 presentations to wow people like REmake 2 has.
...what beaten MGS2?

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
...I forgot how much of a full game that was. Crazy how they turned DLC into a brand new adventure. Though, I have a feeling that game might be the exception then something to come for gaming.

Part of the reason I think they might go this way is that redoing RE3 as its own $60 game might come across as a little content-light. RE2 has the Claire campaign, the Leon campaign, the Hunk and Tofu bonus mode, and whatever this mysterious playtime-increasing thing is that they're hinting at, not to mention the possibility of something like Mercenaries or Extreme Battle Mode. RE3 having nothing but a Jill campaign could be a little tough to market as a full game, even if that campaign really was more fully-featured than any of RE2's. It would make total sense as a $40 standalone though.
Definitely agree that RE3 needs to be it's own game rather than an expansion. They could definitely flesh a lot of things out. Possibly give carlos more of a leading role. or play a lot of the ubcs members in more significance possibly, but definitely the framework and foundation that will be made in the RE2 remake will setup a pretty nice precedence to bring an RE3 remake...or at least i'd hope so knowing how well this title will be received on top of sales. Pace wise it would prob come out after RE8 for sure so not holding my breath of seeing anything in that regard anytime soon.
Then they need to make Resident Evil 3: Nemesis to be as well remembered as 1 and 2. Why rely on the past when you can forge your own destiny? 3 can be that game.

By the time they will be getting around to it, RE4 will be 15 years old, I can see them just going straight onto that one.
I just don't see there being a breakthrough to justify a remake beyond QOL stuff and being prettier when real time 3D gameplay finally got "good enough" at the end of the PS2 generation and RE4 was the prime example of that which lead to..well, what influences REmake 2.

Playing RE4 on a plane/toilet/beach is the ultimate life goal
Well...

they can do all the remake they want as long as they remake Code Veronica along the way.
I don't remember there was ever any sentiment of a remake for that when REmake1 came around.

Probably like in RE4 Mercs snapping necks and equipped with a TMP
latest

What?

News Bot? Permabanned for his political comments in Etcetera as far as I remember.
What the hell?

While Capcom has never explicitly stated one way or the other, it is generally accepted that the original game is the official, canon version of events. That said, Capcom tends to play rather fast and loose with the canon to suit their needs at any given point.

For example, while REmake is overall considered canon over the original Resident Evil, Revelations 2 directly references dialogue and events from the original that were not present in the REmake.
Well, considering that REmake 1 still uses multiple endings and two separate campaigns, I suppose 1 will never be truly definitive.

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
-They worked to make the story of RE2 more "dramatic", and shuffled some events around in order to do this. Chief Irons arriving after meeting Birkin for the first time is one example of this, but there's others. People also probably have noticed Marvin doesn't die when you first meet him. They say they think when people experience the story, they will agree that the changes they've made really helps the pacing and drama of the story. They also tease that Irons sticks around longer than he did in RE2 and becomes increasingly unpleasant, way beyond anything he did in RE2.

-The Birkin Form 1 battle in the Claire demo is customized for the short play time, giving the player a lot of weapons and ammo to play around with. In the actual game, you won't be arriving at that encounter as loaded as you see in the videos.

It's good to hear Irons is playing a bigger role in the remake, as he was one of the most interesting characters in the original, and I loved the creepy story bits about him.

I'm a bit worried about the Birkin encounter after seeing the video, and what it means for the rest of the game. I really don't want the remake to turn to just another collection of chase sequences, that's become popular in horror games like RE7 and The Evil Within this gen.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
BBboy20
MP5 then :P though like with Claire they're not against changing a character's weapons.

In the original 4th Survivor he seems to have a handgun, shotgun and a magnum at the start. No sub-machine gun. They could have given him one, they didn't.

Yeah News Bot is toast.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
RE3make would be so much more then just an expansion for it to be even better than the OG. It should go even further than REmake and RE2 with changing things. I'd love for it to have a Dark Souls 1 style level design allowing players to take different routes in the city with the random threat of Nemesis popping up at any time. If not that style then they could go with the RE2 route and give us a full Carlos campaign. RE3 has the biggest potential for a complete reimagining of the original game as it's not really defined by the specific locations like Spencer Mansion or the RPD.