• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/785/1785772/

This is a Japanese interview, but it is loaded with new details, so I wanted to make a topic and summarize here. It goes into depth on some mechanics of the game not previously revealed, design philosophies, things about Claire and Birkin, and more.

I'll write a summary:

-They worked to make the story of RE2 more "dramatic", and shuffled some events around in order to do this. Chief Irons arriving after meeting Birkin for the first time is one example of this, but there's others. People also probably have noticed Marvin doesn't die when you first meet him. They say they think when people experience the story, they will agree that the changes they've made really helps the pacing and drama of the story. They also tease that Irons sticks around longer than he did in RE2 and becomes increasingly unpleasant, way beyond anything he did in RE2.

-Confirms the game has one story timeline (two separate campaigns but both Leon and Claire's campaign have events that are reflective tn the others campaign), and you see different sides of this story as Leon and Claire. Their stories are made to interconnect the events that happen in the other.

-They changed Sherry Birkin to become more like an actual little girl than a sorta' Japanese image of a little girl like was in the original RE2. They also changed her outfit to examplify she is lonely and kinda' weird, but in a rich and sheltered upbringing.

-The Birkin Form 1 battle in the Claire demo is customized for the short play time, giving the player a lot of weapons and ammo to play around with. In the actual game, you won't be arriving at that encounter as loaded as you see in the videos.

-For the first encounter with William Birkin, they wanted to really emphasize the power that a G-Virus creature has, both as a destructive force on the move and how it corrupts a person. The fight takes place in the basement of the police station.

-In terms of game design, Birkin's Form 1's weakness is obviously the eye, but when choosing weakpoints they tried to work with what was in the original designs rather than making alterations to the classic designs. They also worked to introduce the idea of Birkin's eye being his weakpoint in this first form, but things may get more.... Complicated in Birkin's later forms once this idea is introduced.

-There are Main Weapons and Sub Weapons in REmake 2. Main Weapons are things like the handgun, shotgun, while Sub Weapons are things like the knife and grenades. Sub Weapons often have two uses, one as an option in combat, and one as a defensive item, a concept they brought back from the remake of the original Resident Evil. They say there's more sub-weapons than we've seen.

-Gunpowder from RE3/RE7 is in REmake 2, and with it you can make three kinds of bullets. You can simply use two weaker gunpowder to make handgun bullets, and a weaker gunpowder+stronger gunpowder to make Shotgun shells, and a stronger+stronger for another type of ammunition.

-Herb combinations are back, and REmake 2 has three types of herbs, Green, Red, and Blue. They mention there's enemies in REmake 2 that can poison the player, which blue herbs can fight against. In a new combination for the series, you may combine Red+Blue Herbs. Doing this not only makes you invulnerable to poison for a period of time, it also raises your defensive power by a lot for this period of time until it wears off.

-They have seen some of the divided response to Claire's new design, but they've worked hard on the new Claire and hope impressions will change as people see more of Claire in motion, being voiced, and her arc through the game.

-The part of the remake they probably spent the most time evolving for a modern version of the game were the zombies, they spent a lot of time thinking how to make them work best mechanically, look disturbing, feel somewhat scary to fight, how to make their movements unnerving, they wanted to remind people that zombies could be scary. Also mention they wanted the zombies to feel strong, like, "Why won't this thing die!?" They mention the zombies in REmake 2 can act like they're dead for a while, only to get back up. They can look like they should be dead, but just keep going. They wanted to make players not always feel like they reliably know that the zombie is dead.

-They confirm there's nothing like Crimson Heads in REmake 2.

-They put a lot of time into thinking how to make horror work best with this camera perspective, how audio plays into suspicion and fear, how turning a corner can be intimidating with the perspective, how something taking up your field of view quickly can be scary.

-On the switchable original OST that's DLC for the game (part of the Deluxe Edition). They mention it's the original OST, but it does function different than how it did in the original RE2. In the original RE2 the music would change at room changes or key events, while playing the original OST in this version the music changes depending on the situation. They also say if you have the DLC you can switch the music back and forth in the middle of play. They also hint that with the original OST, the title screen may play the original "Resident Evil 2" announcer voice.

-They want this game to show that behind-the-camera can be used really well for a horror game, and that the RE Engine can provide beautiful but twisted graphics and binaural sound design to unnerve the player. They say they know there's still many people who played the original fixed camera horror games and are impressed, and they haven't ruled out ever going back to the style yet, but they hope that users can experience this game with it's new perspective and come to love what they've done to realize horror from this perspective.

-They paid a lot of attention to small details in the game's look, details on character models like bite marks, wet clothes, burn models, being able to see under zombies skin when shot, etc. They also mention recently they've been working with NVIDIA for Ray Tracing, and seeing where it fits in the game to make it look even better, but that's not fully reflective in this version people have seen yet as they're still experimenting with it right now.

-Confirm PC versions can play in native 4k resolutions, and they're working hard to make the game on all platforms look beautiful and run stably for a solid gameplay experience no matter what platform you go on right now.

-They were absolutely honored that REmake 2 was one of the first third-party Japanese games to win best of E3 awards ever, they want to aim to make more titles and E3 presentations to wow people like REmake 2 has.

-Say to look forward to TGS, there will be a pretty big dump of information then and that Leon and Claire will both be playable at TGS.

---

Lot's of interesting details.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
All of this looks like great news. That they're even putting effort in the implementation of the original OST is something that is impressive

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Capcom is really aiming to please.....Damn, I'm so happy. I think they're doing a banger job with this game

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I just can't believe this game is happening. Ever since REmake in 2002 I dreamed of a RE2 remake. Little did I know I'd get my wish over 16 years later.

Goddamn. And it's sounding like the best game yet.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I have one question regarding the detail saying "Confirms the game has one story, but you see different sides of it as Leon and Claire. Their stories are made to interconnect the events that happen in the other." I know we won't have the zapping system, but is this indicating that we won't even have separate campaigns for Leon and Claire? If so, a lot of my already diminished hype just hit another low.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
I have one question regarding the detail saying "Confirms the game has one story, but you see different sides of it as Leon and Claire. Their stories are made to interconnect the events that happen in the other." I know we won't have the zapping system, but is this indicating that we won't even have separate campaigns for Leon and Claire? If so, a lot of my already diminished hype just hit another low.
Opposite, like the literal opposite of how you interpreted that. They both go through different campaigns, but there is one story. Meaning Leon and Claire's campaigns are completely separate but interconnected stories. It means Leon will do some things which affects some events in Claire's campaign, and visa versa, since their key story events are happening along the singular timeline.

Pesmerga

Aug 22, 2018
Tried to skip reading parts that where a little spoilerish, but i think everything sounds great!

Hmm.. I might try to go full media blackout from now on, even though i know i most likley will watch tgs trailers a little.
Also VERY curious on how Nvidias ray tracing will look in this game!

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Opposite, like the literal opposite of how you interpreted that. They both go through different campaigns, but there is one story. Meaning Leon and Claire's campaigns are completely separate but interconnected stories. It means Leon will do some things which affects some events in Claire's campaign, and visa versa, since their key story events are happening along the singular timeline.

That is somewhat reassuring, but the original phrasing was somewhat confusing. Seeing "different sides of it as Leon and Claire" didn't provide any clarification on campaign styles, since that statement can very well occur in a single campaign. Unless they clarified in an earlier demonstration, and I happen to forget. The interconnected stories was something I already knew (since the Zapping system was revealed to be removed), but this made it sound like this was a singular campaign with both sides present.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really excited to see what they are going to show in TGS. Please be Extreme Battle Mode.

OP
OP
Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
That is somewhat reassuring, but the original phrasing was somewhat confusing. Seeing "different sides of it as Leon and Claire" didn't provide any clarification on campaign styles, since that statement can very well occur in a single campaign. Unless they clarified in an earlier demonstration, and I happen to forget. The interconnected stories was something I already knew (since the Zapping system was revealed to be removed), but this made it sound like this was a singular campaign with both sides present.
Updated the wording to hopefully make it more clear.

Ryan7556

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
-They worked to make the story of RE2 more "dramatic", and shuffled some events around in order to do this. Chief Irons arriving after meeting Birkin for the first time is one example of this, but there's others. People also probably have noticed Marvin doesn't die when you first meet him. They say they think when people experience the story, they will agree that the changes they've made really helps the pacing and drama of the story. They also tease that Irons sticks around longer than he did in RE2 and becomes increasingly unpleasant, way beyond anything he did in RE2.

Didn't he literally have a medieval torture chamber hidden in the RPD, does this imply it's going to go further than that?

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping that Capcom continues to kill it at each E3 from now on.

Not that E3 2016/2017 weren't good with the RE7/MWH reveals respectively, but I'm hoping they go for the dual jaw dropping reveals like they did with DMC5 and RE2 more often, I think that each game benefited from the other's reveal reception.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It keeps sounding better and better, really freaking excited for it. Also it's great to know that even with the absence of the zapping system there still be two separate campaigns, I feared for the worst initially when talks of one story started surfacing, good to know that it was only referring to one timeline of events.

Oct 26, 2017
In terms of game design, Birkin's Form 1's weakness is obviously the eye, but when choosing weakpoints they tried to work with what was in the original designs rather than making alterations to the classic designs. They also worked to introduce the idea of Birkin's eye being his weakpoint in this first form, but things may get more.... Complicated in Birkin's later forms once this idea is introduced.

Ha, someone was legit wondering about this in the other thread. Nice to know they plan on shaking things up.

Hero of Winds

Oct 28, 2017
Has the response to Claire's design really been "divided"? I see almost nothing but praise for it, even outside of here.

But damn, they're really going all out. The devs seem really passionate about it, too. Can't wait to play it again!

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointed by no Crimson Head like enemy,
you'd think as popular as they were they'd find a way to replicate it at least one more time in the series.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every news about this game reads like a dream. I'm loving it.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Personally disappointed they're trying to make the story more "dramatic". I like the old school Resident Evil games for the cheesy charm. I hope the game doesn't end up taking itself too seriously.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
So much good details. I just keep getting more excited for this game. :D

And nice of them talking about working with the behind the shoulder camera. It is kind of annoying seeing that camera perspective getting dumped on when it comes to horror.

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Has the response to Claire's design really been "divided"? I see almost nothing but praise for it, even outside of here.

But damn, they're really going all out. The devs seem really passionate about it, too. Can't wait to play it again!

mostly because of her face here

riccardo-minervino-e3-cover-1-e1529353118941.jpg

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
That stuff about the gunpowder being in actually makes me wonder if RE3 really is being planned as a major expansion. I was thinking it might be it's own game given the additional mechanics added to it, but hearing that they've added at least one of those mechanics to RE2 when it wasn't there before means RE3 would fit a bit more seamlessly.

bar_bar12

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
TGS will be amazing with this and DMC5 new info and probably trailers.

Red + Blue herbs sounds amazing. Immune to poison will be very nice

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/785/1785772/

-They confirm there's nothing like Crimson Heads in REmake 2.

-They want this game to show that behind-the-camera can be used really well for a horror game, and that the RE Engine can provide beautiful but twisted graphics and binaural sound design to unnerve the player. They say they know there's still many people who played the original fixed camera horror games and are impressed, and they haven't ruled out ever going back to the style yet, but they hope that users can experience this game with it's new perspective and come to love what they've done to realize horror from this perspective.

---

Lot's of interesting details.

-Maybe....something....Worse than crimson heads? hmmmmm

-Possible traditional camera angle mode perhaps?

-Overall though, loving all of this shit. You can tell they are making really thought out good decisions to recreate this classic to provide the same feeling as it did back in 98.

Now for that akuma mode and we got us another masterpiece boys! lol

Can.not.fucking.wait

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
They don't want something worse than crimson heads because they want the players to think that regular zombies are the highest threat of this type of enemy. They are already basically trying to act like they're dead even after you shoot them and then attack you from behind. Crimson Heads defeats the purpose of making the zombies scary or threatening, because you're going to be thinking a lot more about crimson heads than the actual zombies.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm not really into it. I don't hate it, but I liked her original and Dark Chronicle outfits more and her face is way too different.

I personally think it looks fine, It conveys her youth in a similar vein as Leon with the booty chin lol. Defintely no where near close as fugly as MVCI chun li, dante, and some of the other characters imo

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
They don't want something worse than crimson heads because they want the players to think that regular zombies are the highest threat of this type of enemy. They are already basically trying to act like they're dead even after you shoot them and then attack you from behind. Crimson Heads defeats the purpose of making the zombies scary or threatening, because you're going to be thinking a lot more about crimson heads than the actual zombies.

That's a really good point, didn't think about it in that sense.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
That stuff about the gunpowder being in actually makes me wonder if RE3 really is being planned as a major expansion. I was thinking it might be it's own game given the additional mechanics added to it, but hearing that they've added at least one of those mechanics to RE2 when it wasn't there before means RE3 would fit a bit more seamlessly.
Why would RE3 be an expansion when the original is markedly different from 2 in the first place? They aren't building an entire game built around Nemesis (that would have to have almost revolutionary AI in this day and age) with a bunch of new areas as an expansion pack.

robinsxe

Oct 27, 2017
-They were absolutely honored that REmake 2 was one of the first third-party Japanese games to win best of E3 awards ever, they want to aim to make more titles and E3 presentations to wow people like REmake 2 has.

This makes me happy, hopefully Capcom realises they are on the right track here and the dev's can feel the same. Great looking game, loving what they're doing. Cant wait for the release!

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
I personally think it looks fine, It conveys her youth in a similar vein as Leon with the booty chin lol. Defintely no where near close as fugly as MVCI chun li, dante, and some of the other characters imo
Yeah, it's not a bad design at all. I'm sure I'll get used to it when I'm actually playing the game. It's just jarring to see such a young looking Claire I think!

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Why would RE3 be an expansion when the original is markedly different from 2 in the first place? They are building an entire game around Nemesis with a bunch of new areas as an expansion pack.

Really Hoping we get a Jill, Nemesis, or Brad Cameo considering the Events of 2 & 3 pretty much intersect within the same vicinity for the most part. I would lose my shit if we got a hidden nemesis boss fight. Very wishful thinking though.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
The zombies in Remake 2 might not always die when you kill them but once your wallet dies in Q1 next year it's gonna stay ded.