• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
That's incredible.

Quick question, though. As a layman, I have no idea about the rules of speed Rubik's cubing. How do you determine the starting state of the cube? Are there rules to regulate how "scrambled" it has to be? Because I have to assume that certain combinations are easier to solve than others, right?

OP
OP

Deleted member 4372

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And to think, this could have been him. He truly is a winner.

Joey I'm not sure on that one. Good question to be honest. Maybe they have a designated starting position that the WR organizers have stipulated. Or maybe it's a 'new' Rubik's Cube, in it's manufactured state? When you buy one, it doesn't come solved already does it?

MadDoc

Oct 25, 2017
There's an official scrambling computer program that is used to determine he starting state of the cube. There are officials that check to make sure it is scrambled properly, adhering to specific rules regarding how scrambled it needs to be. They even orient the cube in a specific starting position with certain faces in the up and forward position. Winning can be based on individual fastest time or a fastest average time over a few attempts.

okay

Oct 25, 2017
I think the previous record had three clockwise right turns in a row, which could have obviously been one counter turn - so there was definitely room to improve on it

Hahaha. I love the kid who comes in for the high five at 23 seconds

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

And to think, this could have been him. He truly is a winner.

Joey I'm not sure on that one. Good question to be honest. Maybe they have a designated starting position that the WR organizers have stipulated. Or maybe it's a 'new' Rubik's Cube, in it's manufactured state? When you buy one, it doesn't come solved already does it?

WTF.....so even if the cube breaks, the timer keeps going and you have to put the pieces back and finish it on time?!

OP
OP

Deleted member 4372

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WTF.....so even if the cube breaks, the timer keeps going and you have to put the pieces back and finish it on time?!

Dude, I cannot comprehend the mental gymnastics necessary to even make a casual attempt at solving one of these things. It's one of those toys that all my friends had, but I never did. Just found it frustrating, more trouble than it's worth haha

Cirrus

Oct 25, 2017
Heh that was pretty awesome. I need to get another Rubik's cube. I used to have one I played with on my desk but I lost it, and now all I have is a lame fidget spinner.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
Every Rubik'c Cube World Record has something special, this one had the awkward high five. And there is the world record breaking boner (saw this on the Reddit thread lmao)

That dude has an amazing technique

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Every Rubik'c Cube World Record has something special, this one had the awkward high five. And there is the world record breaking boner (saw this on the Reddit thread lmao)

Haha, that first video should be posted in the cringe thread instead. Poor dude.

Deleted member 12379

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That put a smile on my face!

and lol @ that poor bastard going in for the high-five @ :23 and then the "SHIT!" @ :26

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is what a great community looks like.
Everyone is able to share in the accomplishment even though they weren't the ones who actually set the record.

l2iv6

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
that's so cool! I'm stoked to see such supportive peers, it's kinda heartwarming

hahahha

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif