• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of a single situation where you ever could legitimately need to send a death threat over video game shit. None. There's no situation. Someone beats you in a fighting game? pop-off sure. get mad. try and avoid heated gaming moments. don't threaten death. Mtx? annoying. garbage. Don't send death threats over it. Epic store? Legit stuff to complain about. Exclusivity and monopoly stuff is weird. Again please stop threatening death over it. What's wrong with you.

if you send a death threat about video games you can gtfo thanks. Not saying any of you are sending death threats (RIGHT????) but if you could get the word out that'd be good. i know enforcement will be a pain so if you could all just let people know this rule exists and they should follow it that would be appreciated. cheers.

/edit

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I, too, would prefer that people don't wish death on each other, but I'm old-fashioned like that so

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
x1j13r3lkhh31.jpg

feel free to use this image whenever you see a gamer say something stupid

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Why tf are people sending death threats over anything...
Frankly? because they think of them as something inconsequential.
"I'M RAGING VERY HARD SO I'M GOING TO WRITE SOMETHING PETTY AND ANGRY TO THIS PERSON" and then five minutes later they probably don't even feel guilty about it. CHances are some of them won't even remember it, if questioned a mere couple of days later.

kinjx11

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
just when you thought the media was wrong about linking violence to video games , this crap happens every couple of months

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
You can't be a true gamer if you haven't threatened to murder a dev's family over something incredibly petty. It's in the Standard Gamer Rulebook.

Oct 28, 2017
There are laws already for these kinds of things, getting banned from video games is silly (edit*) because in some States/Countries you will get into bigger troubles.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
I agree. If you are getting mad enough to send death threats, you probably need to stop, find a new hobby, and get some perspective.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Preach. This shit has become normalized and accepted as a way to communicate your anger to a dev if they dare besmirch the holiness of The Gamer™ and no one really bats an eye.

The video game industry did have a hand in creating this beast by pandering to a certain demographic for decades and now they're left picking up the pieces of the Monster they created. Doesn't excuse it though.

Look how fucking angry people got because someone dared talk down to someone as enlightened and important as a Gamer. I thought I had entered another dimension reading the Apex subreddit over the weekend.

OP
OP
Jintor

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
There are laws already for these kinds of things, getting banned from video games is silly (edit*) because in some States/Countries you will get into bigger troubles.

listen if nobody is enforcing the laws then the video games will have to do it themselves! some call it vigilantism or technocratic authoritarianism i say shut up you're banned from video games don't make death threats

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
We should all take a black marker and scrawl "Don't be a meanie" on the backs of our hands. That way when we go to type stupid bullying shit we see our hands and we're like "Oh that's right."

Oct 31, 2017
You can't be a true gamer if you haven't threatened to murder a dev's family over something incredibly petty. It's in the Standard Gamer Rulebook.
Can't really say the idea ever crossed my mind. And not even because of some sense of moral superiority, but because I would feel pretty fucking stupid doing it.

Honestly I find almost more bizarre than ethically questionable that this is even a common thing.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think you're going to find anyone around here defending death threats...
a lot of people seem to think that death threats leading a person to be any less than perfectly professional is unreasonable. feels like there's a general thing of "yeah yeah you got a death threat, but what i really want to focus on is how you used a mean word in response"

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
listen if nobody is enforcing the laws then the video games will have to do it themselves! some call it vigilantism or technocratic authoritarianism i say shut up you're banned from video games don't make death threats
How else are we going to get SE to add trophies to the FFXIV expansions? THEY CAN'T JUST IGNORE THE LAW LIKE THIS.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
-Technically- when I tied up the wife and children of the Snake Pass icon designer and suspended them over a vat of acid I didn't threaten to hurt anyone, just to be clear

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Really would not be against bringing back ostracism and applying it to anyone who feels the need to angrily @ the creator(s) of any work they don't like

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Fuck everyone who does this, one of the bigger problems I have with people these days as well is that people will see something like this and say "gamers" something something the scum who does this type of stuff shouldn't be called gamers it almost begins to normalize it. We shouldn't be afraid to identify as a gamer or not want to because if shitty people who also play games. They are assholes.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Look man, we all have heated gaming moments. We've all threatened to eat someone's children, burn down their home and track down every member of their family for three generations. Isn't the real problem really those SJWs, though? Just... like, SJWing? You know what I mean.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck everyone who does this, one of the bigger problems I have with people these days as well is that people will see something like this and say "gamers" something something the scum who does this type of stuff shouldn't be called gamers it almost begins to normalize it. We shouldn't be afraid to identify as a gamer or not want to because if shitty people who also play games. They are assholes.
I always find this hilarious.

A gamer is just someone who plays videogames.

Just because some people in a group are unpleasant doesn't mean everyone is.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
People love throwing death threats around to "show them who's boss". Happened to me once at a job when said employee was fired. Until you counter with a restraining order.

Online, as long as anonymity is part of users, and they can hide behind a made up name and avatar this will continue.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean sure. Death threats are never okay. I'm not sure you'll find anyone on here who thinks otherwise.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Look man, we all have heated gaming moments. We've all threatened to eat someone's children, burn down their home and track down every member of their family for three generations. Isn't the real problem really those SJWs, though? Just... like, SJWing? You know what I mean.
Those Super Jujitsu Warios are tearing this country apart with their karate and garlic breath!