• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GSC Game World's PR manager, who is now working on the highly awaited STALKER 2, became a guest on the podcast "Not brought in". Zakhar Bocharov provided detailed responses to several of the hosts' questions regarding the development of STALKER 2.

Since GSC and Microsoft signed a nondisclosure agreement, Bocharov was unable to respond to every single question, but he did provide some information.

• GSC wanted to make a sequel on the original X-Ray engine, but it is outdated. The developers sifted through other options for the actual engines but settled on the Unreal Engine.
  • GSC calls mod support a priority and will try to implement it already in the release version of the game. The modding community is very important for developers. Support for mods on Xbox is also being explored.
  • Bocharov promised that STALKER 2 on release will be much more stable.
  • The life simulation system A-life has become "more meticulous and more detailed." All interactions between factions, monsters, NPCs will take place even while the player does not see it. "A-life 2.0 is a different level of performance. We'll pay enough attention to it closer to release. It's a wildly cool system that works really well and there will be something to show." Bocharov gave an example of a fight between wild boars, the consequences of which the player can see. He did not disclose what would really work "at a new level".
  • The open world of the Zone will offer a "non-linear storyline with a huge number of branches and different endings." It is promised that the Zone will match the scale of history. The single-player mode is the main one in STALKER 2.

Last edited:

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
I am happy this exists but I refuse to get excited until I see it in a playable state. I cannot understate how important STALKER is to my taste in games, and how valuable a true successor would be to me.

dusan

Aug 2, 2020
This game is one of my reasons to buy Xbox, even that small updates make me feel good. Can't wait to see that Gameplay.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
I'm so excited for this game. I'm just glad that S.T.A.L.K.E.R is back. It being on console is also a huge plus.

Hopefully Gamepass gives it the large audience it deserves.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
I am happy this exists but I refuse to get excited until I see it in a playable state. I cannot understate how important STALKER is to my taste in games, and how valuable a true successor would be to me.
Did you play Cryostasis: The Sleep of Reason(PC only) btw? It was released 2 years after the first STALKER game. Its basically STALKER but without its just an SP game.

DoktorAkcel

Aug 30, 2019
I wouldn't get hyped at all till it's out. The game is bordering on a vaporware state, and has been in limbo for years.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Hopefully they do full gameplay reveal "soon". Their tech demo teasers have been impressive graphically, but I need to see this being actual game.

I Want To Belive

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Talking about mods without showing anything of substance about the game. My faith in this project isn't high.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Did you play Cryostasis: The Sleep of Reason(PC only) btw? It was released 2 years after the first STALKER game. Its basically STALKER but without its just an SP game.

Yep, and loved it. It's tonally similar to STALKER but plays very, very different. Fantastic game though.

I wouldn't get hyped at all till it's out. The game is bordering on a vaporware state, and has been in limbo for years.

Precisely. STALKER 2? Fuck yeah. We're talking "favourite game of all time" material on paper. But I sure as shit ain't getting excited until it's a feasible reality.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another way to look at is that devs see great things modders did with STALKER and its expansions that they want enable such things with STALKER 2 too.

And considering the history of this game consider me not at all impressed to hear about mods before we see an actual gameplay. If they're already relying on mods to do for this game what they did for the original then we're already in trouble.

Oct 27, 2017
USA
This is my most anticipated game in a very long time.

I've put a lot of time into the first 3 games. A lot.

I ran the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Files site for GameFront/FileFront for many years before it closed. I'd followed the development of the games since the beginning, back when it was still Oblivion Lost.

I am cautiously optimistic that they can pull this off.

The A-Life system in the original games, while amazing, was not up to the levels they originally dreamed about when talking about their vision back in late 2001/2002 and I hope the advances in tech allow them to truly realize that vision they had all those years ago.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
There won't be mods thanks to UE4, this is just PR, UE4 really denies you to do mods on the level of Stalker Lost Alpha.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
stalker SOC is the most atmospheric game in existence. Fight me.

I'm beyond excited.

Oct 31, 2017
That's basically my current stance about the game.

It doesn't help that I heard a bunch of not-particularly-comforting rumors about its production by Russian users.

Nothing too reliable in terms of sources, but the gist of it was on how the CEO, after cancelling the previous iteration of STALKER 2 on a whim ten years ago, supposedly put together a bunch of underpaid students to improvise a ragtag low cost development studio when he decided that he was sitting on the IP for long enough.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
That's basically my current stance about the game.

It doesn't help that I heard a bunch of not-particularly-comforting rumors about its production by Russian users.

Nothing too reliable in terms of sources, but the gist of it was on how the CEO, after cancelling the previous iteration of STALKER 2 on a whim ten years ago, supposedly put together a bunch of underpaid students to improvise a ragtag low cost development studio when he decided that he was sitting on the IP for long enough.
I can't speak for S.T.A.L.K.E.R., but the Cossacks reboot was pretty decent.

Ukraine has a lot of support studios for publishers like Ubi and Crytek, and GSC has been supposedly recruiting from those.

They are talking the talk; but I'm not gonna get excited until we see actual gameplay.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
Precisely. STALKER 2? Fuck yeah. We're talking "favourite game of all time" material on paper. But I sure as shit ain't getting excited until it's a feasible reality.
Same. On paper, it's a sequel I want more than anything else because not even Metro could scratch that particular itch, but I'll file it under gaming unicorns until we at least get some solid reviews.

The fact that the IP suddenly reappears from the realm of the dead after 10 years feels a bit strange.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Same. On paper, it's a sequel I want more than anything else because not even Metro could scratch that particular itch, but I'll file it under gaming unicorns until we at least get some solid reviews.

The fact that the IP suddenly reappears from the realm of the dead after 10 years feels a bit strange.

GSC imploded at one point when S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 got cancelled. The dev team split up, with some people joining 4A (which is why Exodus played so much more like SoC), and others forming Vostok Games- a team that's still working on the MMO Survarium, and also did a Battle Royale set in Chernobyl called "fear the wolves"

Meanwhile, GSC re-formed, and released Cossacks 3 a few years back. This remake of Cossacks was pretty decent, but not amazing. Still, they did like 5 expansions for it, and apparently afterwards they've been working on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 again. It's unclear who, if anyone, from the original devs came back to GSC for this.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
The expansion of A-Life to a fully active and persistent state is music to my ears. I really hope this comes together and does justice to the original game + dlc.

/reinstalls Stalker for the umpteenth time

FYI The Call of Chernobyl mod with factions has the ability to do A-Life activity across loading zones like this, it can be predictably janky like spawning in the middle of a firefight or mob of mutants, but its very cool seeing the system work across all the different areas. Here's hoping GSC pulls it off for the sequel.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I really hope that this game is not some kinda joke but proper sequel to one of the most unique, atmospheric and complex FPS games ever made .. the living AI system in the first game is something that I haven't seen in any other game .. not even RDR2 has such a living and organic AI of the various human characters, animals, factions, etc. like STALKER has .. Far Cry series not even close

But if we are already talking about the great Cryostasis game, there was a recent video about it by RagnarRox :

Because of this video, I again tried to play the demo of this game with all the Nvidia PhysX effects on and it's a shame that it runs so poorly when the effects are in full power and the game constantly crashes..
I played the full version in 2010 and played it without all those effects (that water-canon effects are really pathetic without the PhysX effects turned on) and from what I remember, I had crashing problems only at the end of the game.. shame that it's not on any digital platform right now - would buy it again in a second.. playing as a bear or a cow in a FPS game? Hell yeah :D

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Man, I need to play Cryostasis. But I remember it running like shit. And I don't know if I'll be able to brute-force it with a 2020 rig. Does it still run poorly?
Its delisted on STEAM or any other PC platform due to the developer or publisher dissolving or something but a STEAM code is available on some third party stores albeit for a price like $34 or something...

Kunjiru

Apr 14, 2020
Everytime I hear "non-linear branching story" and "dynamic stuff happening outside of player's vision" I automatically assume it's bullshit lol, it always is

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
GSC imploded at one point when S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 got cancelled. The dev team split up, with some people joining 4A (which is why Exodus played so much more like SoC), and others forming Vostok Games- a team that's still working on the MMO Survarium, and also did a Battle Royale set in Chernobyl called "fear the wolves"

Meanwhile, GSC re-formed, and released Cossacks 3 a few years back. This remake of Cossacks was pretty decent, but not amazing. Still, they did like 5 expansions for it, and apparently afterwards they've been working on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 again. It's unclear who, if anyone, from the original devs came back to GSC for this.
Hey I wasn't aware some ex-GSC released an MMO and a Battle Royale. Thanks for posting this.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Man, I need to play Cryostasis. But I remember it running like shit. And I don't know if I'll be able to brute-force it with a 2020 rig. Does it still run poorly?

If you don't play it with the Nvidia PhysiX stuff, it runs absolutely fine, apart from some crashes.. I tried to play the demo one week ago and with all that stuff on, it didn't ran that great when there was a effects heavy scene and it was constantly crashing

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017

Have any insight on the quality of either of those ex-GSC games? Every now and then when thinking about STALKER, I some how end up looking at those games but have never pulled the trigger despite my curiosity. User reviews don't seem all that hot.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Have any insight on the quality of either of those ex-GSC games? Every now and then when thinking about STALKER, I some how end up looking at those games but have never pulled the trigger despite my curiosity. User reviews don't seem all that hot.

No, sorry. I don't play multiplayer games, so never really cared about either of those titles.