• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Even though the genre change weirded me out at first the game is looking just gorgeous. Really happy to see so much love being poured into it and can't wait to play it.

The world deserves a decent action Sakura Taisen, still haunted by ST V Episode 0.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
That number on the right, is that a combo/hit counter?
I don't think words can describe how much I hate Platinum style combat.
I've never played a Sakura wars before, but if this plays anything like dmc or Bayo, then it's dead to me. And that'd be quite upsetting, because everything else looks very nice.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
That number on the right, is that a combo/hit counter?
I don't think words can describe how much I hate Platinum style combat.
I've never played a Sakura wars before, but if this plays anything like dmc or Bayo, then it's dead to me. And that'd be quite upsetting, because everything else looks very nice.

It plays like a simple action game and it has a perfect dodge like Bayo, but as I always say keep in mind that
Sakura Wars is a VN/Adventure game rather than anything else.Most of the time you'll just be roaming around
the theater and Ginza talking to people.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
It plays like a simple action game and it has a perfect dodge like Bayo, but as I always say keep in mind that
Sakura Wars is a VN/Adventure game rather than anything else.Most of the time you'll just be roaming around
the theater and Ginza talking to people.
The VN side sounds very nice, and it has my interest.
That's why I'm so nervous about the combat, It would be upsetting to have the combat in this end up feeling like irritating tumor growing off to the side.
Non-action games have perfect dodge too, like BOTW.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
This is looking really good. I just wish there was an English dub, and it'd probably help a lot for western sales.
Me too.

Can't wait for this, and it's looking great despite me preferring it stayed a SRPG, I would really love to see a dub. The ingame versions of the characters are looking fantastic.

Is Kohei Tanaka the most underappreciated video game composer of all time?

The answer is yes.
Yup, one of my favs.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Looks great! I'm a little confused about the battle mechanics though...it seems that it has a Ys-style "party" system which switches out the character you are controlling but I definitely spied scenes where there are two mechs on the field at once.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
An English dub wouldn't really fit this kind of game. Maybe open yourself up to a bit of culture for once. :p

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
An English dub wouldn't really fit this kind of game. Maybe open yourself up to a bit of culture for once. :p
Huh? Heck, one of the other games in the series already got one so there's nothing about it that wouldn't fit one lol.
Will obviously play it still subbed anyway, but there'd really be nothing stopping this from fitting a dub as well.

Last edited:

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Huh? Heck, one of the other games in the series already got one so there's nothing about it that wouldn't fit one lol.
Will obviously play it subbed anyway, but there'd really be nothing stopping this from fitting a dub as well.

I feel the same. Plus, if FOTNS: Lost Paradise and Judgement got dubs, I don't see why this game shouldn't when it's probably even more suitable to have one than either.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Over 20 minutes of off-screen footage:

I'm really digging the presentation, but I guess that's the Hedgehog Engine 2 for ya.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I'm quite surprised how good this looks! Now that's a game I'd turn on my PS4 for again.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Tomorrow's stream schedule says there will be a surprising new announcement.

Ports of the older games are probably out of the question, right?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't expecting so many to have no idea that mechs were a major focus in this series. Of course, most seem just as surprised to know that these are also dating sims.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
I've been heading a translation project for the first game for the Saturn since last year with the help of a dozen translators. Cj_iwakura has been working on editing the translated script. It's nearly done. Should be out shortly. You'll be able to run it on an emulator or a Saturn.

I'm digging the action battle system here.
Any plans for the other ones?

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
The cutscenes look great. The gameplay looks bad. Even roaming is very stiff in the animation

SonicX_Zero

Oct 26, 2017
Is this some sort of reboot for the series? I've never played any of the games but I've heard of them, also I've only watched the tv series which aired like almost 19 years ago so I was kinda hoping to see some of the original characters.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
Is this some sort of reboot for the series? I've never played any of the games but I've heard of them, also I've only watched the tv series which aired like almost 19 years ago so I was kinda hoping to see some of the original characters.
It's more of a soft reboot, something like the new God of War game.
There are some returning characters, like Kanzaki Sumire and probably Shinguchi Sakura

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
So this is a mech game? My only knowledge of the series is PxZ so I thought it would be about the characters with mechs here and there.

Eien1no1Yami

Oct 30, 2017
So this is a mech game? My only knowledge of the series is PxZ so I thought it would be about the characters with mechs here and there.
This is a VN/Adventure game first and foremost with some mecha battles in-between.
In the previous games the mecha battle gameplay had SRPG elements.
Now the battle gameplay has Action elements

Sep 28, 2018
So, 3 things!

1) Kinda funny, kinda depressing so many people didn't know Sakura Taisen is a Mech game

2) Combat was never really the main focus of the series, I felt it was always a 60/40 split with the story and relationship development taking centre stage. This game appears to be a more 50/50 split with combat.

3) I was concerned with the change in combat at first, but having seen the gameplay, I think it looks super fun! Production values are clearly pretty high on this one all round.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
All over my face. This looks great and exactly what I hoped when they said that they're switching from strategy to an action battle system.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta admit, this 2 trailers made me more excited than the original reveal

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Will obviously play it still subbed anyway, but there'd really be nothing stopping this from fitting a dub as well.
What, you mean the only Sakura Wars game prior to this one that was released in the US? And the only game where the setting is in New York? Pretty poor precedent if you ask me.
1) Kinda funny, kinda depressing so many people didn't know Sakura Taisen is a Mech game
Well only one entry has been released in the west, so...

Oct 26, 2017
Looking pretty good, but I'm afraid that the localized version will be released around Final Fantasy VII and that would definitely not do it any favours.

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
Any plans for the other ones?

I'd love to, but unfortunately these things require a ton of time to do. If I started another translation project, my wife would kill me lol. Perhaps eventually I will. I did take a peek at the files for the second game to see if it had a similar layout and file formats and of course it didn't. Japanese devs from that era were notorious from writing every game basically from scratch.