• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they are using different engines between the games. I was pretty sure they'd be using Unity for Pokémon too but I'm not sure anymore
so far, just their in-house for Pokemon and Unity for 2 new IPs. don't expect them to go crazy with engines given their size

azertydu91

Oct 27, 2017
Wow the UI is almost as cluttered as ERA fave Persona 5

persona_5_1.jpg
It's quite disingenuous to post that screenshot without mentionning that you are scanning the ennemy usualy the level bar and morgana talking to you aren't on the screen.So there's only what's around the MC and at the bottom.

Oct 27, 2017
It's quite disingenuous to post that screenshot without mentionning that you are scanning the ennemy usualy the level bar and morgana talking to you aren't on the screen.So there's only what's around the MC and at the bottom.
Yet it's no disingenuous to claim the Town UI is busy knowing absolutely nothing about the actual combat mechanics whatsoever and just assuming some elements are there are needless clutter?

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play Xenoblade so I wouldn't know that but yeah you can really tell when someone try to damper things that obviously that UI is horrendous.

Most games have perfectly fine UI. Things are in motion, they pop in and out all the time. Everytime I see people complaining about UI in games they haven't played I just roll my eyes.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
the 850 monsters will not be on the overworld . also xenoblade games have hundreds of monsters as well yet they are generations ahead graphically (and techically). so yea I'LL NEVER understand how sword and shield have to look like a wii hd game.

it's very, very disappointing.
Lmao? Wii hd game? So you're trolling or just need glassed?

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
giphy.gif

Where are you even supposed to look?
Bottom right mostly, with quick glances at top right, bottom left, and middle right/left pop-ups depending on the actions you're aiming to do, while occasionally keeping an eye on top left so you don't die.

Also once you know what you're doing you can hide the names and things to minimize clutter.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
There are elements of the Xenoblade 2 UI that you can remove, the descriptions once you know them are unnecessary

azertydu91

Oct 27, 2017
Most games have perfectly fine UI. Things are in motion, they pop in and out all the time. Everytime I see people complaining about UI in games they haven't played I just roll my eyes.
I always hate the bloated UI And would have a lot of trouble playing xenoblade if the UI stayed that way (which you told me doesn't).
But I think persona leave enough space to the eye.
I can't fathom how some people can play with the map overlaying their screen that's so unpleasant to the eye to me.

azertydu91

Oct 27, 2017
Can you read Japanese? Do you know what all the various elements are saying? How can you not see the absurdity of this argument?
Does it feel smooth on the eye to you?
I don't like that UI it is a simple personal taste but I feel it is too bloated either too much icon or maybe zooming out might help but I don't need to understand japaneese to know that it would be uncomfortable to play to me ?
Don't get upset if someone doesn't like what you like.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like that UI it is a simple personal taste but I feel it is too bloated either too much icon or maybe zooming out might help but I don't need to understand japaneese to know that it would be uncomfortable to play to me ?
Its quite disingenuous to say that

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I always hate the bloated UI And would have a lot of trouble playing xenoblade if the UI stayed that way (which you told me doesn't).
But I think persona leave enough space to the eye.
I can't fathom how some people can play with the map overlaying their screen that's so unpleasant to the eye to me.
That was the UI with all of the elements on screen at the same time which isn't always the case, it looks like this otherwise
D7RxM8dU8AAIOvy

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
I think it looks really bad and it's crazy to me that people prefer that to Sword & Shield.

z_5cbf0ba9b2771uxje0.jpg

NSwitch_PokemonSwordShield_02.jpg

Better shading and models and less aliasing in Town are noticeable to me, no grass whatsoever in S/S, and the shading in the background could be a lot better.

That said worth noting Sword/Shield can improve between now and launch, and it's also a bigger game.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

Coming from the person doing the exact same thing at the claim that the Persona 5 UI is cluttered? Really??

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
z_5cbf0ba9b2771uxje0.jpg

NSwitch_PokemonSwordShield_03.jpg

Better shading and models and less aliasing in Town are noticeable to me. I don't even know if you can look at the sky in Sword and Shield.

That said worth noting Sword/Shield can improve between now and launch, and it's also a bigger game.

Sword & Shield looks clean. Colorful. It's more detailed. It has better color saturation. Better models. It doesn't have ugly shadow blobs. It's more coherent globally and artistically.

Town looks like a Ni No Kuni bootleg.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Still looks pretty ugly. Not necessarily graphics wise, but more... Artstyle wise? The colors are still so muted and weird. I'm really not feeling it. It looks better than it did before though.

azertydu91

Oct 27, 2017
That was the UI with all of the elements on screen at the same time which isn't always the case, it looks like this otherwise
D7RxM8dU8AAIOvy
That's way better I remember watching a friend playing Aion and I wouldn't have lasted more than an hour imagine this plus the map across all screen in transparency.
maxresdefault.jpg

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Curious to see more gameplay details. Of all non-Pokemon games Gamefreak has ever done, this seems to be one which truly attracted me.

Gamexplain had a great breakdown on the battle systems, but I want more.

azertydu91

Oct 27, 2017
Coming from the person doing the exact same thing at the claim that the Persona 5 UI is cluttered? Really??
There's still way more space free of UI in Persona than in those shots I was simply saying I find persona's UI less bloated thus I liked it more.
If you want to argue go find someone else I'm just saying I don't like the UI if that hurts you in any personal way that's on you.

Oct 27, 2017
There's still way more space free of UI in Persona than in those shots I was simply saying I find persona's UI less bloated thus I liked it more.
If you want to argue go find someone else I'm just saying I don't like the UI if that hurts you in any personal way that's on you.

Okay, pot, no need to argue with this kettle any further

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
We literally can't go a single Gamefreak thread without things immediately going to shit lol

Town looks fine. It's hard to make any judgements without knowing how the battle system works, but I like the looks of what little we've seen thus far.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
You are using the worst screenshot of SwSh available, it seems like you edited out a better one?

I edited cause at first i picked a random image of Sword Shield but then i thought it was better to have both images of the combat, with a camera angle that looks very similar for a better comparison.

I don't agree at all with the criticism here for the UI btw, it looks fun and fine to me.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 UI also wasn't that bad and a major improvement over Chronicles X.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
It def looks cleaner/more interesting than the last glance I had but I'm still a little confused as to what type of game this is gonna be