• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In the patch notes for the big Pirates of the Caribbean update that released earlier today:

On Steam, players are no longer able to modify game files in order to exceed the maximum player field of view.

Basically, prior to this update, Steam players were able to add two extra lines to a .ini file in order to increase the FoV maximum from 90 to 120. This was always considered against either Rare or Microsoft's terms of service or something, but nobody was ever really punished for it.

Rare support currently responds to complaints regarding the FoV with this:

Ahoy there,

Thank you for your ticket.

The FOV modification for Steam players was never intentional and has been removed in order to restore the intended settings of Sea of Thieves.

There are no intentions to change this in future.

Best regards,
Sea of Thieves - Player Support

The game is an always-online, cross-platform experience, and this change was likely made in order to bring balance between the various platforms the game supports. The biggest issue here is that players weren't just using this in order to gain an advantage, but to reduce motion sickness, an accessibility issue with Sea of Thieves that Rare has yet to do anything about since the game originally released in 2018.

What's your guys' take on this? Ideally, Rare would just increase the FoV limit on all platforms in order to maintain balance, but this would likely introduce performance issues on the previous gen Xbox. Is there an issue with a cross-platform multiplayer game having different FoV limits on each platform? Rare certainly doesn't seem to think it's an issue that PC players can have a better view distance setting than console players.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
What is this this shit?

How about make Crossplay optional or introduce the option to increase FoV on console?

F*** restrictions like that.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
I play at 90 FOV in most games, but I don't see why someone can't play at higher FOVs.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
This sucks. As some who struggled to play F4 recently without suffering headaches until after I was able to manually set the fov to 90 I know how much this stuff can affect ones enjoyment of games.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Sometimes the importance of certain QoL features - like the right not to be nauseous playing your game - exceeds the slight advantage that comes from said QoL features.

This is garbage.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Adding limitations to PC games that weren't there originally is always some bullshit.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
The competitive advantage in an arena shooter or something I could maybe understand. But it seems like it would be pretty marginal in SoT.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
To be fair people need to understand that increasing the FOV so much wasn't an option in game. This was done through modifying game files , in a mp game. Regardless of if you agree with Rares decision or not, in a way this was cheating.

Oct 29, 2017
Oh no won't someone please think of the integrity of the Sea of Thieves online experience.

Just let people pick their FOV. Some have legitimate motion sickness issues.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
The lack of accessibility for people who get motion sickness on this game remains a dealbreaker, especially when many of the other accessibility settings are so good. The main reason my closest group of friends doesn't play more is because one of us can't play the game for more than a few minutes without feeling sick.

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Aha, that's funny that it worked by changing the meaning of the FOV to vertical rather than horizontal FOV.

So you could never actually modify the FOV directly beyond 90 anyway.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
Just put a bigger FOV slider on PC and next-gen consoles like D2. I can't think of a scenario where this 90 FOV limitation is justified.

centracore

Oct 25, 2017
The Microsoft Store version of this game makes me so incredibly motion sick that I recently purchased the Steam version just to be able to increase the FoV which made a huge difference, guess I won't be playing Sea of Thieves anymore.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
They made the right call in stopping the modification of game files. It can harm the integrity of the game.

They made the wrong call in not allowing adjustable FOV on all platforms, even on console too. It's an accessibility feature more than a competitive one. Should be standardized across the board. As someone who gets motion sick with some games, settings for Gamma, FOV and Motion Blur are a godsend. I've had no problems with SoT personally but have been in a position for many others where I have been.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't buy the game if I know that they will take out the ability to modify the FOV, will they refund me then?

I doubt you'll get far if your argument is that they've taken it out. Because it was never officially in. It was always a backend ini adjustment.

The game still has the same FOV slider settings that it's always had. Up to 90. Steam users (specifically) just had access to a way to trick it into changing the horizontal setting to the vertical setting, pushing it further than intended.

Could try your luck though? Steam are bloody good with their refunds and if you say it's an accessibility concern they might honour it.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
They made the right call in stopping the modification of game files. It can harm the integrity of the game.

They made the wrong call in not allowing adjustable FOV on all platforms, even on console too. It's an accessibility feature more than a competitive one. Should be standardized across the board. As someone who gets motion sick with some games, settings for Gamma, FOV and Motion Blur are a godsend. I've had no problems with SoT personally but have been in a position for many others where I have been.

The fov is adjustable on console and PC, the problem is that it's limited to 90 max.

OP
OP
Conkerkid11

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just put a bigger FOV slider on PC and next-gen consoles like D2. I can't think of a scenario where this 90 FOV limitation is justified.
Oh wow, D2 has an FoV slider on consoles? That's awesome.

I'm really glad that console gamers are getting to experience how great having a high FoV is now.

Not surprised. Blizzard is just as strict when it comes to this
Funny enough, my go-to FoV for most FPS games became 103 horizontal due to that being the cap in Overwatch.

Can I ask; Why do people want to play a game against the unintended guidelines? Sure if the devs want 90 to be the intended rule why do people want more?
Because low FoV makes people motion sick.

i didnt even know sea of thieves was considered "competitive"
The PvP players in this game can take things very seriously.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
Can I ask; Why do people want to play a game against the unintended guidelines? Sure if the devs want 90 to be the intended rule why do people want more?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Because if people have large enough monitors close enough to their eyes they can feel motion sickness and increasing the FOV can help with that.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
PC SoT player here, I welcome the change. Console players already get dunked on hard, any extra advantage hurts even worse. People wanna talk about accessibility but don't really care about how the console players experience is? I'm sure there's plenty of people on console with accessibility needs that would like this change making their life a small bit easier on the seas, cause it's already a big uphill battle.

Also people prone to getting motion sickness should consider staying clear of this game regardless of FoV, the water physics are that good. I don't see how any extra FoV is going to help that much, this isn't your standard game motion sickness this is real sea sickness. Got a few friends that can't play period no matter what the settings are, and occassionaly I'll feel it even though I rarely get motion sickness.

Last edited:

ash32121

Oct 27, 2017
I hope so. Did you buy it on Steam? I heard their refunding process is pretty good.
You could try. Steam might uphold that.

Doubt anyone else would though.
I doubt you'll get far if your argument is that they've taken it out. Because it was never officially in. It was always a backend ini adjustment.

The game still has the same FOV slider settings that it's always had. Up to 90. Steam users (specifically) just had access to a way to trick it into changing the horizontal setting to the vertical setting, pushing it further than intended.

Could try your luck though? Steam are bloody good with their refunds and if you say it's an accessibility concern they might honour it.
Yeah, bought it on Steam because I know I can change the .ini file. The version I got on gamepass makes me barf my guts out every time I play.

And I just try, and got denied because it been more than 14 days and more than 8 hours of gameplay.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The complaint shouldn't be that they took something away. It was a hacky way to get it working, and it was on Steam only. 90 is the max you can set IN GAME on all platforms. Instead, the ask should be to officially allow FOVs above 90 on all platforms. And I do understand why higher FOVs are desirable for accessibility reasons, on top of the advantages higher FOVs can provide.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
To anyone thinking this is being done for competitive reasons.

That is an excuse that is full of crap. An invalid reasoning and decision made by someone with a lack of empathy towards their players. Competitive advantage is not a thing. Bad cultural and excluding mindset are.

The amount of times I've had to have these arguments especially with level artists and 3d artists because apparently their work would look bad or distorted at higher FOV is beyond belief.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
Because low FoV makes people motion makes people sick

Because if people have large enough monitors close enough to their eyes they can feel motion sickness and increasing the FOV can help with that.

Right thanks for the responses. I assume that even though they they could fix the title itself to reduce motion sickness, it is more the position of where the camera is vs the players perspective that causes the motion sickness?

Oct 25, 2017

That is an excuse that is full of crap. An invalid reasoning and decision made by someone with a lack of empathy towards their players. Competitive advantage is not a thing. Bad cultural and excluding mindset are.

The amount of times I've had to have these arguments especially with level artists and 3d artists because apparently their work would look bad or distorted at higher FOV is beyond belief.
A million times this.

SoT is really heavy on the motion sickness and the in-game slider is no where near enough for my monitor setup. It pretty much forces me to play with gamepad and sit further away from my screen if I enjoy not throwing up. Competitive advantage my ass.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the problem is performance, then they should find another way to make the option officially available for players on every platform.

If accessibility is what you have to sacrifice, something is wrong.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

But the fisheye! /s (except not because I've been in those exact same arguments)

Yes, accessibility should always win. And Rare has generally made great strides in terms of accessibility with SoT, so I'm interested to see what they do here. There are potentially reasons beyond just caring about the art that they may need to consider, especially in terms of performance. However, there are numerous ways to creatively solve this though...IF it is an issue.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I play sea of thieves multiplayer with my son in the same room. I'm on the PC and he's on the OG XboxOne. Even with the default FOV settings, the difference in FOV between PC and Xbox is night and day. I find the Xbox one unplayable after getting accustomed to the PC settings. I don't understand why Rare would feel the nees to stop players from increasing it, it's not like the PC hasn't got a massive advantage already anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
Hadn't really heard of people getting motion sick from games that support up to 90 FOV. Most games that seem to have to the issue are in the 60-70 range, sometimes less.