• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Translated by reddit user u/Zelda_2017.

It will be possible to get resurrected at the place where one died via the "Kaisei" system (respawn), but will there be any penalty?

We haven't included major penalties in the Kaisei system itself. This game is an extremely difficult one. In the fights between ninjas as we imagine it, there will always be the risk of death and players will be sitting at the edge of their seat each time and go from one thrilling fight to the next, so in order to realize this, we ended with a game in which players die a lot (laughs). If you die too often, the tempo of the game gets bad. Because you cannot maintain an appropriate tempo if players have to restart on and on, so in order to realize both ninja fights that will have you sit at the edge or your seat and a game with a pleasant tempo, we have introduced the Kaisei system which allows to restart on the spot where you died.

It goes without saying that there is no tension if you can respawn as much as you want, so we've set a certain limit to the number of times you can respawn by making players use a certain amount of resources to do so, you also won't be able to respawn for a certain time right after you respawned, so for example, even if you still have Kaisei points left, you won't be allowed to keep dying at the same place. So in this sense, we've been careful not to let the game become meaningless by using Kaisei at will. We actually use that system to our advantage, and it gives us an excuse: we've given you the Kaisei system, so we're allowed to make the game difficult, amirite? (laugh)
Will the ending change depending on the conditions as in previous games?
Yes, SEKIRO has multiple endings. It is like in previous games if you want, but this time it's even more rooted in the story.
Will there be anything to look forward to in the second run?
Yes, we have included replay value and each run through will get harder.

Some possible spoiler info-
Regarding the sword "Fushi-giri", of course it will be possible to fight using it, but it will more act as a key item from a narrative point of view. SEKIRO itself has two character variations, the basic sword skills and the skills. Then for the show-off and surprising effect, the players will be able to choose variations using the prostethic arm.

More at the link- https://www.reddit.com/r/Sekiro/comments/albvoh/tapei_gameshow_2019_hidetaka_miyazaki_interview/

Original Source

Last edited:
May 5, 2018
With multiple endings it makes me wonder how long an average play through of Sekiro is. Game is sounding super promising though.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Glad I posted this in the are you worried thread. Hopefully more people see it now that it has its own.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm glad to hear the difficulty is still there but it still seems a bit too casual in terms of the revive mechanic...why not just have a bonfire outside the boss fight and let players respawn there?...it would alleviate a lot of the frustration of having to replay some or all of the level

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds good. They tuned the respawn system so that it doesn't become overdone like Bioshock chambers.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
I'm glad to hear the difficulty is still there but it still seems a bit too casual in terms of the revive mechanic...why not just have a bonfire outside the boss fight and let players respawn there?...it would alleviate a lot of the frustration of having to replay some or all of the level

Because the difficulty is supposed to come from more than just the bosses.

From the sound of things when doing their playtesting there were more deaths than maybe then the other Souls games, so they introduced the revive, but there are also restrictions in place on it.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Because the difficulty is supposed to come from more than just the bosses.

From the sound of things when doing their playtesting there were more deaths than maybe then the other Souls games, so they introduced the revive, but there are also restrictions in place on it.

adding more bonfires throughout the map would alleviate the issue...I don't want to get revived mid-fight...that seems like a cheat

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I generally don't like it when games have multiple endings, but if it's fairly minimal like in Bloodborne I'm okay with that.

dred

Oct 27, 2017
So if you respawn after dying at a boss for instance, I assume the fight starts over? If so that sounds fine.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
This game is an extremely difficult one. there will always be the risk of death and players will be sitting at the edge of their seat each time and go from one thrilling fight to the next, so in order to realize this, we ended with a game in which players die a lot

th

Last edited:

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
adding more bonfires throughout the map would alleviate the issue...I don't want to get revived mid-fight...that seems like a cheat

He's saying dying often would reduce the tempo so they opted for an instant revive.

Again there are supposed to be restrictions to the revive, you can't spam it, so there's arguably less of a safety net than just littering bonfires everywhere.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
He's saying dying often would reduce the tempo so they opted for an instant revive.

Again there are supposed to be restrictions to the revive, you can't spam it, so there's arguably less of a safety net than just littering bonfires everywhere.

if dying reduced the tempo then why wasn't that a concern in the Dark Souls or Bloodborne games?...I'm sure people died just as much in those games...again I'm sure the game will be great but I think they are trying to appeal to a wider audience so you need to make it a bit easier for newcomers to get into

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This:
Miyazaki said:
It goes without saying that there is no tension if you can respawn as much as you want,
Seems like it's actually debatable. There are plenty of games with infinite respawns that can provide tension. Super Meat Boy and Bayonetta come to mind. They just amplify the tension by making you want to perfect your run.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of people that equate difficulty to quality is ridiculous. I may just pass on this because im not here for ridiculously difficult games with no option of help. Making an overtly hard game and taking out all online just ruins the game

I'm still mad that they wasted the "Shadows Die Twice" subtitle now. It'd be the perfect subtitle for a remaster.

Probably 50-60hs like Dark Souls 3 or BB
Average BB and DS3 playthrough is 30-40, lmao

Deleted member 38227

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 12, 2018
''This game is an extremely difficult one ''

All I wanted to hear.
I'm out. I was really hyped for this game until I saw some of the video and read the GI magazine article. I platted Bloodborne, but couldn't beat any of the DS games, so I think it's time to throw in the towel on these games. :-(

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
This:

Seems like it's actually debatable. There are plenty of games with infinite respawns that can provide tension. Super Meat Boy and Bayonetta come to mind. They just amplify the tension by making you want to perfect your run.

Well (fortunately) Souls doesn't have a level rank feature.

if dying reduced the tempo then why wasn't that a concern in the Dark Souls or Bloodborne games?...I'm sure people died just as much in those games...again I'm sure the game will be great but I think they are trying to appeal to a wider audience so you need to make it a bit easier for newcomers to get into

Because it could be that during testing there might have been more deaths than the average Souls? And this seems to be a more faster paced game than the others.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The amount of people that equate difficulty to quality is ridiculous. I may just pass on this because im not here for ridiculously difficult games with no option of help. Making an overtly hard game and taking out all online just ruins the game

Not if you suck 😎

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

These games are not difficult if you are willing to learn enemy movements and familiarize yourself with the gameplay mechanics.

Oct 25, 2017
Souls games already have a slower tempo than what they're going for here, I'd guess.

Also, in Souls, dying and playing through the same area multiple times gains you more souls (if you recover your stain successfully) so it's not a total waste of time. Sekiro doesn't have exp points.

Oct 25, 2017

Not being sure whether I was skilled enough to overcome the challenge was a huge draw for me in the Souls games. One that diminished significantly with each entry as I became more and more accustomed to what a Souls game is like. Sekiro sounds like it might recapture that feeling for Souls veterans. Making it hard is a valid design choice and possibly essential to the experience they are trying to give the player.

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
It goes without saying that there is no tension if you can respawn as much as you want

Yeeeeah gonna have to disagree with you on that one chief.

Replaying 30 minutes of something over and over again when you only need access to the last part of it is unnecessary and doesn't respect my (limited) time.

Oct 25, 2017

Replaying 30 minutes of something over and over again when you only need access to the last part of it is unnecessary and doesn't respect my (limited) time.
I fully agree with that sentiment but Souls games rarely (probably never) require anywhere near that length of replaying. I doubt they'll mess up Sekiro by having you waste 30 min at a time.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I fully agree with that sentiment but Souls games rarely (probably never) require anywhere near that length of replaying. I doubt they'll mess up Sekiro by having you waste 30 min at a time.
Especially with how incredibly fast you move in the game, it's a lot easier to run through the level than it is in souls.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
The amount of people that equate difficulty to quality is ridiculous[/B]. I may just pass on this because im not here for ridiculously difficult games with no option of help. Making an overtly hard game and taking out all online just ruins the game

Who's equating difficulty with quality? We want the game to be difficult but we know from experience that From software is very good at making Hard but Fair games. That's why are happy.

There's a lot of games that handle hard difficulty pretty poorly. We celebrate From's commitment to actually putting some thought into what makes a game difficult and how difficulty enhances our playing experience.

Doorakz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excited for this game to come out....but I'm still working through Nioh! Hoping to finish it before this game comes out.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I will try it (maybe) but i think as the souls games, is not for me.
Some of the gameplay looks awesome

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017

Theyve always made difficult games and this one just happens to be harder according to their internal testing. So they gave players a way to make things easier with the instant respawn mechanic. There are also NPCs throughout the world who can help you fight battles but they're one off and will be gone if they die in battle. So yes, there are options for help built into the game mechanics and through NPCs in the world.

Also...let's just ignore the thousands of difficult games released without MP that are considered great.

You're misinterpreting what he's saying. The limited respawn he's talking about is talking about the new instant respawn mechanic the game has which is meant to help quell your feelings of "disrespected time" If you have a respawn stocked you can pop it right then and there and continue fighting whatever killed you, but those respawns are limited so you cant just use them all willy nilly. In a game like this which is supposedly more difficult than previous Souls games which would respect youre time more, dying to an enemy respawning at a bonfire and having to run back to said enemy and fight them again from full health, or just respawning at the moment you died and picking up where yo left off? I mean just read what he's saying folks it's not that hard.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not being sure whether I was skilled enough to overcome the challenge was a huge draw for me in the Souls games. One that diminished significantly with each entry as I became more and more accustomed to what a Souls game is like. Sekiro sounds like it might recapture that feeling for Souls veterans. Making it hard is a valid design choice and possibly essential to the experience they are trying to give the player.
And for some people thats good, but taking out online summoning legitimately ruins many people's chances with doing anything

Taking out online only hurts

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Worth noting that the difficulty will still probably center around knowledge.

The demo boss was demolishing people, but there's already a run out there of somebody beating her in a few minutes with no damage. This player knew that there were certain moments where you could take an entire health bar off of her in a single hit, as long as you knew what to do.

Reflexes will probably still play a big role, but I don't expect excruciating difficulty once you get used to the flow of things.

Oct 27, 2017

In every Souls game (and probably this one too, even if it's not properly Souls) knowing the path to the boss and easily going back to retry when you die takes less than a minute, avoiding all enemies.

Besides, exploring the levels you unlock shortcuts that connect the several bonfires that seem to be so far away at first. Sekiro has a similar level design in exploration with increased mobilty thanks to the grappling hook.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Theyve always made difficult games and this one just happens to be harder according to their internal testing. So they gave players a way to make things easier with the instant respawn mechanic. There are also NPCs throughout the world who can help you fight battles but they're one off and will be gone if they die in battle. So yes, there are options for help built into the game mechanics and through NPCs in the world.

Also...let's just ignore the thousands of difficult games released without MP that are considered great.

You're misinterpreting what he's saying. The limited respawn he's talking about is talking about the new instant respawn mechanic the game has which is meant to help quell your feelings of "disrespected time" If you have a respawn stocked you can pop it right then and there and continue fighting whatever killed you, but those respawns are limited so you cant just use them all willy nilly. In a game like this which is supposedly more difficult than previous Souls games which would respect youre time more, dying to an enemy respawning at a bonfire and having to run back to said enemy and fight them again from full health, or just respawning at the moment you died and picking up where yo left off. I mean just read what he's saying folks it's not that hard.
What i said above, and what other difficult games lol? Old games that had cheats dont count