• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
I was originally going to post something on what PC Games was referring to, but the little known Fandom Wikia page has a rather extensive write up on Serious Sam 4, including screenshots. PC/Mac only so far.

More can be found here, its well worth the read: http://fandom.wikia.com/articles/serious-sam-4-planet-badass-details

AAAHHH yourself if old.

EXCERPTS:
Of all the cool details we've learned about Planet Badass what we're most excited about is the fact that there will be hundreds of thousands of enemies on-screen at once.

Not "thousands," which may be the level of craziness you'd expect from the franchise. "Hundreds of thousands" was the term used, and the developers do mean that literally.
There will definitely be co-op, fans will be happy to hear. You and a friend can roam the incredibly large maps together, looking for secret areas, tackling quests, and circle-strafing your way to victory.

Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass features huge levels, and Croteam believes the wide open spaces are a pillar of the franchise. It's not an open world, but it does kind of act like one. There's a lot of exploration, side quests with NPCs, and tackling objectives in whatever order you like. We're told a level will be 80×80 miles.
All things considered, Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass is shaping up to be very much what we'd expect from Serious Sam, but cranked up to eleven. We didn't expect to see anywhere near the amount of enemies on-screen as Croteam is boasting, and the levels are also significantly larger than usual. Time will tell if it'll all run well, and how co-op will affect that.
SCREENS: (Warning: Low res, may be taken from video streams, not the video down below)

ab6ef8aa-0a85-478f-9134-3f589c3bc93f

5e949106-19d2-4120-bad8-f5880817c9d9

4474eb17-d069-45bf-90bf-a607477a224a

7984921b-0ce9-4c9c-bfd3-9cba079bf5ce

c502c6dd-1db3-4e88-80c1-1c7a6dada6a6

d56f0acd-c423-4120-bc40-6dde3398df53

VIDEO: (Shows off pre-alpha gameplay clips)

TRIVIA:
  • Previously, the PS2 game Demon Chaos/Ikusagami boasted about having 65.000 enemies on screen, Sam 4 is definitely pushing that mark way up.
  • Game looks a lot like BFE, with some improvements here and there. What seems to be more impressive is that they are pushing Serious Sam 3 visual fidelity with 100k enemies and 80x80 miles big landscapes, which is nothing short of badass if you ask me. Especially the enemy count on-screen all moving independently seems like a CPU killer, but who knows, Demon Chaos did it through the VU unit of the PS2, maybe Croteam found a way to generate that many enemies without frying processors over it.
EDIT: more gameplay: original source video, sorry for low fi one!

Last edited:

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGHHHRHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGHHRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
Why graphic looks so dated for some reason :(

This is very different from trailer.

Coreda

SVG Wizard
Oct 26, 2017
Seems like a game where opting for less realistic styling (monsters aside) would help reduce the effect of the lower graphic settings.

In motion though it presents a bit better.

OP
OP
Redneckerz
Why graphic looks so dated for some reason :(

This is very different from trailer.
100k enemies and screens are clearly from a video stream, the actual video actually looks quite alright for the kind of open space Serious Sam 4 is going for.
Also, 100.000 enemies. Demon Chaos also had huge open spaces with low res textures just to accomodate all these enemies. The fact Serious Sam 4 looks like a slightly improved SS3 with this kind of amount of enemies is quite impressive, but if they are using PBR, then i am not seeing it. (They do use Photogrammetry though)

This is mentioned in the OP though.

Graphics quality is set to low.
Low-fi screens. They were downscaled originally so i removed the scaler to reveal the original picture. Its still low res, but its the best i could do :/

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
I may be old fashioned, but I always fancied a comma instead of a full-stop when delineating additional zeroes. '100.000' just looks wrong compared to '100,000'?

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
Low-fi screens. They were downscaled originally so i removed the scaler to reveal the original picture. Its still low res, but its the best i could do :/

I mean Graphics Quality preset, not image quality. For example, IIRC Serious Sam games disable dead enemies shadows under medium quality (and this video has no shadows on dead enemies). Serious Sam 3 has amazing graphics and I'm pretty sure SS4 will be better, not way worse like that footage shows.

14-big-serious-sam-3.jpg

p1_2027087_21e91b38.jpg

bb64192096f15e135a79fe0c4ca924b7.jpg

2011-12-03_00018.jpg

Serious-Sam-3-42.jpg

17-big-serious-sam-3.jpg

I may be old fashioned, but I always fancied a comma instead of a full-stop when delineating additional zeroes. '100.000' just looks wrong compared to '100,000'?

http://www.statisticalconsultants.co.nz/blog/how-the-world-separates-its-decimals.html

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Still don't understand why they showed a teaser trailer months ago, told us to wait for E3 to show nothing...

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
How many?

Aaaaaaaaah.

*Explodes*

Can't wait to play this, and reminds me to try the new new builds of the 3 games in the new packaged version.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
My problem with graphics has more to do with art direction than actual quality. The screens look a bit off. I guess they are going for a more realistic look but it kinda looks bad.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
100k enemies screaming AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH when coming your way is going to be amazing

Which reminds me, I need to buy the v r games

OP
OP
Redneckerz

100 to 3 decimal places... isn't very impressive number...

100,000 is.

Using . instead of , is very very very wrong in this instance
As it has been proven, its not, and atleast here, we use dots and comma's interchangeably.

Full clarity: I originally was going to write 100k but then i imagined people would take a stance as you could explain that as a monetary value (which this isnt). So..
Lets focus on the content! :)

I mean Graphics Quality preset, not image quality. For example, IIRC Serious Sam games disable dead enemies shadows under medium quality (and this video has no shadows on dead enemies). Serious Sam 3 has amazing graphics and I'm pretty sure SS4 will be better, not way worse like that footage shows.

14-big-serious-sam-3.jpg

p1_2027087_21e91b38.jpg

bb64192096f15e135a79fe0c4ca924b7.jpg

2011-12-03_00018.jpg

Serious-Sam-3-42.jpg

17-big-serious-sam-3.jpg

http://www.statisticalconsultants.co.nz/blog/how-the-world-separates-its-decimals.html
I dont think these shots are represenative either since even the X360 port of BFE looks better :)

I'm British and have never really noticed it. Today I learned
Lol i just asked a staff member to change it 100,000, the heck XD

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
is it really 100k ????

Well, that's explained a lot. I watch the quick scroll down video on public with no sound so i may miss something like this lol.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Controversial opinion :
I hope Croteam does a better job of making encounters manageable. In all the games, I found myself dying in ways that I found cheap. SS4 should really take some cues from Painkiller.

OP
OP
Redneckerz
sorry cant watch the video yet but what platforms is the game coming to?
They originally said PC/PS4/XBO but the Fandom only mentions PC/Mac (Which is in the OP).
I reckon that if it does consoles (Croteam usually does these with little fanfare) i reckon the 100k enemy count wont hold up, unless they found a clever way of generating that much walking NPC's without totally melting the consoles.

Screenshot of 100k enemies?!
The last one shows a bit, but the interactive website at SeriousSam.com gives you a better idea of how much 100k enemies is.
Funny: You can shoot the birds down, after 3 birds your screen will get overwhelmed with birds up close. Neat.

DouglasteR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sam is slowly, but surely, morphing into Duke Nukem.

Just one hair color away.

The GFX looks incredible ! Can't wait to play it in VR.

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I don't know how I feel about vehicles in a Serious Sam FPS, but I really like the visuals and the idea of huge scale battles, even bigger than the previous games.

OP
OP
Redneckerz
100k is a lot, and would explain the dated looking graphics.
Well, it will look better (Most of these shots dont feature their baked global illumination tech yet, but yeah, 100k is Serious. I can't think of a name other than Demon Chaos that would throw this many enemies on-screen at once (Primarily since each of these needs to exhibit AI routines and what not). So i wonder how they will pull this off. They said that they currently have 50k enemies running (literally) and will go to 100k before shipping.

I don't know how I feel about vehicles in a Serious Sam FPS, but I really like the visuals and the idea of huge scale battles, even bigger than the previous games.
Sam seriously is taking some hints from Duke Nukem on a bike or the old Redneck Rampage titles.

You know what is damn ironic? The bike Sam is on, is an Indian motorcycle. I can't help but think this is an unintended (And most likely coincidental) wink towards the Cyberpunk 2077 thread of yesterday where the OP was disappointed that the cab driver was in fact, an Indian.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, not sure this is really the direction I'd want from SS. I know the series is all about large rooms with lots of enemies, but I always liked the levels in the first game more that took a bit more influence from games like Doom and made things tighter.

100k sounds like a lot of strafing while holding M1.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully better than SS3. Loved every single one and played it in coop, but we had no interest in the game anymore after 30 minutes. Please be more like the old one and not Call-of-Sam :(

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
It's a [Continental] European thing.

This game looks really interesting. Graphics look kinda gross, but the enemy count is literally something I cannot even imagine, lol. Interested to see how it turns out.