• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 30, 2017

*Disclaimer*

Some of the footage is new. Character models have changed and there is footage of Ryo talking to the little girl we saw in screenshots. Her face is also animated. Yes, most of this footage was seen a couple months ago.

The owner of the old Shenmue 3 screenshots thread requested we move to a new thread.

This video is graciously borrowed from Shenmue Dojo.

cPAxFjc.png

Shenhua coming together nicely.

Ryo still in need of head enlarging surgery.

Last edited:

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Footage starts at 2:16. Anyways, the game looks way better than before and i'm glad it got delayed too
Let them take their time and yeah before anyone starts complaining "again" this is not a AAA title so relax

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why does every piece of footage they release gives the impression that they haven't really advanced development?

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
2:16 people.

I so hope they spend the next year making kickass animations for all the stuff seen here, that alone would improve everything so much :o)

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
I refuse to believe money is the issue anymore. THQ dedicated a nice amount of time to the game, and we all know they're doing very well right now

halfjoey

Nov 26, 2017
I don't mind the stuff faces because that's what the first two Shenmue games were like and I didn't expect anything totally different.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I'm sorry but this still looks bad to me. Specifically the characters and animations.

Last edited:

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why does every piece of footage they release gives the impression that they haven't really advanced development?
It's like they keep remaking the same scene over and over again.

Looks really bad to me. To much bloom, bad animations, bad texture work, lifeless face expressions, etc....

Ahasverus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colombia
Much better now.

Look, it doesn't look /good/, but this is what happens when an "old glory" who lost their state of the art knowledge comes back. Happens to Yu, happens to IGA, happens to everyone. Their games look like they missed a Gen or two.

At least it's happening

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
My takes:

Shenhua looks great.

The animation for the little girl is really bad, but I'm guessing it's the same animation journalists saw several months ago.

Ryo desperately needs a bigger head.

Lighting still looks really overdone.

How much time and money have they spent modeling these characters?

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't new footage, apart from some new angles, none of this is new. Probably just a video package for the investors.

And gotta love all this negativity lol

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
Yeah alright, my hopes are pretty much through the floor now. Animation is terrible, it feels like a mish-mash of assets (Ryo has a different face in like 3 different clips they decided to jam together), and it just has a horrible student project 'My First Unreal Adventure' feel to it.

I backed for $140 and I really wish at this point they'd just made a game with the Dreamcast assets. In many strange ways the HD release is going to look better and more cohesive than wherever this is at next year (It should honestly be 2020 if this is the best they can muster up currently, but I don't think time is the real problem).

Falk

Oct 26, 2017
yqlnZh4.png

(Honestly looks fine to me, - not like luxurious AAA but kind of expected given the scope of the project. Only thing that really bugs me is the overbearing motion blur)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hasn't most of this footage been shown before?

You'd wish they'd show more of the game after announcing a nebulous 2019 delay. I still don't feel like I've seen anything resembling a game.

OP
OP
bell wood's jet cola
Oct 30, 2017
Shown behind closed doors perhaps. Ryo's interaction with the girl hasn't been seen publicly as far as I'm aware. This is clearly very limited footage, but it's what they must've felt was ready to be shown so. There is no question the character models have changed significantly since we last saw them, especially Shenhua.

Battlehenkie

Mar 7, 2018
The video isn't new footage. I'm glad Shenmue 3 is happening and that I finally get to play it, but man does it look rough.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I feel like there's a lot of hyperbole in the negativity here. No clue if the game is going to be good or not but these kinds of responses are why developers don't show WIP because people fail to realize it's WIP and treat things as if it's on store shelves.

I've seen a lot worse from finished products for what it's worth.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My biggest gripe is Ryo's face to be honest. Fix that and I have no complaints from what I have seen.

If his face is the result of them trying to use his Dreamcast face but HD then just change it. It doesn't matter as long as it looks good.

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
Ryo desperately needs a bigger head.

This!!!

I don't get it... but, maybe that is just because I never played the originals... The game just looks way too much like a PS2/early PS3 game for my tastes. The only thing that has peaked my interest is the hype surrounding this game due to the historical significance of the franchise. But, I think that they really should not show off any more of the game until they are further along as I don't think that footage such as this does the game any favors.