• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Shenmue III is the kind of game I would buy if it was exclusive to Stadia which I'm pretty dead set against buying. Doesn't matter who announced it, it was a magical moment.

YS Net owns the trademark to the game, so it's their choice where it goes. As I posted before I personally doubt they're spending any of the budget being used to make the game the best it can be, on a port which does nothing but adds another layer of responsibility to a pretty small team making an ambitious game for their size. The only way I see it being possible to launch this on Xbox the same day as PS4/PC is if someone came in and supported an Xbox port with their own money. Aside from that, there's little to suggest it's anything like the Crash situation all over again considering how Crash Bandicoot is wholly owned by Activision and the Shenmue III trademark is owned by the independent studio that's making the game. It's possible but it's not certain.

It won't be coming out same day on Xbox. But it's coming to Xbox

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
There was no way this wasn't hitting Xbox. It was never announced as a ps4 exclusive either.

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Great news. Played the first two games on OG Xbox, so it makes sense to continue on Xbox One. Hoping for X enhancements too!

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Sony need to stop their shite when it comes to stuff like this. I'm sure the Diablo deal was similar. Do marketing deals and stuff but these top secret don't mention the other version things need to stop.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
I would love for this to happen just because I want it to be available to as many people as possible.

Buuuuut beyond that I really want people to stop assuming it is a Sony funded game and this would obviously do that. So many people even now act like every party involved had some slimey scheme with this title and it just was never the case.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
If this doesn't turn out to be true I wonder what they are waiting for, since Deep Silver is publishing it and Sony didn't fund it, right? However, the studio of Yu isn't really that big, so that could be the reason too. Just like how some indie games still skip Xbox (at first) because they can only commit to one or two platforms first.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It won't be coming out same day on Xbox. But it's coming to Xbox
See... we can't even 100% rule out it coming out on the same day, but here you are. You might as well leverage that sane degree of certainty for any game you want to come across from PS4. Look at the people who think Death Stranding is coming to PC for example, because they think they have something figured out. Doesn't make anything certain.

If this doesn't turn out to be true I wonder what they are waiting for, since Deep Silver is publishing it and Sony didn't fund it, right? However, the studio of Yu isn't really that big, so that could be the reason too. Just like how some indie games still skip Xbox (at first) because they can only commit to one or two platforms first.
YS Net owns the game's trademark, so it's up to them to choose as far as I can tell.

If it doesn't end up being true, I can see no situation where YS Net is going to spend time on a port when they could be preparing for the sequel. Like you said, small studio. A port could be supported by another publisher/studio though.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I really hope Shenmue III comes to Xbox. The franchise is deeply tied to the platform, I was really disappointed Xbox was skipped in the 2015 announcement and even more so when the Shenmue I & II remakes then did release on Xbox. There are way too many timed exclusive deals these days but we should criticize it left and right and not selectively.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
I really hope Shenmue III comes to Xbox. The franchise is deeply tied to the platform, I was really disappointed Xbox was skipped in the 2015 announcement and even more so when the Shenmue I & II remakes then did release on Xbox. There are way too many timed exclusive deals these days but we should criticize it left and right and not selectively.

The fact that 1 & 2 got Xbox versions, has nothing to do with 3 getting an Xbox version or not, that's down to Y's and Deep Silver. Sega licensed the IP to Yu Suzuki and have no control over it for this release, or how it's marketed.

In any case, it should release on every platform possible, because us fans need to see this saga complete, and every little bit helps.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
This. My brother played the first 2 games on OG Xbox and I'm sure he'll be happy to play this on Xbox One too.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Sony didn't fund it. Actually their contribution was minimal (save for giving them spotlight at E3 and promising marketing they never delivered). But I guess YsNet is still tied to exclusivity in some form. As for why it's not happening: Porting costs money. YsNet is a small studio. And Deep Silver might not foot the bill yet for more platforms. We have yet to see. But I wouldn't expect it.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
The Xbox One got the first 2 games alongside PC and PS4, it would be irrelevant not to release the third one on it.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Also, if this's true, I hope they allow those of us who backed the Kickstarter to change the platform. I chose a PS4 version back then, but still haven't picked one up yet, so being able to hold off purchasing one for a bit longer would be great.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
See... we can't even 100% rule out it coming out on the same day, but here you are. You might as well leverage that sane degree of certainty for any game you want to come across from PS4. Look at the people who think Death Stranding is coming to PC for example, because they think they have something figured out. Doesn't make anything certain.

YS Net owns the game's trademark, so it's up to them to choose as far as I can tell.

If it doesn't end up being true, I can see no situation where YS Net is going to spend time on a port when they could be preparing for the sequel. Like you said, small studio. A port could be supported by another publisher/studio though.
Sony didn't fund it. Actually their contribution was minimal (save for giving them spotlight at E3 and promising marketing they never delivered). But I guess YsNet is still tied to exclusivity in some form. As for why it's not happening: Porting costs money. YsNet is a small studio. And Deep Silver might not foot the bill yet for more platforms. We have yet to see. But I wouldn't expect it.

I see. Time will tell. Sunday will tell us if this is just some code or if it's legit happening. Really, really hope so, because I don't have a PS4 and I don't intend to get one anymore either. Not a year before PS5 comes.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
This. My brother played the first 2 games on OG Xbox and I'm sure he'll be happy to play this on Xbox One too.

The first game wasn't released on the OG Xbox. It was a DVD packed in with the second game.

Surprisingly got a decent price for my copy of it on eBay when I knew the HD set was coming out.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Back to the Xbox where is started, good news if it pans out. The more platforms the better, I wish this IP all the success it can get.

Oct 30, 2017
That's more of an issue with Limited Run Games, though. I don't know how their business works, but they arrange their own perks outside the scope of whatever the publisher is directly doing.

Oct 30, 2017
I assume there will be more than 5,000 of the European CE as well. Is America even getting a crack at what you're getting in Europe?

I am not really a fan of this collectors' edition chaos. It's crazy such a niche game is getting so many SKUs. What the hell is up with that? Is Deep Silver cracked?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I assume there will be more than 5,000 of the European CE as well. Is America even getting a crack at what you're getting in Europe?

I am not really a fan of this collectors' edition chaos. It's crazy such a niche game is getting so many SKUs. What the hell is up with that? Is Deep Silver cracked?
Seems like I was mistaken. The CE for America doesn't exist outside of Limited Run. I was thinking of the exclusive Best Buy steelbook which comes with the regular edition.

Oct 30, 2017
It's still ridiculous. I can't understand how Shenmue 3 is such a hot franchise that it merits 550 different editions. I mean it's that popular in my own head, but in the real world?