• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Wouldn't jump the gun on this, but holy shit if true. That's quite the get for Xbox at E3. I have no idea why Deep Silver would sign a global publishing deal exclusively for PS4 and PC, and not XB1 if it were actually landing there on day one. Seems like if it were going to happen, Deep Silver would have signed an agreement for all platforms. Maybe it has a different publisher for XB1.

What is Ultima? E3 of dreams was the impact of the moment. Knowing this shit was happening after many years of hope and constant speculation each year. Nothing is confirmed as of yet anyway.

Or... it simply wasn't in development or planned for Xbox at all until recently, if this is actually true. Didn't Yu say he spoke to all platform holders and only Sony was the one who paid interest to a proper revival? If it was clear right away, we wouldn't have had to hear things clarified multiple times.
I don't think they were planning xbox version until recently.

If square will show up at MS press conference like " FF 7 R is coming to xbox" it will be funny cuz it's not like they can backtrack "first on ps4" statement.
Back then it's likely that it was in development only for PC anyway despite the intention to launch for Ps4.

But I'm talking about an interview from Shu itself where he was asked why KS if the game had Sony backing. And he replied that Sony didn't funded the project. That the partnership was only for marketing. The KS got the exposure from being at Sony presser and Sony gained the pr for it.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Good news. This game needs to sell as much as possible. Put it on Switch too.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I genuinely think you are correct. Someone on the Dojo made a great point that there currently isn't room for three platform buttons, and you would think there would be Xbox box art in the photo.
Yeah, it's probably a mistake. Probably forgot that Shenmue III is skipping Xbox One unlike all other Deep Silver games and someone forgot to edit their copypasta the first time.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Back then it's likely that it was in development only for PC anyway despite the intention to launch for Ps4.

But I'm talking about an interview from Shu itself where he was asked why KS if the game had Sony backing. And he replied that Sony didn't funded the project. That the partnership was only for marketing. The KS got the exposure from being at Sony presser and Sony gained the pr for it.
Here's the interview in question:

So I want to switch gears a little bit. I want to talk to you about Shenmue and crowdfunding. That was announced onstage on Monday and it's at about $3 million now. So let me ask you: Why did Sony PlayStation decide to allow that crowdfunding announcement as opposed to funding it?

Ah, no, no, no. It's a very exciting project and there are lots of PlayStation fans asking for it. But it's a Sega IP and of course Suzuki Yu-san is the creator. So somehow Suzuki-san was able to work out with Sega to allow them to Kickstart the project. And because we liked the project, our third-party relations team struck a deal to help Kickstart the campaign at the E3 conference. That's great PR.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The Sony E3 of dreams was a sham!
They made Shenmue 3 possible by announcing the kickstarter project, witch then the backers made the game a reality. I dont call that a Sham.
As far as im aware Sony involvement with Shenmue 3 was for publishing the game on PS4, then they got Deepsilver as a publisher for PC but there was never an exclusive deal. Just a lack of publisher for other consoles. Witch aparantly has changed. In the backer questions lots of ppl asked if there was going to be an xbox version, and the answer was always "If someone publishes the game for xbox then yes"

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
I don't think they were planning xbox version until recently.

If square will show up at MS press conference like " FF 7 R is coming to xbox" it will be funny cuz it's not like they can backtrack "first on ps4" statement.

I think this is a mistake but since it's delayed who knows. It's worth to note Shenmue never had any tag on it like FFVII so I'm not sure why people are comparing the two. Different situations.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I can tell you 100% that's not happening. As for Shenmue, I think this is a mistake as I haven't heard of an X1 version either but since it's delayed who knows. It's worth to note Shenmue never had any tag on it like FFVII so I'm not sure why people are comparing the two. Different situations. VII has a contract.

Shouldn't you get Verified first before making statements like these?

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I'd buy it on Xbox, yeah. Would've gotten the remaster of the originals on Xbox to game share with my partner, and then woulda awkwardly copped 3 on PS4 just for myself.

Oct 28, 2017
I had the HD versions in my had yesterday and put them down since I already own the game on PS4. I will just but this game twice it seems.

Even after 4 years, I can't believe Shenmue 3 is coming!

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
When it was first announced Adam Boyes specifically said it was their own project but Sony got the announcement for their conference. Always assumed it was coming to all platforms.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
I'd be happily surprised if it is coming to Xbox. Sounded like it would be console exclusive to PS4 since the announcement.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
I'd be happily surprised if it is coming to Xbox. Sounded like it would be console exclusive to PS4 since the announcement.

Never was. Shenmue never had any console exclusivity label like VII. It was always more a celebrating the moment with PS first. Not to mention the remasters are on X1 as well. I don't know if any of this is valid or not but considering it's delayed, who knows. Maybe they added X1.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FUK YES

Phil making it rain (when he went to Japan) lol

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Just so people are aware, the trademark for "Shenmue III" is owned by YS Net so unless something has changed they are fully responsible for making the decision for where the game goes other than PC/PS4. Personally I can't imagine that their priority has been adding another platform to the mix which adds an extra layer of responsibility when they're just trying to make the game the best it can be with the limited resources they have to play with. That is unless words were had with Deep Silver about that situation and they have arranged for a separate studio to handle the port or something like that.

Elfforkusu

Oct 25, 2017
The conspiracy theory during the kickstarter campaign (happily perpetuated by gaming news sites) was that Sony was funding the game.

But that was always BS, so while this is unconfirmed, it would make a lot of sense. It would be surprising if Shenmue 3 doesn't make it to Xbox.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
well, that's one surprise from the microsoft conference ruined. never made sense for it not to come tho, specially when the HD collection came to the system.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hope this is not one of the "new" games they plan on announcing and making a big deal about.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
Hope it's true. Already have a copy for PS4 as a backer, but will happily double-dip if it comes to Xbox One.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
In the Kickstarter, back in 2015, Ys Net posted this on if the game will come to Xbox/Linux/Mac etc:

"Currently we are planning development only for PC (Windows) and PS4. Other platforms have not been decided yet."

After four years, and more funding, looks like making an Xbox version is viable.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would be fun to see Shenmue 3 + Final Fantasy 7 remake on Microsofts E3 stage.

I wonder what Ueda has been up to. Would be a great partnership for Xbox games studios.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They made Shenmue 3 possible by announcing the kickstarter project, witch then the backers made the game a reality. I dont call that a Sham.
As far as im aware Sony involvement with Shenmue 3 was for publishing the game on PS4, then they got Deepsilver as a publisher for PC but there was never an exclusive deal. Just a lack of publisher for other consoles. Witch aparantly has changed. In the backer questions lots of ppl asked if there was going to be an xbox version, and the answer was always "If someone publishes the game for xbox then yes"
I was half joking. Was sort of directed at the whole "Sony Won" ppl.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Oh and here is the FAQ on Sony's involvement, for anyone interested:

"Sony and Shibuya Productions have been wonderful partners because they believe in Shenmue and want to see the best for the fans and the game. Their investment in (and support of) Shenmue have helped to realize a sequel that will stand proud with its predecessors. While it is not business practice to discuss the specific details of such arrangements, their assistance on the production and marketing end, and in Sony's case with some publishing support, Ys Net is able to use more of the money collected through Kickstarter purely for Shenmue 3's development. It is also important to note that your funds are going strictly to Ys Net for development of Shenmue 3 – Sony and Shibuya Productions are not seeing a cent of your Kickstarter dollars. "

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
well, that's one surprise from the microsoft conference ruined. never made sense for it not to come tho, specially when the HD collection came to the system.
It made sense given the conditions of its existence and that Sega has nothing to do with this game other than providing basic support where needed. The HD games were released to make money off the upcoming sequel and their timing makes perfect sense. It would have been one hell of a surprise for MS, that's for sure.

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
I can tell you 100% that's not happening. As for Shenmue, I think this is a mistake as I haven't heard of an X1 version either but since it's delayed who knows. It's worth to note Shenmue never had any tag on it like FFVII so I'm not sure why people are comparing the two. Different situations. VII has a contract.
No "ff 7r coming to xbox" during ms press conference for sure. I think we'll see it closer to release date. SE just dropped a lot of old FF games on xbox. Holding back ff7r will be reverse of KH 3 story.
Back to topic: It's happening. Deep Silver publishing. MS helped funding xbox version.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
No "ff 7r coming to xbox" during ms press conference for sure. I think we'll see it closer to release date. SE just dropped a lot of old FF games on xbox. Holding back ff7r will be reverse of KH 3 story.
Back to topic: It's happening. Deep Silver publishing. MS helped funding xbox version.

Soeculation though, right?

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, Sony got a timed exclusive for that. It is probably going to be on the PC first before Xbox. Why are people are against 3rd partt exclusice?

Any mention of it being a PS4 timed exclusive was scrubbed from the official website when the recent trailer went up.

That deal is dead. its launching day 1 on Xbox.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
No, Sony got a timed exclusive for that. It is probably going to be on the PC first before Xbox. Why are people are against 3rd party exclusive?
I'm not against it. But do we even know the actual deal? I have no interest in FF but it seems like it'll be on Xbox too.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
It would kind of make sense for Shenmue to be available on Xbox. Shenmue 2 was only on Xbox in US. Shenmue 1&2 remaster is on Xbox. So why not, the more, the merrier. That said, I don't know how well it will sell there but as long as port costs are covered it should be fine.