• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
The larger (but still pretty compressed/low res) version of the unreleased screen from the Amazon Germany listing turned up on Amazon France:

61CZFVGaf1L._SL1000_.jpg

No idea how old the build is, but none of the other screens were any more recent than June 2018, so I won't assume this is either. Other than a bit of perspective warp on Ryo because of the camera angle or FOV settings for this shot - I think it looks great.

Super detailed environments, unique NPCs, an absolute ton of vibrant colour, that soft early evening light... Can't wait to see more at MAGIC in two weeks.

Agreed. When Cedric started teasing a contest I assumed it would probably be a trip, but a chance to play the game goes above and beyond.
Is it confirmed to be a chance to play? I assumed it was a chance to see the extended hands-off demo that I think(?) press are seeing at the event.

I mean who knows, really? Unless Yu is being strictly controlled by Deep Silver's press handlers at the event, there's probably nothing stopping him booting up his laptop and handing over the controller. He's definitely the type of guy who, if he wants you to see or try something in his game, he'll show you.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Holy shit Ryo's face on that cover looks great. I really am surprised how they turned the graphics around, the character models looked REALLY rough the first few years of development. Don't know if I will play this (only played the first one and could not get into the second one), but am happy for everyone looking forward to this.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Holy shit Ryo's face on that cover looks great. I really am surprised how they turned the graphics around, the character models looked REALLY rough the first few years of development. Don't know if I will play this (only played the first one and could not get into the second one), but am happy for everyone looking forward to this.
The sheer irony is it's an old art asset from 2017 (yes, when people tore the fuck out of the graphics).

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Original Lan Di:

181568-char_landi_shenmue.jpg

I do kind of agree that he looks weirdly younger here, but I think part of that may just be the sort of odd angle we have to look at him.

I always thought that some sort of similarity (specifically Lan Di's scar/Ryo's bandaid) was intentional. Ryo is very much on the path to perpetuating a cycle of violence and becoming like the man he hates if he doesn't come to his senses.
Christ, Shenmue is how old now? Those models were unbelievable at the time. Still hold up pretty well today.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
To be fair, it was a render from 2017, which had some issues but wasnt the ingame model that was highly criticised.
It is the same model, though. The details are the same, as are the flaws of said model.

I don't think they've ever really shown us a render that wasn't the in-game equivalent. The only difference I suppose would be extra attention paid to composing the shot and character lighting.

Oct 30, 2017
It's pretty weird they're using an old art asset. I assume the cover story is sanctioned by Deep Silver/Ys Net and will include exclusive information. That said, Ryo looks great against that gold backdrop.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
It is the same model, though. The details are the same, as are the flaws of said model.

I don't think they've ever really shown us a render that wasn't the in-game equivalent. The only difference I suppose would be extra attention paid to composing the shot and character lighting.

Not the face. The face was clearly different and the quality was clearly higher.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Well I read it, and it all sounds great. Still hard to judge without seeing actual gameplay but there's some really cool things in there.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Holy shit Ryo's face on that cover looks great. I really am surprised how they turned the graphics around, the character models looked REALLY rough the first few years of development.
Placeholder characters or unfinished characters are part and parcel of game development early on in the pipeline. Some people can't start their work, like animators, riggers or gameplay designers until they have something to work with. In lots of games early models are replaced by more polished ones given budget and time restraints.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
That article feels like it was supposed to coincide with the March 9th event. There's some story and gameplay tidbits that they'll probably show off at Monaco.

Sappharad

Oct 25, 2017
Is it confirmed to be a chance to play? I assumed it was a chance to see the extended hands-off demo that I think(?) press are seeing at the event.
Okay, interpretation issue on my part. The original tweet says you "enjoy" Shenmue 3 in the "special room". That doesn't explicitly say that you enjoy it by playing it.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Shenmue 3 details from Edge sounds really good

I haven't kept up on any of the news about Shenmue III so it's very likely this is just repeating already known info:

* Yu Suzuki is using his documents from 20 years ago that he gathered on Chinese culture in the 1980's, chinese tribes, their customs and villages, he's also traveled to the Fujian Province for direct hands-on research of the people and their lifestyle
* First two games had modern settings, this one is steeped in religion and ancient culture of China
* You start in a village called Bailu, it sounds like the start will be slow paced. People will barely talk to you and won't answer your questions because you're an outsider, there's a dialogue system and you need to complete tasks and become more known around the village before the local people will give you info. If you have Shenhua with you the villagers will be more open with you because they know and trust her.
* Each villager will have their own day-night routine just like the previous games
* Because Ryo is a city boy there's a lot of obliviousness from him and there's funny and interesting conversations because his viewpoint is so different.
* The game is more about looking inward than outward, Suzuki says he wants to look deeper into the Ryo character and we'll learn more about him.
* Same voice actor as before
* A large part of the game is the affinity system between Ryo and Shenhua and a major part of the story of the game is the relationship between the two.
* Combat system looks much smoother and is more RPG based, not just learning skills by repeating moves over and over
Attack power and stamina are the two main stats for combat, stamina is used for everything (sprinting, fighting moves) and can be restored by eating food. eating before doing something strenuous will become routine
* When training you can customize Ryo's clothes into training gear
* Training is done through mini-games, Horse Stance, One inch Punch and more, mostly rhythm based but satisfying to pull off
* Technique scrolls from 1 & 2 return as well as new ones, around 100 in total
* The intricate world building of characters being linked and having back-stories is present in 3
* There's a fight club in another city you can enter where you fight people with nicknames like "The Knee of Death" and "Mach Fist" (voiced by Chris Bellinger)
* At one point you'll have to fight multiple people in these fighting events, people who want to master the combat system will be spending a lot of time fighting in these events. All of the fighting happens in the Rose Garden and is optional.
* Controls are carried over from Shenmue 2 but with analogue stick camera improvements
* Capsule toys are back
* EDGE sound very positive on what they've seen.
* Suzuki stresses how important it is to make the game feel like a Shenmue game, modern games are more open world nowadays but he doesn't want to go that way because then it wouldn't be Shenmue

* As someone that hasn't kept up with all the news, the article made me pretty hype for the game, the screenshots make it look beautiful.

So yeah, no idea how much of that is new. Very little I suspect.