• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Still got a bone to pick with that bastard.

Looks good, but the real question is how well does that game animate. Heres hoping.

Deleted member 31247

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Still not even canned gameplay? Surely its going to be delayed again. They've still got to produce a demo version before release as well.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, the first showing for Shenmue III got a lot of very embarassing responses from people here.
That's why publishers only show vertical slices or nothing until close to launch. Ys Net doesn't have the luxury to do that and when they show work-in-progress clips then ppl bitch like they have no idea how game development works.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah from scratch. That's not a lot of time in the oven for a game of this scale.

Oh yes, we agree. I thought you were saying they had a lot of time, which they didn't.
But as for the first showing, I maintain the criticism I had back then. If faces weren't ready back then, focusing on them wasn't a great idea and the cut of the trailer was kinda bad (the longer version shown at Magic in closed door was better edited).

krg

Oct 27, 2017
How many years does a game have to be in development before you can show 20 seconds of gameplay? Its bordering on a farce.

oh yeah? how long did it take for us to see Resident Evil 2 gameplay? that's right.. we got it at E3 2018 and it got released in January this year, so I think it's a pretty similar scenario.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
How many years does a game have to be in development before you can show 20 seconds of gameplay? Its bordering on a farce.
If you aren't making this statement in bad faith, try applying the same logic to games like RE2 or MK11 that were known to be in development (open secret in MK's case) that didn't show anything until months before release.

A huge amount of bullshit goes into marketing games before they're naturally ready for it, the press conference vertical slice or whatever you want to call it. It detracts from resources and can tack months onto the eventual completion date of a game. Even big publishers are moving away from this model, to allow developers to work in peace until they're ready for a short reveal-to-release promotional cycle, like six months or so.

Shenmue III doesn't have the advantage of a huge budget and team to take them off the core game to polish a section for marketing materials. They also don't have the luxury of working in peace, and have to show WIP materials as part of the bond to Kickstarter backers. You can hopefully understand this rock and a hard place scenario, especially after the huge amount of shit Ys Net caught for showing their early pre-alpha two years ago at Gamescom.

You only get your gameplay reveal once. It was prudent for them to wait, to do it right. March is when the promotional push begins ahead of the game launching sixish months later in August, coincidentally starting with a new trailer with gameplay.

If you came here to bitch regardless, well. You're on the wrong side of the argument. The posts above make that clear.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
If you aren't making this statement in bad faith, try applying the same logic to games like RE2 or MK11 that were known to be in development (open secret in MK's case) that didn't show anything until months before release.

A huge amount of bullshit goes into marketing games before they're naturally ready for it, the press conference vertical slice or whatever you want to call it. It detracts from resources and can tack months onto the eventual completion date of a game. Even big publishers are moving away from this model, to allow developers to work in peace until they're ready for a short reveal-to-release promotional cycle, like six months or so.

Shenmue III doesn't have the advantage of a huge budget and team to take them off the core game to polish a section for marketing materials. They also don't have the luxury of working in peace, and have to show WIP materials as part of the bond to Kickstarter backers. You can hopefully understand this rock and a hard place scenario, especially after the huge amount of shit Ys Net caught for showing their early pre-alpha two years ago at Gamescom.

You only get your gameplay reveal once. It was prudent for them to wait, to do it right. March is when the promotional push begins ahead of the game launching sixish months later in August, coincidentally starting with a new trailer with gameplay.

If you came here to bitch regardless, well. You're on the wrong side of the argument. The posts above make that clear.

The worst part about all of this is that people then complain about downgrades and how "they were lied" when the publishers put money into making a great reveal trailer that gets worse visuals in the final build (Anthem, Watch Dogs, Uncharted 4).

For once, I think we should at least praise their honesty and the nice improvements shown so far.
(On top of that... yeah we're getting an extensive look at the game in 20 days...)

Andvari

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Think it looks great, Lan Di looks good and I like the colour.

Visually is more than good enough for a KS game and every time they show something there is always clear improvement, the game gets a lot of criticism and even hate which is ridiculous for a game with a budget in total of approx 15-20m dollars including the KS money.

I do expect a small delay to November or December though but I don't give a shit.

Oct 28, 2017
Lan Di isn't Ziming. He's a different character entirely, even if Chi You Men associated.

It's been 10 years since I played Shenmue II( and I wont play the HD versions until I have 3 in hand)

This is who i'm talking about. I swore (most likely incorrectly ) that the pretty confirmed this but the memory ain't what it used to be.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
It's been 10 years since I played Shenmue II( and I wont play the HD versions until I have 3 in hand)

This is who i'm talking about. I swore (most likely incorrectly ) that the pretty confirmed this but the memory ain't what it used to be.
That's Xiuying. Her brother, who went off to join the Chi You Men after their parents were killed, is Ziming.

But Ziming isn't Lan Di, that much is confirmed. A manga side-story included with the Xbox version of Shenmue II clarified this.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

We know. Lan Di is not Ziming (he's another member of the Chi You Men though, he appears in the Shenmue 2 comic as a separate character).

EDIT: Beaten by Spags.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
For once, I think we should at least praise their honesty and the nice improvements shown so far.
(On top of that... yeah we're getting an extensive look at the game in 20 days...)
I'm not sure if it was boldness or just being naive, but it was refreshingly honest for a developer to publicly show materials that accurately reflected where the game's development actually sat. It feels like the antidote to other side of the spectrum, where highly polished promotional materials are made when there's really not much game actually there (Death Stranding's earliest engine teaser).

It's been nice to watch Shenmue III progress like this over the years, instead of other games where they look roughly the same each time you see them, and eventually release with a downgrade.

Oct 28, 2017
That's Xiuying. Her brother, who went off to join the Chi You Men after their parents were killed, is Ziming.

But Ziming isn't Lan Di, that much is confirmed. A manga side-story included with the Xbox version of Shenmue II clarified this.
We know. Lan Di is not Ziming (he's another member of the Chi You Men though, he appears in the Shenmue 2 comic as a separate character).

EDIT: Beaten by Spags.

Got it. Thanks boys. I played Shenmue 2 on Dreamcast and I dont think it came with the manga. Im going to see if I can find it.

Also. I forget how much I loved Shenmue.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
I posted them on the last page, but if nobody has seen the other screens yet:

DzydC1EWwAI2OvC.jpg

DzyI21GWkAEYzLv.jpg

Something is just so fucking right about that shot with Ren.

HitMissYeah

Oct 30, 2017
No it clearly doesn't... please show comparisons from other "Photoshop work" from other series as i think you're talking absolute nonsense.
to me it clearly looks more like a character render placed in a random background than an actual in game screen shot. These typical promotion "screens". I am fine with you thinking I am talking nonsence as I think we both do not know how the game looks in terms of in game footage.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
The recent screens look great. I'm fine if they're promotional/not perfectly representative of gameplay. Very interested to see what the next trailer looks like.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Trust the process. :) This is from a Saturn-era interview, btw.
Always bet on Yu.

Bit funny looking back at early 2017 posts on the Dojo about when we'd see final graphics, feels like that was really just the end of the beginning on the journey to release. All worth it, of course. The game has grown and matured in ways beyond my expectations.

Yu's initial interviews in 2015 about compromising on graphics to help make a better overall game set my expectations modestly, but even since the 2016 prototype, in some way the visuals have spoken to something very deep down inside me - which is why I've been very forgiving of the WIP elements. Like there was something I could recognise but it hadn't quite come to the surface in myself, or the game. I think I now know what that is. Shenmue was in there all along, it just had to dig its way out over years of hard work, experience, and refinement.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
And some people actually believed that freaking Suzuki-san was going to release a scrappy half-assed amateur looking game.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017

Around this stage in development is when most games get revealed.
I hope you know when games get announced isn't when the game actually begins development , its usually years before.

For reference

Resident Evil 2 was announced to have officially started development by the devs in 2015. ( And this is possibly after a lot of development and budgeting was already done )
We didn't see any official gameplay or screenshots until E3 last year. And the game finally released about 6 months after the reveal.

Going by this timeline Shenmue 3 Kickstarter was announced at E3 2015. And only by then did they even know if the game was being made or not. Including details on the budget,publishing..etc. Shenmue 3 is about 6 months away , so its about the right time to reveal and show gameplay.

If Shenmue 3 wasn't a kickstarter game , we would have only gotten a reveal Last E3 or at TGA or something.