• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
A newly filed and published Sony Interactive Entertainment patent hints PlayStation Now, or perhaps the PlayStation 5, will support save state sharing across the PlayStation Network.

The patent explicitly describes click-to-play functionality similar to Google Stadia (xCloud is getting this too).

Filed - March 31, 2020
Published - July 17, 2020
Publication Number - 20200222802

https://patentscope.wipo.int/search/en/detail.jsf?docId=US299041392&tab=NATIONALBIBLIO

Note: This application claims priority under 35 U.S.C. § 119(e) of the U.S. Provisional Patent Application Ser. No. 62/357,114, filed Jun. 30, 2016 and titled, "PLAYSTATION NOW SHARED MOMENTS," which is hereby incorporated by reference in its entirety for all purposes.

Note #2: This might just be for Share Play and not any new feature on the PlayStation 5.

Essentially it seems to match up other patents I've seen before. Gamers can create their own custom segments of a game--think of them as gameplay slices, or save states--and share them over the PlayStation Network. Other games can click on the message and jump right into the game.

You'll essentially be able to create, edit, and share your own gameplay demos. The patent gives examples of snapping a gameplay slice of a particular level, editing it, and sharing it with friends. Anyone who clicks the link can resume your gameplay, complete with your progress, loadouts, etc.

The patent also mentions you'll be able to stream-share these clips from the cloud similar to Share Play.

(Conjecture) I believe this will fold into Sony's new DualSense Create button (which could be used to create these slices) and be a part of the PS5's new instant-access Activities section that was previously described in the now-edited GameReactor WRC-9 review. Sony has a few patents like these out in the wild now.

VIvzU774XhrrnJBQxUh5dvnCTXjKd2s4lV_mg3nrVCaU_pwSf8i1Vd3SluEd1Se8uR6YUZeF21TEl0tfHF6jZSDnMJzMRUfWcAzTIjyJ118zwGeoBjMZMvn7rrQz1HQ8eLlAFJNEZ0zK6T5mXbJO5Em2V2U62RguhmOJpVa0DiIrk5kyq8HydajG18YX1x0t

FIG. 4 shows an exemplary screenshot of a contact receiving a notification of shared content according to some embodiments.[/TD]

LGhSOH3.png

FIG. 3 shows an exemplary screenshot of contacts to share content according to some embodiments. The user is able to share the playable video game clip with any of his contacts. The user is able to share the video game with more than just contacts as well such as with the community or an activity feed. For example, the user is able to select to share the video with a friend with the username "Shiggy."

VbSLmA9XjPAxfm-EXU1mnO39kNjF23DcaCxGv2Q2JtQlofdsZ4vD75iBhoTsYrydC44buHwi1RNyK--Jw3iwB-HcV4cFkyoboXza_W62ZU5NUyKFdawYNjPB42zu5GdDb-yp2HUCfcvzMN34cziK10BA_44h0C5ulavlN-oyZhjxfG_tdZHwNuzA8-wBv2B3

FIG. 1 shows an exemplary screenshot of a game according to some embodiments. In the example, a user plays a jetpack scene/level of a game which the user considered to be very exciting. The user selects share (e.g., by pressing a "share" button on a device, using a "share" voice command, selecting "share" on the screen) to share the jetpack scene/level with other users.

Here's the main claims of the patent:

Sharing video game content without the video game content offering interactivity is a significant issue for the gaming community. If users receive a video of another gamer playing a video game, they may watch the video game segment and provide a comment, but the sharing and interaction is very limited. However, by providing the shared users the ability to play the video game at the video game segment which is shared increases the sharing interactivity dramatically. For example, a first user plays a video game, and shares a video game segment (e.g., playing Level X of Game Z) with his friends.

With interactive sharing, each of the friends is then able to play the video game segment as well, and possibly compete with each other (e.g., to see who earns the most points, does it the fastest/most creatively, or any other competitive manner).

The friends are then able to share their video game segments. The interactive sharing increases the level of sharing and the interest in sharing dramatically. Users much rather participate in gaming as opposed to simply watching others play. Further, users are able to learn from each other and pass on their knowledge/progress.

Click-to-Play

Sharing content is currently very popular. The way sharing content typically works is after a user views an interesting video or hears a song that he likes, the user sends an email or message to one or more friends, including a link to the content and commentary about the content. The one or more friends receive the message and select the link which enables the friends to watch/listen to the content.

Messages, including re-sharing messages, then go back and forth between the friends and possibly additional friends. For video game sharing, users are able to share videos of video game segments, but simply sharing a video of a video game segment lacks important aspects of video gaming.

Description

A video game sharing method and system enables users to share playable video game segments with users so that the users are able to view the video game segments or interactively play the video game segments. When shared, state information for the video game segments is included such that the users begin in the same position with the same relevant statistics. By enabling video game sharing, user enjoyment and video game popularity are increased.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This would fit to the "create" button. But I imagine any patent for the dualsense would have been filed by now? Don't know how that works

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
Patents artstyle is just amazing. An art by itself.

About the patent, that would be a cool feature, if I had any friends.

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
unrelated, but those ties with Bethesda look really strong, if they use their games to show a new feature

Oct 27, 2017
If "Shiggy check this level out" isn't incorporated into the official PS5 marketing campaign I will pre-cancel my pre-order lol.

But this sounds really cool. I believe there was a rumor last year or earlier this year that Sony wanted games to be as accessible as clicking on a movie in Netflix right? This would fit into that.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious how feasible it would even be to implement without the developer specifically implementing this feature, but it's a very cool concept.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
This type of thing would be amazing for roguelikes

Would be awesome in a game like Enter the Gungeon to send savestates of super broken builds.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
"Shiggy, check the ending of TLOU2 out"

...not sure if i like that messaging option.
But options are nice, and i'm sure you can disable those messages.

EDIT:
Adil & Shiggy should do the UI presentation... well, not for real...

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
With so many games these days requiring some form of online authentication I don't see how this will work for most games, something like fallout 4 or last of us sure but what about destiny or a need for speed. Like most games where you want to share cool moments are online. Like is this system wide then a game can choose not to support it? Or vice versa where games have to choose to support it or nothing. I think shareplay and remote play work in everything by default.

Also would I have to own the game my friend shared to me, or does it kick them out from playing? Hopefully we hear official stuff soon.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
yo shiggy watch me cave this dog's head in then zoom in on it in photo mode

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious how feasible it would even be to implement without the developer specifically implementing this feature, but it's a very cool concept.

I'd say 100% game needs to support this. I mean copying whole memory could in theory work (but could leak details of other user), but transferring 16GB of memory over internet wouldn't really work.

GMM

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say 100% game needs to support this. I mean copying whole memory could in theory work (but could leak details of other user), but transferring 16GB of memory over internet wouldn't really work.
Exactly my concerns about it, even if the system is capable of only dumping memory allocations made for the software, it might contain things like login tokens for the piece of software that is running.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
This would fit to the "create" button. But I imagine any patent for the dualsense would have been filed by now? Don't know how that works
Any DualSense patent has probably already been filed, yes, but this would be system-level functionality. There'd be no reason to tie it into a controller patent.

Patents artstyle is just amazing. An art by itself.
Patents generally use this kind of super-simplified art style to make sure that they get the idea across, and don't confuse things with graphical complexity.

Like is this system wide then a game can choose not to support it? Or vice versa where games have to choose to support it or nothing. I think shareplay and remote play work in everything by default.
Share Play and Remote Play are both developer options. They can be disabled on a per-game basis and they can be disabled for specific scenes within a game.

This would probably be the same.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's still a lot we don't know about a system that's releasing in 3.5 months when are they going to tell us about all this

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
There's still a lot we don't know about a system that's releasing in 3.5 months when are they going to tell us about all this
It's possible this feature, even if planned, won't be there at launch.

But yes, there's a surprising amount we don't know about the PS5, though I think most people do expect some kind of UI reveal in the near future, so we may be about to find out a lot of this kind of functionality.