• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
And people said Epic Store coming was just a meme. I mean it's still definitely a meme, but look at all these Steam improvements being brought in by Valve because of it.
Valve makes improvements to Steam all the time, people just rarely pay attention to it. I was thinking about making a thread which lists every improvement made to Steam -- or general PC APIs made freely available by Valve -- in just 2018, but I doubt that would actually change the overall perception.

Also, anyone who implies that this is a reaction to anything happening in the past week or two is either joking or does not understand even the very basics of how development works.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When the Steam client update comes in January because they're stopping support of XP and Vista, can't wait to see the "Epic store did this, thanks Epic!" posts.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense.

If MS wants to make the Windows Store viable at all then they need cross play with Steam versions of games. They have been real hit and miss with that simple thing

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Valve makes improvements to Steam all the time, people just rarely pay attention to it. I was thinking about making a thread which lists every improvement made to Steam -- or general PC APIs made freely available by Valve -- in just 2018, but I doubt that would actually change the overall perception.

Also, anyone who implies that this is a reaction to anything happening in the past week or two is either joking or does not understand even the very basics of how development works.
Assume the later. Always assume the later.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
When the Steam client update comes in January because they're stopping support of XP and Vista, can't wait to see the "Epic store did this, thanks Epic!" posts.
Did they announce that it was coming in January? I hope so. I'm ready for something different. It would be amazing if Valve were to include a way to import all your games from all your various clients into Steam, much like Playnite does. That's what I'm hoping for.

Deleted member 2840

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did they announce that it was coming in January? I hope so. I'm ready for something different. It would be amazing if Valve were to include a way to import all your games from all your various clients into Steam, much like Playnite does. That's what I'm hoping for.
Most people expect it early next year because of the end of support for those OSs. The new Steam Chat doesn't work on them because of the technology used, and it's known that their new client will use the same as the steam chat.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Most people expect it early next year because of the end of support for those OSs. The new Steam Chat doesn't work on them because of the technology used, and it's known that their new client will use the same as the steam chat.
Right right. I forgot about that.

I'm fine with the new chat design. It's very similar but they've improved the visual look to it. The entire client with that treatment would be very nice. I'm wondering if the store itself will undergo any layout changes?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Well, you know, it takes 2 days for Valve to beta test crossplay following Epic's store announcement. Yet it takes 4 years for Epic to have cloud saves. :"")

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
na it just shows how stupid people are, been a good job highlighting people who still now think valve havent done fuck all in years when they have so many features added into store that epic probs wont even dream of adding. epic cant even get fucking cloud saves.

Epic cant even help me recover my forgotten password.

SephiZack

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Knowing how Valve time works, if they really decided to add features in response to Epic Store we would see them in roughly 2 years

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
Epic just got Valve on the run for the money.
That's what happens when you get some competition around

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Valve was obviously going to keep on adding features and improvements regardless of the Epic Store opening. Anyone conflating this rumour (not news) with Epic's recent announcements is just a troll or an uneducated person.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
For what games? Mnay games some games offer cross-play with PS4 and I hope crossplay would be universal now.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I feel sorry for the developer(s) that had to work overtime without going home to make this within 48 hours as an answer to Epic Games. Hopefully the media has the balls to call Valve out on how they treat their employees and the Steam monopoly can finally disappear.

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
I feel sorry for the developer(s) that had to work overtime without going home to make this within 48 hours as an answer to Epic Games. Hopefully the media has the balls to call Valve out on how they treat their employees and the Steam monopoly can finally disappear.
If I'd read that on another forum I'd knew that it is a joke post. But since this is Era I really can't tell lmao

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

I must admit, I've not seen this one previously. :)

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Well, you know, it takes 2 days for Valve to beta test crossplay following Epic's store announcement. Yet it takes 4 years for Epic to have cloud saves. :"")
They haven't announced anything as far as I know, so I doubt they are planning on beta testing this any time soon.

Last edited:

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lmao if people are serious about valve responding to epic

Valve Time is a real thing so anything they have in response to them won't see the light of day for another 2 years at the minimum

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love if this meant more/faster Steam versions of MS games, it's a shame to let the multiplayer of games like Gears/Halo/Killer Instinct etc die on the vine on the MS store.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Fighting games need this feature on PC. Player populations are always super low compared to their console counterparts. After Street Fighter V had crossplay I thought it would just be a standard feature for PC ports of fighters going forward but BAMCO set me straight real quick.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Like i said many times i would love to see MS bringing their games to Steam yet keep the Windows store also. The Windows store version is play anywhere tho wich then also explains the higher price because you get two copies. For the rest all crossplay between Steam, Windows store and Xbox. For the games that support it offcourse. MS can also make W10 a requirement even for steam games so they can push W10,
So even when games from MS come to Steam they can still have a benefit of the windows store and also still can push W10.

Absolutely this. It would also give them room to continue working on the Windows Store and eventually try and turn it into a place where PC gamers see value rather than frustration. Especially with Microsoft bringing Game Pass to PC eventually, they really need to rethink the Windows Store because it was originally developed with mobile/tablet in mind but with Windows Mobile dissolved and Surface dropping the RT stuff, it's best to turn that store into a PC centric marketplace with an emphasis on a great CDN. Hopefully Spencer stepping in to provide guidance will help smooth that experience out.

Deleted member 1849

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Era is about the only website where this could be posted and I would genuinely have no idea if it is a joke post or not.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be pretty embarrassing if someone actually thought this was because of Epic. Valve, the company sometimes so slow that people created a meme based on it, magically sprung this up in 2 days....

Era is about the only website where this could be posted and I would genuinely have no idea if it is a joke post or not.

Truth lol. I'm pretty sure it was a joke though.

no1

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 27, 2018
For what games? Mnay games some games offer cross-play with PS4 and I hope crossplay would be universal now.
For any this is an open source method that allows you to put that functionality in your game.

Could I also mention that Xbox Gamepass coming to PC could be a joint effort between MS and Steam?

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
For any this is an open source method that allows you to put that functionality in your game.

Could I also mention that Xbox Gamepass coming to PC could be a joint effort between MS and Steam?

We will be lucky to get Windows Store only games on Steam to start with like Gears 4 and newest Age Of Empires, let alone Game Pass.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2018
Like i said many times i would love to see MS bringing their games to Steam yet keep the Windows store also. The Windows store version is play anywhere tho wich then also explains the higher price because you get two copies. For the rest all crossplay between Steam, Windows store and Xbox. For the games that support it offcourse. MS can also make W10 a requirement even for steam games so they can push W10,
So even when games from MS come to Steam they can still have a benefit of the windows store and also still can push W10.
It would be kinda pointless. If MS decides to release their games on Steam they better abandon WinStore for good then as it will become just a waste of resources. There will be almost 0 PC gamers investing in it after all games will be on Steam.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
It would be kinda pointless. If MS decides to release their games on Steam they better abandon WinStore for good then as it will become just a waste of resources. There will be almost 0 PC gamers investing in it after all games will be on Steam.
The thing is if people buy play anywhere titles on xbox and eventually move to PC they wouldn't have to rebuy their games and Microsoft has them stay in their ecosystem. I don't think it would require as much resources to consider it a waste.

Aug 22, 2018
The thing is if people buy play anywhere titles on xbox and eventually move to PC they wouldn't have to rebuy their games and Microsoft has them stay in their ecosystem. I don't think it would require as much resources to consider it a waste.
It would require to invest in developing and testing a separate version of the game which would have a few thousand sales at best. Probably even less. Hard to call it anything rather than waste of resources. And if people move from Xbox to PC they won't stay in MS ecosystem anyway. They will have an access to a few MS Studios games but other than that they will be a lost customer for MS.

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, this is likely nothing new. As a Steam Controller owner/user this looks a lot like the work they've been doing on that end.

For those who don't know, Steam Controller is now 3 different things: There's the physical hardware, but also the software that adds new features, and the Steam Controller API, which literally is a middleware for developers that makes controller support easier, adding hooks for every controller under the sun, Steam, PS4, XBOX One, XBOX 360, Switch Pro Controller, Generic, etc.

Similarly, Valve has done open source work on VR, handling the 3 different PC formats, as well as positional audio. Open Source Crossplatform play seems like a next logical step