• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
credit to Madjoki
This showed up recently on the githup for the source of steam open source multiplayer matchmaking after the last beta update
5cwCMI0.png

https://github.com/SteamDatabase/SteamTracking/commit/3457ab4e9db51d8eb09c373914a69cb2e3c9815c

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if they could also work out cross progression. That would be awesome.

Also I wonder how feasible it would be to retroactively add crossplay to games like Killer Instinct or Halo Wars Remastered?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Like i said many times i would love to see MS bringing their games to Steam yet keep the Windows store also. The Windows store version is play anywhere tho wich then also explains the higher price because you get two copies. For the rest all crossplay between Steam, Windows store and Xbox. For the games that support it offcourse. MS can also make W10 a requirement even for steam games so they can push W10,
So even when games from MS come to Steam they can still have a benefit of the windows store and also still can push W10.

OP
OP
BernardoOne

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Already? Interesting.

Why then is this beta here? To make it easier for more devs to just use the tool?
There was nothing stopping PC/Win10Store/Xbox crossplay before. That's what MS did for Killer Instinct. But this would a actual standardized way of supporting it from the onset instead of having each dev do their own implementation.

Jadax

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And people said Epic Store coming was just a meme. I mean it's still definitely a meme, but look at all these Steam improvements being brought in by Valve because of it.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I wonder if this means xbox games will come to steam now. I hope. The windows store is so bad

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Like i said many times i would love to see MS bringing their games to Steam yet keep the Windows store also. The Windows store version is play anywhere tho wich then also explains the higher price because you get two copies. For the rest all crossplay between Steam, Windows store and Xbox. For the games that support it offcourse. MS can also make W10 a requirement even for steam games so they can push W10,
So even when games from MS come to Steam they can still have a benefit of the windows store and also still can push W10.
Didn't their initial reveal show Steam integration?

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Yeah but fuck greedy Steam and their 30%. What have they ever done for gaming?

But yeah, this is great if true.

OP
OP
BernardoOne

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And people said Epic Store coming was just a meme. I mean it's still definitely a meme, but look at all these Steam improvements being brought in by Valve because of it.
good lord can we not get these stupid posts that now every inprovement they ever make is because of Epic ? If this is a thing it's definitively been in the works for a while.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
So i looked it up and it seems that so far Killer Instinct (for Steam) does have cross-network play with Xbox One/Win10. Halo Wars DE doesn't have it i think.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2017/09/07/killer-instinct-cross-play-steam-xbox-one-windows-10/
According to this article (27th of September 2017), Rise of Nations for Windows 10 has also crossplay with the Steam version.

https://www.neowin.net/news/killer-instinct-is-now-available-on-steam-supports-cross-play-with-xbox/

Indeed. This is nothing new.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

This sounds pretty much perfect to me.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
Is it competition when this was already being worked on? Valve doing Valve things aka improving the pc ecosytem.
Is it only one or the other? Probably not.

Does Team Gabe not expect "some" competition to crop up at some point?

In a way you guys are giving Steam a bad rap, like they should not be expecting other competitors, or they have been blind to Discord opening a store, or now EPIC opening a store, or Uplay, or Origin, or Battle.net, or Bethesda launcher.

The question you're asking is not what you think it means. What it really suggests is that posters that post stuff like this think Steam is either willfully or blissfully ignorant of the PC games market. And that's probably not the case.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Be awesome if xbox/steam crossplay became the norm

Also, these thank epic memes are already boring

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
If Microsoft and Valve do this I can see it pulling s lot of people over to the Xbox brand. Thing is, if they did why would I even buy an Xbox over a new pc?

Deleted member 300

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Be awesome if xbox/steam crossplay became the norm

Also, these thank epic memes are already boring

na it just shows how stupid people are, been a good job highlighting people who still now think valve havent done fuck all in years when they have so many features added into store that epic probs wont even dream of adding. epic cant even get fucking cloud saves.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
na it just shows how stupid people are, been a good job highlighting people who still now think valve havent done fuck all in years when they have so many features added into store that epic probs wont even dream of adding. epic cant even get fucking cloud saves.
It's usually spouted by people on my ignore list anyway tbh

Deleted member 300

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep - Valve just develop their features based on reaction, with a development time of a few days!
Very efficient!

it like those people on neogaf at the time of the xbox one announcement saying sony changed there selling practices due to the e3 of xbox in a days time lol

seems like people still dont understand features or stuff we see announced or added into things have been planned for months prior

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
It's probably going to help make it easier for crossplay progression between those 2 with this.

cyress8

Avenger
Is it only one or the other? Probably not.

Does Team Gabe not expect "some" competition to crop up at some point?

In a way you guys are giving Steam a bad rap, like they should not be expecting other competitors, or they have been blind to Discord opening a store, or now EPIC opening a store, or Uplay, or Origin, or Battle.net, or Bethesda launcher.

The question you're asking is not what you think it means. What it really suggests is that posters that post stuff like this think Steam is either willfully or blissfully ignorant of the PC games market. And that's probably not the case.
Oh, I know and agree. I made that simplistic statement because of the fact we have so many "Steam has been sitting on their laurels." type of quips going around and that Valve is only reactive and not proactive to anything happening to PC.

Deleted member 30005

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Indeed. This is nothing new.

There's a difference between a game being able to support crossplay with Steam (this was always possible) and crossplay being a standardized feature in the Steamworks API

This just acknowledges that more developers are asking/supporting cross-play and makes the feature easier to implement in future. A sign of the times. There's nothing here that suggests all games with come with cross-play as standard. That's a developer choice and will always remain so.

OP
OP
BernardoOne

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This just acknowledges that more developers are asking/supporting cross-play and makes the feature easier to implement in future. A sign of the times. There's nothing here that suggests all games with come with cross-play as standard. That's a developer choice and will always remain so.
And nothing on my post says it is, it says it's a standardized feature like most other Steamworks feature, and can be used or not by devs.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
good lord can we not get these stupid posts that now every inprovement they ever make is because of Epic ? If this is a thing it's definitively been in the works for a while.

We all know, that all the improvements of the last decade on Steam was because of the Epic store that opened last week.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium

Can't agree more. Please tweet this to Spencer!