• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, that's what I'm trying to figure out atm. It keeps the modified one as a .old and downloads the default one again 🤔

Well I found a way around that way back when Big Picture first appeared and I tried to mod it but it's not ideal.

You can set TrustedInstaller as the owner of the file and then revoke write permissions so Steam doesn't even have the right to rename it and it will eventually launch. Although that triggers the "Updating Steam..." dialog every start and it will stay for 30-60 seconds as Steam tries to get the original file back and fails.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Not being able to easily see which drive my games are installed on drives me up a wall when I need to free up space on a specific drive by uninstalling some games I'm not playing.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
werezompire could you add new pictures for "Cthuhu saves the world" and "Breath of Death VII"? Pretty please? >.<
They both have box arts so that hopefully shouldn't be too hard. I threw together some customs for cthulhu and csh:

AwLl2AX.png
RJqFxYA.png

This animated png stuff is going to be an issue. I can't stop myself.

D9FhUHT.png

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Well I found a way around that way back when Big Picture first appeared and I tried to mod it but it's not ideal.

You can set TrustedInstaller as the owner of the file and then revoke write permissions so Steam doesn't even have the right to rename it and it will eventually launch. Although that triggers the "Updating Steam..." dialog every start and it will stay for 30-60 seconds as Steam tries to get the original file back and fails.
So, apparently the patcher to skinning the (not so new at this point) new chat now can patch the library too which prevents Steam downloading a new libraryroot.css every time, but instead you use a libraryroot.custom.css with different parameters on the steam\steamui folder.
Gonna see how it works tomorrow.

Also, seems like you can use the libraryroot.custom.css to block the What's New and and Recent rows. And to remove icons from the list.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually want to expand on the What's New functionality - I think it sometimes misses a bunch of stuff and it would be nice to see more updates.
Agreed, though I want it to occupy like, half of the current vertical space it does at the moment.

Also would be great if I could copy the text from the news without having to go to the full page, wtf Valve.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
So, apparently the patcher to skinning the (not so new at this point) new chat now can patch the library too which prevents Steam downloading a new libraryroot.css every time, but instead you use a libraryroot.custom.css with different parameters on the steam\steamui folder.
Gonna see how it works tomorrow.

Also, seems like you can use the libraryroot.custom.css to block the What's New and and Recent rows. And to remove icons from the list.

Hmm I see, I don't know how I feel about having another tool launching Steam for me, not because of security concerns but it all seems a bit hacky. I wish there would be a better native solution.

Nov 14, 2017
Hopefully next step is the ability to choose a custom banner too.
Yeah this is really important not just for non-Steam games but also delisted games. If a game hasn't been updated with a unique banner, then the game pulls from marketing images, but a delisted game doesn't have anything to pull from, so the page is just dead black.

Braag

Nov 7, 2017
I had a super slow weekend at work so I created quite a few banners in photoshop for Steam and GoG 2.0 games.
Now you're telling me it supports animated pngs... oh lord..

Deleted member 13148

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's my animated png contribution (Eliza, with 2 different text styles, and one textless):
2iDiigH.png
6P3G3Yw.png
ht0UROB.png

Last edited:

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Any idea when the beta will turn into a proper release? I've read it's bugged out random games like TW: Shogun 2, so I don't want to mess around with it myself.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm I see, I don't know how I feel about having another tool launching Steam for me, not because of security concerns but it all seems a bit hacky. I wish there would be a better native solution.
As I understand you don't need to do that, it's just to make sure it's automatically patched as soon as Steam does some big update that changes the files.

At least I've closed and opened Steam normally instead of using the tool's automatic launcher quite a few times while doing tweaks and it's working fine.

Oct 25, 2017
Think I'm satisfied with the colors now. Have to discover how to adjust the alignment of a couple things and change Metro's font now, but still, looking leagues better than it used to:
unknown.png

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
As I understand you don't need to do that, it's just to make sure it's automatically patched as soon as Steam does some big update that changes the files.

At least I've closed and opened Steam normally instead of using the tool's automatic launcher quite a few times while doing tweaks and it's working fine.

Oh okay that changes things, I'll look into it, thanks!

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
As someone with 1mbps up, it was nice to see the upload progress of the steam cloud save. Now it's just a spinning icon.

Last edited:

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Soooo how do I filter games from specific Family Sharing libraries? Are they always mixed with my own games now?

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
New Patch:

Library:
  • Add screenshots section to pages for non-Steam games
  • Make non-Steam games available when Family View is enabled
  • Fix play bar drawing over the links bar on game details when library sharing is active

Linux:

• Fix titles depending on SDL_image not working on distros that use SDL2 2.0.10

Remote Play:
  • Fix a bug causing some games, including shortcuts, to be unavailable for streaming.

SteamVR:
  • Changed the desktop overlay to switch from the physical mouse back to laser mouse (from the HMD or control) on a click instead of a timeout.

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
And another one:

Library:
  • Replaced Home and Collections navigation buttons with Library menu options.
  • Hid empty collections from game list.
  • Added a "filter by platform" button to Linux and MacOS that will filter the current game list to only games that run on the current platform.
  • One-time reset of Steam Skin selection when receiving this beta update or when first receiving the new library update. This avoids un-updated skins causing failures when opening the new library.
  • Deleting screenshots taken in VR now also deletes the stereo version from the local disk and the cloud. Note that cloud deletion only applies to screenshots uploaded in the future, not existing shared screenshots.

Linux:
  • Fix GPU crashes and overlay corruption with games that use Vulkan async compute, such as DOOM 2016.

Remote Play:
  • Decreased stream latency and reduced frames dropped due to host CPU load
  • Fixed launching VR games from the Steam Link
  • Fixed rare Steam client crash when running the network test
  • Added support for Wake on LAN over wireless connections with properly configured wireless adapters
  • Fixed steam client crash under certain combinations of remote play with non-Steam apps, or on the second launch of SteamVR.

Steam Input:
  • Fixed several bugs around action set layer switching
  • Reduced Steam Input's overall CPU usage when active

Oct 31, 2017
After few days of use I can really say I'm liking this new library a lot.
Far more than I ever imagine I would care about. I never gave much of a damn about "organizing" the libraries and when I read some of these features I expected to not care about using them one bit, but they made the UI so visually appealing and simple to use, which changed my mind about it.
I also like the new per-game page and the way it shows more info than before and the interface is fairly snappy as well.

BUT

here comes the big downside: I'm a bit weirded out by how poorly this new library fits with the rest of the client. It gives a bizarre Frankenstein effect where when you move to other sections, it seems like you are using entirely different softwares.
I hope they are going to work around this over time.

EDIT: Wait, what the hell? They just removed my two favorite buttons in the new UI with the last update. What's this bullshit?

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yeah I much preferred the home button vs the drop down.

Also I've noticed occasionally it will hit my cpu pretty hard with the new library. Closing and reopening Steam fixes it but it will cause the popups to render very slowly till I close it.

2700x @ 4.2. It'll use one core about 30% not horrible usage but like I said it causes lag in menus. Typical cpu usage of it is nil

Anyone else see this?

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I much preferred the home button vs the drop down.

Also I've noticed occasionally it will hit my cpu pretty hard with the new library. Closing and reopening Steam fixes it but it will cause the popups to render very slowly till I close it.

2700x @ 4.2. It'll use one core about 30% not horrible usage but like I said it causes lag in menus. Typical cpu usage of it is nil

Anyone else see this?
I'm on a 3700X and I'm not noticing any stuttering, but maybe I don't have as many games as you do.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The change will probably be reverted, since the client will have to move on from the old design at some point. As a side note, a proof of concept by a steam user which makes the home and collection buttons a bit more space efficient:
OP0Ices.png
Edit: On the positive side, the library feels more responsive after the last update. No stuttering so far.

Oct 31, 2017
Eh, at least those buttons would be back in that redesign.
But the buttons being "big" was a big part of what made them comfortable to use.

Not gonna lie. Without the quick shortcut to go back to "home" and the visualize the collections" I personally feel literally NO incentive to sort my library in any way.
I don't want to click little "+" and ""-" to reach for things, nor I want to open and close dropdown menus.
I liked having a big fucking button that lead me there instantly. One click I was in "Home", another click I had the TILED collections ready to be selected.
It worked perfectly for me.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Would it be that hard to just include the option of Home/Collection in Settings, and let the user decide? Seems weird they went from one extreme to the other. :/

Oct 25, 2017
The change will probably be reverted, since the client will have to move on from the old design at some point. As a side note, a proof of concept by a steam user which makes the home and collection buttons a bit more space efficient:
This is nonsense though. The only thing you get from making them smaller is having the possibility of of some collections being on screen without having to scroll them, if the user has a lot of collections and keeps most of them closed/only small ones open... with the trade off of making people way less inclined the use of the the buttons to swap between visualizations and interact with their collections.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm on a 3700X and I'm not noticing any stuttering, but maybe I don't have as many games as you do.
my library is about 700. I have set up a bunch of shelves on my home for the library, maybe 10 or so. I have few animated custom arts I am not sure if they are the culprit. It doesn't happen often but it does randomly maybe I notice once every few days or so.

Oct 31, 2017
This change sucks so much.
They literally removed my favorite searching tool in the new UI.

It made to go back and forth between full library and individual collections extremely snappy and visually pleasing.
If I have to be honest I have absolutely no interest to bother with "collections" if i have to go trough a convoluted series of steps every time I want to change what I'm visualizing, or through "sniping" minuscule little buttons in a tiny corner under a drop down menu.

I will probably just go back to a big list of "Installed games" and quick searching by title until these buttons (or a good replacement for them) are back.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
While Home is redundant, I imagine something like this will end up happening

Sz89HfD.png

And now with the icon placement change, there's plenty of room for those icons and more. Hopefully they add options for larger icons, as I imagine they can help people who can't deal with tiny ones.

Just let Valve know in the beta forum, they are quick to add/remove/fix things.