• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
If anyone wants to test out the new features with Outer Worlds

Custom Cover, BG, Logo / Logo 2, and wide header for the recent list

Yl7dWUA.png

SYhwKzK.png

I'm loving the update.

Last edited:

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Added some covers for games that I didn't think were likely to get one anytime soon, or ever (like delisted games, or games with updated/definitive editions).

Probably asked already, but does Steam locally store the images permanently when you add them? Wondering if I need to keep the folder of cover images I downloaded. If so I'll shove it in the Steam directory.

Parsnip

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Works well.

dsSYXzQ.jpg

In case all you all didn't know, they have templates for the art assets up in this blog post, it's pretty useful for the hero image in particular. https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamworks/announcements/detail/1597002662762032240

Added some covers for games that I didn't think were likely to get one anytime soon, or ever (like delisted games, or games with updated/definitive editions).

Probably asked already, but does Steam locally store the images permanently when you add them? Wondering if I need to keep the folder of cover images I downloaded. If so I'll shove it in the Steam directory.
You'll find everything in \Steam\userdata\youridnumber\config\grid\

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
have noticed on last couple builds that on boot up steam will crash and need to be forced closed and reopened doesn't happen consistently but happens often enough. See on Steam forums others have been experiencing this as well.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Anyone know how to separate your games from those shared with you? I did a cursory glance and couldn't find it.

As it is now all games are lumped together.

Oct 25, 2017

Antipode

Jul 25, 2019
I still dream of a 3DS-style Activity Log for Steam. I want to sort my Steam library by recently played, most plays, total playtime, and average playtime per session. I'd especially kill to see a line graph of playtime in my library over time, to see the rise and fall of my interest in certain games over the years. Steam clearly already logs playtime information, but all they give us is that basic "total playtime ever" stat for each game - I just want to use the info in more interesting ways! I'm losing hope that this new library will improve things.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
anybody got a template for the new steam banners? I tried making some but it basically crops part of the image off.

Check out this template here. You can open it up in Photoshop or GIMP:

In case all you all didn't know, they have templates for the art assets up in this blog post, it's pretty useful for the hero image in particular. https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamworks/announcements/detail/1597002662762032240

Pyros Eien

Oct 31, 2017
have noticed on last couple builds that on boot up steam will crash and need to be forced closed and reopened doesn't happen consistently but happens often enough. See on Steam forums others have been experiencing this as well.
Yeah I've had Steam crash on boot a few times already since I started using the new stuff, and honestly can't remember Steam crashing in the past 15years other than that, so stability is a bit of an issue. Overall I'd say the changes don't make too much of a difference for me either, and some of the choices were weird(can't reorder categories that I could find, so I had to name a category with a sign first so it appeared on top of the list).

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
Have a feeling it's gonna be a lot tougher to find suitable banner art for older games than it is for the custom game art.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
They really took customization further than I could have expected them to, even allowing you to adjust logo position.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Those APNG's are going to look mighty nice!

I really love the new layout of the game pages. It's starting to really come together.

My whole thing about the artwork and how many games aren't being updated to the new standard is.. why don't they allow us to upload game cover and banner art to the community hub, and then give us the ability in the client to 'automatically use the artwork' we've selected from the community hub instead?

That way it's portable and happens automatically. We wouldn't have to manually do it all the time. It would essentially crowd-source artworks for the games, and our libraries would be all completed in no time.

iwam

Aug 7, 2019
My whole thing about the artwork and how many games aren't being updated to the new standard is.. why don't they allow us to upload game cover and banner art to the community hub, and then give us the ability in the client to 'automatically use the artwork' we've selected from the community hub instead?

I believe publishers weren't so fond of that idea, so it wasn't implemented. There are plenty of great sites for Steam's old banners though; with time, I'll imagine they'll adapt to the new format.

Talus

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
I believe publishers weren't so fond of that idea, so it wasn't implemented. There are plenty of great sites for Steam's old banners though; with time, I'll imagine they'll adapt to the new format.
Yea. I can understand the publishers side on that.

I just wish Valve would give us the ability in the client to use crowed-sourced repository of artworks and banners automatically in the client. Then we wouldn't have to go through and manually do it every time. It seems like GOG and even Playnite have that functionality.

Or is there a way I don't know about to manually add all the custom artworks I want, and then have them automatically work with a new installation of Steam?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Seems that the Library is going out of Beta this week AND the default template is changing:
unknown_4.png

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they won't choose a shitty font for the generated covers. Most of the client has boring yet safe choices and I hope it stays like that.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yea. I can understand the publishers side on that.

I just wish Valve would give us the ability in the client to use crowed-sourced repository of artworks and banners automatically in the client. Then we wouldn't have to go through and manually do it every time. It seems like GOG and even Playnite have that functionality.

Or is there a way I don't know about to manually add all the custom artworks I want, and then have them automatically work with a new installation of Steam?
So, both GOG and Playnite scrape IGDB for their cover art, which would be a fantastically bad idea for Steam to copy as it'll be abused immediately.

Oct 25, 2017
I still feel like this needs a couple more rounds of improvement before going out of beta; but also I've fallen more and more in love with it.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good news: 15 covers were updated today in my library, presumably after Valve's nudge
Bad news: 270+ remaining