• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
This is looking very good and I sure as hell hope this revives the Beat'em'Up Genre. Please!
Anyone remember Fighting Force? This was fun as well.

Clocian

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Apr 23, 2018
If the music is good, I'm there day 1. It looks amazing

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
God I hope Adam, Max, Skate, or Zan are playable too. This game looks so fucking good.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I am a huge SoR fan but when this was unveiled the art-style totally put me off and this wasn't even on my radar.

The GIF in the OP has changed that!! I'm now sold. Day one.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow I came in here to say that the art style is gross and the entire first page is people admiring it. Man I must be the problem lulz.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
i'm just glad we never got some ugly 3D sequel, this looks properly made and the first look is promising.

Blaze is high tier, not sure about Axel yet.

Last edited:

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
When did they announce platforms? I noticed in the article that it's coming out for everything (which is awesome), but I don't recall an announcement.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't stand the art design, Axels design and in that 6 second clip the way Blaze walks looks insanely stupid. Just not feeling this :(

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
After finishing Wonder Boy this week, I'm a lot more excited about this. I'm especially curious to know how the music is going to turn out!

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
I'm usually good at gauging overall sentiments towards an aspect of an upcoming game by looking at them. I look at something and go "my opinion is this, but I think I could see why some people would think this instead".

This tho, I don't get the seemingly extreme divisive perception of the artstyle in here. I think it looks really good and I'm taken aback by half or more people commenting here being down on the art style.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't 100% sold on the art style but it does look decent in motion. From the limited footage we've seen so far I would say I'd like to see more parallax elements in the finished product to give the backgrounds more depth. A lot of modern revivals of this genre tend to feel a step back from the classics with that.

I certainly think it looks miles better than every rejected SOR prototype over the years though so I'm happy.

Axiology

Nov 2, 2017
Looking good! Especially because I just recently got into Streets of Rage 3 (or specifically Bare Knuckle 3), which has now topped 2 as my favorite. My only concern is that I didn't see any running. Sure it's just a 6 second clip, but if you can't run that would lower my enthusiasm considerably. It's hard to go back to SoR2 after you get used to 3's gameplay...

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
These guys pitched it and made it, so it's this or nothing. And for someone who thought the franchise was 6 ft under, this is amazing. Besides, what's more important is that they clearly have a vision, and have some very talented animators, even if the style is a departure. A traditionally hand animated 2D game is a rare treat, and think some people are clueless not to realize that.

But even I'll admit it's not perfect. The fx on the specials could be better. Right now they're too in your face, aren't as well animated as the characters, and block the action. But there's still time so I'm sure they'll keep tweaking. Also the new lighting is making the characters blend into the background. Hope they push the contrast a bit.

I'm a fan of SoR2, and honestly I never thought it was that dark or gritty. It was honestly quite colorful, with silly villains, secret bases and street chicken. It gave the impression it was gritty, due to the stark contrast and the game being largely at night. There were dark stages, but overall it was rather flamboyant looking.

Streets-of-Rage-2-16.gif
streetsrage2_06.png
Streets_of_Rage_2.png

Yeah to me it seems too tame for the exaggerated comics look I assume they're going for, not sure if they're trying to stay close to the original art or what it is, the reveal trailer got my hopes up that they would go for a much more wild art style.
The actual line work is great though and the backgrounds are amazing with tons of details. I like how the edges light up on the characters close to fire/windows on some screens too, not sure how that's done, if it's static or actually reflects on the characters but it looks great.
Not picking a fight but curious what would be an example you say of a "wild" artstyle you'd hoped for? More pushed animation and proportions like Skullgirls?

klee123

Oct 27, 2017
I've grown to like the art style. Blaze looks great.

Axel still looks like a hobo though imo.

SimonM7

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
This is actually shaping up really well. When I saw it last I thought it looked a bit tacky, the way high res, "clean" sprite games often do, but the lighting and stuff is really creating a much softer and warmer look than I was expecting. I still think SoR plays *great* - like, infinitely better than any other brawler - so if they just keep that intact and don't make odd steps backwards in the series like Double Dragon Neon did, I suspect I'll enjoy this a lot. :o

It also honestly took me a bit of readjusting after Sonic Mania made me want updates to a bunch of Sega games that just took the exact same sprite style and simply did cool new modern things with it.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Still think Axel looks a bit chunky, but otherwise this is hot hot hot on my 2019 radar. GIMMIE!

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
That looks pretty darn good!

Was just thinking I'd love to see Lizard Cube do a Fantasy Zone game with hand drawn art.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Looks a lot like Double Dragon Neon, except in 2D. The 90s attitude cartoony malformed characters especially.

IMO, Double Dragon Neon was a misinterpretation of the original aesthetics but at least an attempt to do something new.
Double Dragon 4 was a lazy cheap mess.
Contra 4 is how you do a years later numbered sequel - the same style but amped up.

This is closer to Neon than DD4. But not enough like Contra 4.

Apr 21, 2018
These guys pitched it and made it, so it's this or nothing. And for someone who thought the franchise was 6 ft under, this is amazing. Besides, what's more important is that they clearly have a vision, and have some very talented animators, even if the style is a departure. A traditionally hand animated 2D game is a rare treat, and think some people are clueless not to realize that.

But even I'll admit it's not perfect. The fx on the specials could be better. Right now they're too in your face, aren't as well animated as the characters, and block the action. But there's still time so I'm sure they'll keep tweaking. Also the new lighting is making the characters blend into the background. Hope they push the contrast a bit.

I'm a fan of SoR2, and honestly I never thought it was that dark or gritty. It was honestly quite colorful, with silly villains, secret bases and street chicken. It gave the impression it was gritty, due to the stark contrast and the game being largely at night. There were dark stages, but overall it was rather flamboyant looking.

Streets-of-Rage-2-16.gif
streetsrage2_06.png
Streets_of_Rage_2.png

Not picking a fight but curious what would be an example you say of a "wild" artstyle you'd hoped for? More pushed animation and proportions like Skullgirls?
I see what you mean.
Ancient's games(sor2 and 3) were colorful, sometimes weird (Aliens, robot-grandfathers) but sega am7's version was more realistic, serious(sor1) I think people complaining want the first one.

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Beyond my feelings on the artstyle, I'm probably more disappointed that they are using the same movesets I played with back in 1992.

That doesn't excite me at all.