• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
I really don't like this art style. I don't think SoR was ever meant to look like a comic. It was going for realism and probably would've been rotoscope style if they made a fourth game.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That muted video is really teasing me. Get Yuzo Koshiro on this thing!
All I need is some dope music and they'll have my money
The look does nothing for me.

Hopefully the gameplay is at least good.
Don't love the art style.

But

Gimme Yuzo and I'm in.

I got you covered :)

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
Lookit, background animation! Look, Blaze's Kikou-sho obviously isn't complete! (Her hair and belt stay in spot after the attack, as opposed to how well Axel's clothing and hair rest after Grand UPPA). More enemy variety and animation, our new "Snake Scarf" girl actually gets an in-game frame, and the backgrounds have a nice, solid detail to them with all the linework, that helps the more flat, colorful characters pop. And the bits of lighting look more like 2D highlights, rather than style-dimishing gradients that so many 2D studios are plugin-in to their games.

This looks "Floaty" in the same vein that something like Battle Circuit looks floaty. Part of the point is to get the enemies moving through the air for your control, rather than going for knockdowns. Axel doing 3 moves in the air looks NICE, I wonder if this means he'll be able to jump after an upper, for an "Aerial Rave"?

Lizardcube is impressing me with their balance of beautiful animation paired with work they actually seem able to finish. They seem to have good heads for the entire project they're working on, rather than just over-doing things at the get-go, and needing to reduce their ambition as time goes on. Golgoth Studios seemed really guilty of this. We've also seen a lot of that from LabZero and the devs of Battle Chef Brigade. I think a lot of people (and even the artist themselves) underestimate the complexity of High-Definition 2D. I hope they're able to maintain this quality all the way to the end.

This is a great reason why I'm not worried that we haven't seen more characters and such yet. This stuff takes time.

It's interesting to see the difference in how different developers create their assets for characters. The lab zero team for instance would have all of the frames of animation for any particular motion completed in a rough form before they would start coloring them in and shading them. While it looks like Lizard Cube likes to fully polish each individual frame before moving on the the next frame (or at the very least the incomplete frames or not added into the shown game until finished.)

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I love Streets of Rage and I adore the art style in The Dragons Trap... but the chunkiness of the characters here doesn't look right to me.
All these recognizable designs but stretched horizontally.

I'm still gonna get it but yeah not feeling the art style for this one unfortunately.

OP
OP
Mega Man Zero

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it means anything, but IGN tagged it for everything. PC, XBO, PS4, Switch. Could be that they just tagged it with everything because they don't know, or maybe they do. 🤔

Happy Puppy

Oct 29, 2017
The game looks really good. I'm really digging the artstyle, been a while since I've enjoyed a beat'em up.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I've shared this before, but this is a story about how I wondered for years if there would be a fourth since I erroneously thought the third attended on a cliffhanger:

I always played on the easiest difficulties as a kid because sometimes I'd lose all my lives even on the easiest difficulty. So I'd always get to this:

E2A41CBAB505C4791B4C2691E09973F7E149E74C

2AA9C5D4108E8D941EC6A96878E5D820E44C70C7

I didn't realize that the robot was mocking me for playing this on the easiest difficulty and trying to tell me to play on a harder one. So for the longest time, I thought, "Man, I wonder what's going to happen in the sequel since that wasn't really Mr. X."

It was only last year that I realized there were other endings and watched them.

GENESIS--Bare%20Knuckle%20III%20english%20translation_Jan9%2021_40_30.png

Moral of the story:

Git

Gud

I think what's funny about the easy mode ending, is that in other endings Mr. X is shown to not have his body anymore. So who the hell is that in the easy mode ending?

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I think once there is proper gameplay with music and sound effects it will feel more cohesive, like in that short clip above

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I dont understand the vibe this game is going for.
Yeah to me it seems too tame for the exaggerated comics look I assume they're going for, not sure if they're trying to stay close to the original art or what it is, the reveal trailer got my hopes up that they would go for a much more wild art style.
The actual line work is great though and the backgrounds are amazing with tons of details. I like how the edges light up on the characters close to fire/windows on some screens too, not sure how that's done, if it's static or actually reflects on the characters but it looks great.

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
I think it looks fucking amazing and much more reminiscent of signature Megadrive-era Streets of Rage than before - with the neon night streets, elevators, cops and nods and influences that are true to the ethos and spirit of the original games - and I say that as someone that was lukewarm on the art style in the initial reveal. Almost seems like they changed direction for the last few months and intentionally tried to make the game look more like classic SOR as a response to the mixed feedback. Game looks like light years better now IMO - like a visually stunning and beautiful comic book in-motion.

For those worrying about gameplay - impressions from a build at PAX ranged from "fucking amazing" to "rad as fuck" if Twitter is anything to go by - meaning even in an early state it supposedly plays like a dream too. Koshiro has been speaking to the devs and is probably involved so once he's confirmed - more than sold.

I've wanted a Streets of Rage 4 since the infamous Dreamcast one was cancelled - and this really looks like a worthy and beautiful successor. Day 0.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
I really don't like this art style. I don't think SoR was ever meant to look like a comic. It was going for realism and probably would've been rotoscope style if they made a fourth game.
… Eh, we got stuff like that with Final Fight Streetwise and Fighting Force in general. And then we have things like The Takedown and Raging Justice. I mean, if anything, the art would look more like Ayano Koshiro's art:

022.jpg

More at the SHMUPlations SOR2 translated Interview.

I think it honors the SOR name that this game doesn't look just like every other BEU that's come out in the past 5+ years. Not Fight'N'Rage, Dragon's Crown, and not like the Scotty P games or even Double Dragon Neon or DD4. It's made into it's own thing, and not just an attempt to cash-in on something else.

It's interesting to see the difference in how different developers create their assets for characters. The lab zero team for instance would have all of the frames of animation for any particular motion completed in a rough form before they would start coloring them in and shading them. While it looks like Lizard Cube likes to fully polish each individual frame before moving on the the next frame (or at the very least the incomplete frames or not added into the shown game until finished.)

Yeah, I don't think many show the roughs in gameplay to the public. It was always cool to see with SG's during their early previews, though! It sounds like there may have been something like that playable behind closed doors for SOR4 too. I liked the bit of sketchy-for-motion looks we got in the reveal trailer.

I love Streets of Rage and I adore the art style in The Dragons Trap... but the chunkiness of the characters here doesn't look right to me.
All these recognizable designs but stretched horizontally.

I'm still gonna get it but yeah not feeling the art style for this one unfortunately.

I definitely understand the feeling, but including the shots shown in the animated premiere, it just seems to be how the artist draws. And I definitely don't think that's bad overall. Once we see the full game, the "stretch" feel will diminish, and it'll just be "The Style of SOR4".

I don't know if it means anything, but IGN tagged it for everything. PC, XBO, PS4, Switch. Could be that they just tagged it with everything because they don't know, or maybe they do. 🤔

That's how Dragon's Trap was released, right? So wouldn't be too surprising. Even if it doesn't hit all at the same time, it'll probably be ported everywhere eventually.

Not having the original composer is one of the few downsides

It's probably just in negotiations right now. Considering how active Koshiro still is, I'm sure he and all of Ancient are willing to contribute to this.

I hope they put the Streets of Rage 3 dash in it. It inproved the gameplay a lot

Eh... it did make it feel more modern, but I really never liked it all that much... except on Zan. It'd actually be pretty nice to see various playstyles of SOR spread between the characters. Or even just variations for each. But that's a bit too far ahead of where we're at now...

I don't like the effects. They look corny. I know I'll catch flack for this but I'd rather have particle physics like in KI.

Just as a note, they did mention that the effects were still a WIP before. But otherwise...

...Naaa. Like, why? Why would you want particle effects in a 2D hand drawn game to be something that's not used anywhere else in the style? Generally when that happens, it's because of a lack of budget, or talent to draw the stuff themselves.

They'll keep iterating, so hopefully they start to add some transparency, and maybe additional fragmentation to the tail end of the animations. That might make a best-of-both-worlds feel.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Third screen is just decking a dominatrix in the face. That's Streets of Rage alright.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Lookit, background animation! Look, Blaze's Kikou-sho obviously isn't complete! (Her hair and belt stay in spot after the attack, as opposed to how well Axel's clothing and hair rest after Grand UPPA). More enemy variety and animation, our new "Snake Scarf" girl actually gets an in-game frame, and the backgrounds have a nice, solid detail to them with all the linework, that helps the more flat, colorful characters pop. And the bits of lighting look more like 2D highlights, rather than style-dimishing gradients that so many 2D studios are plugin-in to their games.

This looks "Floaty" in the same vein that something like Battle Circuit looks floaty. Part of the point is to get the enemies moving through the air for your control, rather than going for knockdowns. Axel doing 3 moves in the air looks NICE, I wonder if this means he'll be able to jump after an upper, for an "Aerial Rave"?

Lizardcube is impressing me with their balance of beautiful animation paired with work they actually seem able to finish. They seem to have good heads for the entire project they're working on, rather than just over-doing things at the get-go, and needing to reduce their ambition as time goes on. Golgoth Studios seemed really guilty of this. We've also seen a lot of that from LabZero and the devs of Battle Chef Brigade. I think a lot of people (and even the artist themselves) underestimate the complexity of High-Definition 2D. I hope they're able to maintain this quality all the way to the end.

This is a great reason why I'm not worried that we haven't seen more characters and such yet. This stuff takes time.

This man speaks for me from now on, until I revoke their Power of Forumney.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Just in case any of the developers are watching, not everyone thinks your game looks like shit. I think it looks good if a bit early in ways, keep it up :P