• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
They need to sort out the box art and add the freaking apostrophe back in. I tweeted them about it and they made a joke about it. It's there for the Xbox game. Sort it out!

P.S. Has anyone bought the physical game? Interested to know if the spine includes an apostrophe.

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a game that's right down my alley! So glad this revised version turned out well.

I gotta ask though... what's up with the NWR review?

Who knows, maybe he could have a crossover with another Nintendo fox someday. While the Switch has no shortage of great 3D platformers, New Super Lucky's Tale shouldn't be too far from the top of your list.

Is that a Star Fox reference? Does this game have any similarities to Star Fox whatsoever, or is it just a meaningless throwaway line?

But more importantly... what is this "no shortage of great 3D platformers" proclamation all about? Unless a bunch of Switch games in my favorite genre completely flew under my radar, the only great 3D platformer on the system is Odyssey. There's also a good one in A Hat in Time, and... what else (besides now New Super Lucky's Tale)?

If I'm missing out on a deluge of quality 3D Switch platformers, I need to know.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Who knows, maybe he could have a crossover with another Nintendo fox someday. While the Switch has no shortage of great 3D platformers, New Super Lucky's Tale shouldn't be too far from the top of your list.

THE CROSSOVER TO END ALL CROSSOVERS!

Fox McCloud

Miles "Tails" Prower

Lucky

And introducing...

Fox Mulder For Some Reason

IN

"What the Fox? An Anthropomorphic Space Combat Platformer Mystery"

Oct 26, 2017
They need to sort out the box art and add the freaking apostrophe back in. I tweeted them about it and they made a joke about it. It's there for the Xbox game. Sort it out!

P.S. Has anyone bought the physical game? Interested to know if the spine includes an apostrophe.

I've seen the box and I THINK it has the apostrophe on the spine...

But then they did a massive goof and typed their name as Playful Corps (with an added "s", so it'd be pronounced "Playful Core") in the copyright section.

And the Wwise logo in the IP Info page when you click + on the Switch menu is massive where they forgot to implement a fixed size with the other engine logos.

... and the game lacks Cloud Save function because WHY NOT. :P

Like, there's a surprising amount of tiny goofs with this game. Nothing that affects the game itself, but yeah, baffling.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I played halfway through the original release on Xbox and thought it was a charming but heavily flawed game. But I'm really impressed with what I've played of the demo off of the eShop; my memories of the Xbox release are hazy, but I do not remember the game feeling this good to control. Probably gonna end up buying it since I love platformers, and Astro Bot is the only 3D one that's really scratched my itch this gen

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
But more importantly... what is this "no shortage of great 3D platformers" proclamation all about? Unless a bunch of Switch games in my favorite genre completely flew under my radar, the only great 3D platformer on the system is Odyssey. There's also a good one in A Hat in Time, and... what else (besides now New Super Lucky's Tale)?

If I'm missing out on a deluge of quality 3D Switch platformers, I need to know.

Fe is pretty good. Kind of like an artsier take on Spyro

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please tell me this has a snow level with nice music. I've been itching for one of those for a while.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
just played the demo. basic platforming that reminded me of PS2-era platformers. the game is charming and i liked the visuals/music. added to the wish list, will get it if it ever goes on sale.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen the box and I THINK it has the apostrophe on the spine...

But then they did a massive goof and typed their name as Playful Corps (with an added "s", so it'd be pronounced "Playful Core") in the copyright section.

And the Wwise logo in the IP Info page when you click + on the Switch menu is massive where they forgot to implement a fixed size with the other engine logos.

... and the game lacks Cloud Save function because WHY NOT. :P

Like, there's a surprising amount of tiny goofs with this game. Nothing that affects the game itself, but yeah, baffling.
Dang. Talk about half-arsing things.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
Help me ResetEra. I'm an old man, been gaming since Atari 2600 days, and I know that Microsoft has done some crazy things with Nintendo this year, but this game.....it was mediocre on Xbox based on Metacritic but Microsoft actually funded this game to make it better on a competing system? Why? And why not patch the Xbox One version to at least match the Switch version. I mean I'm happy about this but it's just so baffling to me.

kirbyfan407

Oct 25, 2017
Help me ResetEra. I'm an old man, been gaming since Atari 2600 days, and I know that Microsoft has done some crazy things with Nintendo this year, but this game.....it was mediocre on Xbox based on Metacritic but Microsoft actually funded this game to make it better on a competing system? Why? And why not patch the Xbox One version to at least match the Switch version. I mean I'm happy about this but it's just so baffling to me.

I might be wrong, but I don't think Microsoft is involved with this Switch version.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
microsoft didn't fund this version. the IP belonged to the developer (playful studios), MS just handled publishing for the original release. in this release they've expanded the game and are publishing it themselves.
i do find it odd that they're not patching the other versions (or releasing the enhanced version as DLC), but they're a small team. maybe they're concentrating on the switch release for now and will do it later.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
microsoft didn't fund this version. the IP belonged to the developer (playful studios), MS just handled publishing for the original release. in this release they've expanded the game and are publishing it themselves.

ok that makes more sense I was just so confused!

When I plan purchases I make these list of games and if the game released on another platform and has a consensus review and it didn't score well, I normally don't consider the purchase upon release but when this game was announced for Switch, I saw the reviews, but saw that they were improving the game so I kept it on the radar. Glad I did because clearly this game is good now.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I am playing the demo atm and idk exactly why but I think this is a game I would enjoy way more in handheld mode than in docked mode.

Game looks great, but it is pretty simple graphically to be fair.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I am playing the demo atm and idk exactly why but I think this is a game I would enjoy way more in handheld mode than in docked mode.

Game looks great, but it is pretty simple graphically to be fair.
Also, the ground diving, with the previous jump of course, is surprisingly gratifying.

ginnokane

Oct 28, 2017
In the November eShop thread, someone mentioned the possibility of getting this game (physical) from walmart for $33 dollars, but I haven't seen any deals about it anywhere. Anyone here heard about this?

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
In the November eShop thread, someone mentioned the possibility of getting this game (physical) from walmart for $33 dollars, but I haven't seen any deals about it anywhere. Anyone here heard about this?

No real deals other than that $33 is just the usual price for a $40 game at Walmart. Just like approximately $50 is the price for a game that would be $60 elsewhere at other brick and mortar places.

See threads like this: https://www.resetera.com/threads/walmart-new-releases-50.143799/

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bout to hop, bop and collect everything this weekend. 😁

PIpxEpq.jpg

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
there's a few, but these lists are kinda scraping the bottom of the barrel (and calling some games platformers when they're not)

Dang, bottom of the barrel is right, lol. Of the ones that are actually 3D platformers, the only arguably great ones are Spyro and Crash (and Odyssey, of course).

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Waiting for the physical copy to launch in the UK, Game Collection have it for sub £25. However, got to wait 5 weeks to get it. Game looks good, have played a demo at EGX a few years back.

On a plus, Pokémon is out next week

Deleted member 19996

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Woot, that's my SelectButton review.

I was actually really surprised by the game. I played both the Rift release and the Xbox One version previously. I was shocked at how different and smooth NSLT feels. It's a tad on the short side, about 12 hours to beat, but I still have to collect more pages to 100% the game.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I like games with cute animal protagonists but this one seems like that type that's made specifically for a very young audience.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for the physical copy to launch in the UK, Game Collection have it for sub £25. However, got to wait 5 weeks to get it. Game looks good, have played a demo at EGX a few years back.

On a plus, Pokémon is out next week

Yeah, there was no way I would be playing it now as I am currently finishing up Luigi Mansion 3 and with Pokémon releasing next week, all of my focus is going on that.

I have got it pre-order and ready to play it when I am done with Pokémon.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
Is this game worth playing if I 100%'d the original? How much of it is "new?"

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
I like games with cute animal protagonists but this one seems like that type that's made specifically for a very young audience.

After i just completed the demo (only missing one hidden page damnit) i gotta say it really doesn't feel any more for a young audience than Spyro did for that matter, which didn't hinder my enjoyment at all for that game so i'm gonna assume it'll be the same here. Besides that though, top notch experience, controls well, looks pretty good and the flow is pretty much there, controls are not AS snappy as Odyssey of course but it easily gets the job done. Most importantly, the game exudes this 3D platformer atmosphere that has been missing in games for quite a while now, not sure how to describe it but it just feels "right". An easy buy once it hits a discount (i'd get it at full price but a bit short on cash these days and too many games already)

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Marking a Pretty good game down to 6/10 Because it isn't very challenging seems rather mean spirited.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
A game being easy is no more a flaw than a game being hard
But if the reviewer happens to hate too easy or too difficult games, it's valid, don't you think? I mean, either extreme can definitely ruin one's enjoyment of a game.

I'm such a big fan of 3D platformers that I'll probably give this one a chance, but I am worried that it'll feel too mindless (like the Kirby games!) because of the lack of challenge.