• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
But if the reviewer happens to hate too easy or too difficult games, it's valid, don't you think? I mean, either extreme can definitely ruin one's enjoyment of a game.

I'm such a big fan of 3D platformers that I'll probably give this one a chance, but I am worried that it'll feel too mindless (like the Kirby games!) because of the lack of challenge.
Oh it's certainly with regards to the reviewers preferences and on how well the difficulty was handled. It's just that I notice much more ire if a more challenging game gets knocked down for being too hard rather than the other way around whereas I never saw either as a problem

Well I wouldn't call those mindless but, if a lack of a challenge is a concern, then, yeah, there are better options elsewhere if challenge is what you're looking for, if what reviews say is any indication

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a game that's right down my alley! So glad this revised version turned out well.

I gotta ask though... what's up with the NWR review?

Is that a Star Fox reference? Does this game have any similarities to Star Fox whatsoever, or is it just a meaningless throwaway line?

But more importantly... what is this "no shortage of great 3D platformers" proclamation all about? Unless a bunch of Switch games in my favorite genre completely flew under my radar, the only great 3D platformer on the system is Odyssey. There's also a good one in A Hat in Time, and... what else (besides now New Super Lucky's Tale)?

If I'm missing out on a deluge of quality 3D Switch platformers, I need to know.
The Spyro remake is pretty good too.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Marking a Pretty good game down to 6/10 Because it isn't very challenging seems rather mean spirited.

I wouldn't considered it mean spirited Platforms have evolved so there are outliers that focus on a good concept or outstanding story but most live and die purely by how good the gameplay is, what you do majority of the time is platforming and for a game like this it is entirely dependent on how good the platforming actually is and if he found it boring and not challenging that is a flaw of the game, its core gameplay.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
It's 30. Mostly stable with non-intrusive drops here and there. I'd say it's a lot more reliable than A Hat in Time right now.

makes sense i guess... at times i felt like i wasn't sure whether it was the framerate or the fact that Lucky simply feels a bit slow to move.. For what it's worth though...the camera controls like a charm :) (for a 3D platformer anyway)

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
Oh it's certainly with regards to the reviewers preferences and on how well the difficulty was handled. It's just that I notice much more ire if a more challenging game gets knocked down for being too hard rather than the other way around whereas I never saw either as a problem

Well I wouldn't call those mindless but, if a lack of a challenge is a concern, then, yeah, there are better options elsewhere if challenge is what you're looking for, if what reviews say is any indication
I can't say I've noticed this ire you speak of, but it would make sense that people within hardcore game communities generally encourage challenge rather than lack thereof. A game that doesn't test the limits of its mechanics can feel unsatisfying to many.

That being said, I find both extremes problematic and prefer when games hit the right difficulty balance, and/or let you choose what works for you. :)

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
The main problem with Super Lucky's Tale on Xbox One was the controls, which was far too loose for a platformer. Not obvious if they fixed that or not.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The main problem with Super Lucky's Tale on Xbox One was the controls, which was far too loose for a platformer. Not obvious if they fixed that or not.

Slightly different acceleration but it doesn't control much different than 3D Mario games do now. I actually really like, plus it looks pretty darn good too. It looks native res in both modes and is super clean, and it's nice to see that after having to play games like Crash & Spyro which are very definitely not native res.

Even though it's a simpler art style, I prefer the IQ to that of Luigi's Mansion 3. They're both fantastic though.

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Slightly different acceleration but it doesn't control much different than 3D Mario games do now. I actually really like, plus it looks pretty darn good too. It looks native res in both modes and is super clean, and it's nice to see that after having to play games like Crash & Spyro which are very definitely not native res.

Even though it's a simpler art style, I prefer the IQ to that of Luigi's Mansion 3. They're both fantastic though.

I thought the game was pretty charming, but I had big issues with the imprecise controls in Super Lucky's Tale. Mario is far better, Lucky is like he's walking on ice which made me give up after I'd died for like the 82nd time and it wasn't my fault. The camera didn't help either.

I'm playing Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair right now, what a difference! What a gem of a game.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 1/2 way through the second world right now. I'm really enjoying it. The side scrolling levels were a nice surprise.

underZ

Feb 2, 2018
I played this to 100%, as others have stated the game was incredibly easy but it's still super enjoyable and absolutely worth playing. Looks great, plays well and is full and charm. I hope they use this as a springboard to make a bigger, better and more challenging sequel.

I'll note that I did use a homebrew patch with overclocking for 60fps but default 30fps performance seemed fine.