• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
nslt-poster-landscape_feature.jpg

I know that New Super Lucky's Tale doesn't generate a lot of excitement or discussion around here, but as someone who has been pining for the return of 3D platformers other than Mario for years now I feel that New Super Lucky's Tale is the best and most authentic of all the recent attempts from indie developers over the last few years. Yes, the game is too easy. Yes, it runs at 30fps. But taken as a whole, the feeling that I get from playing it is the closest to how I felt playing the AA platformers of the PS1/PS2 eras.

Games like A Hat in Time and Yooka-Laylee have been at the forefront of an indie-led revival of the 3D platforming genre in recent years, and both of those games had their own share of successes and failures with regard to capturing the magic of the vibrant, kinetic platformers that they sought to reference and emulate. NSLT is similarly focused on evoking nostalgic memories of older 3D platformers, but I personally feel that it is more successful in doing so than any other indie effort within this genre.

Switch_NewSuperLuckysTale_E3_screen_05.jpg

The villainous family of cats standing in Lucky's way are all full of personality and endearing in their own ways.

The game might seem a bit uninspired or overly derivative at first glance, but once you start playing it for yourself you'll see that it's crammed full of charming characters, diverse and colorful locales, delightful music, and easy-but-fun platforming. Running and jumping around these cartoon worlds stuffed with hidden collectibles as a jubilant fox makes me feel like a kid again, and my 2.5-year-old son loves to watch it just as much as he's loved watching me play through various Mario games.

You know that Playful did something right when a game like this captures the fascination of my toddler son because other similar games have failed to. He loves anything Mario, but when I showed him the Crash and Spyro remakes he lost interest quickly. Something about those character designs or maybe even the core gameplay just didn't hold his attention like Mario and now Lucky consistently do.

2019111116155000-2F53EC5ABE8D93C7B8CFE7A3C40C0A38-1024x576.jpg

Do you like exploring hub worlds with doors to the game's various themed levels? Because I sure do.

To those of us who have been around for decades and lived through the last years of AA development on the PS2/Xbox/GameCube, a game like NSLT might seem like a comfy, albeit derivative return to an older style of game. But I could totally see younger kids getting into this game with fresh eyes now and looking back on it very fondly as their first memorable 3D platformer experience alongside games like Mario Odyssey.

I'll share this video that I came across as well because I think it does a good job conveying the passion of the team and their mission to create a new game with classic 3D platforming sensibilities:

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
This game came out on Xbox and no one noticed it. Come sout on the Switch, and suddenly gets acclaimed.

I've played the demo and I didn't noticed many differences.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Downloaded the demo.
I must admit I've only tried it for 5min last night but I can't say I was impressed with what I saw.
I'll give it another go though, I wonder if the demo is meaty enough to show the game.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This game came out on Xbox and no one noticed it. Come sout on the Switch, and suddenly gets acclaimed.

It controls and plays so much nicer on the Switch version, for one. It's also not a port of the Xbox version, almost akin to vastly improved remake.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Switch demo impressed me more than I expected. I really enjoyed it. I'll definitely grab it at some point. That said, out of all the recent 3D platformers I've played, I'd give Hat in Time the nod ahead of anything else (not sure how the Switch port it) - it had some clever/different level design, some awesome boss fights and a great soundtrack.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Nice looking game, but I'm gonna be that guy and say this game truly shines at 60fps, which the switch version doesn't hit.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I played it. Found it very forgettable tbh. Very very bland and uninspired.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Thankfully they made a demo. It's super short, but managed to be very forgettable at the same time. Not for me :)

Nov 18, 2017
Played through about half of the game on Xbox and boy it was pretty uninspired. It felt pretty derivative of 3d world and tbh i found the cast of characters pretty grating.

Now a hat in time on the other hand, that genuinely to me felt like something from the PS2/NGC era and had me grinning from ear to ear like an idiot.

I didnt think Lucky was bad, hell probably found it better than Yooka-Laylee but well i dont know how put it. If a Mario game is made for Everybody then i felt Lucky was made just for Children.

How big are the differences in the switch port?

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017

switch version is a better experience but the xbox one also came out alongside Mario Odyssey, Sonic Forces and Bubsy Woolies Strike Back. The conversation was taken up by praise for Mario or dunking on the two major trashfires so middle of the road Lucky kinda faded out.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Having played the demo a few times, it's very fun. That said, it's much too easy. I ended up going with Yooka Laylee and hat in time for a bit more challenge, but look forward to grabbing lucky down the road.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
A Hat in Time charmed my socks off (on PC), but the Luckys demo didn't do much of anything for me, but it was so short I couldn't accurately gauge things. Everyone calling it super easy is kinda offputting though.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
I liked a Hat in Time waaay more, but this game is much better than Yokaa-Laylee.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Does anyone know if this is the exact same game that's on Gamepass? I want to play it, and if all things are equal I'll just use GP but if the Switch is upgraded or expanded I don't mind dropping the 40 bucks on it.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for the physical release, but extremely excited for it. It looks so damn good!

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
By far my favorite character introduction so far has to be Tess. See the first 30 seconds of this video:

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ive also played Lucky Tales (when it launched on Xbox), yooka laylee, and a Hat in time.

I enjoyed lucky tales so much more than the other two, it was a fun little simple little game. There was some borky platforming at times but generally it was great.

Its one of those games where the review scores and my own scores are totally different.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I've been keeping my eye on it because it had the misfortune of releasing after Luigi's Mansion 3 and before Pokemon Sword/Shield. I really enjoyed the demo as I liked how tight the controls felt. I mean sure it does feel easy but that's okay since there's room for relaxing platforms and more challenging ones. To me, it feels like a PS2/GC/Xbox era platformer that's a mishmash of Banjo Kazooie, Mario 3D platformers, and a few other games.

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Waiting on the physical release in 11 days time. Played it on Xbox at EGX a couple of years back, was a shame i didn't have an Xbox as i probably would have picked this game up sooner.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Mechanically, I really enjoyed it. Lucky is charming enough but the world didn't really sell me. but I can easily see myself playing through it...after I finish A Hat In Time, which IMO OP, should be the true subject of your post.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Mechanically, I really enjoyed it. Lucky is charming enough but the world didn't really sell me. but I can easily see myself playing through it...after I finish A Hat In Time, which IMO OP, should be the true subject of your post.
I'm in a tough spot with A Hat in Time. I'm sure I'd love it, but the best version is clearly on PC. And for some reason I never feel like playing 3D platformers on PC. I'd much rather play it on my Switch, but that port is garbage.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I've shown the previews to my 4 year old (who loves Mario and Kirby and LEGO games) and he hates it, doesn't even want to try it for free off of Game Pass. So there's that.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Indie?

I played the version that originally released on Oculus and absolutely loved it.

I think both this and Astrobot have done wonders for Virtual Reality third person platformers. I have not tried this in non-VR however. It's probably the right sort of title for the Switch.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a ton of fun with this on Oculus last year. Really need to get it out and play it again but it's so cool to have another tight platformer on Switch for my collection. Easily my favorite genre.

I'm in a tough spot with A Hat in Time. I'm sure I'd love it, but the best version is clearly on PC. And for some reason I never feel like playing 3D platformers on PC. I'd much rather play it on my Switch, but that port is garbage.

There is a Hat in Time 60fps patch for modded Switch. I can't say if its 60 all the time but it's a much better experience.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Playful is a really talented studio. I really want to see what they could do with a higher budget. Nintendo, fund these people!

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I did enjoy it quite a bit on Switch, but it's far from polished. There are frequent long frame skips that make you miss crucial jumps/landings, tons of objects with no collision detection, invisible walls and weird bugs. One time the audio died until I had finished the level, another time the character wouldn't move anymore, and I had to quit the level and lose my progress.

Another problem is how abruptly the game ends, and how deceivingly short the post-content is, with very repetitive art and music.

The core gameplay is fun though, and it's still really satisfying to 100% the levels, despite it being easy. Compared to other super easy games like recent Yoshi and Kirby games, I enjoyed this one a lot more.

kiriku

Oct 27, 2017
My first experience with Lucky's Tale was the VR version for Oculus. It was one of the first VR experiences I had actually, but tbh I don't think that game would have been nearly as cool on a regular screen (and it got way too difficult for me towards the end). But yeah, I realize this is not the same game so maybe it has evolved since then. Either way, the studio seems to be in a pretty good spot though: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-09-02-playful-raises-USD23m-in-series-a-offering

blondkayvon

Oct 26, 2017
This was the first thing I bought on my Switch lite and I played it exclusively there. I really loved it! Collecting everything in every level was immensely satisfying to me.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Finished it on xbox and picked up the DLCs as well.
Really fun game. Much better than I thought it would be.