• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
This is one of the best platformers to be released this decade. But I would only double dip at full price at this point under one of two circumstances. First, if they added online 4-player co-op.

Nintendo expects me to pay for their online service now but their games either lack full and obvious features (Super Mario Party), is a complete mess (Smash Ultimate) or simply do not have online play at all despite the game being based around multiplayer (NSMB). I don't think that's acceptable at this point.

Second, I could look past that if they did something that absolutely would be worth $60 and this was something like New Super Mario Bros. All-Stars: NSMBU, Luigi U, an HD remaster of NSMB Wii and remakes of NSMB and NSMB2 from DS and 3DS using assets from Wii and Wii U. That would have been day one for me.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
The best 2D mario game

Buy it people, don't pay attention to the wahh wahh hating crowd

If only for that Bowser Castle music!

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Rivals SMB 3 and SMW as a Mario 2D GOAT.

Hopefully my Smash double coins come in soon, and I can use them on this.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Already pre ordered it at The Game Collection for like £35 when they were doing a 5% off thingy a few weeks ago so I'll pass on the digital version. Cool to see though that the 2x Gold Points is here as well.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Preload? This definitely goes with Reggie's comment about wanting to give people a reason to buy a Switch after Christmas. The game is clearly already done and ready to go.

As a Wii U owner, I'll also echo the sentiments that this game is great and I'll probably pick up this and the other rereleases once they're Players Choice.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The biggest things are the inclusion of all of the NSLU content and the addition of a playable Princess Peach (through a powerup for Toadette, who is also now playable).

Nabbit is also playable in the base game now too, instead of just NSLU.

There's some smaller stuff too, but those are the biggest things.

I totally forgot it included the Luigi U expansion too. Never played that, just the base game (which I didn't finish).

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
£50 is a big ask. I paid less than that for it back in 2012.

Edit: it is a good game though. Best of the NSMB games, but I'd hope if we get another 2D Mario game, it's a bit more ambitious.

Imo 3D World is the better game, I hope that get a Switch port eventually.

DarkPrince

Dec 2, 2017
Sold 1.67 million units as of 30th October.

Isn't that the region it sold on Wii U? Mario Kart 8 is at like 10 million sold because it's a completely different style of game, it's worth going in again for it on a portable console, it's easier tp jump into with other players, this game isn't it's also one of the few titles that is easily available on Wii U and at a very cheap price, I expect this to drop in price quite frequently. Makes no sense for this to be anywhere near that price range, now had the title been Super Mario 3D World I'd feel quite differently.

Would be surprised if this gets anywhere near 2 million.

Oct 29, 2017
The preload a month before launch?

That's perfectly normal. Not early at all.

You know what game did get a very early pre-load though? Super Mario Party. That was available for pre-load for around 4 months before launch! Nintendo literally sat on a finished game for all that time, purely for scheduling reasons (and it worked BTW!)

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was also £49.99 in UK. Didn't seem to harm it's sales.

I'll never understand the crying about price on Wii U ports. It's a new game to the vast majority of Switch owners. It's digital. It's a Remaster considering it will run at over twice the resolution to the older version. It has the Luigi DLC included. You can take it on the go and play in handheld mode. You can play local mp on the go with the small screen and joycons attached. It's £10 cheaper than the other big first party games on the eshop.

If you've already played it on Wii U and don't think it's worth the money then... don't buy it.

For people who've not played it definitely pick it up if you like the genre. It's the best 2D Mario outside of 3 and World imo. It's one of the best launch games ever.

I'm happy to pick it up at launch to play through it again. I have like £9 in eshop points to put towards it too!

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
That's perfectly normal. Not early at all.

You know what game did get a very early pre-load though? Super Mario Party. That was available for pre-load for around 4 months before launch! Nintendo literally sat on a finished game for all that time, purely for scheduling reasons (and it worked BTW!)
I think PS4 games are up for preload no more than a week before launch.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'll never understand the crying about price on Wii U ports. It's a new game to the vast majority of Switch owners. It's digital. It's a Remaster considering it will run at over twice the resolution to the older version. It has the Luigi DLC included. You can take it on the go and play in handheld mode. You can play local mp on the go with the small screen and joycons attached. It's £10 cheaper than the other big first party games on the eshop.

If you've already played it on Wii U and don't think it's worth the money then... don't buy it.

For people who've not played it definitely pick it up if you like the genre. It's the best 2D Mario outside of 3 and World imo. It's one of the best launch games ever.

I'm happy to pick it up at launch to play through it again. Have like £9 in eshop points to put towards it too!

Some people already own the game digitally and the DLC.

I'd just like Nintendo to throw me a bone for having supported the Wii U when the market in general didn't, and offer some discount for people who already bought these games.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Another Switch game I'll pass on because of the unforgiving price. Honestly probably would have justified it at $50. Oh well 2019 is still going to be a great year for the Switch.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The excuse for full price for Tropical Freeze was "its one of the best games ever, its worth it!".

So what's the excuse for this game, since the "its one of the best games ever" doesn't apply here.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Am I pleb for being so annoyed that this isn't just called "New Super Mario Bros. Deluxe" rather than still having the U in the title that I really just may not buy it? Why is the U there. Dumb.

Edit : Oh, and it's 60$? Yeah in that case, it should have been more of a NSMB collection anyway. And my title would have made MORE sense! But yeah, gonna skip this for now. It will still sell though.

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still astounded that Nintendo wants $60 for these years old Wii U ports, but it seems to be working for them judging by the Tropical Freeze and Hyrule Warriors numbers.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
Not buying a Wii U is turning out to be the best gaming decision I have ever made. Only missing Xenoblade Chronicles X at this point.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I will probably get this later. But since it is a Nintendo first party game it will rarely ever get cheaper which sucks. The game is not worth that price point.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if I want to double dip on this one. I can't imagine the bump in resolution adding that much to the experience.

The Wii U version was cool but nothing revelatory.

Dec 2, 2017
I honestly think this - and paricularly Super Luigi U - have a strong case for best 2D Mario; it's the endpoint of a ton of evolution and polish. After years away from Mario it had me playing through multiple times and sent me back to play through all the games in the series I'd missed. Have fun, Switch owners. Go into it with an open mind and you're in for a trip.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Nintendo can sell these ports with this price because literally no body bought a Wii u 💀 It's practically a new game for the whole general public

Talent won

Hell i barely even played the wii one.

But still, £50 is fucking woof. Nintendo makes it really difficult to jump into new franchises with there pricing

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That would imply it's an enhanced rerelease of the DS game, though.

Yeah, but after seeing it's 60$ see my edit. It should be anyway. But they know Switch's base is constantly hungry and that no one gave a fuck about the Wii U so it's games barely even existed in the mainstream. This shit's still gonna sell a lot. Normally I don't mind these Ninty Switch ports, but this is kind of pushing it. They really should have made this a NSMB collection if it's gonna cost that. I would be happy to buy it then.

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have you been in a coma since the switch launched ? Because that's exactly the price of other WiiU ports on Switch (MK8D, PokkenDX, Bayo1+2, DKC:TF, Hyrule Warriors). Heck, Captain Toad was even 10$ more expensive. (also, this is not NSMBU alone, it has New Super Luigi U too, but this was also sold on WiiU, so still a port)
Captain Toad was 40$ at launch as well for wii u

Khrno

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
For those that had it on the Wii U, this is not worth it at this price.

But for those that never had it on Wii U (or had a Wii U) it is completely worth the money, the amount of content with both the base game and the Luigi levels are great.

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
I can get it for around $13 at Best Buy.....sounds like a plan. I don't see me playing days gone st launch and nothing else really jumps out for me to buy until Animal Crossing releases (if that's before e3)

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The excuse for full price for Tropical Freeze was "its one of the best games ever, its worth it!".

So what's the excuse for this game, since the "its one of the best games ever" doesn't apply here.

It's absolutely one of the best 2D platformers and with Super Luigi U a part of the package as well, it's absolutely worth $60.

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is one port I'll probably pass on, I played both games on the Wii U and don't feel the need to play them again. For those who haven't played them though, I do think this is a nice bundle and worth the price.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What exactly makes this the best 2D Mario game? People actually mean it's better than 3/World?

I haven't played a 2D Mario in a long time and this has been on my radar.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
But for those that never had it on Wii U (or had a Wii U) it is completely worth the money, the amount of content with both the base game and the Luigi levels are great.

I would argue that is not even worth the money in that case since there are way better 2D platformers on the Switch alone like DKCTF and Rayman Legends.