• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Australia. Nintendo Land
I had this on the Wiiu and no one was interested playing it with me because they hated the wiiu but now that all my friends own a switch , I can't wait to play this with them ohh and 3D world please bring that too Nintendo lol

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
here's the icon:

1544jjich.png

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Preordered this new experience!

After 5x pages, not one mention of co-op... I guess it's not fun for a seemingly drop-in/out Mario game?

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
What gets me the most is that they're keeping the U in the title. Not the fact that it's a full price port. Not that it's a port of a launch game and its DLC. Just the fact that they kept the U when it stands out like a sore thumb.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
I understand posts where people explain why they will not pay $60 for a port. But the "FUCK NINTENDO 4 EVA!!!!!" posts as if Nintendo forced every Switch owner to buy NSMBU are just dumb.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I can get the digital version for $20, I'll buy this for the Switch.

Let's be real, I'll never buy this for the Switch. Same with DKC Tropical Freeze.

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't play the main game or the luigi DLC on the Wii U. So this is going to be a day one purchase for me. Excited to play through it

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Luckily I still have my Wii U and recently bought this for $25 so I have no incentive to buy it for my new Switch. I'll be able to skip spending money on BoTW, Mario Kart and Donkey Kong due to owning them already on the Wii U.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure I'll repurchase this, but I'm very happy more people will play this game. NSMBU is easily the best 2D Mario game and it's a shame it didn't sell more.

People complaining about the price: the game sold substantially less than its full potential on Wii U.

NSMBU: 5.77 million
NSMB2: 12.82 million
NSMBWii: 30.22 million
NSMB(DS): 30.80 million

NSMBU being the lowest selling game is no fault of the game itself and is a travesty. Nintendo would be very foolish not to sell it at full price.

And unlike other games they've done this with like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, you're not missing out on anything if you choose not to repurchase. Stuff like Mario Kart 8 feels like charging $60 to keep playing a game you already own online. Mario Kart 8 sold 8.42 million on Wii U and 11.71 million on Switch.

Furthermore, NSMBU + NSLU was $80, so this is technically a $20 price cut.

Also, comparing it to Donkey Kong and Rayman is silly. They're all different games that play very differently from each other and one experience doesn't replace another. Donkey Kong is great but it plays very little like Mario, and NSMBU is the best 2D Mario game. Play them both.

What gets me the most is that they're keeping the U in the title. Not the fact that it's a full price port. Not that it's a port of a launch game and its DLC. Just the fact that they kept the U when it stands out like a sore thumb.
New Super Mario Bros U is the name of the game... it would be very foolish to change the name for a port. They need to be transparent about what the game is and not try to trick people who already bought it into thinking it's a new game or has substantial changes. They'd create confusion that would harm future games. Do you want them to rename Super Mario 64 and all the other 64 and Super Nintendo titles every time they're re-released and remastered?

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I understand posts where people explain why they will not pay $60 for a port. But the "FUCK NINTENDO 4 EVA!!!!!" posts as if Nintendo forced every Switch owner to buy NSMBU are just dumb.

I can't imagine why you'd buy this game at all if you already own it, but that's just me.

There hasn't been enough significant new content in any of Nintendo's Wii U to Switch ports to warrant buying them a second time.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
Holy bananas that quite the steep price. Well gonna pass on this and will buy Gris and Celest instead.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
I can't imagine why you'd buy this game at all if you already own it, but that's just me.

There hasn't been enough significant new content in any of Nintendo's Wii U to Switch ports to warrant buying them a second time.
That's what the poster you're replying to is saying. If you already own NSMBU this port adds nothing to justify getting this upset about the price. This port is for the 7-25 million people that don't already own it but should.

It's not like it has an online multiplayer mode like Mario Kart 8 to where it feels like Nintendo is charging you $60 to keep playing a game you already own online, and people ate that up.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Because the Switch is actually a solid platform that I enjoy using. I hated using my Wii U so much that I don't even have it hooked up anymore. Garbage console.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
Never played the Luigi dlc, is it enough content to warrant the double dip or is it just level remixes or what? What the hell is it? How long? More of the same? Harder? Just a speed run type thing?

I beat the main game and loved it but never got the Lugi stuff....In the dark about it. Educate the ignorant please.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
The games are awesome, probably the best 2D platformers of all time with Tropical Freeze, Mario World and Rayman Legends.

But I'll hard pass. I enjoyed the original on Wii U for the golden price of 5€.

it will sell a lot anyway

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't that the region it sold on Wii U? Mario Kart 8 is at like 10 million sold because it's a completely different style of game, it's worth going in again for it on a portable console, it's easier tp jump into with other players, this game isn't it's also one of the few titles that is easily available on Wii U and at a very cheap price, I expect this to drop in price quite frequently. Makes no sense for this to be anywhere near that price range, now had the title been Super Mario 3D World I'd feel quite differently.

Would be surprised if this gets anywhere near 2 million.
It is available on Wii U for cheaper, but anyone that owns a Wii U and wants NSMBU already owns it, and it would cost more money for people who don't to buy a Wii U to get the discount on NSMBU.

It makes perfect sense to be full price because its sales were limited by the Wii U. It should have sold more than 10 million but only sold over 5.77 million. Switch is a more attractive platform for consumers and it makes sense for Nintendo to try and capture those sales that they couldn't get on Wii U.

Man you have no idea. Donkey Kong will probably reach 2 million unless it already have. I'll be shocked if this one doesn't get 5 millions. Lots of people expect significantly more.
Well, we might get an idea if we look at past sales:

Mario Kart DS: 23.60 million
NSMB(DS): 30.80 million

Mario Kart Wii: 37.14 million
NSMBWii: 30.22 million

Mario Kart 7: 17.52 million
NSMB2: 12.82 million

Mario Kart 8: 8.42 million
NSMBU: 5.77 million

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: 11.71 million

I see no reason for this port to perform significantly less than past titles. It should easily clear 5 million and would be more likely to sell closer to 10 million or more lifetime depending on how well Switch continues to perform.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will probably get it, though I do wish that you could play as Peach rather than the freak of nature that is Toadette.

It's name of the game, they even kept 64 when they remade Super Mario 64 for the DS. Star Fox 64 also kept the 64 naming when it was remastered on the 3DS.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
$60 is disgusting. The least they could do is throw the (superior) Wii version in there as well.

The game will no doubt sell millions though because Switch owners have made it clear that they have no problem being price gouged.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how they are going to handle co-op in this version of the game since part of that was making the platforms on the Wii U gamepad.

I had some fun playing co-op with a friend for about half the game (we never got together again to finish).

Buying it again because it looks like it would be a fun play in handheld mode plus I never got to play NSLU.

I buy all the ports though so I am definitely the problem.

Tanooki

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Soooo excited to finally have a 2.5 side-scrolling Mario on the Switch! (although, there is still quite the wait until it's playable lol)

Will pre-download when I get home.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Played this to completion on the Wii U and thought it was just okay, and not particularly special or memorable.

Also -- "New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe" is one of the most ridiculous game titles I've seen since "Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix".... somewhere, sandwiched between all of the modifiers there, is a description of the actual game you will be playing.

Subhero

Nov 18, 2018
I mean, I love Super Mario 2D, but having played it on WiiU and the fact, that they probably have negligible porting cost for the Switch version, this price is a travesty!
(And this is coming from a Nintendo fan)

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch reminds me of the GBA in some ways - one of the best handhelds ever made if, like me, you never owned a SNES, but I imagine a less attractive prospect if you did.

The GBA was the recipient of several enhanced SNES ports of old Mario games, which was great for me. On the flip side, veteran gamers had to wait until the DS for a brand new 2D Mario.

I hope a dedicated 2D Mario is eventually made for Switch (preferably with the much requested Yōichi Kotabe hand drawn aesthetic), but I don't blame Nintendo for milking older titles when they know they'll sell gangbusters.

Oct 27, 2017
The mental gymnastics used to justify the pricing here is astounding. I guess someone should have told Sony to jack up the prices of those Vita ports of Gravity Rush, Tearway, and Wipeout because not enough people got to play them on the poor Vita. Should have sold that Shadow of the Colossus remake for $60 as well, seeing as there are a lot new gamers who weren't around for the original. Bullshit.

It's a poor value compared to ports we've received from pretty much every other publisher under the sun. 3 Bioshock games for $60, 3 Uncharted games for $60 (granted they are missing multiplayer), Remade graphics in Gears of War Ultimate Edition from MS for only $40 and I could go on and on.

Nintendo is only doing this because they can and will get away with it. Doesn't matter if some people haven't played it before, that's true of everything. And it still sold a ton on WII U, 5 fucking million people bought it, that's a damn lot.

But anyway, I'm not trying to shit on the title here or Nintendo. It's a good game and I bought it on the Wii U launch, defintely worth it. I just would prefer that they would fall in line with other publishers here and deliver a bit more value for the money.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Played this to completion on the Wii U and thought it was just okay, and not particularly special or memorable.

Also -- "New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe" is one of the most ridiculous game titles I've seen since "Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix".... somewhere, sandwiched between all of the modifiers there, is a description of the actual game you will be playing.
Just need to strip out the first, second, fourth, fifth, and sixth words in each of those titles to get the best idea!

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Very good game - hopefully people that skipped the Wii U give this a chance; it's my favorite of the NSMB games.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I like the new 2D Mario series but I have plenty to be playing. If it was more of a mid-budget price I'd probably cave but for now I think I'll get a better deal at some point in the future.