• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who's the best player character?

• Mario

Votes: 307 40.9%
  • Luigi

Votes: 189 25.2%
  • Toad

Votes: 63 8.4%
  • Toadette

Votes: 166 22.1%
  • Nabbit

Votes: 71 9.5%

• Total voters

Link the Hero

Jul 5, 2018
Thank you for the tip.

always wonder why the title screen still says to `press l+r' although you can press any button to continue.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Guys, what the hell.

You can disable the spin jump on A/B and have it as trigger only

From the title screen (where it says press L+R to start game), hold in the LEFT STICK for 3-ish seconds, then press L+R to pull up the save file selection screen. The jump button is now only used for jumps, have to use R to spin/twirl. You'll hear a Nabbit squeal noise just as the save file screen pops up if you've succeeded.
...why isn't this just a toggle somewhere.

Seriously, what the hell.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Guys, what the hell.

From the title screen (where it says press L+R to start game), hold in the LEFT STICK for 3-ish seconds, then press L+R to pull up the save file selection screen. The jump button is now only used for jumps, have to use R to spin/twirl. You'll hear a Nabbit squeal noise just as the save file screen pops up if you've succeeded.

Wow. I almost think this deserves a thread. Seriously.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Of course there's a GameXplain video of it too. (It doesn't have to be L+R, though, A works fine too)

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Does this remain in place thereafter on your file or do you have to do this trick every time you boot the game?

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, what the hell.

Absolutely ridiculous. Why would this just not be in the control config?

I mean at least it's there, but it's completely nonsensical. The only reason I can think of was that perhaps as a code they had to do much less programming/test than putting it in options? Who knows? I don't like to use the word lazy, but for a $60 re-release which will probably sell quite well, if that was the reason, it does seem to qualify for the term.

I would expect better configuration options like having this an actual control screen toggle and a modern-era button remap screen so we could use the trigger to sprint or use any of the unused buttons for whatever is most comfortbale. I hope Nintendo get their act together on some of this control config accessibility stuff.

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017

Good lord.

Absolutely ridiculous. Why would this just not be in the control config?

I mean at least it's there, but it's completely nonsensical. The only reason I can think of was that perhaps as a code they had to do much less programming/test than putting it in options? Who knows? I don't like to use the word lazy, but for a $60 re-release which will probably sell quite well, if that was the reason, it does seem to qualify for the term.

I would expect better configuration options like having this an actual control screen toggle and a modern-era button remap screen so we could use the trigger to sprint or use any of the unused buttons for whatever is most comfortbale. I hope Nintendo get their act together on some of this control config accessibility stuff.

Totally agree. Just bizarre as hell.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
5 star'd mario u. super star road 2 and 8 were super challenging for me for some reason, must have spent a few hours only on those two levels.
overall really enjoyed the game, i had really missed 2D mario since my last one was nsmbwii. have to come back for luigi u later, i just wish along with new levels, it had a new world map too.

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
5 star'd mario u. super star road 2 and 8 were super challenging for me for some reason, must have spent a few hours only on those two levels.
overall really enjoyed the game, i had really missed 2D mario since my last one was nsmbwii. have to come back for luigi u later, i just wish along with new levels, it had a new world map too.
5 starred?

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
it's really fun, that's where the challenge of the game really is, just getting to the end and beating bowser (while still fun) is a pretty basic experience.
Yeah, I remember getting pretty far along with this completion on the Wii U version and then Super Luigi U came out and I thought I would play that. Never ended up playing that at all and so I'm excited to try that out for the first time. Also, some of those three star coins are tough to find!

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I remember getting pretty far along with this completion on the Wii U version and then Super Luigi U came out and I thought I would play that. Never ended up playing that at all and so I'm excited to try that out for the first time. Also, some of those three star coins are tough to find!
not only tough to find, but also tough to get. if you're playing co-op it gets a lot easier cuz one person can get them and die and it still counts, but it can get very challenging on single player.

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
not only tough to find, but also tough to get. if you're playing co-op it gets a lot easier cuz one person can get them and die and it still counts, but it can get very challenging on single player.
Exactly! Some of them are right in the middle of the stage, easy as pie, while another on the same level will be hidden behind a fake wall way out of the path of the player. Constant searching and exploring is vital. I look forward to the challenge. Are the 3 gold coins even more difficult in Luigi U?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exactly! Some of them are right in the middle of the stage, easy as pie, while another on the same level will be hidden behind a fake wall way out of the path of the player. Constant searching and exploring is vital. I look forward to the challenge. Are the 3 gold coins even more difficult in Luigi U?
i still haven't played luigi u, but the game is generally considered to be harder so i'm sure the coins will be harder too.

Oct 25, 2017

Not really. Stages are much shorter so it feels like there's typically less places to hide them. There are a few occasions where it's obvious you may have to take a left at the start of a stage and there are a few of them that require a power up, usually the raccoon suit. But a lot of them feel like they're just handing them to you, though that's not to discount the ones that also ask you to do leaps of faith or really risk tight jumps.

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
Not really. Stages are much shorter so it feels like there's typically less places to hide them. There are a few occasions where it's obvious you may have to take a left at the start of a stage and there are a few of them that require a power up, usually the raccoon suit. But a lot of them feel like they're just handing them to you, though that's not to discount the ones that also ask you to do leaps of faith or really risk tight jumps.
I didn't know the levels in Luigi were shorter. Why is that?

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know the levels in Luigi were shorter. Why is that?

Along with the slippery physics, Luigi's higher jump and the timer I guess it's supposed to be a way to have a more compact challenge. You'll definitely be wrestling against all of those things despite the level length if you're trying to get some of the trickier star coins. The shorter length doesn't mean they're worse levels than NSMBU, I actually prefer them to the rather standard challenge of most of the main game. But I think it sometimes hurts some levels which aren't as challenging, engaging, or original as others and just end up coming and going before they feel like they even get started. Especially if they do a poor job at hiding their Star Coins.

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
Along with the slippery physics, Luigi's higher jump and the timer I guess it's supposed to be a way to have a more compact challenge. You'll definitely be wrestling against all of those things despite the level length if you're trying to get some of the trickier star coins. The shorter length doesn't mean they're worse levels than NSMBU, I actually prefer them to the rather standard challenge of most of the main game. But I think it sometimes hurts some levels which aren't as challenging, engaging, or original as others and just end up coming and going before they feel like they even get started. Especially if they do a poor job at hiding their Star Coins.
Interesting, I see. Oddly enough, I played through the Wii U version of NSMBU with Luigi as I always liked his higher jumping ability. The Switch version I've been playing exclusively with Mario so I'm guessing it will be a more drastic change when I finally do get to Luigi U. Thanks for the reply.

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, I see. Oddly enough, I played through the Wii U version of NSMBU with Luigi as I always liked his higher jumping ability. The Switch version I've been playing exclusively with Mario so I'm guessing it will be a more drastic change when I finally do get to Luigi U. Thanks for the reply.

I think everyone in NSMBU has the same physics, but since you're locked to Mario 1-player on the Wii U IIRC I never really could see. NSLU is a very drastic and admittedly ugly change to the physics when you first start but it's quick to get adjusted to and the levels compliment them fairly well with a good flow and short length. The only real struggle I remember having with them was it could be easy to sometimes override Luigi's flutter kicks and raccoon suit glide if you misjudge a jump and decide to course correct too late.

They eventually give you the option to play NSLU levels with NSMBU physics, but by that point I found it really jarring swapping back to vanilla physics and honestly didn't care for the overall game enough to mess around with it. I imagine it would make things a little harder though, so it could be interesting.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I felt you needed to use Luigi's improved jump physics to clear some of the jumps/star coins properly in Luigi U, I changed back to Mario U physics briefly and didn't like the fact that they took away Luigi's flutter jump which is a major useful tool. So changed it back.
I personally felt Luigi U was leagues better than the main Mario U campaign. Shorter more focused levels, faster pace to the levels and just a nicer level of challenge all round (though still too easy for my tastes).

Oct 25, 2017
On to the final world in NSMBU. I have struggled a bit with this game sometimes. Certain stages I just have to come back to later on because I have a bit of difficulty. And then I look and my life counter is at 99 without really doing anything to farm lives. I never use the Toad houses or 1-up houses either. Did all the star coins in the Wii U version so I may skip that and head right into NSLU. Actually played a couple worlds in there already just to get a feel for it.

I'm glad this exists. NSMBU is a fantastic game and it won't be forever locked to the Wii U. Glad more people are getting a first chance to play it. It is easily the best of the NSMB series.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I find myself missing the original controls when I disable the A button mid air jump :x

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
On to the final world in NSMBU. I have struggled a bit with this game sometimes. Certain stages I just have to come back to later on because I have a bit of difficulty. And then I look and my life counter is at 99 without really doing anything to farm lives. I never use the Toad houses or 1-up houses either. Did all the star coins in the Wii U version so I may skip that and head right into NSLU. Actually played a couple worlds in there already just to get a feel for it.

I'm glad this exists. NSMBU is a fantastic game and it won't be forever locked to the Wii U. Glad more people are getting a first chance to play it. It is easily the best of the NSMB series.
Definitely agree with you here. I hope they decide to bring Super Mario 3D World to the Switch as well, that is too damn good of a game to be trapped in Wii U land as well.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just picked this up a few days ago - maybe I'm just out of practice, but I'm finding this game quite challenging. Especially since I breezed through the 3DS iterations of NSMB.

A lot of fun though.

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
Just picked this up a few days ago - maybe I'm just out of practice, but I'm finding this game quite challenging. Especially since I breezed through the 3DS iterations of NSMB.

A lot of fun though.
I remember NSMB2 for the 3DS being a bit on the easier side, especially since they hand out the gold coins like they're going out of style. While I didn't find NSMBUD on Switch too challenging, it definitely is a step up from the 3DS version.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
The challenge mode in U is pretty tough, especially getting all gold medals but for the rest I felt it was fairly easy personally. Hardest stuff I played in the "New" series was some of the DLC in NSMB2 - they had some pretty awesome/hard levels there, which was nice as it was exactly what I was asking for at the time. Well worth a look if your looking for a more challenging set of Mario levels.

Oct 25, 2017
How does the game over works?
I'm playing MP with my gf and sometimes we get game over and reloaded to the last castle, but most of the time just continues, what triggers a game over?
It's really annoying when it happens

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
How does the game over works?
I'm playing MP with my gf and sometimes we get game over and reloaded to the last castle, but most of the time just continues, what triggers a game over?
It's really annoying when it happens

Sounds like you mean when you run out of lives? If all players run out of lives at the same time you go back to the last castle/world start.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, what the hell.

this should be in the OP tbh.

Having played the Wii U version before this and having bought it for Switch on MAR10 day yesterday since the price was finally somewhat worth it, this was driving me absolutely nuts as I tried to bounce off baddies only to have to spin to do a shorter jump and then hold the jump button afterwards.

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
Bought this day one on Wii U, but I got a Switch copy via a GameStop rental and it's awfully nice on a portable - brings back some good memories, without having to hold my nose and fire up the "Why U."

Might just double-dip on this, despite all the flaws and criticism.