• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Who's the best player character?

• Mario

Votes: 307 40.9%
  • Luigi

Votes: 189 25.2%
  • Toad

Votes: 63 8.4%
  • Toadette

Votes: 166 22.1%
  • Nabbit

Votes: 71 9.5%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Nabbit because I'm very bad at Mario games. Upon looking at the Nabbit character design, haha, he/she/it looks funny & charming.

Super excited for undocked MP!

Many thanks for the terrific OT!!

kyo2004

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bogotá D.C.
Since I missed the WiiU train, I'm glad to try this game for the first time since NSMB2 on 3DS...

Hoping the game delivers a good amount of challenges... :)

Pre-ordered and preloaded (with yummi 600 gold coins, damnit Ceave Gaming... XD) for day-1 play... :)

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
This is one of the best 2D platforming packages of all time. I'm probably not double dipping, but anyone who missed it on Wii U should definitely pick it up!

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
It's a marvelous game. I'll pick it up when it gets a greatest hits edition or something. I already played the hell out of it on Wii U.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
I already rinsed this on the Wii U but I'd be happy to pay for proper portability at half the price. I wish there was some kind of loyalty discount for both of us Wii U owners when they port these games.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll be getting it, but I am pretty disappointed we aren't getting 3D World this Friday instead.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
is this something recommended if i am going to play this solely as a single player game?

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Somehow I completely forgot about the other modes. Those challenges are brutal. I look forward to playing through this again when it becomes a Nintendo Select title.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
is this something recommended if i am going to play this solely as a single player game?
It's perfectly playable solo, and if you're into platforming at all that's probably the best way to play. There's fun to be had in the chaos that is multiplayer but it's just that, wild and random and probably best not to take it seriously.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
I wish they changed the horrendous soundtrack and removed the wah wah. Those two things killed my enjoyment of the game. I got sick of them.

This is maybe the worst music and sound design Nintendo has created in all its history.

I admit the challenge mode looks very good to me... but I'm not paying 60 for this again.

Maybe this will sell millions ... despite that I hope this is the last we know of the "new" series... and I hope we get the gorgeous 3D World someday.

I'm on the same boat, ever since the wa wa or bop bops I've been hating the Mario music.

RebelDeux

Nov 20, 2017
I had this game preordered on Amazon but I just canceled the order because I'm still busy with SSBU, also I have BFV ready to play and a lot of series and books to catch up, I will got it eventually later this year, but first I would like to play the Yoshi game.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I'm honestly just a bit disappointed that you can't play the game in multiplayer with four "normal" characters. Toadette is close enough (since you can just avoid Super Crowns and only pick up normal power-ups) but it's really a shame they didn't just bring back Blue Toad. Would've made everything way more simple.

Still, this is one of my favourite 2D Mario games (only behind World and 3; maybe Maker if that counts) and i'm excited to play through it again.

Oct 31, 2017
Tens of hours put into this game on WiiU, I'm ready to do it all over again. Having it in my bag or jacket pocket is a game changer for me. One of my favorite sidescrollers too, so $60 is justified for me personally. Those that aren't double dipping though, I totally get it.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Im excited for this but OP has me a little confused.

Can I still play and enjoy this 100% solo?

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
2D Mario is always a great time, I can't believe I skipped this game. I guess NSMB2 was still fresh to me.

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
NES Controller support!!!! I know what I'll be getting to 100% with now. Pretty hype about this release. My kids can't wait either.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
Nostalgia goggles aside, it's the best 2D Mario platformer.

It really depends on what you value. There's a strong argument to be made for this game having the best level design of the 2D series, but the presentation is weak in my opinion. I ultimately found this game rather unengaging.

It is going to be interesting to see how this reviews.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
great OP! it'll be my first time playing the game. there's nothing quite like a 2D mario platformer, and the last one i played was nsmbwii with my brother, so i'm very excited to play this.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since I never owned a Wii U and this is the second Wii U port that I was hoping for, im looking forward to picking it up and playing it on Friday. The first port was DKC TF. Hoping for SM3DW at some point and I'll be a happy camper.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
I'm in when it hits $40.
That is what is holding me back. I think it is absurd that they take a orevious gen game, only do some monor things to it and then charge $60 for it. This should of been $29.99 or $29.99 at most.
You do realize the Wii U version has been out for 6 years now without an official price drop in the US, yes? (And no, buying used from GameStop/eBay/the yard sale down the street doesn't count as an official price drop)

Rather than lower the price, Nintendo bundled the game, kept the $60 price point and de-listed the non-Luigi U version.

It's a "new" Mario game on Switch. You'll die of old age before there's an official price drop.

There is no reason for Nintendo to release this for less than $60, when the Wii U version is STILL $60.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm still conflicted. Movement, controls and level design are on point. Among the best the series has seen yet!

Music and art direction are very bad. World map design is uninspired and it's secrets are a joke compared to SMW and even 3.
Even playable characters are a letdown (to me).

And the stuff that got added for the switch version doesn't really justify the price tag for me.

BUT Mario and Luigi don't use the wrist straps of the Joycons in the renders. Shows how far we have come since the Wii.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
It's a great game, I hope newcomers will enjoy it. But that price is silly high, so no double-dip for me

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. Starting to doubt my decision to get NSMBU over DKTF after that GameXplain video...

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You do realize the Wii U version has been out for 6 years now without an official price drop in the US, yes? (And no, buying used from GameStop/eBay/the yard sale down the street doesn't count as an official price drop)

Rather than lower the price, Nintendo bundled the game, kept the $60 price point and de-listed the non-Luigi U version.

It's a "new" Mario game on Switch. You'll die of old age before there's an official price drop.

There is no reason for Nintendo to release this for less than $60, when the Wii U version is STILL $60.
Guess I'm not buying it then. I don't buy things that aren't worth it to me. It's certainly not "new" by any stretch of the definition since I've already purchased it at full price and played it many years ago.